AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Advertisement > Deaf Events & Meets
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 11-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
shygirl1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to shygirl1999 Send a message via MSN to shygirl1999 Send a message via Yahoo to shygirl1999
Las Vegas Community?

I didn't see a forum for anyone in Las Vegas, NV. Is there anyone else out there from vegas?
shygirl1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Hwy99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not from Las Vegas, but have lot of interests into Las Vegas and those are all I've known:

LVCSD

Deaf and Hard of Hearing Advocacy Resource Center

DeafNevada.org

There was used to be a website that was called "Deaf Las Vegas", but I happened to found out that it disappeared.

I never heard of a forum specific for the deafies that live in Las Vegas, but this forum is for whole deafies in the worldwide

Hope that helps.
Hwy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
shygirl1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to shygirl1999 Send a message via MSN to shygirl1999 Send a message via Yahoo to shygirl1999
I was asking because ... well ... I don't really have anyone outside my family that I know who is HoH/Deaf(I have a lot of HoH people in my family;no Deaf; so my environment is all spoken/oral). I also want to learn to fingerspell at a faster speed. Right now I am very slow. And I think for me to get better; I need to actually use it more.

I saw that there are ASL meets in Nevada at DeafNevada.org; but I don't know how I would do at that; I only know how to fingerspell. Can I get by with just that in those kind of meets? (I am planning to take ASL 1 at the community college next year sometime)

Thank you for your reply and for the links as well. Very helpful.

Last edited by shygirl1999; 11-17-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Unread 11-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Hwy99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shygirl1999 View Post
I was asking because ... well ... I don't have anyone outside my family that I know who is HoH/Deaf(I have a lot of HoH people in my family;no Deaf; so my environment is all spoken/oral). I also want to learn to fingerspell at a faster speed. Right now I am very slow. And I think for me to get better; I need to actually use it more.

I saw that there are ASL meets in Nevada at DeafNevada.org; but I don't know how I would do at that; I only know how to fingerspell. Can I get by with just that in those kind of meets? (I am planning to take ASL 1 at the community college next year sometime)

Thank you for your reply and for the links as well. Very helpful.
No problemo I personally have a lot of ASL student friends and they start off with the school to learn the ASL first then social with the deafies, I think sometimes the ASL classes introduce the deafies to the class.

Give it some time
Unread 11-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
shygirl1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean; maybe I'm just rushing into things; lol. I used to know a lot more ASL that what I do now. When I was in high school(9th grade); my friend(hearing) and I were practicing ASL together(self-study). Once we meet two girls who were deaf and we practiced with them a little; they knew we were learning. They even gave us ASL pins that said 'I love you' in ASL.

I moved later on to another state and didn't use it at all after that. I think you know the saying ... "If you don't use it; you lose it" ... so true ...
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Hwy99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I know what you mean; maybe I'm just rushing into things; lol. I used to know a lot more ASL that what I do now. When I was in high school(9th grade); my friend(hearing) and I were practicing ASL together(self-study). Once we meet two girls who were deaf and we practiced with them a little; they knew we were learning. They even gave us ASL pins that said 'I love you' in ASL.

I moved later on to another state and didn't use it at all after that. I think you know the saying ... "If you don't use it; you lose it" ... so true ...
I would agree with that sentence, just working on it and someday you can sign just like the deafies
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
shygirl1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea; I'm sure if I keep at it I will get back into it. Thanks
Unread 11-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Hwy99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Yea; I'm sure if I keep at it I will get back into it. Thanks
No problemo