AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Relationships > GLBT Lounge
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
View Poll Results: Which you would choice?
Same-sex Marriage 35 53.85%
Civil Union 19 29.23%
No answer or other 11 16.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
PowerON
Registered User
 
PowerON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 37.5, 126.9
Posts: 10,862
Blog Entries: 5
Likes: 2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
Marriage or Civil Union

Which do you prefer? I would go for Civil Union.

My reason, it's quick and easy than pain-in-ass to get real marriage. Sorry.
__________________
• [Illustrator.Blog-alloon.com] •
Don't shoot me! I'm only blogger!
PowerON is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Mrs Bucket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,941
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Canada, same sex marriages are recognised.

Did you know that if you entered in to a civil union, your partner is dying in a hospital room, you would not be granted the same rights as a husband/wife. The rights goes back to the partner's parents.

This is where I disagree with. Gender/sexuality should not play a role in marriage and the government has no right to interfere in this as well.
Mrs Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
PowerON
Registered User
 
PowerON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 37.5, 126.9
Posts: 10,862
Blog Entries: 5
Likes: 2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
Actual....

Quote:
The federal government does not recognize these unions, and under the U.S. Defense of Marriage Act of 1996 (DOMA), other U.S. states are not obliged to recognize them.
If civil union become legal in federal, then you get almost same benefit as marriage.
__________________
• [Illustrator.Blog-alloon.com] •
Don't shoot me! I'm only blogger!
PowerON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
jillio
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I don't see that the GLTB community will have achieved equal social status until marraige is redifined to inlcude all unions that are entered into, no matter of gender. But I would applaud country wide granting of rights to civil union as the first step in that process.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
PowerON
Registered User
 
PowerON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 37.5, 126.9
Posts: 10,862
Blog Entries: 5
Likes: 2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Personally, I don't see that the GLTB community will have achieved equal social status until marraige is redifined to inlcude all unions that are entered into, no matter of gender. But I would applaud country wide granting of rights to civil union as the first step in that process.
Exactly
__________________
• [Illustrator.Blog-alloon.com] •
Don't shoot me! I'm only blogger!
PowerON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Oceanbreeze
Registered User
 
Oceanbreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: S. FL
Posts: 9,991
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Oceanbreeze Send a message via MSN to Oceanbreeze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Bucket View Post
In Canada, same sex marriages are recognised.

Did you know that if you entered in to a civil union, your partner is dying in a hospital room, you would not be granted the same rights as a husband/wife. The rights goes back to the partner's parents.

This is where I disagree with. Gender/sexuality should not play a role in marriage and the government has no right to interfere in this as well.
Exactly. This is why I want to see gay marriage rather than civil unions. Civil unions are a good start, but I really think we should push for gay marriage recognition in every state.
__________________
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
Oceanbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
lsfoster
Registered User
 
lsfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 432
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chose other. I support gay marriage right now, but I think the best option would be to remove the word "marriage" from any government-related institutions or laws. It just confuses people and makes them believe that there is any relationship between a government-issued "marriage" certificate, and a religious (or not) "marriage" ceremony. There isn't. The "marriage" that we're fighting for right now is nothing more than a piece of paper. Call it what it is, a "civil" "union" of two people. The problem right now is that civil unions were just invented a few years ago, and have no real basis in anything. They're only recognized at the state level, and they have no legal precedents attached to them yet, making them hard to deal with. If the government isn't willing to eliminate the word "marriage" from it's vocabulary, then I say marriages for all!
__________________
"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
lsfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
PowerON
Registered User
 
PowerON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 37.5, 126.9
Posts: 10,862
Blog Entries: 5
Likes: 2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
Obama support civil union.
__________________
• [Illustrator.Blog-alloon.com] •
Don't shoot me! I'm only blogger!
PowerON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Byrdie714
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,927
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsfoster View Post
I chose other. I support gay marriage right now, but I think the best option would be to remove the word "marriage" from any government-related institutions or laws. It just confuses people and makes them believe that there is any relationship between a government-issued "marriage" certificate, and a religious (or not) "marriage" ceremony. There isn't. The "marriage" that we're fighting for right now is nothing more than a piece of paper. Call it what it is, a "civil" "union" of two people. The problem right now is that civil unions were just invented a few years ago, and have no real basis in anything. They're only recognized at the state level, and they have no legal precedents attached to them yet, making them hard to deal with. If the government isn't willing to eliminate the word "marriage" from it's vocabulary, then I say marriages for all!
A woman after my own heart!

Jillio and I been arguing the same thing for a long time and there are still people that "don't get it!"
Byrdie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
lsfoster
Registered User
 
lsfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 432
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie714 View Post
A woman after my own heart!

Jillio and I been arguing the same thing for a long time and there are still people that "don't get it!"
Well I'm glad to hear it!

(The most annoying thing I ever saw was a letter to the editor in my hometown where someone was arguing against gay marriage and their argument was that "it's not like a driver's license". I just thought, "really? it's the exact same thing!!!"

__________________
"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
lsfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
Hwy99
Registered User
 
Hwy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: A town in middle of the rolling hills
Posts: 6,141
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I voted both because I believe it's their choice to call it an "union" or an "marriage".
Hwy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Byrdie714
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,927
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsfoster View Post
Well I'm glad to hear it!

(The most annoying thing I ever saw was a letter to the editor in my hometown where someone was arguing against gay marriage and their argument was that "it's not like a driver's license". I just thought, "really? it's the exact same thing!!!"
Byrdie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #13
Wokamuka
Registered User
 
Wokamuka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,881
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Wokamuka Send a message via Yahoo to Wokamuka
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Personally, I don't see that the GLTB community will have achieved equal social status until marraige is redifined to inlcude all unions that are entered into, no matter of gender. But I would applaud country wide granting of rights to civil union as the first step in that process.
I agree. Having one thing for one group while having another thing for another group denotes inequality.

One marriage for all; not for a selected group.
__________________
Wokamuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
sara1981
Registered User
 
sara1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Little Rock,Ar
Posts: 7,395
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to sara1981
i vote civil union

but i dont trust same sex marriages because my 2 classmates also gay and my friend's ex-husband also gay i should BAN of same sex marriages! but i would agree with my boyfriend because same sex marriages is wrong! they can touch each other include hiv&aids and diease.
__________________


Katie the beagle puppy she so adorables!!
sara1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
IndieVisible
Registered User
 
IndieVisible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 323
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to see civil unions carry the same rights as marriage but would like to see marriage reserved for a man and a woman. We need a distinction in terminology I feel. But I am not hardcore against it.
IndieVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #16
sara1981
Registered User
 
sara1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Little Rock,Ar
Posts: 7,395
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to sara1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieVisible View Post
I would like to see civil unions carry the same rights as marriage but would like to see marriage reserved for a man and a woman. We need a distinction in terminology I feel. But I am not hardcore against it.
i agree!

can marriages each man and woman not same sex marriages NOPE! that what in my mind
__________________


Katie the beagle puppy she so adorables!!
sara1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
Pinky
Registered User
 
Pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,898
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My answer No! I prefer one man and one woman marriage over Gay marriage. No offend to whoever are gay marriage. That's my feel want to be marry with man not woman.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #18
sara1981
Registered User
 
sara1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Little Rock,Ar
Posts: 7,395
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to sara1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~♥~Pinky~♥~ View Post
My answer No! I prefer one man and one woman marriage over Gay marriage. No offend to whoever are gay marriage. That's my feel want to be marry with man not woman.
i agree!
__________________


Katie the beagle puppy she so adorables!!
sara1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
Pinky
Registered User
 
Pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,898
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981 View Post
i agree!
Let go other thread.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #20
Pinky
Registered User
 
Pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,898
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you prefer Marriage or same-sex Marriage?

I prefer one man and one woman marriage.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #21
web730
Registered User
 
web730's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,271
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~♥~Pinky~♥~ View Post
I prefer one man and one woman marriage.
I second that!

I'm already married to a wife.
__________________
web730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #22
BradB08
Registered User
 
BradB08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,701
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I propose that we suggest a new federal proposition:

Proposition 9- A ban on straight marriage.
BradB08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #23
Pinky
Registered User
 
Pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,898
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In your dream.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #24
sara1981
Registered User
 
sara1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Little Rock,Ar
Posts: 7,395
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to sara1981
my vote one man and one woman than sicko same sex marriages!

my father would not allowed!!

my 2 classmates,my friend's ex-husband also gay but i can banned from same sex marriages but i dont allowed same sex marriages peroid!
__________________


Katie the beagle puppy she so adorables!!

Last edited by sara1981; 11-08-2008 at 01:13 AM.
sara1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #25
Wokamuka
Registered User
 
Wokamuka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,881
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Wokamuka Send a message via Yahoo to Wokamuka
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradB08 View Post
I propose that we suggest a new federal proposition:

Proposition 9- A ban on straight marriage.
Propose a Federal amendment that all thiings considered will be between two consenting adults.

Not for a selected group.
__________________
Wokamuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #26
David
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 853
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to David Send a message via MSN to David Send a message via Yahoo to David
I SUPPORT same-sex marriages. I also support marriage. If my girlfriend/lady/fiancé and I decide to get married, then that's our business. If a same sex couple gets married, then that's their business, in my opinion. No one else should interfere with anyone else’s happiness.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 10:13 PM   #27
BradB08
Registered User
 
BradB08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,701
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~♥~Pinky~♥~ View Post
In your dream.
Then why can't you support gay marriage?

Oh right, that's because straight people SOMEHOW deserve more privileges.
BradB08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #28
Byrdie714
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,927
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is the same poll over in the GLBT thread. Why continue to pverload the boards with the same topic?

http://www.alldeaf.com/glbt-lounge/5...ml#post1147306
Byrdie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #29
Pinky
Registered User
 
Pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,898
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I SUPPORT same-sex marriages. I also support marriage. If my girlfriend/lady/fiancé and I decide to get married, then that's our business. If a same sex couple gets married, then that's their business, in my opinion. No one else should interfere with anyone else’s happiness.
I didn't say "Support gay marriage" on my thread. Just your own choice be one man or one woman marriage or gay marriage. I am not ask who is support. "You choice for yourself"
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #30
Pinky
Registered User
 
Pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,898
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie714 View Post
There is the same poll over in the GLBT thread. Why continue to pverload the boards with the same topic?

http://www.alldeaf.com/glbt-lounge/5...ml#post1147306
Don't worry about it.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.