AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Deaf Education
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
View Poll Results: Should Deaf schools be shut down?
Yes 7 11.29%
No 48 77.42%
Not sure 5 8.06%
I dont care 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,717
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 52
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
Should Deaf Schools be Shut Down?

I have noticed in some posts that there are some people who believe that all Deaf schools will shut down in the future. I would like to know your opinion if they should be shut down and why. If u dont want to state why, that's fine.


My opinion is no because there are so many children who do not get the education or their needs met in the public schools and if all Deaf schools were to be shut down, where would they go? Also, many deaf people would lose their jobs. By shutting down Deaf schools, many deaf people who are working, paying their taxes, not collecting SSI, and contributing to the economy will be without a job and you know how the job market is not that friendly to many deaf people by underpaying them or not promoting them.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 10-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
David
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 853
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to David Send a message via MSN to David Send a message via Yahoo to David
I don't think deaf schools should be shut down. If I had gone to a deaf school growing up, I wouldn't be in this undesirable situation I am in now.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 41,234
Blog Entries: 1
Likes: 148
Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Yes I think they should. I am happy that I had the chance to spend my childhood in my home with my family.

I think there should be deaf programs with qualified teachers of the deaf in every district as a requirement by law, so all deaf students could be day students but still get a good education accessable to them.
__________________
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
jillio
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I don't think that the Deaf Schools should be shut down. I think it is unrealistic to think that the mainstream will ever be able to fully meet the needs of some deaf/Deaf students.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 41,234
Blog Entries: 1
Likes: 148
Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
No, I don't think that the Deaf Schools should be shut down. I think it is unrealistic to think that the mainstream will ever be able to fully meet the needs of some deaf/Deaf students.
Yes but a deaf program in the home district would not be a mainstreamed program.
__________________
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
sequoias
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,254
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I voted no and agreed the same as what Shel90 said.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Daredevel7
Adrenaline Junky
 
Daredevel7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 4,341
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Yes I think they should. I am happy that I had the chance to spend my childhood in my home with my family.

I think there should be deaf programs with qualified teachers of the deaf in every district as a requirement by law, so all deaf students could be day students but still get a good education accessable to them.
I voted not sure, because I don't want to say YES but I think we should strive for what Bottesini said. However, I do not think we should shut down deaf schools without a complete plan for programs for the deaf children in mainstream schools.
Daredevel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
jillio
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Yes but a deaf program in the home district would not be a mainstreamed program.
Self contained programs are considered to be mainstream programs. They are just not fully integrated programs.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Tousi
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17,231
Likes: 73
Liked 84 Times in 57 Posts
I agree with Shel and I might add that here in So CA, for example, of the 500 students we have enrolled, there are 350 day students because parents have moved to our area (the rule is to live in a 25 mile or less radius from the school) so the students have the best of both worlds.

What typically happens at mainstream schools, at least here in CA, is that the local districts (called LEAs) are required by law to pay 10% to the State for the education of their district students who go to our school. Because these LEAs generally know nothing about deaf education, they are so reluctant to pay this 10% that they slap together a "program" for these students and oftentimes this is nothing more than putting the students in a regular classroom with an interpreter. And before you say, "Aha, but you have 450 students", let me point out 2 things: We have sophisticated and caring enough parents who have moved within the 25 mile radius of our school for their children to be day students and the remaining 100 or so day/residential students are from LEAs that "can't educate" them".

At the same time, our curriculum has vastly improved and so have the teachers we have hired the last several years. Even better is a new law that became effective over the summer which states: During intake at the LEAs, the LEAs MUST mention to parents about our school as a choice for their childrens' education. This new law should help our program in getting the more educable student, the "cream of the crop" so to speak and in a few years' time, we should have an astounding 7-800 students.

And just to indicate how much of a "sacred cow" deaf education in CA is, our 55 year old school is currently about 1/3 into rebuilding new buildings (looks like a war zone now) to the tune of approximately 200 million dollars.

Hehe, I only wrote this to entice Shel and some others here to apply at our school. J/K but hey, its a thought!
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
jillio
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
I agree with Shel and I might add that here in So CA, for example, of the 500 students we have enrolled, there are 350 day students because parents have moved to our area (the rule is to live in a 25 mile or less radius from the school) so the students have the best of both worlds.

What typically happens at mainstream schools, at least here in CA, is that the local districts (called LEAs) are required by law to pay 10% to the State for the education of their district students who go to our school. Because these LEAs generally know nothing about deaf education, they are so reluctant to pay this 10% that they slap together a "program" for these students and oftentimes this is nothing more than putting the students in a regular classroom with an interpreter. And before you say, "Aha, but you have 450 students", let me point out 2 things: We have sophisticated and caring enough parents who have moved within the 25 mile radius of our school for their children to be day students and the remaining 100 or so day/residential students are from LEAs that "can't educate" them".

At the same time, our curriculum has vastly improved and so have the teachers we have hired the last several years. Even better is a new law that became effective over the summer which states: During intake at the LEAs, the LEAs MUST mention to parents about our school as a choice for their childrens' education. This new law should help our program in getting the more educable student, the "cream of the crop" so to speak and in a few years' time, we should have an astounding 7-800 students.

And just to indicate how much of a "sacred cow" deaf education in CA is, our 55 year old school is currently about 1/3 into rebuilding new buildings (looks like a war zone now) to the tune of approximately 200 million dollars.

Hehe, I only wrote this to entice Shel and some others here to apply at our school. J/K but hey, its a thought!
Looking for a counselor?
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
Tousi
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17,231
Likes: 73
Liked 84 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Looking for a counselor?
Them, too! Come west, young ladies to the wide open, dizzying splendor of our Western vistas!
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
Brian
Registered User
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,750
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a student at a residence school for the deaf though I never had to live at the school. The school wanted my parents to put me in the dorms so they could see more money coming in from the State, but they didn't want me to live at the school. I lived about 45 miles from the school, the daily commute was boring but it was worth it.

I used to believe all deaf schools should be closed, but I thought if every State will shut the dorms down and open regional day deaf schools, the children will be home with their families daily like hearing children do.

I have more to say, but I want to think more carefully before I do.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,717
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 52
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I was a student at a residence school for the deaf though I never had to live at the school. The school wanted my parents to put me in the dorms so they could see more money coming in from the State, but they didn't want me to live at the school. I lived about 45 miles from the school, the daily commute was boring but it was worth it.

I used to believe all deaf schools should be closed, but I thought if every State will shut the dorms down and open regional day deaf schools, the children will be home with their families daily like hearing children do.

I have more to say, but I want to think more carefully before I do.
In many cases, the dorms are what makes it possible for children to receive full access to language/communication since many of their parents do not learn sign language and cant communicate with their children at all. Sure, in some cases, some children are better off at home with their families but in other cases some children are better off in the dorms. I know of a few students who are lucky to be in the dorms cuz where their family live are in the neighborhoods where violence is rampant (gangs, drugs, and etc).

It just depends on each individual. I do not propose drom life for all children which is why I encourage the families to be involved with their children's language needs, education and etch before I recommend dorm.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
David
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 853
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to David Send a message via MSN to David Send a message via Yahoo to David
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
In many cases, the dorms are what makes it possible for children to receive full access to language/communication since many of their parents do not learn sign language and cant communicate with their children at all. Sure, in some cases, some children are better off at home with their families but in other cases some children are better off in the dorms. I know of a few students who are lucky to be in the dorms cuz where their family live are in the neighborhoods where violence is rampant (gangs, drugs, and etc).

It just depends on each individual. I do not propose drom life for all children which is why I encourage the families to be involved with their children's language needs, education and etch before I recommend dorm.
The problem with student residental facilities is that it encourages experiments in same-sex relationships.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,717
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 52
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The problem with student residental facilities is that it encourages experiments in same-sex relationships.
That would be illegal and if anyone is doing that, they should be fired and banned from working with children.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #16
Foxrac
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 39,375
Likes: 8
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I was a student at a residence school for the deaf though I never had to live at the school. The school wanted my parents to put me in the dorms so they could see more money coming in from the State, but they didn't want me to live at the school. I lived about 45 miles from the school, the daily commute was boring but it was worth it.

I used to believe all deaf schools should be closed, but I thought if every State will shut the dorms down and open regional day deaf schools, the children will be home with their families daily like hearing children do.

I have more to say, but I want to think more carefully before I do.
Is it GA school for the Deaf? If you don't want share it then that's fine or you can PM me.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #17
Banjo
Expelled
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11,649
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I was a student at a residence school for the deaf though I never had to live at the school. The school wanted my parents to put me in the dorms so they could see more money coming in from the State, but they didn't want me to live at the school. I lived about 45 miles from the school, the daily commute was boring but it was worth it.

I used to believe all deaf schools should be closed, but I thought if every State will shut the dorms down and open regional day deaf schools, the children will be home with their families daily like hearing children do.

I have more to say, but I want to think more carefully before I do.
You're the only one. I commuted to a school for the deaf on a daily basis too as well. With the daily traffic, it usually took around 50 to 70 minutes one way. Without traffic, easily 40 minutes or less if you speed.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #18
David
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 853
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to David Send a message via MSN to David Send a message via Yahoo to David
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
That would be illegal and if anyone is doing that, they should be fired and banned from working with children.
I'm sorry, I misspoke. I meant it encourages same-sex experimentation among the students.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
Tousi
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17,231
Likes: 73
Liked 84 Times in 57 Posts
Banjo meant that Brian isn't the only one.
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #20
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,717
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 52
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I'm sorry, I misspoke. I meant it encourages same-sex experimentation among the students.
Hey, even at public schools, I had girls trying to experiment with me. I dont know if there is a correlation between dorm life and same sex-experiment. A study is needed to find proof of that. I really cant answer that cuz I never experimented dorm life so only those who has can answer that.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #21
David
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 853
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to David Send a message via MSN to David Send a message via Yahoo to David
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Hey, even at public schools, I had girls trying to experiment with me. I dont know if there is a correlation between dorm life and same sex-experiment. A study is needed to find proof of that. I really cant answer that cuz I never experimented dorm life so only those who has can answer that.
That is actually one of the topics I'm considering for my thesis, though it wouldn't be my first choice.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #22
Tousi
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17,231
Likes: 73
Liked 84 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Hey, even at public schools, I had girls trying to experiment with me. I dont know if there is a correlation between dorm life and same sex-experiment. A study is needed to find proof of that. I really cant answer that cuz I never experimented dorm life so only those who has can answer that.

I think that varies with the schools across the country. One way to try to reduce this problem is to elevate the qualifications of personnel who work/oversee students during off-school hours on a 24 hour facility.
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #23
faire_jour
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there will always be kids who need to go to Deaf schools, and there will always be ones who want to. As long as there are kids enrolled, don't shut them down.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #24
Daredevel7
Adrenaline Junky
 
Daredevel7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 4,341
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Hey, even at public schools, I had girls trying to experiment with me. I dont know if there is a correlation between dorm life and same sex-experiment. A study is needed to find proof of that. I really cant answer that cuz I never experimented dorm life so only those who has can answer that.
Same here. Same-sex experimentation may be more frequent in dorms but it definitely happens in public/private high schools! Don't even get me started in college.....

(btw..... what's wrong with same sex experimentation? )
Daredevel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #25
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,717
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 52
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevel7 View Post
Same here. Same-sex experimentation may be more frequent in dorms but it definitely happens in public/private high schools! Don't even get me started in college.....

(btw..... what's wrong with same sex experimentation? )
Right...I was thinking the same.

Maybe there are more opportunities in the dorms but that means that the staff arent watching the kids carefully and they shouldnt be working as dorm counselors in the first place. The job requires commitment from people to stay on top of things.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #26
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,717
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 52
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
I think that varies with the schools across the country. One way to try to reduce this problem is to elevate the qualifications of personnel who work/oversee students during off-school hours on a 24 hour facility.
Exactly! I am in 100% support of that.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #27
faire_jour
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Exactly! I am in 100% support of that.
Can I ask what the stats are on sexual (or any for that matter) abuse in dorms?
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #28
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,717
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 52
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Can I ask what the stats are on sexual (or any for that matter) abuse in dorms?
I am not sure..that's why I am so happy stricter policies have been passed so better training and workshops can be provided and again, if any staff who arent on top of things shouldnt be working in the dorms at all. I would love to kick any staff's butt and then throwing them in jail for allowing any abuse to happen while knowing about it. ugh!
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #29
deafdyke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,147
Likes: 41
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Yes I think they should. I am happy that I had the chance to spend my childhood in my home with my family.
Yes, but not everyone has a healthy family dynamic or lives in a safe area. Heck.....not everyone lives in a school district that gives dhh folks good accomondations.....
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #30
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,717
Blog Entries: 3
Likes: 52
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Yes I think they should. I am happy that I had the chance to spend my childhood in my home with my family.

I think there should be deaf programs with qualified teachers of the deaf in every district as a requirement by law, so all deaf students could be day students but still get a good education accessable to them.
FYI..a majority of the students who attend many deaf schools do not live at the dorms. Heck, there are even many deaf schools that dont have dorms like Phoenix Day School for the Deaf, to name one.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.