AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Kalista
Premium Member
 
Kalista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 8,156
Removal Cochlear Implants

YouTube - The Removal of CI

He finally have a good sleep during overnight.
__________________
Kalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 10-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,489
Blog Entries: 3
I am happy for him and wish him a speedy recovery!
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
I have several friends over for my birthday (they are watching TV right now -- we're waiting for a pizza to be delivered) and one of them told me a little about this video. She said my CI center/hospital was pictured, but couldn't tell me any more than that since there was signing involved. Shel, would you mind briefly telling me what was said in the video? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,489
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post
I have several friends over for my birthday (they are watching TV right now -- we're waiting for a pizza to be delivered) and one of them told me a little about this video. She said my CI center/hospital was pictured, but couldn't tell me any more than that since there was signing involved. Shel, would you mind briefly telling me what was said in the video? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Just basically said that this guy who has been suffering from headaches and balance problems from the internal parts is relieved to have it removed.

Also, said that after the surgery, he was finally able to get a full night of good sleep because he is not suffering from any tingling in his head.

Then he said for anyone who wants their internal part removed, they can contact the patient's doctor or that particular hospital.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Just basically said that this guy who has been suffering from headaches and balance problems from the internal parts is relieved to have it removed.

Also, said that after the surgery, he was finally able to get a full night of good sleep because he is not suffering from any tingling in his head.

Then he said for anyone who wants their internal part removed, they can contact the patient's doctor or that particular hospital.
Thanks, Shel. I hate to keep asking you and other ADers to describe videos and pictures for me, but I want you to know how much I appreciate it! Thanks again!

And by the way, I'm happy for this person. I have migraines myself, so I have some idea of the pain he was experiencing.
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,489
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post
Thanks, Shel. I hate to keep asking you and other ADers to describe videos and pictures for me, but I want you to know how much I appreciate it! Thanks again!

And by the way, I'm happy for this person. I have migraines myself, so I have some idea of the pain he was experiencing.
It is not a problem at all.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
LadySekhmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas!
Posts: 880
Here's the full translation. I think I got the majority of it. There are some parts that I couldn't really quite understand, but I have the concept just about right...I hope!

Text says: "Remember this?" Then showed a short flashback video of Matt complaining why he wants the CI to be removed.

Then Mat, the guy who had the surgery removal - who ironically, wears a T-shirt that says "Stop Cochlear Implants!", says - "I had a huge scar, (showing scar from temple to neck....old days type of CI scar), and they had to open the entire thing."

"I told mom I don't want it anymore!"
Jack eyes says:

"Thank you all for watching "Jack Eyes". Last week got up at 3 am drove to meet a deaf guy name Darren Rob (sp?) at the gas station. Very good and hard working on camera. I went to hospital at 4:30 am to adult audiologist and meet with interpreter. Watch the story."

Then they showed a black and white video of the host of Jack's Eyes coming out of a car with a license plate that says "ASL", tossing a cigarette.

"I went to see surgeon." Jack eyes talked to Mat and says "Excited? I am rooting for you. I hope you feel good about getting it removed."

Mat says: "Thank you for your support. Hi my name is Matt, I am in the hospital, many reason why I want it removed. Finally, it's about time. I keep postponing it. I want to thank you all for your support, emails, vlops, etc. Thanks. Enough headaches! I hate the CI bothering me. 1 more hour until surgery!"

Then the doc wrote "Yes" on the side of removing the implant"
Mat gives a peace sign and rolled into surgery.
Jack is sleeping during surgery, and Mat's wife is sleeping...they both are in the waiting room.

Mat's wife goes up to interpreter and interpreter is signing to her while listening on the phone..."The surgery went fine. The implant has been removed." Then they showed Matt in the "jock strap" type of bandage in Recovery room, then everything becomes in color.

Jack says, "Yay! Finally color! It's been "black and white" for so many years! Finally, you see color!" (This is just film effect...I think it's a bit corny).

Surgeon says (through interp), "Med will go away and I will give you stronger ones."
Mat says, "Hello, finally awake. I feel a little pain. I feel great. Now I want to tell you a story. Those who have CI (he signed the CI with a little bit of hatred...I find that a little bit insulting, but that's just my opinion) with no benefit at all, come to this hospital, (signed the name of the hospital..I do not know this sign...it's signed as backward "russia"). Contact my doctor at 'wackym@mcw.edu, or tammy@mcw.edu'. "

Jack is showed walking outside of the hospital and driving away.
Jack says, "Now he went home on Sunday. Matt called me and said he had many visitors to his house. He was so happy talking about how he felt. In the past, he would have difficulty sleeping with the CI bothering him. He finally had a good night sleep. Feel less headaches. Feel his body is building stronger and a lot of energy. Before he was weak. I will keep you updated in one month. Thank you for watching!"

Text says "Jack's Eyes Teams wish Mathew a well recovery!"


Let me know if there's any other videos you want me to translate!
__________________
Missing my beloved cat, Blackjack, who died from battling with FIP. April 2008 - Feb. 5th, 2009.

LEFT: Implanted: 1/10/08
Activated: 2/1/08 Freedom

RIGHT: Implanted: 5/15/08
Activated: 6/13/08 Freedom

http://cyborgqueen.blogspot.com
LadySekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Lady,

Thanks so much for translating the video!

For some reason, the whole tone of the video seems anti-CI to me.

For example, why is Mat showing his scar? Nothing like trying to scare people into not having CI surgery.

Like you, I'm a bit offended that Mat signed the hospital name as backwards "Russia." (WTF? The correct hospital name is Froedert)

It also offends me that he would use an aggresive sign for CI.

Oh well. At least he's happy now.
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
dreama
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post
Lady,

Thanks so much for translating the video!
Thankyou from me too as I also benifit from this transcripiton as I cannot see vidio's.

I like to keep an open mind on CI but I think it is very useful to see both sides of the CI debate. I am deaf. I have bad migranes. I find having bad migranes a good deal worse then being deaf, or blind for that matter. This is just my point of view.

So I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who have migranes.
__________________
I speak for those who cannot speak for themselves.
http://www.fightfoca.com/
dreama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
LadySekhmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas!
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post
Lady,

Thanks so much for translating the video!

For some reason, the whole tone of the video seems anti-CI to me.

For example, why is Mat showing his scar? Nothing like trying to scare people into not having CI surgery.

Like you, I'm a bit offended that Mat signed the hospital name as backwards "Russia." (WTF? The correct hospital name is Froedert)

It also offends me that he would use an aggresive sign for CI.

Oh well. At least he's happy now.
Yes - it is a bit of anti-CI. That's why I was just rolling my eyes when Mat signed "CI" in a harsh way. I cannot really explain it...it's really tactile type of sign, so it's hard to translate it that way.

Actually, I did not know the name of the hospital! It was just signed that way, so it's not insulting, I just did not know the sign of Froedert hospital (mat and Jack did not really use a lot of oral lip movements, so that was a little bit difficult, so I had no clue what the sign for the hosptial's name).

I agree that there will be some rare cases that it would be better to have the implant removed than to keep it. I just don't think CI should be 100% the blame for causing all of these issues. Mat was saying that the CI was giving him electrical simulations while he was sleeping and it was bothering him for a very long time, giving him sleepless nights. I highly suspect that it not the CI that's doing that...there's NO electrical simulation, moving parts, or anything whatsoever with the implant itself. So...
I don't know the whole story...all I can do is roll my eyes and happy he made the decision to have it removed. However, it should not be used as a scapegoat of why CI is bad. There is one more video that Jack's Eyes did that took CI issues way out of context.

There will always be people against CI's, and really nothing much we can do about it except to educate them that there are some things that are so false. In another video that Jack Eyes did, one guy said, "one girl had three CI removals. The first time it failed. Second time, battery was no good (WTF?! There's no battery in CI!), third time - she was suffering from too many headaches and migraines.


So, having said this, and being a migraine sufferer for many years...the CI actually helped reducing the migraines. I get severe migraines because of tinnitus, not because of CI. Since my tinnitus has gone down, my migraines has gone down. It's all relative.

For the people who gets headaches and migraines post-op - I wonder if they immediately blame the CI for that fact...everyone gets headaches once in a while. Migraines are caused by some brain stem issues...read it up on Wikipedia.

All CI does is the arrays are placed into the cochlea, your skull is shaved down a little bit to make little pocket for the CI to be placed in. That's all there is to it. There's nothing that I feel that CI can cause migraines or headaches.

I am just ranting because I hate it when people immediately blame CI for their migraine and headaches. It's a body function/hormonal issues (hence why it affect women more than men), it has nothing to do with having a device in your head.

Sorry if I sound like I'm not making sense...I have a headache now.
__________________
Missing my beloved cat, Blackjack, who died from battling with FIP. April 2008 - Feb. 5th, 2009.

LEFT: Implanted: 1/10/08
Activated: 2/1/08 Freedom

RIGHT: Implanted: 5/15/08
Activated: 6/13/08 Freedom

http://cyborgqueen.blogspot.com
LadySekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
LadySekhmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas!
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreama View Post
Thankyou from me too as I also benifit from this transcripiton as I cannot see vidio's.

I like to keep an open mind on CI but I think it is very useful to see both sides of the CI debate. I am deaf. I have bad migranes. I find having bad migranes a good deal worse then being deaf, or blind for that matter. This is just my point of view.

So I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who have migranes.

Oh, I agree! However, you need to know the facts, not the myths...such as, "CI cause health problems." or something of the sort...

There are failures. There are people who had botched surgeries. There are people that CI just doesn't work as well as another person with CI. Etc...so while it is good to know both sides...however, I would not look at the extreme ends. Such as pro-CI may say, "CI will make your life perfect! CI makes you hearing! CI will give children a much better life than if they had HA's or was 'deaf'" and anti-CIers would say something, "CI destroys Deaf culture! CI is not good! CI makes deaf people hearing!" etc...those extreme ends, I would just ignore.
__________________
Missing my beloved cat, Blackjack, who died from battling with FIP. April 2008 - Feb. 5th, 2009.

LEFT: Implanted: 1/10/08
Activated: 2/1/08 Freedom

RIGHT: Implanted: 5/15/08
Activated: 6/13/08 Freedom

http://cyborgqueen.blogspot.com
LadySekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
vallee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,216
Send a message via AIM to vallee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreama View Post
Thankyou from me too as I also benifit from this transcripiton as I cannot see vidio's.

I like to keep an open mind on CI but I think it is very useful to see both sides of the CI debate. I am deaf. I have bad migranes. I find having bad migranes a good deal worse then being deaf, or blind for that matter. This is just my point of view.

So I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who have migranes.
My migraines came from wearing hearing aids. Since I had ci surgery my migraines have disappeared. I even stopped all my medicine a few weeks after surgery. I had the opposite results.

I am just happy that the person in the video is happy. No one should live in pain.
__________________
Right and Left Implanted July 19, 2007
Activated August 9, 2007
Both Advanced Bionics Harmony
vallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
deafdyke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,080
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
but I think it is very useful to see both sides of the CI debate.
Oh agreed!!! And I mean I think it's possible that in some people the internal parts of the CI could cause autoimmune reactions.
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySekhmet View Post
Yes - it is a bit of anti-CI. That's why I was just rolling my eyes when Mat signed "CI" in a harsh way. I cannot really explain it...it's really tactile type of sign, so it's hard to translate it that way.

Actually, I did not know the name of the hospital! It was just signed that way, so it's not insulting, I just did not know the sign of Froedert hospital (mat and Jack did not really use a lot of oral lip movements, so that was a little bit difficult, so I had no clue what the sign for the hosptial's name).

I agree that there will be some rare cases that it would be better to have the implant removed than to keep it. I just don't think CI should be 100% the blame for causing all of these issues. Mat was saying that the CI was giving him electrical simulations while he was sleeping and it was bothering him for a very long time, giving him sleepless nights. I highly suspect that it not the CI that's doing that...there's NO electrical simulation, moving parts, or anything whatsoever with the implant itself. So...
I don't know the whole story...all I can do is roll my eyes and happy he made the decision to have it removed. However, it should not be used as a scapegoat of why CI is bad. There is one more video that Jack's Eyes did that took CI issues way out of context.

There will always be people against CI's, and really nothing much we can do about it except to educate them that there are some things that are so false. In another video that Jack Eyes did, one guy said, "one girl had three CI removals. The first time it failed. Second time, battery was no good (WTF?! There's no battery in CI!), third time - she was suffering from too many headaches and migraines.


So, having said this, and being a migraine sufferer for many years...the CI actually helped reducing the migraines. I get severe migraines because of tinnitus, not because of CI. Since my tinnitus has gone down, my migraines has gone down. It's all relative.

For the people who gets headaches and migraines post-op - I wonder if they immediately blame the CI for that fact...everyone gets headaches once in a while. Migraines are caused by some brain stem issues...read it up on Wikipedia.

All CI does is the arrays are placed into the cochlea, your skull is shaved down a little bit to make little pocket for the CI to be placed in. That's all there is to it. There's nothing that I feel that CI can cause migraines or headaches.

I am just ranting because I hate it when people immediately blame CI for their migraine and headaches. It's a body function/hormonal issues (hence why it affect women more than men), it has nothing to do with having a device in your head.

Sorry if I sound like I'm not making sense...I have a headache now.
Lady,

I don't know why Mat didn't fingerspell the name of the hospital instead of using the backwards sign for "Russia." To me, that was entirely uneccessary.
That happens to be my CI center and I've never had someone sign the name of the hospital in that manner.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about CIs and migraines. I'm also a migraine sufferer and if anything, my migraines have lessened ever since getting my implants. I can't explain why, but that's what happened.

I also don't understand how Mat could have experienced electrical stimulations. I wonder if what he really meant was auditory hallucinations or tinnitus. After both of my surgeries, I experienced tinnitus and auditory hallucinations. At times, my auditory hallucinations sounded like an electrical current running through my head.

I'll be interested in Mat's update in a month. Hopefully he will continue to enjoy being headache-free. As a migraine sufferer, I really feel for him and am glad he finally had his implant removed in order to get some relief.
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdyke View Post
Oh agreed!!! And I mean I think it's possible that in some people the internal parts of the CI could cause autoimmune reactions.
Now you've sparked my curiosity. I'll have to ask my CI audi about this.
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #16
ClearSky
Registered User
 
ClearSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
I just don't think CI should be 100% the blame for causing all of these issues. Mat was saying that the CI was giving him electrical simulations while he was sleeping and it was bothering him for a very long time, giving him sleepless nights. I highly suspect that it not the CI that's doing that...there's NO electrical simulation, moving parts, or anything whatsoever with the implant itself.
Yes, I think that some of the things he state is mostly psychological. Once the processor is off, there's no stimulation. I felt it was a bit of an exaggeration, so like you said, we don't know the whole story...but still some things sound extreme negative because we know he's anti-CI. That's expected from an anti-CIer.

It's good that he got what he wanted, and that he's happy.

I thought it was odd that his parents were not there and only his wife. I hope they still have a good relationship despite the CI.
ClearSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #17
Oceanbreeze
Registered User
 
Oceanbreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: S. FL
Posts: 9,991
Send a message via AIM to Oceanbreeze Send a message via MSN to Oceanbreeze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post
Lady,

I don't know why Mat didn't fingerspell the name of the hospital instead of using the backwards sign for "Russia." To me, that was entirely uneccessary.
That happens to be my CI center and I've never had someone sign the name of the hospital in that manner.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about CIs and migraines. I'm also a migraine sufferer and if anything, my migraines have lessened ever since getting my implants. I can't explain why, but that's what happened.

I also don't understand how Mat could have experienced electrical stimulations. I wonder if what he really meant was auditory hallucinations or tinnitus. After both of my surgeries, I experienced tinnitus and auditory hallucinations. At times, my auditory hallucinations sounded like an electrical current running through my head.

I'll be interested in Mat's update in a month. Hopefully he will continue to enjoy being headache-free. As a migraine sufferer, I really feel for him and am glad he finally had his implant removed in order to get some relief.

Here's a thought, too... Could overstimulation of a nerve cause some of that? I know that with some CI users, they have nerve issues that necessitate the need for a new map. In that case, I would think that shutting down a couple of the electrodes would eliminate that feeling, no?
Oceanbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #18
ClearSky
Registered User
 
ClearSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,154
I like this one:

YouTube - I Had The Surgery!
ClearSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #19
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbreeze View Post
Here's a thought, too... Could overstimulation of a nerve cause some of that? I know that with some CI users, they have nerve issues that necessitate the need for a new map. In that case, I would think that shutting down a couple of the electrodes would eliminate that feeling, no?
OB,

Yes, the problem caused by overstimulation can be solved by turning off one or more of the electrodes. You can also avoid this problem by creating a map that has less power/stimulation.

However, in my case, it was confirmed by a doctor that the feeling I had (of an electrical current running through my head) was indeed caused by auditory hallucinations.
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #20
Tousi
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 16,975
The guy must have had a bad or neglectful audie.

By the way, there is no backward sign for Russia anywhere in the clip; that was the sign for the great city of Milwaukee, a sign that might be as old as the city itself,
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 12:11 AM   #21
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
The guy must have had a bad or neglectful audie.

By the way, there is no backward sign for Russia anywhere in the clip; that was the sign for the great city of Milwaukee, a sign that might be as old as the city itself,
Tousi,

Why do you think Mat had a bad or neglecful audi? There's also a possibility that he didn't follow up with his CI appointments to get proper mappings. I can tell you from personal experience that the audis at that CI center are excellent and will do everything possible to make sure a CI user's experiences are as positive as can be.

Out of curiosity, was the sign for Milwaukee made with the letter "M" touching the chin?
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 12:20 AM   #22
Tousi
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 16,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post
Tousi,

Why do you think Mat had a bad or neglectful audi? There's also a possibility that Mat didn't follow up with his CI appointments to get proper mappings.
I went thru that clip very fast just to find the sign and saw something about possibly alleviating his discomfort by the removal of an electrode or something so I guess it is more likely that he wasn't good at follow-up for whatever reason (if he was coerced into the CI, then that would be a reason), yadda, yadda; however, it IS difficult to find a really good audie as I have read here, elsewhere, and IRL dozens of times......

The sign for Milwaukee is used with just the index finger extended straight out on the chin back and forth a couple of times. I suspect that the usage of the letter "M" would be a SEE sign. I'd even bet on it.
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 12:30 AM   #23
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
I went thru that clip very fast just to find the sign and saw something about possibly alleviating his discomfort by the removal of an electrode or something so I guess it is more likely that he wasn't good at follow-up for whatever reason (if he was coerced into the CI, then that would be a reason), yadda, yadda; however, it IS difficult to find a really good audie as I have read here, elsewhere, and IRL dozens of times......

The sign for Milwaukee is used with just the index finger extended straight out on the chin back and forth a couple of times. I suspect that the usage of the letter "M" would be a SEE sign. I'd even bet on it.
I guess I've been lucky in that both of my CI audis (my first CI audi eventually left the field) have been excellent. I've worked with several of the audis at that CI center and they have always done everything they could to ensure that I had nothing but positive experiences with my CI. I don't know...perhaps Mat was coerced into getting a CI or just didn't get along with his audi...

When you talk about the index finger being extended straight out, is it facing to the side or away from you? The sign I learned was the letter "M" moving from left to right on the chin several times. From what I've been told, this particular sign represents someone wiping beer from their chin.
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #24
Tousi
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 16,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post
I guess I've been lucky in that both of my CI audis (my first CI audi eventually left the field) have been excellent. I've worked with several of the audis at that CI center and they have always done everything they could to ensure that I had nothing but positive experiences with my CI. I don't know...perhaps Mat was coerced into getting a CI or just didn't get along with his audi...

When you talk about the index finger being extended straight out, is it facing to the side or away from you? The sign I learned was the letter "M" moving from left to right on the chin several times. From what I've been told, this particular sign represents someone wiping beer from their chin.
About the index finger, you make a hand sign for the number one and go quickly and deftly across the chin a couple of times...the motion is just as if you're brushing your teeth. As for that letter "M", from what you have been told, I just don't know; I still think it is a SEE sign. What kind of classes are you taking? Not that it necessarily makes a difference, always, but is your teacher hearing or deaf?
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 12:59 AM   #25
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
About the index finger, you make a hand sign for the number one and go quickly and deftly across the chin a couple of times...the motion is just as if you're brushing your teeth. As for that letter "M", from what you have been told, I just don't know; I still think it is a SEE sign. What kind of classes are you taking? Not that it necessarily makes a difference, always, but is your teacher hearing or deaf?
I started learning sign at my local deafblind center in 1995 and that's when I learned the sign for Milwaukee. My sign language instructor was hearing.
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 12:59 AM   #26
LadySekhmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas!
Posts: 880
Okay to HearAgain and Tousi - It is on 2:43 of the clip. To me, it is like backward Russia....i looked at it more carefully, and in a way, it is like signing "lie" or "liar" with just the index finger, instead all four fingers on the chin going back and forth.

I had NO idea what that meant and it was not spelled out, so that's why my translation for that was kind of out of the norm. My apologies!
__________________
Missing my beloved cat, Blackjack, who died from battling with FIP. April 2008 - Feb. 5th, 2009.

LEFT: Implanted: 1/10/08
Activated: 2/1/08 Freedom

RIGHT: Implanted: 5/15/08
Activated: 6/13/08 Freedom

http://cyborgqueen.blogspot.com
LadySekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:03 AM   #27
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySekhmet View Post
Okay to HearAgain and Tousi - It is on 2:43 of the clip. To me, it is like backward Russia....i looked at it more carefully, and in a way, it is like signing "lie" or "liar" with just the index finger, instead all four fingers on the chin going back and forth.

I had NO idea what that meant and it was not spelled out, so that's why my translation for that was kind of out of the norm. My apologies!
Lady,

No problem!
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:05 AM   #28
LadySekhmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas!
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbreeze View Post
Here's a thought, too... Could overstimulation of a nerve cause some of that? I know that with some CI users, they have nerve issues that necessitate the need for a new map. In that case, I would think that shutting down a couple of the electrodes would eliminate that feeling, no?
I know that when I went for another Audi (due to moving to Las Vegas), she did the NRT on both of my CI's. One of the electrodes in my left ear was overstimulating my nerve...which is why certain sounds, sounded horrible! Once she turned that off, it was just a huge relief...seriously! I thought it was just me, but it just turned out that I just have a very sensitive nerve at one electrode. It's not a big deal to have a couple electrodes off....it doesn't make the CI function any less.
__________________
Missing my beloved cat, Blackjack, who died from battling with FIP. April 2008 - Feb. 5th, 2009.

LEFT: Implanted: 1/10/08
Activated: 2/1/08 Freedom

RIGHT: Implanted: 5/15/08
Activated: 6/13/08 Freedom

http://cyborgqueen.blogspot.com
LadySekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:07 AM   #29
Tousi
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 16,975
Be right back.....
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:16 AM   #30
Tousi
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 16,975
The sign at 2:43 of the clip is the sign for Milwaukee and Jack signed it at 58 seconds into it, too. I don't understand this backwardness of the sign for Russia at all...not even close. HA, what is the name of this sign class you are taking with your hearing teacher? Is this what he/she does for a living?

I am still pretty sure the M is a SEE sign as I don't see any placement of the M to indicate beer, etc. These people in the clip are ASL Wisconsonites.
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.