AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Movies, Books, TV & Media
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
AquaBlue

What Books Have You Recently Purchased?

Tell us what books (fiction or non-fiction) you have just purchased. If you want to share a review or two on your read books, go right ahead. This is the book corner of AD. Welcome!
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
AquaBlue

I just came back from the Goodwill Store and purchased a couple of good books for a few pennies:
  • Three Junes by Julia Glass
  • The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Unread 02-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
AquaBlue

A Review:

You know when you first crack open an unread novel for the first time- preparing yourself for a journey that might excite or disappoint you? Well yesterday I began reading Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day and after a few pages I knew...I just knew that this one was going to be, not just good, but great. His prose carries me along like a cloud on a trip to somewhere. All I know now, as I begin this Ishiguro journey, is the ride will be worth the price of the ticket. I like the book already!

Unread 02-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
AquaBlue

I own this book but I had to get a new one because I wore out the old one- the pages were turning brown and they (some) were falling out. The bad news is that in the old book I had notes written on the margins. So I will use the new one and refer to the old one (notes) when I need to do so. This is the book:

In June of this year, the same author will release a bigger and more intense version of an unabridged dictionary (note image below). I called Barnes & Nobles today and reserved a copy for myself.

I am really getting into this ASL (American Sign Language) thing big time; and I am progressing very, very well too.
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
lumbingmi

I have no choice but to buy textbooks for my classes They re so expensive LOL.

Aside from school, I brought Ben Bova's 'Saturn" last month and haven't time to read it. heh.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.
lumbingmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
AquaBlue

This Buds for you lumbingmi.
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
lumbingmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaBlue View Post
This Buds for you lumbingmi.
Oh crap! I should had brought textbooks at that website. Thanks for head up

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.
lumbingmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
restless_heart

Send a message via AIM to restless_heart Send a message via MSN to restless_heart
Hey if you want to talk about books. You have to go to Creative writing thread.

I have purchased too many books lately. Most are the lastest books of Iris johensen, Patricia Cornwell, Karin Slaughter, Stephen King, etc...

You are addict to books too? Welcome to the club heh.
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
restless_heart

Send a message via AIM to restless_heart Send a message via MSN to restless_heart
Quote:
A Review:

You know when you first crack open an unread novel for the first time- preparing yourself for a journey that might excite or disappoint you? Well yesterday I began reading Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day and after a few pages I knew...I just knew that this one was going to be, not just good, but great. His prose carries me along like a cloud on a trip to somewhere. All I know now, as I begin this Ishiguro journey, is the ride will be worth the price of the ticket. I like the book already!

http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/bookcovers/remains.jpg
Well the beginning of the story is always boring...so I would say my most favorite part is the middle and the ending of the story in any novels. Sometimes the beginning are quite interesting. I have never heard of any books you have post lately...except for that sign langauge books. Do you ever read most popular author's books? Like Dean Koontz or Stephen King for one? I know that already you do not like Stephen King's Cell hahaha....
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
AquaBlue

Which Stephen King book(s)? When I was a younger reader (no offense) I was into King big-time...the Dark Tower series was incredible!

Unread 02-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
restless_heart

The towers are great too. I have them all. Remember I got the orignials. And I kept buying new one (up to date because I like the book cover hahaha...)My most fav is Secret Window. I watch the movie too many times. I love Johnny Depp thou.
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
AquaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by restless_heart View Post
The towers are great too. I have them all. Remember I got the orignials. And I kept buying new one (up to date because I like the book cover hahaha...)My most fav is Secret Window. I watch the movie too many times. I love Johnny Depp thou.
You have the originals? Did I read that right?? If so, you must take a snapshot or two and post them here on this thread.

Do you agree that Cell is the worse novel ever!? You know which of his novel (from way back) I recall most? It's an unheralded one. This one:

Unread 02-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Rio
Patriots Rock!

Send a message via Skype™ to Rio
Quote:
I just came back from the Goodwill Store and purchased a couple of good books for a few pennies:
  • Three Junes by Julia Glass
  • The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/06...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
I am a big fan of F. Scott Fitzgerald, his writings are so classy

Ps.103:12 He washes our sins away into the ocean
Brady's back

Proverbs 17:9
Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends
Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
AquaBlue

Yep. He's a contemporary of Hemingway- one of my most loved writers. The other two are Steinbeck, Capote.

Unread 02-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #15
Rio
Patriots Rock!

Quote:
Yep. He's a contemporary of Hemingway- one of my most loved writers. The other two are Steinbeck, Capote.

http://www.malaspina.com/jpg/fitzgeraldf.jpg
I like that pic of him very handsome

Brady's back

Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
restless_heart

Very rare to get these orginials. Haha my mother had them but when she had to sell the house, she had no choice. She said I can have a few paperbacks. Yes, you can say I am lucky. She is the same age as Stephin King. If I find the time to get them out of my shed and to scan it, I will. (I rather have hardcovers here than paperbacks. So my paperbacks are buried in the shed. I have TOO many!!!) I have his first book thru Duma Key. That is how many I have. Some I have two of each because one is the orginail and other is maybe ten years old or newer. If you have Duma Key, go see how many books he got. That is how many I have.

Besides fiction I love Walt Whitman and others. Other Classics like Charles Dickons, etc... I have the orginal poets' books also. Very, very old and I would say fraigle. Haha...Way, way back in 1800's. It is in my antique bookcase with glass door. Now you can see I am an addict to books.
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:47 PM   #17
Rio
Patriots Rock!

Quote:
Very rare to get these orginials. Haha my mother had them but when she had to sell the house, she had no choice. She said I can have a few paperbacks. Yes, you can say I am lucky. She is the same age as Stephin King. If I find the time to get them out of my shed and to scan it, I will. (I rather have hardcovers here than paperbacks. So my paperbacks are buried in the shed. I have TOO many!!!) I have his first book thru Duma Key. That is how many I have. Some I have two of each because one is the orginail and other is maybe ten years old or newer. If you have Duma Key, go see how many books he got. That is how many I have.

Besides fiction I love Walt Whitman and others. Other Classics like Charles Dickons, etc... I have the orginal poets' books also. Very, very old and I would say fraigle. Haha...Way, way back in 1800's. It is in my antique bookcase with glass door. Now you can see I am an addict to books.
Restless_heart that's soo cool you have Fritzgerald originals those are worth a lot of money. That's awesome! I would love to see it hehe

Brady's back

Unread 02-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #18
restless_heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanblue7 View Post
Restless_heart that's soo cool you have Fritzgerald originals those are worth a lot of money. That's awesome! I would love to see it hehe
No picture thou. The book covers are in leather hide. Almost velvet. I love the feel of it hahaha....The pages are very, very yellowish or brownish. Must be with care bec it could come apart easily. That I can take photos of it bec these books are in my hallway.
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #19
KarissaMann05
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to KarissaMann05 Send a message via MSN to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Yahoo to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Skype™ to KarissaMann05
I brought some books:

- "Scribbles of Dreams"
- "Third Child"
- "Poppy"

They are pretty old but I still like them.

I also make my own novel, too. I'm still working on that.

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!
Let's swim with merfolks for some fun!

Psst, I do love cougars. *runs away*
KarissaMann05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
restless_heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann_K05 View Post
I brought some books:

- "Scribbles of Dreams"
- "Third Child"
- "Poppy"

They are pretty old but I still like them.

I also make my own novel, too. I'm still working on that.
Never heard of the books. Who writes them?

How many have you written so far? me five complete and four not complete. Working on two uncomplete little at a time. I try 500 to 1,000 words at a time. Maybe more if I get lucky.
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
GarnetTigerMom

Ah, I have so many good books, and even my college text books as well. I got so many books it like a libarary here lol. So I got new books called 1. Obesessions can be murder by Connie Shelton, 2. White Out by Vicki Delany and 3. The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam. I do love to read Stephen Kings and so many good authors. I prefer to read the book before they show the movie. Reading the books is more depth then the movies. It also help me fall alseep when I read a book.

GarnetTigerMom

"The rain may be falling hard outside,
But your smile makes it all alright.
I'm so glad that you're my friend.
I know our friendship will never end."
-- Robert Alan
GarnetTigerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #22
KarissaMann05
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to KarissaMann05 Send a message via MSN to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Yahoo to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Skype™ to KarissaMann05
Quote:
Never heard of the books. Who writes them?

How many have you written so far? me five complete and four not complete. Working on two uncomplete little at a time. I try 500 to 1,000 words at a time. Maybe more if I get lucky.
- "Scribbles of Dreams" by Pearson (I don't remmy author's first name but her last name)
- "Third Child" (I dont remmy who wrote this, sorry)
- "Poppy" by Brian Floca

Scribbles of Dreams is a slight similar to Romane and Juliet story, but it's more dramatic and a bit of crueler than the Romane & Juliet story we know. It's not really a lot of emotion of love, my opinion.

Third Child -- It's pretty much similar to China's limit popularity if you know what I am talking about. A boy must to protect himself from being discovered as an illegally third child. It's very sad story... I love it.

Poppy -- It's actually for children but I still like it. A mouse girl tried to save her people from a great owl. Nothing speical, actually. ^_^

AS for my own novel, I have more 1,300 pages and almost have 100 chapters right now. I still need to revise, re-write, and etc etc blah.

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!

Unread 02-23-2008, 11:36 PM   #23
restless_heart

Quote:
- "Scribbles of Dreams" by Pearson (I don't remmy author's first name but her last name)
- "Third Child" (I dont remmy who wrote this, sorry)
- "Poppy" by Brian Floca

Scribbles of Dreams is a slight similar to Romane and Juliet story, but it's more dramatic and a bit of crueler than the Romane & Juliet story we know. It's not really a lot of emotion of love, my opinion.

Third Child -- It's pretty much similar to China's limit popularity if you know what I am talking about. A boy must to protect himself from being discovered as an illegally third child. It's very sad story... I love it.

Poppy -- It's actually for children but I still like it. A mouse girl tried to save her people from a great owl. Nothing speical, actually. ^_^

AS for my own novel, I have more 1,300 pages and almost have 100 chapters right now. I still need to revise, re-write, and etc etc blah.
Poppy sounds cute. Maybe I should get one for the kids lol.

Whoa!!! 1,300 pages? 100 chapters. Normally I do up to 600 pages with maybe 27 to 34 chapters in one novel. Wow. Your book is gonna be sooooo thick hahaha... Are you gonna divide them?
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #24
KarissaMann05
Premium Member

Quote:
Poppy sounds cute. Maybe I should get one for the kids lol.

Whoa!!! 1,300 pages? 100 chapters. Normally I do up to 600 pages with maybe 27 to 34 chapters in one novel. Wow. Your book is gonna be sooooo thick hahaha... Are you gonna divide them?
Yes, I will divide my novel book since it's quiet a lot of pages. It's going to have two books and a few mini hidden novel books for the third book.

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!

Unread 02-23-2008, 11:47 PM   #25
GarnetTigerMom

Red face

Quote:
Yes, I will divide my novel book since it's quiet a lot of pages. It's going to have two books and a few mini hidden novel books for the third book.
I do have lot of Charles Dickerson Novels and Elizabeth Barrent Browning are good. But I love to read "wethering Heights" is one of my fave book that I read over and over so many times. That book got a speical place in my heart.

GarnetTigerMom

-- Robert Alan
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #26
restless_heart

Quote:
like mini series. That is what I did with my first four series for young audience. But I am planning to make them into 80,000 words instead of 40,000. So revision and rewrite...it never ends there, life goes on haha...
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #27
KarissaMann05
Premium Member

Quote:
like mini series. That is what I did with my first four series for young audience. But I am planning to make them into 80,000 words instead of 40,000. So revision and rewrite...it never ends there, life goes on haha...
Wow. You did great job with that. I'm exciting to read yours!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetTigerMom View Post
I do have lot of Charles Dickerson Novels and Elizabeth Barrent Browning are good. But I love to read "wethering Heights" is one of my fave book that I read over and over so many times. That book got a speical place in my heart.

Oh, that. I do read a several times, now you make me want to read it again! Aha! I do, too, like them.

To correct: "Yes, I will divide my novel book since it's quiet a lot of pages. It's going to have two books and a few mini hidden chapters for the third book."

My mistake. >_<

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!

Unread 02-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #28
GarnetTigerMom

Red face

Quote:
Wow. You did great job with that. I'm exciting to read yours!!

Oh, that. I do read a several times, now you make me want to read it again! Aha! I do, too, like them.

To correct: "Yes, I will divide my novel book since it's quiet a lot of pages. It's going to have two books and a few mini hidden chapters for the third book."

My mistake. >_<

that s okay, u are entitles to make mistakes like I do, ha. I do have lot of old
Antiques books that passed down to my family members now I have it. It sure look nice with my house deconrations. ha.

GarnetTigerMom

-- Robert Alan
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #29
Phillips
Lets ride horses!

Two days ago... I got book about Annie Duke

Will start to read it tonight or this week after finish college homework

My journal!
http://poochie21.blogspot.com/

***Enjoy life today, Yesterday has past and Tomorrow may never come.***
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #30
moonflower

restless_heart and Aquablue,
i am book addict as well hehe

i recently brought subterranean by James Rollins i am in the halfway into the book hehe, as well i am reading Mysterious by Nora Roberts i can read 2-3 books a time. i know it is nuts ha.
moonflower is offline   Reply With Quote