AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Deaf Education
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 02-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
blonde1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drivers License

Hi. I am in an ASL class at my school and we are doing a project. My topic is, "how do deaf people get their license?" I was hoping someone could give me information on how they get their license, if there are any extra test they have to take, if they have to have something saying they are deaf on ther license. All I would like to know is what is the process for deaf people to get their license. Thanks for your help.
blonde1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
deafbajagal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got mine in the same manner as hearing people got theirs. If they made me take an extra test - I would have SUED them for discrimination!!!!!
deafbajagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Banjo
Expelled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde1 View Post
Hi. I am in an ASL class at my school and we are doing a project. My topic is, "how do deaf people get their license?" I was hoping someone could give me information on how they get their license, if there are any extra test they have to take, if they have to have something saying they are deaf on ther license. All I would like to know is what is the process for deaf people to get their license. Thanks for your help.
We go through the same process as the hearing people do. No extra bureaucracy or anything.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
JClarke
AD Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I follow as the other AD'ers just said. I get treated as the other hearies - take the standard test and take the driving test. No problem.
Alldeaf.com Official Meet II - date updated!
Follow the world with JClarke blog

Last edited by JClarke; 02-20-2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar error.
JClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
LadySekhmet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to mainstream High School. Anyone who was 15 or older take the Driver's Ed class. We take our tests after the classes. When we pass, then on our 16th birthday, we go out to get our permit. One year of driving, blah blah, then the driver's license test. I took it the same manner as a hearing person. I did not have an interpreter, did not have anything. Which was okay because I could speak for myself. If only I had a bigger car, the lady that tested me was um...very very large. My whole little car tilted!

Anyways.....There's really no difference in my opinion on how we take the test. The only neat thing is we get a nice small sticker on our driver's license with an ear and a slash over it (you know the symbol for deaf). That's it.

There's no discrimination for deaf drivers. :-)

LEFT: Implanted: 1/10/08
Activated: 2/1/08 Freedom

RIGHT: Implanted: 5/15/08
Activated: 6/13/08 Freedom

http://cyborgqueen.blogspot.com
LadySekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
JClarke
AD Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySekhmet View Post
I went to mainstream High School. Anyone who was 15 or older take the Driver's Ed class. We take our tests after the classes. When we pass, then on our 16th birthday, we go out to get our permit. One year of driving, blah blah, then the driver's license test. I took it the same manner as a hearing person. I did not have an interpreter, did not have anything. Which was okay because I could speak for myself. If only I had a bigger car, the lady that tested me was um...very very large. My whole little car tilted!

Anyways.....There's really no difference in my opinion on how we take the test. The only neat thing is we get a nice small sticker on our driver's license with an ear and a slash over it (you know the symbol for deaf). That's it.

In bold above, down here in Australia, we don't get these, and we should! We keep telling the cops that we are deaf so they are aware of it. Maybe, I should just make a petition then! That idea would have saved our time. Our licences are the same as hearing people hold
Unread 02-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
Silentwolfdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have that symbol on my license. But I am required to have mirrors on both sides of the vehicle as it is stated on my license because of my deafness.

Most vehicle nowadays have it on both sides instead of just one. So it's no problem.

Other than that, it's same as hearing people.
Silentwolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
blonde1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you have an interpreter, do they sit in the passanger seat?
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:02 AM   #9
JClarke
AD Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For me, it is not necessary, as long the person who monitor the tests knows how to communicate with the deaf personnell. For example, mine was easy as the man knew how to communicate as he has experiences in the past -- he used hand signals and writes stuff on special paper, similar to a whiteboard. Easy as!
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #10
blonde1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you Jclarke. That helped me a lot.
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #11
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
There was nothing different for me. I did it the same way as every hearing people did it. I got a 100% on my driving test.
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #12
JClarke
AD Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde1 View Post
thank you Jclarke. That helped me a lot.
No problem - o. Glad to help
Unread 02-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #13
LadySekhmet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VamPyroX View Post
There was nothing different for me. I did it the same way as every hearing people did it. I got a 100% on my driving test.
I failed the parallel parking section. Did I fail because I'm deaf?

Disclaimer: this is meant to be a joke. I failed it because I did not practice. A NYer would be an expert, I'm from Jersey, so I didn't get many chances of doing a parallel parking...I still suck at this. :-)

LEFT: Implanted: 1/10/08
Activated: 2/1/08 Freedom

RIGHT: Implanted: 5/15/08
Activated: 6/13/08 Freedom

http://cyborgqueen.blogspot.com
LadySekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #14
JClarke
AD Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:

Disclaimer: this is meant to be a joke. I failed it because I did not practice. A NYer would be an expert, I'm from Jersey, so I didn't get many chances of doing a parallel parking...I still suck at this. :-)
Hint: Use the mirror and practise makes perfect
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #15
Chase
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blonde,

In Montana and Oregon, USA, there are no test difference for the standard driving license; however, as SilentWolfDog stated, printed in the restriction section of my license is that any vehicle I drive must have outside mirrors.

As of 2002, for completely deaf drivers like me, we cannot get a chauffeur's (commercial) license (even though I had a CDL for over three decades). I had to get special permits to drive big bee trucks within the state.

All of the above restrictions are bogus audist descrimination.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Tousi

Liked 82 Times in 55 Posts
It used to be that, in some States, the only thing that was different for deaf drivers was the requirement to have rear view mirrors. Today's automobiles all have those mirrors.
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #17
sleepytaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like some, I took a driver Ed class in High school when I was at least 15 1/2 years old. I took the standard written tests... in Wisconsin, we had two different tests: one for reading signs... which everybody has to pass that test 100% before you can take a written test. After passing that written test, you can progress to get a permit... the same as hearing person progress. Some take test by the computer. I did road test thru gestures and hand signals... no need for an interpreter to be there... they're just in the way! In Wisconsin, we were taught, both hearing and deafs to use ALL THREE MIRRORS! (I saw that in Pennsylvania, I don't think they teach that, haha.)

For some other deaf people, who has some trouble with standard test progress, they take a group test with an interpreter to interpret the questions. We have a deaf teacher who teaches deaf adults in Philadelphia driver education. So, it really varies, depending on the level a deaf/hoh person is at.

Although, for me, I took the standard progress as any other person would. My driver license says nothing except that I needs correction lense for driving. Thats all. (that applies to my Pennsylvania license.) For my Wisconsin license, I only recall having correction lense as well, I believe. I guess it would vary from state to state on how it is put on deaf license?
sleepytaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
Roadrunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tousi
..Today's automobiles all have those mirrors.

..umm...not necessarily 'all' have those mirrors--see below.

(yea, I just had to do it...)

~RR
Unread 02-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #19
Chase
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More on the mirror thing . . .

I was backing a bee truck and trailer unit out of a California orchard last January when an almond branch snapped into my mirror and broke it. Part of my seven years of bad luck was contending with CHiPs.

I had the farmer's wife call CDOT and ask if I could drive my truck to the Ford dealership in Stockton to fix it. They said since I was deaf, if my truck was caught on the road without the required mirror in place, I would be ticketed and the truck would be wheel-locked until the mirror was fixed.

But I was thinking too literally, and the farmer's wife taped her compact mirror on the bracket, and I drove to Stockton with a clear (and silent) conscience.

Clever lady.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #20
Secretblend

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I was 14 years old when I took my permit test and drivers test. Later on when I was right age, I drove to my drivers class at high school. Even had a motorcycle license when I was 15 and rode my motorcycle to drivers class!
Joy of being a teenager!
Secretblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #21
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
Quote:

Don't worry. Parallel Parking is one of the hardest parts in driving. You're not the only one.
Unread 02-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #22
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 333 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
...But I was thinking too literally, and the farmer's wife taped her compact mirror on the bracket, and I drove to Stockton with a clear (and silent) conscience.

Clever lady.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #23
Bebonang

Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:

I have a driver's license which on the back said I have lens or glasses, but when I saw on the last comment with an ear and a slash over it(the symbol for deaf). I think that is a great idea to have that symbol for the deaf put in the back of the driver's license. It is also good idea to put the symbol on the monitor in the police car to let them know that we are deaf before approaching us to our cars. It is much safer and easily not misunderstand if we are not responding to police officers. No, it is not a discrimination, because that way it will help the hearing people who don't know about our deafness and how to communicate. I think we need to have a petition or just go to the police station or motor vehicle place and ask if they can have a symbol for the deaf on the back of the card. for bring that up on the comment you make on the last comment. Good work that you do have one while everyone of us don't have one.
Bebonang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #24
Tousi

Liked 82 Times in 55 Posts
I got mine at K-Mart.
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #25
JClarke
AD Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
K-mart!?
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #26
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafbajagal View Post
I got mine in the same manner as hearing people got theirs. If they made me take an extra test - I would have SUED them for discrimination!!!!!
Exactly. This would be a question to address to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. They are the ones that give the tests. And at the same time, you could ask them if they have terps and a TTY line available for the deaf.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #27
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Did you fail because you didn't hear it when you hit that car behind you?
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #28
JClarke
AD Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Did you fail because you didn't hear it when you hit that car behind you?
You were supposed to feel it
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #29
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclarke View Post
You were supposed to feel it
OOPS!
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #30
JClarke
AD Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Unlike a car accident, that I have experienced in 2005.