AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 10-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
kris2099

Smile Close Captioned DVD player

Hi all. Can anyone please advise which model/make of DVD players support Region 1's CC (close captions)? I could not find much information on this. And ebay sellers does not state or don't know which has CC decoder in them.

I have several DVD sets (Region 1) that only have CC but NO English subtitles. These include CSIs, Early Edition, Medium, etc. Mainly CBS/Paramount TV series.

Why bother putting CC nowadays where most of the rest of the major companies and the world uses "English subtitles for the hearing impaired" or "Subtitles for the deaf of hearing -- SDH" for DVDs?

Thanks.

Last edited by kris2099; 10-16-2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: To make it clearer
kris2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
JClarke
AD Veteran

Pioneer DVD Player (1080p Upscaling)
Alldeaf.com Official Meet II - date updated!
JClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
kris2099

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Pioneer DVD Player (1080p Upscaling)
Hi Jacob. Do you have the model number? Do you or anyone else know of any other DVD players that have a built in CC decoder?
Unread 10-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
JClarke
AD Veteran

I will have to check when I get home, I am at work at the moment. Will get back to you in a bit and whatnot
Unread 10-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
kris2099

Smile Looking for a DVD player with in-built CC decoder that can display Region 1's CCs

Quote:
I will have to check when I get home, I am at work at the moment. Will get back to you in a bit and whatnot
Hi Jacob. No problems. Thanks.

It will be greatly appreciated if any person is willingly to share this information. Thanks.
Unread 10-16-2008, 04:31 AM   #6
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Any brand name of DVD players include built-in CC circuit. Make sure to check CC, SHD or English Subtitle label in rear box of DVD movies before renting or buying.
Chevy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 04:32 AM   #7
JClarke
AD Veteran

My DVD player is Pioneer DV - 410V
Unread 10-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
madison069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy57 View Post
Any brand name of DVD players include built-in CC circuit. Make sure to check CC, SHD or English Subtitle label in rear box of DVD movies before renting or buying.

What he says.

I got a cheap $20 DVD player and if the DVD is CC then you can turn it on.

Don't fall for you got to buy a high dollar DVD player just to get CC
madison069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
imdeafsowhat
Banned

Xbox 360
imdeafsowhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
TechBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison069 View Post
What he says.

I got a cheap $20 DVD player and if the DVD is CC then you can turn it on.

Don't fall for you got to buy a high dollar DVD player just to get CC
You need a high dollar DVD player with CC built in if your going to watch upconvert movie on HDTV via HDMI cable ....

Upconvert take regular DVD movies and scales them up to High Def format and CC will not be carry over the HDMI cable so it will be needed for the upcovert DVD player to decode the CC and overlay it on video before it is sent to HDTV..

So if you going to use HDTV and plan to use HDMI then yes you need that Pioneer or any Upcovert DVD player with CC built in.

You can use cheap 20 dollar DVD player if use older RCA (composite yellow-video red/white-audo) then CC should work but it look terrible on HDTV because it would be stretched and fuzzy or use it on older non-HD tv SDTV.

TechBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
JClarke
AD Veteran

My DVD player which have RCA plugs and 1080p support upscaling with CC and it is looking awesome.
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
kris2099

Hi Jacob.

I just had a look at the Pioneer website. The only DVD player I can find close to what you have is DV-410V-K. There is another "K" at the end. Is that the correct one?

Also, with this DVD player, when you play a DVD movie with CC, do you use HDMI cable to get CC or do you use RCA cable to get CC?

I had a look at the DVD remote controller, there is no button for "CC" -- only "Subtitles". So when you place the DVD movie into the player, do you get an option that appears on the TV screen to turn CC on or....?????

Last edited by kris2099; 10-21-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: More questions
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
JClarke
AD Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris2099 View Post
Hi Jacob.

I just had a look at the Pioneer website. The only DVD player I can find close to what you have is DV-410V-K. There is another "K" at the end. Is that the correct one?

Also, with this DVD player, when you play a DVD movie with CC, do you use HDMI cable to get CC or do you use RCA cable to get CC?

I had a look at the DVD remote controller, there is no button for "CC" -- only "Subtitles". So when you place the DVD movie into the player, do you get an option that appears on the TV screen to turn CC on or....?????
Well, that must be a newer version, I think? We don't have that version in Australia or it must be an american version for it.

I have not yet to try the HMDI part of the DVD player but I can watch DVDs with CC/subtitles via RCA cable, while the DVD player automatically upscales with 1080p... and yes, you will have the option to have the CC/subtitles enabled on menu on the DVD, but remember --- it varies.
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

HDMI don't support closed caption in any DVD players. Better use RCA cable or componet cable.
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
JClarke
AD Veteran

hmm, what about at the same time?
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

I know that HDMI is different circuit between American and Australian style to support closed caption or not.
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
JClarke
AD Veteran

Will do some testing though, and advise y'all soon.
Unread 10-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #18
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Quote:
Will do some testing though, and advise y'all soon.
Try to do it. let me know.

both of Supertext Subtitles and Closed Captioning for any TV stations in Australia?
Unread 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #19
kris2099

Smile

Quote:
Well, that must be a newer version, I think? We don't have that version in Australia or it must be an american version for it.

I have not yet to try the HMDI part of the DVD player but I can watch DVDs with CC/subtitles via RCA cable, while the DVD player automatically upscales with 1080p... and yes, you will have the option to have the CC/subtitles enabled on menu on the DVD, but remember --- it varies.
Hi Jacob. I did not realise that you are in Australia. That simplifies things as I am also in Australia. Now since this DVD player (DV-410V) is an Australian release version,

(i) is this a multi-region DVD player or do you need some code to crack it?

(ii) Some Region 1 DVDs only have CC but no English subtitles. For example, the following Region 1 DVDs: CSI (CSI/CSI NY/CSI Miami), Medium, Early Edition, etc (mainly Region 1 CBS/Paramount/Sony TV series titles) all have CC but NO English subtitles. My question is does this Australian release DVD player able to display Region 1's CC?

(iii) What do you mean "it varies"?
Unread 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #20
JClarke
AD Veteran

we call it Supertext and captions here, it is the law that the subtitles must be available fropm 5pm to 10:30pm every day (primetime) and it will improve to get 24/7 in few years time, but we have subtitles available from 5am to 10am in the morning as well.
Unread 10-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #21
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Quote:
we call it Supertext and captions here, it is the law that the subtitles must be available fropm 5pm to 10:30pm every day (primetime) and it will improve to get 24/7 in few years time, but we have subtitles available from 5am to 10am in the morning as well.
Interesting! let's help for kris2099. Thanks!
Unread 10-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #22
JClarke
AD Veteran

Australia is young, that's why. We are just catching up with our technology

Lets see what Kris2099 can get... Pioneeer DVD Player is a good one.
Unread 10-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #23
JClarke
AD Veteran

Quote:
Hi Jacob. I did not realise that you are in Australia. That simplifies things as I am also in Australia. Now since this DVD player (DV-410V) is an Australian release version,

(i) is this a multi-region DVD player or do you need some code to crack it?

(ii) Some Region 1 DVDs only have CC but no English subtitles. For example, the following Region 1 DVDs: CSI (CSI/CSI NY/CSI Miami), Medium, Early Edition, etc (mainly Region 1 CBS/Paramount/Sony TV series titles) all have CC but NO English subtitles. My question is does this Australian release DVD player able to display Region 1's CC?

(iii) What do you mean "it varies"?

I didn't realise this post until now!

You say, you're from australia Where do you hail from?

Well, it varies becuase some DVDs have the CC logo on the newer DVDs, but it would be impossible to find it at first, but they only display the CC logo such as this below for example:

CC logo - Google Image Search

The first one, since the image is too big to post it here, so refer to the link above.

and yes, it is a multi-region DVD player, I think. I have to check again though. Let me get back to you in few days, I have plenty of multi region DVDs.

And about the "it varies" -- NOT all DVDs can provide CC/subtitles, becuase they cost them $$ to have them intergrated, I know it sucks, but now the newer ones and the Blu Ray Discs are all madatory to have CC. But I am not 100% correct though.
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #24
kris2099

Quote:
I didn't realise this post until now!

You say, you're from australia Where do you hail from?

Well, it varies becuase some DVDs have the CC logo on the newer DVDs, but it would be impossible to find it at first, but they only display the CC logo such as this below for example:

CC logo - Google Image Search

The first one, since the image is too big to post it here, so refer to the link above.

and yes, it is a multi-region DVD player, I think. I have to check again though. Let me get back to you in few days, I have plenty of multi region DVDs.

And about the "it varies" -- NOT all DVDs can provide CC/subtitles, becuase they cost them $$ to have them intergrated, I know it sucks, but now the newer ones and the Blu Ray Discs are all madatory to have CC. But I am not 100% correct though.
H Jacob.

From Victoria.

Yes, the Region 1 DVDs that I own have the CC logo on the box and disc. However, English subtitles is not available. My DVD player cannot display CC. However, when I put it on my laptop using Windows Media Player, and turn on the captions, CC appears.

So, that's the reason why I am looking for a standalone DVD player which can display Region 1 CC. I buy most of the DVDs from USA. As listed before, those titles I mentioned only have CC but no English subtitles which is a bit frustating as my DVD player cannot display Region 1's CC.

Do you have any of those TV series I mentioned before? Maybe you can test them out yourself if you have the time. Mainly CBS/Paramount/Sony TV series.

Fortunately, the Region 1 movies from Sony/Paramount have English subtitles (SDH). I cannot understand why these studios have 2 standards -- CC for TV series, SDH for movies.
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #25
JClarke
AD Veteran

I can understand the frustation, your DVD player must be non- multi region player so you will need a multi region player which is the best investment in DVD player. That DVD player I recommended you is located from JB HI-FI, but I have bought it for $150 and right now it has gone down to $99

Ahh, from victoria, eh. I am from Canberra.

I have scrubs TV series, perhaps, I can try them, but am not sure what region they are. But I have this DVD from bali, which has a different region I think 1 or 4, not sure. It works fine in my parents DVD player, but not mine just yet.

Laptops have strict limits, such as they have only 3 turns to switch to Region 1 or 4,
once the regions are used, then you will be stuck to your perferred region, sucks I know.
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #26
kris2099

Hi Jacob and Chevy57

Quote:
I can understand the frustation, your DVD player must be non- multi region player so you will need a multi region player which is the best investment in DVD player. That DVD player I recommended you is located from JB HI-FI, but I have bought it for $150 and right now it has gone down to $99

Ahh, from victoria, eh. I am from Canberra.

I have scrubs TV series, perhaps, I can try them, but am not sure what region they are. But I have this DVD from bali, which has a different region I think 1 or 4, not sure. It works fine in my parents DVD player, but not mine just yet.

Laptops have strict limits, such as they have only 3 turns to switch to Region 1 or 4,
once the regions are used, then you will be stuck to your perferred region, sucks I know.

Hi Jacob. The DVD players I have used are all multi-region DVD players (3 of them -- Sony, LG and one that I bought from EzyDVD shop). But none support Region 1 DVD CCs.

I think you need to test those Region 1 DVDs that only have CC but no English subtitles stated in the box.

Chevy57 -- perhaps you could also give some advice since you are from USA?
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #27
JClarke
AD Veteran

I'll see what I can get from my new DVD player and get back to you. What are you going to do with these many DVD players?
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #28
kris2099

Quote:
I'll see what I can get from my new DVD player and get back to you. What are you going to do with these many DVD players?
One for the lounge, one for the bedroom, a couple for spare?

And if the Pioneer work, it will then become the CC player!!!
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #29
JClarke
AD Veteran

Just one more thing, can you give me some examples of the region 1 CC DVDs, so just to see if I have them and use it for your example?
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #30
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Quote:
Hi Jacob. The DVD players I have used are all multi-region DVD players (3 of them -- Sony, LG and one that I bought from EzyDVD shop). But none support Region 1 DVD CCs.

I think you need to test those Region 1 DVDs that only have CC but no English subtitles stated in the box.

Chevy57 -- perhaps you could also give some advice since you are from USA?
Kris2099, are you at USA?