AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 05-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
yagazn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some hearing people still thinks....

I'm not here to offend hearing people who read this. But it is true.

I got uncomfortable when some hearing people talk about "deaf and dumb".

My hearing friend overheard other hearing people say something mean about "deaf" because they thought she looked deaf but not. she got up and says to them, "hi, I heard you" (she's not angry, just smile). They were totally speechless and embrassed. She's good with ASL and looked real deaf. It happened at restaurant.

My friend and I noticed some hearing people act 'bully" who made fun of other deaf because of sign language you know communicate with other friends at restaurant.
You know what? Why someone made fun of sign language in restaurant, I mean. You sit and eat right? (Because you're hungry right), so, why bother making fun of deaf. That's stupid. And they don't finish their foods. Why focus on deaf instead of foods.

my friend and I had a bad experience at some restaurant. We pick where we can have a quiet conversation without some "bully" hearing people distrub us. And sometime take out. Or look for private seat so that they will not bother us. But sometimes many 'hearing" people there, waitress politely and says, that's table we had now, we says, "ok" we had to you know ignore them when someone made fun of our signing.

Some hearing always seem uncomfortable seeing a deaf person signed in restaurant or it bother them. I remembered a hearing person insulted that says "look like a monkey" (she think that deaf is acting like a monkey gesture because of sign, WRONG!). We don't sign like a monkey, but monkey did signed in real life but not how we act like a monkey.

My partner and I went to a good restaurant, (we always go there as regular customer, waitress know us very well). Someone bought her 8 yrs old daughter to restaurant because her mom is a waitress which is our waitress always. However, I was surprised when 8 yrs old girl asked my partner, "is deaf people you know a retard"?. My partner explained that to her, "oh no, deaf people are not retard, deaf people can't hear, born deaf can't hear". She says, "oh, I heard it from school". I was like, "OMG" and I just silent. Her mom embrassed and says, "I'm sorry". I can't imagine hearing kids would believe like that. I know 8 yrs old is just a kid and didn't understand but not a good idea, someone must have told her that "deaf are retard" at her school.

Every Ddeaf/Hhoh wants to enjoy foods without distrub.

Last edited by yagazn; 05-17-2008 at 02:06 PM.
yagazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sorry you had to experience like this. Were the people that used "deaf and dumb" term, older?
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Rainshower77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some hearing poeple would say to other hearing like "Are you deaf, or something?" in a insulting way.
Rainshower77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
yagazn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I am sorry you had to experience like this. Were the people that used "deaf and dumb" term, older?
I know...Well, some stupid ignorant 'hearing' people still use the word, "deaf and dumb". Pass it to other hearing who learn about "deaf and dumb". I guess they can't help it. maybe make them feel better. But I don't like word "dumb". Why word "dumb" because deaf can't talk but wait a min, deaf can talk with sign doesn't mean "dumb" (HELLO!, that's how I figured it out).
Unread 05-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Rainshower77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dumb suppose to mean mute. as in not speaking. but people have been using it as an insult.
Rainshower77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
jenni-m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know much of what actually happens unless someone tells me, but yeah.

My BF is hard of hearing with hearing aides, but there have been a couple times he heard or saw something and then confronted the people.

Like one time coming out of Denny's there were kids loitering around and he over heard them say something and he talked to them I think, he would not tell me exactly but I could tell he was upset about it.

And one time he had gone to the rest room and someone had been throwing things on me while he was gone, paper balls and food... I think maybe they were doing it so nobody else could see but he caught them doing it on the way back and had them thrown out. That was very embarrassing for me as I didn't know what to do or if someone else was seeing it happen or what, and I didn't want to try to confront anyone by myself. It was a bit frightening and confusing... I had to leave the restaurant after that because I was embarrassed and stressed by then...
jenni-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
PowerON

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
I had few problem when I was dating with hottie hearing girl who knowledge ASL well. Yet, hearing on other tablet were hooting at her. But didn't realize she can hear what they said. Oops for them.
Unread 05-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
cdaigle430

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry about those kind of people, their not the kind of idiots you want to hang around anyway. Alot of times they make fun or pun of HOH or deaf or blind or whatever else just because they are insecure about themselves, if not then they are just plain ugly people with ugly personalities-who cares what they think anyway.
Sometimes when you asl, deaf people also make noises like grunting noises without realizing this and it can be pretty loud-it's not a bad thing but understand that when dining out it can disturb others while they eat-most people are very tolerant of others but you will meet some that are having a bad day to begin with or some that are selfish.
cdaigle430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
gbalski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry about them. They're simply ignorant. I've seen them all and still we go to restaurants and enjoy ourselves. You got to have thick skins. One time I got up to leave the restaurant and walked over to the "offending" table and said, "I feel sorry for you" and then smile.
gbalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
lex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i remember i went to this school trip to some place i cant remmeber but i do rememing somone was signing to me and then this hearing person came up to my teacher and said *they been talking about me....and said rude things about me* and i was like i was talking to my mate here and how can we tlk about you as we dont know you.. i get a few like that just take no noices of them.....i have been told we are lucky we can sign as some hearing people wish they could like under water,....in a noisey place
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
NEWIDME

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I was with you, I'da made sure each and every person in the resturant knew what a holes those people are.
NEWIDME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 01:22 AM   #12
August

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if 8 year olds commonly associate deafness with retardedness, the school system drastically needs to rework its approach to physiology education in elementary school.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 01:40 AM   #13
yagazn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaigle430 View Post
Don't worry about those kind of people, their not the kind of idiots you want to hang around anyway. Alot of times they make fun or pun of HOH or deaf or blind or whatever else just because they are insecure about themselves, if not then they are just plain ugly people with ugly personalities-who cares what they think anyway.
Sometimes when you asl, deaf people also make noises like grunting noises without realizing this and it can be pretty loud-it's not a bad thing but understand that when dining out it can disturb others while they eat-most people are very tolerant of others but you will meet some that are having a bad day to begin with or some that are selfish.
I know...yes that's true...
Attached Images
File Type: gif eyeflash.gif (11.0 KB, 316 views)
Unread 05-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #14
deafbajagal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just met deaf guy the other day who was a complete jerk. And I thought to myself, now that's what I call deaf and dumbass!
deafbajagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
Miss-Delectable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafbajagal View Post
I just met deaf guy the other day who was a complete jerk. And I thought to myself, now that's what I call deaf and dumbass!
Unread 05-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #16
yagazn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWIDME View Post

If I was with you, I'da made sure each and every person in the resturant knew what a holes those people are.
Thanks, that was nice of you.
Unread 05-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #17
yagazn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalski View Post
Don't worry about them. They're simply ignorant. I've seen them all and still we go to restaurants and enjoy ourselves. You got to have thick skins. One time I got up to leave the restaurant and walked over to the "offending" table and said, "I feel sorry for you" and then smile.
Thanks
Unread 05-23-2008, 12:35 AM   #18
moonflower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you not alone they are being dumbasses

i hate that rude remark deaf and dumb when deafies CAN do anything hearies can except hear

i go like DUHIES i can do this i am not dumb like what you think.
moonflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #19
lilylover72
I love purple!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband and I went to resturant one time. the lady told her group what we were talking about. My husband said " why f---- you tell your group what we say?" I was puzzled because i thought he was talking to me but I realized that he was signing to a lady. I saw her and she was so embrassed. Oh well
lilylover72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #20
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 214 Times in 122 Posts
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeYag2CAL View Post
I know...Well, some stupid ignorant 'hearing' people still use the word, "deaf and dumb". Pass it to other hearing who learn about "deaf and dumb". I guess they can't help it. maybe make them feel better. But I don't like word "dumb". Why word "dumb" because deaf can't talk but wait a min, deaf can talk with sign doesn't mean "dumb" (HELLO!, that's how I figured it out).
I really hate that word too. It makes me very angry.
Unread 05-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #21
yagazn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
I really hate that word too. It makes me very angry.
I know, some hearing still using word "deaf and dumb". some hearing either older and young 'Bully' made fun of Ddeaf/Hhoh and behind yelled and made a funny noise like animal, Ddeaf can't hear nothing but I heard clear with my HAs. I've been there and seen it.
(Bad experience). Also at restaurant too. (Oh, boy).

You know what? Let it go. Some hearing just can't help it. I have some hearing "Bully" did that to me when I was a kid and teenager too. One day, they realize it's bad or what they did was bad or wrong. And Karma (my other topic).

I understand you really hate that word they used. And it upset you. Me too. Like I said, some hearing just can't help it. Let them be.
Unread 05-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #22
Kalista
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my hearing sons were over heard other table. Teenager kids were making of us when we sign language. My sons approached them, do you have any problem with my Deaf mother? Isn't ASL bother you? Teenage kids gulped, they did not realize my sons are not Deaf.

Afterward, they respect us.
Unread 05-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #23
yagazn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalista View Post
my hearing sons were over heard other table. Teenager kids were making of us when we sign language. My sons approached them, do you have any problem with my Deaf mother? Isn't ASL bother you? Teenage kids gulped, they did not realize my sons are not Deaf.

Afterward, they respect us.
I met a lady who had the experience just like yours. She's Deaf mom and her hearing daughter who heard it too. Oh, boy!.
Unread 05-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #24
soph51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those hearing people that makes or does insulting things or remarks like that are hearie ignorants......
soph51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #25
ApoGee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ApoGee
All of these experiences is coming from a resteraunt. Do you go to the same resteraunt? Lol. But nah they shouldn't never done that. Sorry you had to experience this. It happens to most of the kids whom have disability of hearing. Being bullied throughout school years and out of school. Some people think just because we have a thing called 'disability' you can do whatever you want to them. It's like we're not humans but aliens being put on earth to be tormented by the opposing kind.
Unread 05-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #26
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 214 Times in 122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoGee View Post
All of these experiences is coming from a resteraunt. Do you go to the same resteraunt? Lol. But nah they shouldn't never done that. Sorry you had to experience this. It happens to most of the kids whom have disability of hearing. Being bullied throughout school years and out of school. Some people think just because we have a thing called 'disability' you can do whatever you want to them. It's like we're not humans but aliens being put on earth to be tormented by the opposing kind.
I agree with that, so much!
Unread 05-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #27
im_shelby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats ridiculous. im hearing, & i completely agree with you.

i have friends at my school, IN my asl class, & they still think that people who are deaf are like, unable to do things any other human being can do.

im not trying to look like the hero or anything, but it really makes me mad when my friends think that just because you are deaf or hard of hearing you cant do other things.

one of my hearing friends has said to me ''oh, they're deaf, they cant talk''. as in, the term ''deaf mute''.

hearing people really need to be taught that these phrases & others like them are NOT ONLY incorrect, but rude!

i hope that by continuing learning asl & becoming more involved in the deaf community i can educate some of those people such as the ones you saw at the restaurant.

i apologize for them.
im_shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #28
overthepond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at recycling bank (recycling the wine bottles!) not long ago, A man in his mid 50's, Normal respectable type, he said "hello", Of course i didn't hear him, then i looked at him, his mouth were moving saying "are you foregin"... I said nope. Oh right he said then said "Where were you born?". I am bred and born Londoner. He looked puzzled.... I said I speak like this because i am deaf... he looked shocked... "but i thought all deafs are dumbs" then he said "I apologise it must be very difficult for you to go deaf" proceeding to say "So what happened to you that made you go deaf" (i was expecting this question anyway!).... I said "i WAS born deaf".... he was shuttering "BU Bu BUT how can you speak if you can't hear" I said " I have common sense" then I left him with his mouth open...
overthepond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #29
Pepsi
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthepond View Post
I was at recycling bank (recycling the wine bottles!) not long ago, A man in his mid 50's, Normal respectable type, he said "hello", Of course i didn't hear him, then i looked at him, his mouth were moving saying "are you foregin"... I said nope. Oh right he said then said "Where were you born?". I am bred and born Londoner. He looked puzzled.... I said I speak like this because i am deaf... he looked shocked... "but i thought all deafs are dumbs" then he said "I apologise it must be very difficult for you to go deaf" proceeding to say "So what happened to you that made you go deaf" (i was expecting this question anyway!).... I said "i WAS born deaf".... he was shuttering "BU Bu BUT how can you speak if you can't hear" I said " I have common sense" then I left him with his mouth open...
Been there.
Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #30
Jolie77
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think just about every (if not all) deaf person has been through this scenario encountering an ignorant person who thinks we're deaf and dumb. I've been through this more than once.

It used to peeve me off when I was younger and I'd get angry at them when they're passing a snide remark. Of course, the anger didn't help one iota.

So, now these days, I've took it to a different approach. For instance, when I am at a restaurant with a deaf friend, signing away in ASL and when they're mocking or staring at us in an offensive manner - This is when I smile and say "Hello, How's it going?". That usually puts them in a confused state. It's quite funny seeing their facial expression when they're about to expect a reaction but it isn't the one that they're expecting.
Jolie77 is offline   Reply With Quote