AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 09-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
funny_guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to funny_guy
Red face Just wondering, what is the suitable jobs for deaf hearing impaired??

Hi deaf guys, and normal hearing people as well.

I know this has been long time I didn't get very active in Net, but I'm wondering if there are anyone would mind to share the truth or suggestions about the right jobs for the deaf that does not rely too much on communication.

I'm Asian, currently second year as undergraduate student in Multimedia program. I'd thought doing Multimedia would be fine as it may doesn't involve too much communication with people but I'm not sure though. I've realised that communicating with normal people or people who really prefer fast talks is becoming the concern, and even using English is quite difficult (It's my second language)

So if anyone have worked in jobs can you please kindly share your thoughts?

Moved to Our World, Our Culture
Moderator naisho

Last edited by naisho; 12-27-2011 at 10:55 AM.
funny_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
highlands
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work at a hospital and it sucks since I am hoh Hospitals are not for hoh/deaf.
highlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Moon-child

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well. I am wondering the same question, I am just doing up my resume this week and will go find some part time work to help supplement my income. I think I will go back to the field of working for the mentally handicapped, people within this field seem to be adaptable to my needs. I am hoping to do just a few hours a week, perhaps doing respite for medically fragile and mentally handicapped infants or something like this. I used to be a manager for a group home and have also done proprietary care - that is where a severely handicapped person lived with me and my family. Good luck to you in your job search!
Moon-child is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
RedheadGrrl
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny guy, Question for you. Are Deaf people normal? You said "Normal hearing people"

Sorry off point!!
RedheadGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 06:19 AM   #5
funny_guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to funny_guy
redheadgrrl, in response to your question: I'm deaf hearing impaired.

anyway thanks guys for sharing!
funny_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 04:11 AM   #6
Lust2636

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Lust2636 Send a message via Yahoo to Lust2636
Jobs

There is no right or wrong job for people... Its what you fit into, and if you love your job thats all the more better.
You might be great at multimedia projects, but lack communication skills... Hire an agent. they make the contracts and you and the customer both agree to the project and timeline... as long as the project is done, as written, the contract is ful-filled.
If the client wants to fix, correct, change something, they must tell you in writing... if its written and both people agree to it, there is much less mis-communications. The customer is less likely to say... "well what about..." because all YOU say (or write) is "Well you didnt ask for that when we agreed to the contract. If you want i can do it now for $$$"
The agent gets a precent of the job...
Some people immerse themselves in programing jobs, webmaster stuff...
take a few steps back, and ask yourself, what do you LOVE to do, and how can it make you money?

Im a hearing, Radio/Media Engineer... (Some areas call it a host, or a presenter, but i also do the technical aspects) I play with video games, (stand up arcade/DDR machines) cause i love to solve problems - why isnt it working? Soo i get paid for doing something i like, and the arcades is a hobby...

-Paulie
Lust2636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Hwy99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything that use sign language or don't have to talk.
Hwy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
mydeafnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well

Well I know that with companies like west at home they have jobs where people do live chat for instance when you go to a site that has chat with live support. companies hire people from west at home and other site that have work at home. but that is still communicating with people but if you can type it may work... otherwise dun no!!! good luck
mydeafnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
Cheri
Prayers for my dad.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want a job with less relying on communication then work at a factory, or housekeeping department, or be a stock person, or work at a warehouse. There's many jobs you could search with less communication on the job.
Avoid being a victim of a stroke, a stroke can happen to anyone at anytime. You will never know how devastating this could be until you had live through it. It affects everybody. So Support Stroke Awareness to find a cure and hope.
Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funny_guy View Post

I know this has been long time I didn't get very active in Net, but I'm wondering if there are anyone would mind to share the truth or suggestions about the right jobs for the deaf that does not rely too much on communication.

I'm Asian, currently second year as undergraduate student in Multimedia program. I'd thought doing Multimedia would be fine as it may doesn't involve too much communication with people but I'm not sure though. I've realised that communicating with normal people or people who really prefer fast talks is becoming the concern, and even using English is quite difficult (It's my second language)

Multimedia would be fine for a deaf person. In the cases where communication with non-signing hearies is mandatory, simply request that your employer provide you with a terp, or if you have difficulty using a terp, use other accommodations such as text communication.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Bebonang

Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
I used to work as a Keypunch operator and Verifier long time ago. Now we have computer and I want to work in the office just do the typing like being a office clerk. It take time to find a job like that without communication and don't need phone. I just want to work as a typist so that should pay well for me. I might be old but never too late to work again. I hope you find the job you really like and not have to worry about communicating with hearing workers too much otherwise you need to write down on pad to communicate with hearing workers. Good luck.
Bebonang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Chase
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My older sister, deaf since birth, retired after 25 years as a keypunch then computer operator for Wells Fargo in San Francisco.

I could make do with hearing aids most of the 25 years I taught high school and college, but during the last years at MSU-Northern, I taught only in computer classrooms.

For a few years after going totally deaf, I worked as a beekeeper in Montana, but could only drive commercial vehicles within a hundred-mile radius.

The apiary owner transferred me to Oregon where I can operate commercial vehicles anywhere in Oregon by special agriculture permit, but when driving in California, I'm limited to driving smaller "non-commercial" vehicles.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Buffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funny_guy View Post

Multimedia can be good. You can always send emails to your co-workers but be aware that some co-workers might not answer your emails right away. The problem is the meetings. If the meeting is less than 2 hours, they might not want to hire an interpreter. The organization that send out interpreter has a policy of two or more hours and if it is less than the two hours, then the pay is for two full hours. If I was a company, I won't want to pay two hours for a meeting that is half hour or an hour but I really do feel between a rock and a hard place when it comes to meetings. Maybe your local organization have different policy than mine.

Best of luck in finding a dream job.

“The problem is not that the (deaf) students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen. “- Rev Jesse L. Jackson ( American Civil Rights Activist, Minister)
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
Gemma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlands View Post
I work at a hospital and it sucks since I am hoh Hospitals are not for hoh/deaf.
Can you tell me why? I am a professional in a health care setting so am curious to know why you feel that hospitals are not for hard of hearing and deaf.
Gemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #15
Gemma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuyoPiyo View Post
Anything that use sign language or don't have to talk.
I need to disagree here respectfully. Why limit yourself to this kind of thinking?
Gemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
Buffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
I need to disagree here respectfully. Why limit yourself to this kind of thinking?
It is easier on the deaf person that way.

“The problem is not that the (deaf) students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen. “- Rev Jesse L. Jackson ( American Civil Rights Activist, Minister)
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #17
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 103 Times in 63 Posts
Check out Viable company. It is a new company targeted to serve Deaf and HOH people and they have a location in Rockville, MD. They have 5 or so job openings.

Viable.net Homepage

I am going to inquire about a summer job there. They just opened a new headquarters in Baltimore, according to the grapevine in the Deaf community.

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #18
Phillips
Lets ride horses!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadGrrl View Post
Funny guy, Question for you. Are Deaf people normal? You said "Normal hearing people"

Sorry off point!!
Huh!!??

Sorry off point too!!

My journal!
http://poochie21.blogspot.com/

***Enjoy life today, Yesterday has past and Tomorrow may never come.***
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #19
Buffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips View Post
Huh!!??

Sorry off point too!!
I can understand Redhairgrrl's question. It sounds like that funny_guy thinks deaf people are "abnormal" as in opposite of "normal" hearing people.

Unread 01-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #20
omegaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi FunnyFella

Well, I think if you are passionate about multimedia, then you should pursue your dream. Don't give up your chosen field yet.

I think all professional jobs have some form of communication. However, I think that if you have talent in the multimedia, then a prospective employer will likely hire you regardless of hearing impairment. I guess it depends who you work for, and what your duties involves - like all jobs.

Someone mentioned that perhaps you should work in a factory or warehouse, which is fine. Except, you probably will not feel happy working in an area that you do not enjoy.

If I were in your situation, I would continue studies in multimedia. Incidentally, I almost enrolled for a multimedia course two years ago, except I chose to study business, which involves too much communication..

Good luck!
omegaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 04:01 AM   #21
omegaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
I can understand Redhairgrrl's question. It sounds like that funny_guy thinks deaf people are "abnormal" as in opposite of "normal" hearing people.
I am sure he did not mean to offend. English is not his native language.
omegaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #22
steph9700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to steph9700
I just came from the Alabama department of rehabilitation services, (every state has one) and they did tests on me both mentally and hearing and they came up with the idea of clinical laboratory technician, like solving cases by doing forensics, sampling and testing substances both human and otherwise and requires minimal interaction with others. I start classes this fall.
"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No, there isn't," said Pooh humbly, “But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way." -From Winnie the Pooh
steph9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #23
DeafCapricorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DeafCapricorn Send a message via MSN to DeafCapricorn Send a message via Yahoo to DeafCapricorn
I will be attending school for Social Work.... I may get my masters and work as a counselor either for special needs children/families or the deaf.

I'm also considering getting my CDI licensure.
DeafCapricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #24
steph9700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to steph9700
You could also work from home doing data entry....... just a thought.
"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No, there isn't," said Pooh humbly, “But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way." -From Winnie the Pooh
steph9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #25
highlands
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Can you tell me why? I am a professional in a health care setting so am curious to know why you feel that hospitals are not for hard of hearing and deaf.
It's cuz communication is based on speech at my hospital. They simply ignore my disability in most cases.
highlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #26
Buffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I am sure he did not mean to offend. English is not his native language.
I am sure he didn't meant to offend anyone. He is not the first I have heard using the word 'normal' for hearing people. I just see that he is trying to come up with a right word.

Unread 01-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #27
ZiggyBoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I am sure he didn't meant to offend anyone. He is not the first I have heard using the word 'normal' for hearing people. I just see that he is trying to come up with a right word.
He is right about "Normal", some of us are not normal maybe unique in some ways lol
ZiggyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #28
moveright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to moveright
I would have to agree about Viable. We do interviews for our business using their "vision" product. It is AWESOME. we use our webcam and computer instead of VP. Works really well and they seem like a great company to work for. We have a few people we are in contact with who work there I think. Also, HOVRS.com

not sure what either of these companies pay but the people we come in contact with seem to like these companies.

Hope that helps.
moveright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #29
Hwy99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Well this quote of mine was through my experience with 4 different jobs in my lifetime.

Let me tell you about my experience, I worked as disheswasher at Burger King, then as a carrier for The Columbian newspapers around Vancouver, Washington, and then I worked at Timber Fox Trader as cashier with my parents who own the business, and then lastly as a janitor in Portland, Oregon.

So I am going ask myself, which is the worst job I ever worked? Why?

I would say it's the cashier at Timber Fox Trader. That is the worst position I ever worked, even though it was my parent's business, because I am really tired of writing all the times, holding the calcuator and paper/pen with me all the times while I was walking around behind the counter, I was kept trying to convience my parents to put me in different position that does not have to talk so it would be easier for me and other customers so that they don't have to deal with my disablitity problem, but my parents don't have much other position for me to work except for cashier. The customers who I helped were often being rude to me or acting snob against me because I asked them to write on the paper, or sometimes they would just talk and expect me to understand eveything what they said.

Also it is kinda annoying when my parents ask me to help working at their store. Working at that store, dealing with the hearing customers is just a put-down feelings for me..

But I don't feel that way with other 3 jobs, carrier, disheswasher, or janitor. While I was working as newspaper carrier, all I do is just go picking up the newspaper and put in my car, then driving around the residents throwing the newspaper on their porch or driveways or in the box, then I am off to home. No communication required that much at that job.

When I working as disheswasher, all I do is just washing the dishes, sometimes if things get slow down, I just go washing the tables around the resturant and stocking the sodas, straws, etc. The manager doesn't really have much thing to talk with me so no communication required that much at that job.

When I worked as janitor, I just cleaning dozens of classrooms and then mopping the hallways, locking the building and I am off to home. No communication required much at that job.

See the difference if I was working in any position that don't have to talk that much are more easier for me AND to the customers too. There is pentlifully jobs available that does not have to talk that much.

Quote:
It is easier on the deaf person that way.
Exactly..
Hwy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #30
Buffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuyoPiyo View Post
Well this quote of mine was through my experience with 4 different jobs in my lifetime.

Let me tell you about my experience, I worked as disheswasher at Burger King, then as a carrier for The Columbian newspapers around Vancouver, Washington, and then I worked at Timber Fox Trader as cashier with my parents who own the business, and then lastly as a janitor in Portland, Oregon.

So I am going ask myself, which is the worst job I ever worked? Why?

I would say it's the cashier at Timber Fox Trader. That is the worst position I ever worked, even though it was my parent's business, because I am really tired of writing all the times, holding the calcuator and paper/pen with me all the times while I was walking around behind the counter, I was kept trying to convience my parents to put me in different position that does not have to talk so it would be easier for me and other customers so that they don't have to deal with my disablitity problem, but my parents don't have much other position for me to work except for cashier. The customers who I helped were often being rude to me or acting snob against me because I asked them to write on the paper, or sometimes they would just talk and expect me to understand eveything what they said.

Also it is kinda annoying when my parents ask me to help working at their store. Working at that store, dealing with the hearing customers is just a put-down feelings for me..

But I don't feel that way with other 3 jobs, carrier, disheswasher, or janitor. While I was working as newspaper carrier, all I do is just go picking up the newspaper and put in my car, then driving around the residents throwing the newspaper on their porch or driveways or in the box, then I am off to home. No communication required that much at that job.

When I working as disheswasher, all I do is just washing the dishes, sometimes if things get slow down, I just go washing the tables around the resturant and stocking the sodas, straws, etc. The manager doesn't really have much thing to talk with me so no communication required that much at that job.

When I worked as janitor, I just cleaning dozens of classrooms and then mopping the hallways, locking the building and I am off to home. No communication required much at that job.

See the difference if I was working in any position that don't have to talk that much are more easier for me AND to the customers too. There is pentlifully jobs available that does not have to talk that much.

Exactly..
Yes, those menial jobs are easier for the deaf person as no need for any communication. The trouble is those menial jobs are very low paying jobs, very unfullfilled and no promotions. That's why I went for computer programming. I worked with computers all day and only need to talk to other people to make sure I understand what the program needs to be doing. It is not menial and it doesn't required much talking.