AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 03-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
Holly

Stupid question...difference between deaf and Deaf?

that may seem like a stupid question but I have to find out. is deaf with a lower case "d" hoh? or something else? what do both of these mean?
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Miss-Delectable

I will try my best to explain. Others are welcome to correct me.

D-eaf is a person who identifies themself as culturally deaf, who uses sign language.....and does not see deafness as a disability whatsoever.

d-eaf is a person who has very little or no connection to the deaf culture and regards deafness as a disability.
Unread 03-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss-Delectable View Post

D-eaf is a person who identifies themself as culturally deaf, who uses sign language.....and does not see deafness as a disability whatsoever.

d-eaf is a person who has very little or no connection to the deaf culture and regards deafness as a disability.
That was clear and straightforwarded. Very easy to understand without too much confusing info!

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Holly

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
That was clear and straightforwarded. Very easy to understand without too much confusing info!
thanks guys!
Unread 03-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
authentic

I am Deaf
Unread 03-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
Quote:

If that is the case, then why do Deaf (yes, the big 'D') people get SSDI? If that's the case, then should they really have the right to consider themselves "Deaf"?
Unread 03-21-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
It's not a stupid question.

Besides, the word "deaf" is loosely translated from many perspective.

In the deaf world, the difference between Deaf and deaf is Deaf Culture. People who say they are Deaf (with big 'D') are those who strongly follow Deaf Culture. People who say they are deaf (with little 'd') are those who don't follow Deaf Culture.

For me, I'm simply... deaf (with little 'd').

As for "hard-of-hearing", that's also something that depends on who's using the word.

If you have the ability to hear very well (with hearing aids) and speak orally well, then you could call yourself "hard-of-hearing" when you're describing yourself to other deaf people.

However, if you were in a government office... they would look at "hard-of-hearing" as something used by old people who have lost part of their hearing due to age. That's why they usually use "hearing impaired" instead.
Unread 03-21-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
Chase
Premium Member

I agree no question is stupid . . . though sometimes I scratch my head over answers.

The capital D spelling of deaf has no proper place in U.S. publications, except at the beginning of a sentence or if it's someone's name.

All other uses of deaf as a proper noun are personal affectations, which all people are free to do without rhyme or reason. It's what makes languages so fun and keeps me employed. I love it.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 01:11 AM   #9
lovezebras

i am hard of hearing but could i also say i'm deaf or is it Deaf or neither because i care and follow deaf culture?
lovezebras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Matilda
Boxing Kangaroo "Jack"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VamPyroX View Post
It's not a stupid question.

Besides, the word "deaf" is loosely translated from many perspective.

In the deaf world, the difference between Deaf and deaf is Deaf Culture. People who say they are Deaf (with big 'D') are those who strongly follow Deaf Culture. People who say they are deaf (with little 'd') are those who don't follow Deaf Culture.

For me, I'm simply... deaf (with little 'd').

As for "hard-of-hearing", that's also something that depends on who's using the word.

If you have the ability to hear very well (with hearing aids) and speak orally well, then you could call yourself "hard-of-hearing" when you're describing yourself to other deaf people.

However, if you were in a government office... they would look at "hard-of-hearing" as something used by old people who have lost part of their hearing due to age. That's why they usually use "hearing impaired" instead.

Vampy - you have made it very simple in your explanation and now I understand .... thank you.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
laughing-Carrot

Quote:

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I see myself as culturally deaf, but do not use sign-language (because I have a cochlear implant), do not have any connection to the deaf community- simply because I live in a relatively remote area. I also accept that I have a disability (otherwise i'd be lying if I said 'no' to the 'do you have a disability?' question that so commonly pops up in generic registration forms nowdays), but it does not detract from the fact that I do not see myself as disabled.

So what category do I fall under?
laughing-Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #12
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing-Carrot View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I see myself as culturally deaf, but do not use sign-language (because I have a cochlear implant), do not have any connection to the deaf culture- simply because I live in a relatively remote area. I also accept that I have a disability (otherwise i'd be lying if I said 'no' to the 'do you have a disability?' question that so commonly pops up in generic registration forms nowdays), but it does not detract from the fact that I do not see myself as disabled.

So what category do I fall under?
You would fall under the category "deaf"

I was "deaf" growing up cuz I didnt know any sign language nor interacted with the Deaf community. Since learning ASL 10 years ago, I am much more actively involved in the Deaf community so I consider myself "Deaf" now.

--- Anonymous
Unread 03-22-2008, 12:17 AM   #13
lovezebras

wat about me? lol
Unread 03-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #14
Boult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
that may seem like a stupid question but I have to find out. is deaf with a lower case "d" hoh? or something else? what do both of these mean?
just take a look at this one;
deaf - Definitions from Dictionary.com
Quote:
I find that when I'm channel surfing, Fox News is like that carton of milk way past its expiration date, taunting you from the back of the refrigerator. You KNOW it's gonna smell, but still you open it up and take a whiff. by: bc68251 on February 21, 2006
Boult is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #15
Pepsi
Premium Member

The deaf call me hard of hearing, The hearing call me deaf. I don't know asl that well.I am a lip reader and oral and I need to wear hearing aids. So I don't know what I fall under.
Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #16
lovezebras

me either pepsiwoman lol i am hoh but some call me deaf too (hearies) i speak perfect i'm learning asl i read lips too tho...i dont tell everyone that tho...like to just in case i kno if ppl are tkn sneaky lol i cant hear whispering..but i can see it sometimes! lol
Unread 03-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #17
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Vampy - you have made it very simple in your explanation and now I understand .... thank you.
You're welcome.
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #18
Holly

Thanks everyone!
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #19
DragonYoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilitalia89 View Post
me either pepsiwoman lol i am hoh but some call me deaf too (hearies) i speak perfect i'm learning asl i read lips too tho...i dont tell everyone that tho...like to just in case i kno if ppl are tkn sneaky lol i cant hear whispering..but i can see it sometimes! lol
It's all about perspective. If you feel affiliated with the culture, then you are Deaf. If not, then you are deaf. Sometimes that backfires - it does go both ways. To be truly part of any culture, one has to be accepted as well. And how do you like learning ASL so far? If you know Spanish (or Italian), you'll find many similaries in the syntax. Just have fun!
Unread 04-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #20
Holly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonYoga View Post
It's all about perspective. If you feel affiliated with the culture, then you are Deaf. If not, then you are deaf. Sometimes that backfires - it does go both ways. To be truly part of any culture, one has to be accepted as well. And how do you like learning ASL so far? If you know Spanish (or Italian), you'll find many similaries in the syntax. Just have fun!
yeah, I am really enjoying it. Unfortunately I don't know any other languages. I took spanish in high school but don't remember most of it!
Unread 04-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #21
DragonYoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
yeah, I am really enjoying it. Unfortunately I don't know any other languages. I took spanish in high school but don't remember most of it!
Do you remember basically how the Spanish language usually ordered their words for proper syntax? Just use that for a guideline.
Unread 04-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #22
Holly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonYoga View Post
Do you remember basically how the Spanish language usually ordered their words for proper syntax? Just use that for a guideline.
Yes, I do remember that, it does help!
Unread 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #23
DragonYoga

Whoohoo!!!
Unread 04-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #24
lovezebras

lol ok so i am an hoh/deaf person! lol..cuz i try to be around deaf culture as much as i can! but i am not deaf when it comes to what i can hear..or not hear to be exact lol...

I am slowly learning, i'm teaching myself so it's hard to always go and look at the book i got cuz i have lots of assignments and exams rite now...but i like it so far!! the only one i'm having trouble finding is "you're welcome" ...maybe im just not looking for it properly lol...

I speak italian, spanish, and french haha lol but i don't get what u mean by syntax?...
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #25
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Quote:

interesting... I just thought of something funny. An obese person says - "I am Fat" and a skinny blondie says - "I'm fat." maybe some of you don't find this humorous but it does to me.
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #26
Holly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiro123 View Post
interesting... I just thought of something funny. An obese person says - "I am Fat" and a skinny blondie says - "I'm fat." maybe some of you don't find this humorous but it does to me.
Maybe I should start a trend...Fat means you are culturally obese and fat means you are overweight but don't necessarily identify with the culture of "Fatness"...haha

(i am Fat by the way)
Unread 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #27
Chase
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilitalia89 View Post
I speak italian, spanish, and french haha lol but i don't get what u mean by syntax?...
Syntax is the order of words in a phrase or sentence that makes the best grammatical sense for that language.

Just my humble English teacher's opinion, but we spend way too much time worrying over meanings of deaf and Deaf when for U.S. publications, the capital only makes sense at the beginning of a sentence or for a proper noun. Capitalizing a word not a proper noun conveys no meaning of extra respect at all. There's no Hearing and Sighted and Gifted-with-Scent . . . so there's no Blind or Deaf or Can't-Smell-a-Thing.

No wonder there are so many answers and explanations . . . it's really just everyone's quixotic opinion, not much more.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #28
Holly

good point chase!
Unread 04-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #29
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Syntax is the order of words in a phrase or sentence that makes the best grammatical sense for that language.

Just my humble English teacher's opinion, but we spend way too much time worrying over meanings of deaf and Deaf when for U.S. publications, the capital only makes sense at the beginning of a sentence or for a proper noun. Capitalizing a word not a proper noun conveys no meaning of extra respect at all. There's no Hearing and Sighted and Gifted-with-Scent . . . so there's no Blind or Deaf or Can't-Smell-a-Thing.

No wonder there are so many answers and explanations . . . it's really just everyone's quixotic opinion, not much more.

Right..I dont dwell on the whole Deaf and deaf issue. Some peope do and I dunno why.

--- Anonymous
Unread 04-24-2008, 05:43 AM   #30
dWrite

Personally, "deaf" is a term that is used when describing a diagnosis or disability.

"Deaf" is a term that is used when one identifies themself with the Deaf or refers to the Deaf.
dWrite is offline   Reply With Quote