AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Advertisement > Job Offers & Requests
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
deafbajagal
Registered User
 
deafbajagal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,171
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give me a job!

My teaching job isn't paying enough. Somebody please give me a good paying job! *on knees, begging*
deafbajagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 11-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
lilylover72
I love purple!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,943
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear my friend, I am sorry that you didnt get enough money from your job. I wish that i have a job so i can able afford myself. I cannot have job until legal aid is done.
lilylover72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Brian
Registered User
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,750
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about being my personal teacher?

I am sorry to hear about this, DeafBaja. Is it possible to ask for a raise? CTA? NEA?
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Phillips
Lets ride horses!
 
Phillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Spaceship
Posts: 11,183
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go Yahoo and joining "deaf terp" Need more info.. Pm me
__________________

My journal!
http://poochie21.blogspot.com/

***Enjoy life today, Yesterday has past and Tomorrow may never come.***
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Tousi
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17,107
Likes: 25
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
With teachers' salaries in this area being in the 65K range, you might be hard pressed to make more than that unless you have qualifications for a job over that amount.
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
sequoias
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,246
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But but but, I bet your job pays more than what I earn now.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
lumbingmi
Registered User
 
lumbingmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,459
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafbajagal View Post
My teaching job isn't paying enough. Somebody please give me a good paying job! *on knees, begging*
So how much do you make? More than 45k should be good enough. It is how you spend your money rather than how much you make.
__________________
Picard: Seize the time, Meribor, live now. Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
Meribor: I love you, father.




If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.
lumbingmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
deafbajagal
Registered User
 
deafbajagal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,171
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the deal. I'm making $12,000 MORE than I made last year in Las Vegas. When I first agreed to move there...they did promise me a specific salary, however when I got there, I got $4,000 less than promised. And they are taking over $1,800 from my check for medical insurance, taxes, etc. So for the first time since I've became a teacher, I'm flat broke. I can't even pay all of my bills. Plus I started in August (on the 13th)...and I didn't get my first paycheck until October 1! They kind of forgot to tell me that little detail before I moved there. There are other things too but I won't air all of my dirty laundry.

In Arkansas I made over $20,000 LESS but I was very comfortable. I paid my bills and had more than enough money left to play with.

Sad, huh? I've even resorted to going to the public assistance office to get food and basic supplies. I have a Masters degree for god's sake. It's very frustrating. So today I'm job-hunting.
deafbajagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,348
Likes: 3
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafbajagal View Post
My teaching job isn't paying enough. Somebody please give me a good paying job! *on knees, begging*
I don't know how much you're getting paid but sounds like you're being underpaid for it. You have to ask yourself how much do you think you're worth. "Overworked, underpaid" workers are the most profitable assets for their employers because they know most are afraid to ask for a raise or the workers just don't know any better - they are simply not aware of their real value.

Another thing is - maybe you managed your time ineffectively... meaning you spend too much time doing what you do.... on unprofitable tasks. What I'm saying is - let's picture this classic famous example by Harvard professor (a time management expert).

The professor kept a large jar on his desk. There's another box filled with stones - many small stones and some large stones. He asks his students - how many stones do you think can fit into this jar? and everybody made a guess and then the professor filled the jar and asked the students - "is the jar full?" Students would think Professor should fill in many small stones to try to fit in as many stones as possible.

Point is as he said - "if i hadn't put the large stones in first, I would not have been able to put them in at the end, because there would not have been enough room. The large stone represent the important things in life - the most profitable one. and obviously small stone are the one that are insignificant and of a small value but consumes your time.

So.... what am I saying? Know your value! How much do you think you should be worth! Tackle only big stones that brings in $$$$$$$. Don't concern yourself with small stones by accepting bunch of favors that are time consuming and unprofitable. You have a teaching job... and you should be a private tutor after school. Both are a nice big stone. When you take in too many small stones at your work... you end up having no time for anything.

I hope this great wisdom helps because it helped me.
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
deafbajagal
Registered User
 
deafbajagal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,171
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
With teachers' salaries in this area being in the 65K range, you might be hard pressed to make more than that unless you have qualifications for a job over that amount.
That's exactly what I"m telling them...if I make around that range, then I should be okay. I'm not asking for more money...I'm asking for enough money. Bottom line - they are not paying me based on the right Step and all that.
deafbajagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,348
Likes: 3
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafbajagal View Post
That's exactly what I"m telling them...if I make around that range, then I should be okay. I'm not asking for more money...I'm asking for enough money. Bottom line - they are not paying me based on the right Step and all that.
demand it and threaten to report them as Domestic Dissent
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,579
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 11
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
But but but, I bet your job pays more than what I earn now.
What people forget to understand is that we, teachers, went to 6 years of colleges to get our degrees, have to take expensive tests for our certification, and still have to take classes to to keep our certifications valid. It is costly and time consuming and high percentage of us are being underpaid for all the education we posess.

I am being underpaid at my job and if I was single, I would have quit teaching and found something else cuz I wouldnt be able to support myself on my salary.

Now, if teachers arent able to support themselves, that should worry you because many college students are opting not to major in education due to the high demands and low pay that the job requires and that would mean a major teacher shortage crisis.

I understand how you feel, Deafbajagal...we are seriously underpaid for the job we do and if u want to find a different career, I support you. I am having thoughts of finding a different career myself cuz I am fed up with being broke all the time.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,579
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 11
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafbajagal View Post
Here's the deal. I'm making $12,000 MORE than I made last year in Las Vegas. When I first agreed to move there...they did promise me a specific salary, however when I got there, I got $4,000 less than promised. And they are taking over $1,800 from my check for medical insurance, taxes, etc. So for the first time since I've became a teacher, I'm flat broke. I can't even pay all of my bills. Plus I started in August (on the 13th)...and I didn't get my first paycheck until October 1! They kind of forgot to tell me that little detail before I moved there. There are other things too but I won't air all of my dirty laundry.

In Arkansas I made over $20,000 LESS but I was very comfortable. I paid my bills and had more than enough money left to play with.

Sad, huh? I've even resorted to going to the public assistance office to get food and basic supplies. I have a Masters degree for god's sake. It's very frustrating. So today I'm job-hunting.
The govt needs to wake up and see that so many teachers all over the USA cant afford to support themselves. I couldnt afford to support myself without my husband's income and that is just so ****ed up, isnt it? We have our ****ing master's degree and we arent being paid what we are worth.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
IndieVisible
Registered User
 
IndieVisible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 323
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Imagine, some people live with only $18,000 a year. Wonder how they manage?

And then there is real poverty like this 11 year old girl who begs for scraps of bread and pennies!
Afghan girl begs for bread, prays for help - CNN.com

I think we all need to be thankful for what we have and help those less fortunate.
IndieVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,348
Likes: 3
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieVisible View Post
Imagine, some people live with only $18,000 a year. Wonder how they manage?

And then there is real poverty like this 11 year old girl who begs for scraps of bread and pennies!
Afghan girl begs for bread, prays for help - CNN.com

I think we all need to be thankful for what we have and help those less fortunate.
but we can't be thankful when we're in debt and losing our home. We don't live in a poverty-stricken country so their situation does not apply to us. We're in a country where $18,000 is considered as poverty and it's as bad as those in poor country. $200 a month in India or Africa may be considered as Middle Class so it's not really productive to compare their situation to ours.
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #16
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,579
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 11
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieVisible View Post
Imagine, some people live with only $18,000 a year. Wonder how they manage?

And then there is real poverty like this 11 year old girl who begs for scraps of bread and pennies!
Afghan girl begs for bread, prays for help - CNN.com

I think we all need to be thankful for what we have and help those less fortunate.
But why, as teachers, should we live in poverty? It would make us hard to do our jobs effectively if we are stressed and worried about providing food, shelter, and etc for our families? Why do professional athletes get paid 50 million a year?
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
IndieVisible
Registered User
 
IndieVisible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 323
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly I think some may have missed my point, I will repeat it...

I think we all need to be thankful for what we have and help those less fortunate.
IndieVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #18
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,348
Likes: 3
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieVisible View Post
Sadly I think some may have missed my point, I will repeat it...

I think we all need to be thankful for what we have and help those less fortunate.
you think Americans living on $18,000 a year are in any position to help anybody else? they cannot even have 3 square meals and proper house. Try doing that for yourself.
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,579
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 11
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
you think Americans living on $18,000 a year are in any position to help anybody else? they cannot even have 3 square meals and proper house. Try doing that for yourself.
I was going to reply with the same kind of comment but you beat me to it. If I was wealthy and had a healthy cashflow, sure I would help those who are struggling but I am barely able to pay for my needs these days but I do donate clothes and stuff that we dont use anymore.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #20
Cookie Monster
Registered User
 
Cookie Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 815
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Professional Stripper gets good paid plus tips. That is only way to go.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #21
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,579
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 11
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
What about applying for jobs with the Federal Govt? With your MA, you should make close to 100K. My hubby is trying to get me to apply for a job with the Federal govt but I like my summers off due to time with the kids so I am gonna wait. However, if things do become desperate, then I will go for it.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #22
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,348
Likes: 3
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghori View Post
Professional Stripper gets good paid plus tips. That is only way to go.
and I tip well
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #23
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,579
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 11
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghori View Post
Professional Stripper gets good paid plus tips. That is only way to go.
Yea, if I had the body, I probably would go for it since I love dancing naked!
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #24
IndieVisible
Registered User
 
IndieVisible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 323
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
you think Americans living on $18,000 a year are in any position to help anybody else? they cannot even have 3 square meals and proper house. Try doing that for yourself.
I am doing it now, family of four. Of course we get help. Insurance, some food assistance. But we pay our mortgage and utilities. 2 cars, plus gas. It's very hard. Surviving on just $400 a week. barely making ends meet, but still I am thankful for what i have. Two beautiful children, wife, home, job, car. I would love to make more! I use to make 3 times this a few years ago. But I am not bitter nor am I starving or in poverty.

This is poverty..

IndieVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #25
deafbajagal
Registered User
 
deafbajagal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,171
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Jiro is trying to tell you (INdievisible) ...it's not that we are unthankful for what we have...the issue is..we don't have anything to be thankful for. lol

Hmmm...I guess stripping and working for the federal government is on my list now. On a serious note, I'm applying for almost everything now.
deafbajagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #26
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,348
Likes: 3
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieVisible View Post
I am doing it now, family of four. Of course we get help. Insurance, some food assistance. But we pay our mortgage and utilities. 2 cars, plus gas. It's very hard. Surviving on just $400 a week. barely making ends meet, but still I am thankful for what i have. Two beautiful children, wife, home, job, car. I would love to make more! I use to make 3 times this a few years ago. But I am not bitter nor am I starving or in poverty.

This is poverty..
I'm sorry but a family of 4 with mortgage, 2 cars, insurance, and.... computer which you are using for AD - I don't buy it. You cannot have those with just $18,000 a year. What you're experiencing is just about pretty much same as all of us - the lower middle class.

You have not tasted a real poverty yet. Please do not compare Afghanistan poverty to us. We do not live in 1800's, they do. If you really want us to "feel" Afghanistan poverty - try living at drug-infested project home, 1 meal a day, and no mortgage/car/insurance/computer.
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #27
IndieVisible
Registered User
 
IndieVisible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 323
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I disagree. I think we have a lot to be thankful for. We just need to be mindful of what we do have. Also if Jiro is serious, he associates $18k as poverty. Well then I must be in poverty and work, own a home, two cars and support a family of 4 on poverty. We do it. Is it easy? No. Is it fun? Not always.

Like I said before. I think we forget how lucky we are and how better off we are. Nothing wrong with wanting and persuing better, but lets not forget what we have. Poverty is homeless, starvation, no health insurance, no hope, sadness, dispair, and really very painful. I doubt any one here including me qualifies for the true definition of poverty.
IndieVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #28
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,348
Likes: 3
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafbajagal View Post
What Jiro is trying to tell you (INdievisible) ...it's not that we are unthankful for what we have...the issue is..we don't have anything to be thankful for. lol

Hmmm...I guess stripping and working for the federal government is on my list now. On a serious note, I'm applying for almost everything now.
that is what I'm also saying as well. hhmmmm... how about signing up for teacher union organization?
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #29
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,579
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 11
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafbajagal View Post
What Jiro is trying to tell you (INdievisible) ...it's not that we are unthankful for what we have...the issue is..we don't have anything to be thankful for. lol

Hmmm...I guess stripping and working for the federal government is on my list now. On a serious note, I'm applying for almost everything now.
With the way Deaf education is going with the CI movement and the push for oralism only, I have my resumes ready for different jobs cuz after I lose my job to oralism, I am done with teaching.

You will have a job for life with the Federal Govt...
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #30
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,579
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 11
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieVisible View Post
I disagree. I think we have a lot to be thankful for. We just need to be mindful of what we do have. Also if Jiro is serious, he associates $18k as poverty. Well then I must be in poverty and work, own a home, two cars and support a family of 4 on poverty. We do it. Is it easy? No. Is it fun? Not always.

Like I said before. I think we forget how lucky we are and how better off we are. Nothing wrong with wanting and persuing better, but lets not forget what we have. Poverty is homeless, starvation, no health insurance, no hope, sadness, dispair, and really very painful. I doubt any one here including me qualifies for the true definition of poverty.
I am thankful to have a job and everything I have but at the same time, I know I shouldnt be living paycheck to paycheck with all the hard work I do and all the classes I still have to take to keep my job.

BTW, the OP has experienced serious poverty in her childhood so I think she is probably the best person to understand what it is like.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.