AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Auto Talk
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
GENERALGOOSEPAC
Registered User
 
GENERALGOOSEPAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 68
Post semi truck driver stories

HEY GUYS, I WANTED TO START THIS THREAD ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE WITH A SEMI TRUCK. SOME OF THOSE MIGHT BE FUNNY, SCARY, BUT ALL ARE TRUE STORIES.

ALMOST 2 YEAR AGO, I GOT A CDL license (commerical driver license). MY FIRST COMPANY I STARTED WITH WAS "YELLOW", I QUIT BECAUSE OF UNDERPAID. I GOT ANOTHER JOB AT DATS TRUCK COMPANY. I WASN'T HAPPY WITH THE TM (terminal manager) we wasn't communicating very well via emails. He expects me to use the CB radio.. I can hear depends how fast this person speaks.. I can't hear very fast talker, only hear slow talker...

I quited and got job with SAIA. I love this job until I moved to here (Montana) found out that the pay isn't the same as in Nevada, so today (Jan/11/08) will have an interview with Oak Harbor Freight Lines inc at 11:30am

Tomorrow, I will start with one of my favorite stories. Anyone of you who have a story related with semi truck driver. Please tell us!!!!!

I have a quick werid stories happened to me one time

Between Truckee or Lake Tahoe, California I was hauling a single city trailer on I-80 east. I fell asleep, about 40 miles later.. Woke up and noticed I am in Reno and I couldn't rememeber what I did. I looked at the trailer and everything.. Its seem alright.. My body was completely shaking. I arrived in yard and my TM let me go home and get some rest. That happened to me ONCE, never happen again!!!
GENERALGOOSEPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Angel
♥"Concrete Angel"♥
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 19,089
Wow, you're very lucky you made it home safe, Yike! Anyways, it nice to have a trucker on this forum!
__________________
"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is brought in our life, OR in the life of another." ~ Helen Keller
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
GENERALGOOSEPAC
Registered User
 
GENERALGOOSEPAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 68










http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/PDR_0783.jpg

GENERALGOOSEPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Chase
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,321
Beehives have to be moved to new locations at night. One night last summer, I was driving down Grand Gorge on I-84 with a flat-bed semi-load of beehives and suddenly my head jerked up. I had fallen asleep for a second (I hope.) I was still in my lane and going 50 MPH, but it scared me badly. I had only 75 miles to go, but I took the next offramp and slept two hours before continuing to Oregon City, still shaky for the experience.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Chase
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,321
Cool (maybe "cold," ha ha ha) photos, GG. Where were you?
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
GENERALGOOSEPAC
Registered User
 
GENERALGOOSEPAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 68
the photos was in Donner Summit in Nevada going on I-80 west.

another photos

[IMG][/IMG]
another guy passed me.. im going 55mph another truck probably goes 70 to 75 mph. scares the crap out of me heh windy that day

at the yard full of cabover linehauls and city trucks. all brand new 2007 and 2008 models (white cabover ) 2004 i think.
in Idaho, Pocatello 2-1/2 hrs drive from beaverhead to pocatello


my first truck (in dayton nevada)


volvo vnm 45* liftgate trailer

Last edited by GENERALGOOSEPAC; 01-11-2008 at 01:11 PM.
GENERALGOOSEPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
GENERALGOOSEPAC
Registered User
 
GENERALGOOSEPAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Cool (maybe "cold," ha ha ha) photos, GG. Where were you?
its was at Donner Pass, north california
GENERALGOOSEPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Roadrunner
Registered User
 
Roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 7,089
Awesome photos. Been through Donner Pass quite a few times and it was always at night time.

Indeed it's scary and puts any driver who falls asleep to (hopefully) do the right thing and that is to pull over...switch with co-driver or get rest before continuing on. Before my first actual longhaul road trip, co-driver mentioned if ever tired, pull over or switch. He continued to tell me that the last guy that rode with him happened to fall asleep at the wheel and awoke with a startle causing him to over correct the path of the truck back onto the highway which ended up flipping the semi to its side. Apparently and unfortunately, his arm shattered the driver's side window with a serious cut/gash, in effect, gangrene set in resulting amputation of his arm. Whether this was true or not, this story was enough to remind me anytime if I ever felt sleepy, I would be sure to pull over where it was safe to do so.


One other story--my buddy whom I went to truck school with, while he was out on a trip, solo driving to drop a load off somewhere in Chicago, he came to a 2 lane road that led to an underpass with overhead clearance too close to drive under, but he thought he could get through, sure enough, he got stuck at the point of entry beneath the underpass, causing something like two hours delay in traffic for both directions. He ended up backing the rig and taking forever to make a U-turn. Somewhere along the way, while pulled over, he went up to the top of the rig and pushed down the peeled top with his feet and applied duct tape. I asked him if he reported it...well, he didn't and got away with it. (He didn't even get any ticket either for the incident with the underpass)




~RR
__________________
"Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much." - Erastus Wiman
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
Babyblue
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Anyone heard about the I-4 pile up in Polk County. 20 semis and 50 cars piled up. Due to Heavy Fog. Truck drivers admitted drafting(tailgating) to save gas and it cause a pile up crash this happened two days ago.


Images Of Massive I-4 Pileup As Fog Clears In Polk County - Photos - WFTV Orlando

click on different pictures to see the scene.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Calvin
Moderator
 
Calvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 7,680
Cool Pictures.. I've drove on I-80 many times and the Donner is awesome view! (I'm not a truck driver lol just my vehicle) I've been on cross country several times and enjoyed it.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
Babyblue
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
It wasn't just the semis it was the cars also...people should know to slow down in heavy fog...Sad...
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Calvin
Moderator
 
Calvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 7,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
It wasn't just the semis it was the cars also...people should know to slow down in heavy fog...Sad...
Yeah but I'm referring to the pictures above
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
Babyblue
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Yeah but I'm referring to the pictures above
I understand that.

I was typing my post while you posted, so I did not see your post... til after I posted.

I was referring to my previous post
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #14
Calvin
Moderator
 
Calvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 7,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
I understand that.

I was typing my post while you posted, so I did not see your post... til after I posted.

I was referring to my previous post
Oooh got it now no problem
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #15
mizerey
Registered User
 
mizerey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 111
Send a message via Skype™ to mizerey
My dad drove truck for 20 years. I have a couple of funny or a bit stupid stories for ya. My dad was driving from NYC to Jersey on the expressway and their was a caddy weaving in and out of lanes like a moron. My dad felt a bump and thought it was a big pot hole and continued on his way. He was about a mile up the road when a semi going in the opposite direction told him to stop driving and stay where he was. He said "why?". The driver told him he had driven over the caddy and pushing it along. My dad said he had to stand up to see the caddy because he was driving a peterbuilt with a long nose. Dad said when the cops got there they ticketed the caddy driver and said "Don't you know you can't play chicken with a big rig?" I thought it was funny! He said it was a nightmare getting out of that "crazy" city.

Another story I have is when Dad and I were hauling a load to New Jersey and we were up in the Poconos. This little white Beetle kept speeding up and then slowing to a stop as we were going up the side of the mountain. The beetle was full of teenagers playing games with the truck. They knew full well that they were causing my father all sorts of trouble hauling a full load up the mountain. They continued doing this all the way up the mountain and tried to do it on the way down too. Well a fully loaded semi doesn't stop too quickly when going down hill. My dad hit the highway horn and shook his head no at the kids in the car. I think those kids made messes in their pants and took off like bats out of hell. My dad laughed the whole way down the mountain as the truck chased that little beetle. I don't think those kids will ever do that again!
__________________
--250 500 1000 2000 4000 6000 8000
L 40 50 50 50 45 70 80
R 50 60 60 65 80 110 105
mizerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #16
Babyblue
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
My Husband used to haul oranges to Bradenton, Florida. He told me a story one time that he had a huge load of oranges mounded on the trailer and he speed around a curve and leveled out the mound. Oranges flew out all over the roadside.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #17
Deaf Mater
Registered User
 
Deaf Mater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Winston Salem NC
Posts: 70
Ah.. Semi truck driver stories.. Hmm.. I recalled few but I can share one a time from time to time I will share other one ... I drove my rollback truck with a suv on bed as I stopped at intersection then saw the livestock truck passed by then I turned right into the lane then I started smell all turds odor my customer who rode with me with her suv on my truck bed she kept gave me a funny look and I kept wondered where dat smell come from I have no idea where it come from we choked with that smell for good 25 miles down then that livestock truck just turned right I saw that livestock OH I realized that it was livestock after all I kept smell all the way down the road I smell rear of that livestock truck geez ...real champ smell! my customer even admitted that she thought it was from me or my truck... geez haha
Deaf Mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #18
horselover61
Registered User
 
horselover61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,681
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Anyone heard about the I-4 pile up in Polk County. 20 semis and 50 cars piled up. Due to Heavy Fog. Truck drivers admitted drafting(tailgating) to save gas and it cause a pile up crash this happened two days ago.


Images Of Massive I-4 Pileup As Fog Clears In Polk County - Photos - WFTV Orlando

click on different pictures to see the scene.
Saw the photo and wondering about the ppl and how are they are doing?? I cant find the story related to this.
__________________
Check out my city!!


http://furbyland.myminicity.com/
horselover61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #19
horselover61
Registered User
 
horselover61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,681
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Mater View Post
Ah.. Semi truck driver stories.. Hmm.. I recalled few but I can share one a time from time to time I will share other one ... I drove my rollback truck with a suv on bed as I stopped at intersection then saw the livestock truck passed by then I turned right into the lane then I started smell all turds odor my customer who rode with me with her suv on my truck bed she kept gave me a funny look and I kept wondered where dat smell come from I have no idea where it come from we choked with that smell for good 25 miles down then that livestock truck just turned right I saw that livestock OH I realized that it was livestock after all I kept smell all the way down the road I smell rear of that livestock truck geez ...real champ smell! my customer even admitted that she thought it was from me or my truck... geez haha
__________________
Check out my city!!


http://furbyland.myminicity.com/
horselover61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #20
horselover61
Registered User
 
horselover61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,681
Blog Entries: 2
One day I was driving the middle lane as I always do and noticed the 2 trucker on each side of me. I was thinking ,"Man dont squash me!!" I didnt want to be like a sandwich. At that time I had 1985 Mazda 323.
__________________
Check out my city!!


http://furbyland.myminicity.com/
horselover61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #21
horselover61
Registered User
 
horselover61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,681
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERALGOOSEPAC View Post
the photos was in Donner Summit in Nevada going on I-80 west.

another photos

[IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...OOSEPAC/14.jpg[/IMG]
another guy passed me.. im going 55mph another truck probably goes 70 to 75 mph. scares the crap out of me heh windy that day
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...OOSEPAC/13.jpg
at the yard full of cabover linehauls and city trucks. all brand new 2007 and 2008 models (white cabover ) 2004 i think.
in Idaho, Pocatello 2-1/2 hrs drive from beaverhead to pocatello

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...OOSEPAC/12.jpg
my first truck (in dayton nevada)


volvo vnm 45* liftgate trailer

I have never seen 3 trailers at the same time mostly 2 trailers. Boy that look scary to me. Expecially when you tried to make a turn.
__________________
Check out my city!!


http://furbyland.myminicity.com/
horselover61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #22
Babyblue
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselover61 View Post
Saw the photo and wondering about the ppl and how are they are doing?? I cant find the story related to this.

MyFox Tampa Bay | Fatal pileup closes I-4 in Polk Click on the Video on this site and it will show you how thick the fog was and you can see the actual scene of the trucks on fire.

I-4 Open As Fog Stays Away | TheLedger.com

Maybe this will help.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #23
Deaf Mater
Registered User
 
Deaf Mater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Winston Salem NC
Posts: 70
wow..have this SAIA freight lines here in NC, Three trailers haul look cool! never see this triple haul here before but this triples are illegal here and at most east coast area but seen plenty doubles but would love to see how the triples turn out when making turns and back ups...
Deaf Mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #24
horselover61
Registered User
 
horselover61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,681
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
MyFox Tampa Bay | Fatal pileup closes I-4 in Polk Click on the Video on this site and it will show you how thick the fog was and you can see the actual scene of the trucks on fire.

I-4 Open As Fog Stays Away | TheLedger.com

Maybe this will help.
Thanks now I know that 4 ppl was killed and that is sad.
__________________
Check out my city!!


http://furbyland.myminicity.com/
horselover61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #25
authentic
Registered User
 
authentic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,979
Quote:
Between Truckee or Lake Tahoe, California I was hauling a single city trailer on I-80 east. I fell asleep, about 40 miles later.. Woke up and noticed I am in Reno and I couldn't rememeber what I did. I looked at the trailer and everything.. Its seem alright.. My body was completely shaking. I arrived in yard and my TM let me go home and get some rest. That happened to me ONCE, never happen again!!!
You slept while driving for 40 miles? I must be confusing.
__________________
authentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #26
GENERALGOOSEPAC
Registered User
 
GENERALGOOSEPAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Mater View Post
wow..have this SAIA freight lines here in NC, Three trailers haul look cool! never see this triple haul here before but this triples are illegal here and at most east coast area but seen plenty doubles but would love to see how the triples turn out when making turns and back ups...
Yeah, it was diffcult to get triples in the narrow road in the city. backing ups... its not that hard but at first, yes it was fricking hard then i gets used to it. watch how 2nd trailer turn opposite way then i got to go foward then go reverse to make the 2nd trailer go another oppoiste waythen the last trailer will turn on its own depends how i want where it should be parked at.

sometime, i dehatch the doubles trailer then parked it and went back to hookup the last trailer to backup to the dock.

yeah, i know triples looks badass hehe triples are legeal in some states
GENERALGOOSEPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #27
Calvin
Moderator
 
Calvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 7,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselover61 View Post
I have never seen 3 trailers at the same time mostly 2 trailers. Boy that look scary to me. Expecially when you tried to make a turn.
Yeah 3 trailers pull are common in the west. Only on flat straight interstate rural highway. Once at a truck stop near city, they have to drop one off and have other truck pick up the trailer and then proceed to destignation. They can pull not only 3 20' trailers but they also pull 2 50' trailers in the west as well.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #28
PePe LePew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 718
Generalgoosepac

My dad drove all kinds of big trucks included dump truck and loading truck and semi truck and I got to ride it all (laughing), its huge and big and I enjoy riding with my dad in all those big trucks, its fun but my dad complained it hurts his back turning a big steering wheel, I sure miss the huge views, so high up and very cool but poor dad and I miss riding all of those trucks I rode in, daddy retired!(laughing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERALGOOSEPAC View Post
HEY GUYS, I WANTED TO START THIS THREAD ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE WITH A SEMI TRUCK. SOME OF THOSE MIGHT BE FUNNY, SCARY, BUT ALL ARE TRUE STORIES.

ALMOST 2 YEAR AGO, I GOT A CDL license (commerical driver license). MY FIRST COMPANY I STARTED WITH WAS "YELLOW", I QUIT BECAUSE OF UNDERPAID. I GOT ANOTHER JOB AT DATS TRUCK COMPANY. I WASN'T HAPPY WITH THE TM (terminal manager) we wasn't communicating very well via emails. He expects me to use the CB radio.. I can hear depends how fast this person speaks.. I can't hear very fast talker, only hear slow talker...

I quited and got job with SAIA. I love this job until I moved to here (Montana) found out that the pay isn't the same as in Nevada, so today (Jan/11/08) will have an interview with Oak Harbor Freight Lines inc at 11:30am

Tomorrow, I will start with one of my favorite stories. Anyone of you who have a story related with semi truck driver. Please tell us!!!!!

I have a quick werid stories happened to me one time

Between Truckee or Lake Tahoe, California I was hauling a single city trailer on I-80 east. I fell asleep, about 40 miles later.. Woke up and noticed I am in Reno and I couldn't rememeber what I did. I looked at the trailer and everything.. Its seem alright.. My body was completely shaking. I arrived in yard and my TM let me go home and get some rest. That happened to me ONCE, never happen again!!!
PePe LePew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #29
~SG~
Super Moderator
 
~SG~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 6,987
Neat photos ya took...

The Donner Summit: Beautiful snow around it, I miss the snow covered trees, roads etc.
~SG~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 06:22 AM   #30
Calvin
Moderator
 
Calvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 7,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Mater View Post
wow..have this SAIA freight lines here in NC, Three trailers haul look cool! never see this triple haul here before but this triples are illegal here and at most east coast area but seen plenty doubles but would love to see how the triples turn out when making turns and back ups...
Yeah here is the link on which states permit LCV (Longer Combination Vehicles). This can't be seen in most East Coast except Turnpikes. Hauling LCV is dangerous and is risky on the road and is hard on the road.

Source: Vehicle Technologies Program: Fact #411: February 13, 2006 States that Allow Longer Combination Vehicles
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.