An Update From Us

Deborah

Reaction score
I lost part of my post, but I will try to segway into what I wrote. I just wanted to update everyone on our current situation. We are still not yet in Florida, but we are getting closer to making things work--somehow, some way. My daughter is in the 8th grade at the local public school--the deaf and hh program is there--there is one other girl and two boys in the deaf/hh class--socially, it still is not the ideal situation for my daughter. She still REALLY wants to get to the deaf school in Florida as soon as possible!

Recently she has been dealing with hearing aid issues. She has had the same pair for years now(since kindergarten!!). They have been repaired over the years, but now things are starting to happen that lets us know that we HAVE to replace them soon!! She is lucky to have gotten so much use out of this pair!! Still, our current health insurance doesn't cover hearing aids...just recently read the big nasty EXCLUSIONS section: How DARE they cover things like drug rehab but NOT cover hearing aids!!!!!! It is CRAZY!!!! We are in that unlucky population known as "middle class"--we don't have the money to afford many things, yet we make "too much money" to qualify for many services that are geared toward low-income families. Yep--the middle class just gets screwed, don't we!! Oh--this housing market, this economy crisis, the credit crunch...we are getting killed financially!! We just want to provide proper health care (hearing aids) and education (deaf school) for our daughter--we keep finding many doors closed to us regarding these issues. But I am not giving up...I am just beginning to rethink the situation and I am trying to come up with alternatives.

As far as hearing aids repair and replacement: one hearing aid may truly be "dead"--it may NOT be able to be repaired. The other hearing aid is functioning fine, but recently a piece broke off that may or may not be able to be replaced. I am taking them in to a repair shop today to see if anything can be done. Long story short: earmold is fine, tube connecting earmold is fine, ear hook connecting to tube is fine, and hearing aid itself is fine--the problem is the connection between the hearing aid and the ear hook. They are Oticon Digifocus 2 digital hearing aids--she got them in 2000. Yes, I know...they are old and we may not be able to find the part that needs to be repaired--but I am hoping. This place that we are going today says that they have parts from old aids--they MAY be able to fix it--I sure hope so!! If we can fix this piece, the ear hook/tube/ear mold can be reattached to the hearing aid and HOPEFULLY my daughter can wear at least one for a little bit longer. Basically, we are trying to buy just a bit more time until our situation gets better---we think that we can get a reduced rate on hearing aids once we are Florida residents(buying them through the school audiologist)--plus ear molds are free for students--plus batteries are free, too. And I would really like to buy new hearing aids there instead of here so that when they need to be reset, repaired, etc. then we won't have to deal with an out-of-state audiologist. The audiology department at the deaf school does lots of maintenance on hearing aids, plus they even have loaner aids if one needs to be sent away for repair. That is MUCH better than our situation here through the local public school system!

How is my daughter dealing with not having hearing aids right now? Not so great, but better than I thought she would. Basically, when she was diagnosed with a hearing loss at one year old, they gave her some loaner aids and then she got her first pair soon afterward. We upgraded her to digitals right before she started kindergarten. Over the years, she has worn two hearing aids everyday. On occasion, we may have sent one off for repair--she still had one everyday during those times. This time, they are both currently "out of commission" and she is spending a lot of time without any hearing aids--at least at home. At school, she has a pair that has FM boots on them--she is not allowed to wear those home. So, for the first time in her life(since her diagnosis), she is without hearing aids. This has only been a few days since BOTH are now not wearable--we are trying to fix at least one as soon as possible. I think that it is tougher on me than it is on her!! I feel "guilty" about it...you know, mother guilt! Part of me wants to run right out and get her some new hearing aids immediately--but we really cannot afford to do that right this minute. Still, I will do whatever I need to do to help my daughter--I also feel very guilty that I haven't been able to get this move to Florida in action--I feel really bad that she STILL is not attending her "dream school" in Florida. There are also other issues--some related to my hearing son who is in 10th grade--I feel like I am messing up HIS high school experience in order to get his sister a better deaf education. Oh, mother guilt!! It sure can eat away at us!!

Anyway--my daughter is learning sign language--slowly but surely. She is learning through school and I am learning through her. She learns from the deaf teacher and the school interpreter--both very nice people who she gets along with beautifully. They are young women who almost feel like big sisters to her. She will miss them when she moves, but I am sure that she will LOVE having people her own age to bond with at the deaf school. She is also in a "sign language club" at school this year--she is like a peer tutor for the hearing students who are just beginning to learn. Even though she is not really fluent herself yet, she feels confident when helping the true "newbies"--this is great for her confidence! SO--during this time with no hearing aids at home, we are using some sign, some finger spelling, some writing notes, and a LOT of lipreading to communicate. I am seeing what her life really is like as a deaf teenager--she still listens to music through headphones(she always takes off her hearing aids to do that anyway), she still watches tv with closed captioning on, she still text messages her friends, she still communicates with friends on MySpace--basically, she is doing just fine! :) Last night, she used to light of the tv to lipread me while we talked--when a commercial was on or somehow the tv light dimmed, we would wait until it brightened to finish talking. It is interesting to see her work her way through this--I am very proud of her because she isn't "freaking out" like I thought she might do. Yes, she does say that she hopes her hearing aids can be repaired SOON because she really wants to hear, but she is finding ways to compensate. It is definitely not a "life or death" situation even though it is a big adjustment.

On the Florida move--I have one idea that, while not the BEST idea, just may work if nothing else does. We DO have family in Pensacola, Florida who have offered to let us stay there until we completed our planned move to the Orlando area. Here is the situation: as long as my daughter is a resident of Florida, she can attend FSDB and get transportation to and from school on the weekends. The school is in St. Augustine--my husband's current job has an office in Orlando and he is trying to work out a transfer there. The plan is to get her enrolled as a boarding student(spring semester of this year, hopefully)--probably begin the process as an "out-of-state student"--move SOMEWHERE in Florida and become residents(waive the out-of-state fees)--and eventually get settled into the Orlando area(hopefully by this summer!). The bus ride from St. Augustine to Orlando is about 2 hours or less. That is definitely "doable". BUT--if we stayed with my family in Pensacola, that is a LOT further away--maybe a 6 or 7 hour bus ride?!! I know that there are some students who do that every weekend--but wow! All day Friday and all day Sunday would just be travel days!! It is a possibility, but not the best one. I would much rather have her only 2 hours away, not 6 or 7---plus, the length of time on the bus! Still, it IS an option, and it IS a better option than just staying here and continuing the delay in our move to Florida. My daughter really needs to get enrolled at the deaf school--I am thinking of MANY options--this is just one idea. It would be the last resort, but it would definitely be better than not going at all.

Well--that is where we stand right now. I am doing everything I can to make things work for my daughter. I am trying to find a way to make things work for the rest of the family, too. It is not easy being a parent, that is for sure. It is a wonderful blessing and I have enjoyed it immensely, but sometimes you have to make some really tough choices and decisions. If my daughter and I move to Florida in January(to live with relatives or otherwise), my husband and son will probably stay here at least until May. My son is not really happy at his current high school, but he does want to complete the year there instead of being transient and attending several different schools during the moving process. Luckily, my parents live down the road--my son is about to turn 16 and my husband has to travel out of town a lot for work. My son can spend a lot of time "home alone" at 16, but I don't want to feel like I am leaving him completely on his own--sometimes my husband will be here, and other times my parents will fill in. I hope we ALL make it through this tough transition. I sure would love to have GOOD news in the near future...wish us luck! :)

Thanks for the update, Deborah. Keep hanging in there.

Well, they couldn't repair either hearing aid at the shop, but all is not lost. Keep in mind that these are 8+ years old--they are some of the earliest digital aids available. When the repair shop called Oticon, they said they no longer could repair that model--probably no longer carry the parts. BUT, then they called Starkey--they had complete confidence that they could fix the one that just needed a connection piece--this one is still working just fine and does not need any work on the aid itself, just the part where the ear hook connects to the aid. It will cost about $250. Not cheap, but a lot less expensive than buying new digital hearing aids!! As for the other hearing aid--we decided not to send it off for repair. The hearing aid itself--the technical workings inside--are not functioning. That is a MUCH bigger deal than repairing a connecting piece! So--we sent off one to get it repaired and HOPE that it will come back "as good as new." Well, at least working fine and continuing to work fine for a few more months. Once we get moved, we will look into getting a new pair of digitals--if our financial situation improves in the future, maybe we can get the newest and best--hopefully THOSE will last at least 8 or 9 years through her young adulthood! WOW--never thought about that...as she grows up and leaves home, she will have to figure out how to afford these things herself every few years. To those who have replaced hearing aids many times through the years, how long can you make a pair of hearing aids last? Maybe replace them every decade? I HOPE the new ones will last longer than new computers seem to last--but then again, I am sure that getting "new technology" every few years is a better option. Wow--why in the world don't most health insurance companies cover them? That is just crazy!!

Oh--we weren't able to get access to any loaner aids while waiting for the repair, but I figured out a way to do SOMETHING--if my daughter has to go without any hearing aids for a week or more, she would survive, but she REALLY needs amplification if possible. SO--I went to a box where some of her childhood things are stored, including her first pair of hearing aids. She got them in 1996--she wore then until 2000--she was ages 1 to 5--those hearing aids are analog(not digital) and we replaced them with digital aids in 2000. So they are 12+ years old, but they were only worn for 4 years. We put them away in a box and almost forgot about them. At one time I had considered giving them to charity. Well, now I am glad that I kept them--they both work!! I had all of the proper connections to get one of them attached to her current ear molds. I listened to it through a stethescope--maybe not as good as digital, but pretty darn good!! WOW--who would have thought her old hearing aids from when she was a toddler would come in handy when she was a teenager!! SO--when she gets home today, I will ask her to try it and see if it helps. I would think that it would be much better than not having anything--and it DOES seem to still be working just fine. If it could get her through the week of waiting for the digital to be repaired, that would be great. Then, when she gets her digital aid back, she can decide if she wants to wear one digital or if she wants to try the analog for her other ear at the same time. Anyone ever do that? I don't know--maybe they would sound too differently and it would be more annoying than helpful. Well, at least I figured out a backup plan. We are having to become quite innovative these days! You do what you have to do! :)

PS--Getting her old hearing aids out reminds me so much of when she was little! Oh, those early days were SO challenging!! Yes, she was my sweet little baby girl, but life was VERY VERY busy and hectic back then! Oh, and the feelings I had back then when she was first diagnosed--wow, if I knew what a wonderful young lady she would turn out to be, I wouldn't have worried at all! Isn't it amazing how fast it all goes!!

Deborah,

Congratulations to your daughter for making the necessary adjustments while her hearing aids are currently out of commission. Speaking of which, have you tried contacting the Lions Club in your area? They have a special program which provides free hearing aids to those in need.

In regards to the Oticon DigiFocus II, I used to wear them back in 2004. They had to be repaired 3 times during the first year I owned them (1999) due to a short in the amplifier. While I think Oticon is an excellent brand when it comes to hearing aids, the DigiFocus II's need alot of improvement. Then again, they were one of the first digital aids to be released, so perhaps that explains why I had so many issues with them.

I wish you and your daughter all the best with your move to Florida and hope you'll continue to keep us updated on her progress! :)

P.S. My analog Oticon 380Ps worked perfectly for 15 years (not once did they require a single repair), so it is indeed possible to have hearing aids for longer than a few years.

Deborah,

Congratulations to your daughter for making the necessary adjustments while her hearing aids are currently out of commission. Speaking of which, have you tried contacting the Lions Club in your area? They have a special program which provides free hearing aids to those in need.

In regards to the Oticon DigiFocus II, I used to wear them back in 2004. They had to be repaired 3 times during the first year I owned them (1999) due to a short in the amplifier. While I think Oticon is an excellent brand when it comes to hearing aids, the DigiFocus II's need alot of improvement. Then again, they were one of the first digital aids to be released, so perhaps that explains why I had so many issues with them.

I wish you and your daughter all the best with your move to Florida and hope you'll continue to keep us updated on her progress! :)

P.S. My analog Oticon 380Ps worked perfectly for 15 years (not once did they require a single repair), so it is indeed possible to have hearing aids for longer than a few years.

I remember when I needed a new hearing aid, I contacted the Lions for money for my hearing aid and they did an excellent job of helping me pay for it.

Anyway--my daughter is learning sign language--slowly but surely. She is learning through school and I am learning through her. She learns from the deaf teacher and the school interpreter--both very nice people who she gets along with beautifully. They are young women who almost feel like big sisters to her. She will miss them when she moves, but I am sure that she will LOVE having people her own age to bond with at the deaf school. She is also in a "sign language club" at school this year--she is like a peer tutor for the hearing students who are just beginning to learn.
Excellent!
That is awesome she is learning Sign.......too bad you couldn't find a summer program/sign camp.
I definitly would get her to Florida AS SOON AS possible.
Yes, if you ended up in P'secola, it would be a long bus ride..........but you know......those things are kind of fun when you're a teenager.
And it's so good that she's got sign abilty to survive without her hearing aids.

I was similar like this few years ago. My mom couldn't afford buy me new hearing aides. and I have asked her that I went to go deaf school either Texas Sc hool for the Deaf or Florida School for the Deaf (I live in Texas at that time). So I visited both school and decided that I go for Texas School for the Deaf when I was senior in high school. I never learned ASL until there. Anyway, my hearing high school PAID for my deaf school, even fly home every weekend as well. You should try that out from your daughter school to see if they can help you with it. My hearing school did offered either school in Texas or Florida. And the deaf school do offered free hearing aides, I might be wrong but I did got for FREE. There is a Vocational Rehabilitation service that help you what your daughter need. I got that since I was maybe 7 or 8 grade, they did help me what I need like hearing aides, equipments, etc. You should be able to get your daughter need since you can't afford it. My mom is middle class and we got it. I hope this helps a little and good luck with move and your daughter attending deaf school.

Deborah,

I will check into the Lions Club, but we have been turned down for many things based on income. But, you never know. With the cost of living going up so much lately, even a "decent" paycheck doesn't go very far! But maybe government programs are very strict about income requirements and private organizations are more flexible--we just have to laugh when things like SSI are denied to us due to us "making too much money"!! Yeah, right! If we were, we wouldn't be asking for help!

Yeah, I guess trying the first digital hearing aids was kind of a gamble--they made a lot of improvements through the years. This made me think about cochlear implants--if hearing aids needs to be replaced every few years, what about implants? I imagine the external equipment does, but what about the implant itself? Or have they not been around long enough to know yet? My daughter started with analog, then switched to new digitals, and now need more advanced digitals--we just heard about blutooth enabled hearing aids! WOW! So the constant need to upgrade these tiny "ear computers" coincides with the need to upgrade other technology--there is always something bigger and better coming out(and sometimes smaller and better!). So, less technologically advanced analog hearing aids typically last longer than digitals? I guess that makes sense. Kind of like the good old Ford trucks lasting a lot longer than computerized modern cars. Don't get me wrong--I love new technology, but it does seem that the old saying, "They don't make things like they used to" often applies. But where would we be without it?!!

Excellent!
That is awesome she is learning Sign.......too bad you couldn't find a summer program/sign camp.
I definitly would get her to Florida AS SOON AS possible.
Yes, if you ended up in P'secola, it would be a long bus ride..........but you know......those things are kind of fun when you're a teenager.
And it's so good that she's got sign abilty to survive without her hearing aids.

I think we need to try to find out how many students ride the bus to and from Pensacola every weekend. Maybe if she DID make a friend or two on the bus, it wouldn't seem so bad. But that sure would be a LONG ride EVERY weekend if you didn't have friends on the bus! I'll try to think positive--first of all, I HOPE that we can get to Orlando by January. But, if not, I think Pensacola is the best option--much better than staying here. I really am worried about those standardized tests in the spring. Here, in 8th grade, if they don't pass them, they can't go on to high school! My daughter is terrified of those darn tests! $%#@ NCLB!!!! And I am beginning to get a bit excited about maybe spending time with my relatives in Pensacola--really, the only negative would be the LONG bus ride...maybe it wouldn't be THAT bad!! And it would only be for a few months (one semester)--hopefully we could finally get moved to Orlando by the summer. I am beginning to seriously consider this...I am determined to make this work, one way or another!

I will check into the Lions Club, but we have been turned down for many things based on income. But, you never know. With the cost of living going up so much lately, even a "decent" paycheck doesn't go very far! But maybe government programs are very strict about income requirements and private organizations are more flexible--we just have to laugh when things like SSI are denied to us due to us "making too much money"!! Yeah, right! If we were, we wouldn't be asking for help!

Yeah, I guess trying the first digital hearing aids was kind of a gamble--they made a lot of improvements through the years. This made me think about cochlear implants--if hearing aids needs to be replaced every few years, what about implants? I imagine the external equipment does, but what about the implant itself? Or have they not been around long enough to know yet? My daughter started with analog, then switched to new digitals, and now need more advanced digitals--we just heard about blutooth enabled hearing aids! WOW! So the constant need to upgrade these tiny "ear computers" coincides with the need to upgrade other technology--there is always something bigger and better coming out(and sometimes smaller and better!). So, less technologically advanced analog hearing aids typically last longer than digitals? I guess that makes sense. Kind of like the good old Ford trucks lasting a lot longer than computerized modern cars. Don't get me wrong--I love new technology, but it does seem that the old saying, "They don't make things like they used to" often applies. But where would we be without it?!!

Deborah,

Since the Oticon DigiFocus II was the only digital hearing aid I've had experience with, I don't know if digitals as a whole have a longer lifespan than analogs. Perhaps someone else can share their experiences with digital vs. analog.

As for CIs (cochlear implants), if I remember correctly, the implant itself is warrantied for 10 years (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I know two CI users who have had their implants for over 10 years -- one for 18 years and the other for 21. While it is true that CIs can fail at any time, this is rare. When and if this happens, a person can be re-implanted with the most current, up-to-date CI available. If anything does go wrong with a CI, it's due to the external components/speech processor. I don't know about the other CI companies (Advanced Bionics and Med-El), but Cochlear offers a 3 year warranty on speech processors. If your processor stops working, you simply send it back to Cochlear and they will exchange it for a functional refurbished unit.

Wow! That sounds like a tough situation. Thanks for sharing everything with us. I can undy about the middle class part as my hubby and I are going thru the same issues.

Hang in there and yea, HAs should be covered by insurance.

:hug:

socially, it still is not the ideal situation for my daughter. She still REALLY wants to get to the deaf school in Florida as soon as possible!
Tell your daughter that I totally emphasize with her. A lot of dhh kids have really bad social problems around jr high and high school . Matter of fact, my parents now think that they should have been a little more openminded as to mainstreaming me. I think if I'd been happier socially in school, I would have been able to achieve so much more. Still resent my horrible experiance in jr high and high school.
I would definitly look into Pensecola........it's only for one semester! It's not gonna be forver!

My daughter started with analog, then switched to new digitals, and now need more advanced digitals--we just heard about blutooth enabled hearing aids!
She might not.......I know that some people think " Oh the latest technology is the best. Not nessarily.......It really does just depend.

Sounds like you've learned a lot from watching your daughter. It's like she's clueing you in that she'll grow up into well-adjusted adult despite the obstacles.

Never give up hope. She'll get to FSDB one way or other.

Cheer up and think positive!

Life Sure Is Full Of Surprises!

OMG! (Yes, I am picking up lots of "teen slang" from my teens!). OK--so here is another update: and a whole different possible direction! My brother just found out that he will be moving to Washington D.C. in the spring. We discussed lots of things, and he suggested that my daughter and I could stay with him and check out MSSD. I know that my daughter COULD attend there no matter where we lived in the US, but I just HATED the idea of sending her far away and not seeing her except for the holidays! It was hard enough to accept the idea of only seeing her on weekends if she attends FSDB--I felt that the only way I could stand for her to be away all week was if she came home every weekend. She is 14 years old--old enough to spend time away from home, but not old enough to actually "leave home"(only coming home for the holidays is like being in college!! Not quite ready for that yet!). Anyway--we still are trying to make things work out for Florida--we hope to eventually get our whole family moved to the same place! It is going to be a tough thing to do, though! For now, my husband will be stuck here--still trying to sell the house and get the job transfer to work out. For him, even though his company most likely can get him transferred to Orlando, there is no guarantee of it--we are just hoping. He worked 10 years for the Corps of Engineers before taking this job--he says that he might could get a government job in DC with his prior government experience--still, no guarantees, though. So, getting the house sold and getting a job transfer EITHER to Orlando or DC is his focus, depending on what the REST of us end up doing! I know--it's crazy isn't it?!! But we have done this before--sometimes it takes a while to get everyone living in the same place, but we have always worked it out eventually. My son is in the 10th grade and is very unhappy in his current high school--if I could get him to a GOOD high school for his Junior and Senior years, I would feel so much better about making him move for his sister's benefit(know what I mean?). I have already checked out some schools in both Maryland and Virginia(just outside of DC)--there really are some great high schools! Some have ranked as the top schools in the country! After my son graduates, he can follow his own dreams and won't have to worry about revolving his life around his sister(it really can be a tough situation for the siblings!). I guess the good news is that he is really ready to move--he isn't begging to stay here--he seems fine with the idea of either moving to Florida or DC. He really looks up to my brother(his uncle), and the idea of moving to DC and living near him seems to appeal to him. I don't know if this is the "right" thing for him or not, but we are trying to make things good for BOTH of our teenagers. My daughter also seems to be ok with the idea of moving to DC, although she still is crazy about FSDB. Once again, the idea of moving and living near her uncle helps with her acceptance of the idea of changing our plans. As for me--I think I can get a job doing SOMETHING in either Florida or DC, but I wonder if my chances would be better in DC...I don't know. The job market is so "iffy" right now--but, I DO have a masters degree that I want to put to use!! We have considered moving to DC before, but it ended up not working out. My parents lived there for 5 years and we visited them often--we do love it there! And now that my brother will be there, my parents are thinking of moving back! Oh, I don't know!! We THOUGHT we knew what direction we were moving in, and now we MAY be faced with a chance to go a completely different direction!! OK--just looking at deaf schools: how will a deaf teenage girl who loves to talk but is learning more and more sign language every day do at MSSD? Please tell me that she won't be encouraged to "turn her voice off" because she does not want to do that. She is definitely interested in becoming fluent in sign, but it wouldn't be fair to her if she is shunned or isolated because she PREFERS to talk. I got the feeling at FSDB that there were lots of students just like her--no one seemed to shun her for speaking and they all seemed eager to teach her to sign--no judgement or isolation because she is still learning. For those who are familiar with MSSD, does it seem to be the same kind of environment? I know that the school will welcome her and teach her sign language, but I am trying to get a feel for the social environment among the students. I just want my daughter to have the best high school experience she possibly can have! At a "regular" school, she feels isolated. I am hoping that she will be accepted as "one of the crowd" at a deaf high school. I know that there are never any guarantees about that kind of stuff, but I want to enroll her into a school that will make her feel "right at home." If she feels left out--if everyone else is signing only and few people talk to her--she will feel isolated. If people talk to her and they practice signing and help each other become more fluent, then she will feel comfortable, know what I mean? I just have heard some "oral deaf" people say that they felt uncomfortable at Galludet--and I have heard others say just the opposite. So, anyone have an idea of the current environment at MSSD? Do you think my daughter would feel comfortable there? And then...if she stayed and went to Galludet...wow! This MAY be the answer we weren't even looking for?!! I still don't know for certain, though--I just think we may have more options to look at now. Most of all, if we moved to DC, I think there would be many good things available to our family: 1--my daughter would be at a wonderful deaf school for her high school years AND we would all live in the same location!!, 2--my son would have some wonderful opportunities available to him for his junior and senior years in high school, 3--we would have some family members live nearby(my brother and possibly my parents), 4--both my husband and I may be able to progress in our careers while there, 5--we would be living in a great place with many things to do(We LOVE DC!). Still, there are many good things about our plan to move to Florida, too--it just hasn't worked out yet!! So, that is our update: sometime in the near future, we either will be trying to move to Florida OR DC! I guess we will just have to see how it all works out!!

how will a deaf teenage girl who loves to talk but is learning more and more sign language every day do at MSSD? Please tell me that she won't be encouraged to "turn her voice off" because she does not want to do that. She is definitely interested in becoming fluent in sign, but it wouldn't be fair to her if she is shunned or isolated because she PREFERS to talk. I got the feeling at FSDB that there were lots of students just like her--no one seemed to shun her for speaking and they all seemed eager to teach her to sign--no judgement or isolation because she is still learning. For those who are familiar with MSSD, does it seem to be the same kind of environment?
I do know there are quite a few hoh students at MSSD. I don't think it's a "voice off" campus.....I have a friend on my buddy list who attends MSSD, but I haven't seen her on line in a while. Maybe Shel may know MSSD folks and can give you a better idea.
That would so work out well if you guys ended up in DC! MSSD is supposed to be one of the best deafie high schools out there!

I do know there are quite a few hoh students at MSSD. I don't think it's a "voice off" campus.....I have a friend on my buddy list who attends MSSD, but I haven't seen her on line in a while. Maybe Shel may know MSSD folks and can give you a better idea.
That would so work out well if you guys ended up in DC! MSSD is supposed to be one of the best deafie high schools out there!

It's weird how things sometimes work out, isn't it? We have been talking to our friends and family for almost 2 years about moving to Florida...and now we may move to DC! Or we may still end up in Florida--who knows. I just know that my daughter began asking about deaf schools when she began middle school. We began our research, plus some things came up that made us think that we may be moving to Florida. When that fell through, we didn't want to give up our "Florida dream" so we kept trying to make things work out. Time went on and on and on...now my daughter is nearing the end of middle school. While it hasn't been an ideal situation, she hasn't suffered irreparable damage--still, I think the high school here would be a TERRIBLE match for her. My son is a pretty good student, and he does not think highly of the school--I truly think my daughter would get totally lost there. So, even though I wanted to get my daughter to a deaf school for middle school, it looks like it will have to wait until her high school years. Something may work out sooner--maybe at the end of her 8th grade year--but she had to spend most of her middle school years in a regular school. At least she has the resources of the deaf/hh program now, even though it is a very small program(only 4 deaf students). Her teacher and interpreter are very sweet--she has bonded with them and will miss them. But, I can only imagine how great she will do with MANY teachers and interpreters that understand deaf education! I especially think she will LOVE being at school with MANY other deaf students! I know that FSDB is supposedly the largest, but I think MSSD is almost as large, right? The numbers may span all grades for FSDB--plus they also count the blind students. I wonder if the numbers are similar when counting just the deaf high school students? Anyway--both schools seem to me to have similar qualities--both are large, have great facilities, have caring and qualified faculty and staff, and have lots of opportunities for the students both inside and outside of the classroom. I think my daughter would be happy at either school. If anyone has info to sway me one way or the other, please share! :)

In my experience, bi-bi schools (not speaking to MSSD in particular, but others that I am familiar with) expect all communication in the classroom to be in ASL, so that no student left out.

OMG, I want to read this but couldn't bother but noticed it's a long post by Deborah. and it burned my eyes...ouchie...I will read this thread some other time

Back