AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
neecy
Registered User
 
neecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 1,411
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CI Moments

I was thinking - and Deafmama's post about her CI moment spurred me into action - I think we need a discussion topic here (maybe one of the mods would sticky it?) where we all can post our CI moments - sometimes something neat will happen to us during our days/weeks but its so small it doesn't warrant an entire new topic on its own - kind of like the one I shared on Deafmama's post about hearing my antivirus notify me of an update through the speakers of my computer - even something that simple can bring a smile to your face when you realize that "I actually HEARD that!!!" I'd never start a new topic about that itself, but I'd definitely post about it on a topic dedicated to the CI moments we have.

With so many people here with CI's, getting CI's and having children with CI's, I think its time we had a topic going where we can share the good moments we have experienced with each other!!! Lets keep this one positive...With all the negativity we see around here sometimes, it would be nice to have a "feel good" subject to visit and re-visit!!
__________________
Friends are angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 07-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
neecy,

I think that's a great idea!

How about if I start off with a few CI moments I had last week?

1. I'm taking private voice lessons (I've been taking them for the past 2 1/2 years) and was able to learn the melody and lyrics of a difficult vocal piece by listening. Even though I could do this with one CI, it's much easier with two. I've also found that it's easier to judge my intonation and pitch with two CIs compared to one. Soon my instructor and I will be working on a vocal piece in Italian. I can't wait! I'm also planning to take private lessons in piano and violin this fall. It should be exciting!

2. I'm currently going through my entire music collection (500+ CDs, 300+ cassettes and 100+ LPs/45s). For the first time in 11 years, I could *really* hear and enjoy many of my favorite songs. In some cases, what I heard literally brought tears to my eyes.

3. I continue to enjoy and marvel at the beautiful sounds of birds singing. There are several parkways near my home and in one particular area, there are always several birds chirping at once. I always love to stop here during my walk and listen for several minutes. One day, a neighbor came outside to ask if I was lost at which time I smiled and told her about my CIs. She asked several questions about my CIs and told me although she heard of CIs, she never met anyone who had one.

Last edited by Hear Again; 07-02-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
neecy
Registered User
 
neecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 1,411
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alex - thank you for stickying this topic!

I hope more people will share their CI moments!!!
__________________
Friends are angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
DeafSCUBA98
Registered User
 
DeafSCUBA98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: land of 10,000 lakes and living by one of them
Posts: 4,646
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DeafSCUBA98
everyday i enjoy listen to sparrows singing, tweeting, outside it just gives me relaxing when i live out of metro area where there's no traffic noise.. but sometimes the train noise bothers me.

have been implanted for over 2 years.. and still learning
__________________


Nucleus Freedom 04/18/05
activiated 05/16/05
DeafSCUBA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
deafskeptic
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A recent CI moment was when I over heard a phone converstation from about 20 feet away. I could hear the person speaking into the phone and even understand what she was saying.

I used to say that if I had normal hearing, I'd eavedrop on every converastion. I decided to tune her out to give her some privacy. I should note here that my hearing isn't normal just a lot better than it was in the past.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
jackiesolorzano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,012
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecy View Post
I was thinking - and Deafmama's post about her CI moment spurred me into action - I think we need a discussion topic here (maybe one of the mods would sticky it?) where we all can post our CI moments - sometimes something neat will happen to us during our days/weeks but its so small it doesn't warrant an entire new topic on its own - kind of like the one I shared on Deafmama's post about hearing my antivirus notify me of an update through the speakers of my computer - even something that simple can bring a smile to your face when you realize that "I actually HEARD that!!!" I'd never start a new topic about that itself, but I'd definitely post about it on a topic dedicated to the CI moments we have.

With so many people here with CI's, getting CI's and having children with CI's, I think its time we had a topic going where we can share the good moments we have experienced with each other!!! Lets keep this one positive...With all the negativity we see around here sometimes, it would be nice to have a "feel good" subject to visit and re-visit!!
My son was implanted at the age of 3. He was a late starter. He didn't really start talking until 5 and hasn't stop since.
Once when he was 8 years he was talking and talking and I just wanted quiet. So I told please could you just please be quiet for 5 minutes. He turned around said no mommey. Remember you wanted me talk you work really hard for me talk and now I have too much to tell you so I am sorry cannot be quiet remember it is what you want and want I am giving you
jackiesolorzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
jackiesolorzano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,012
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecy View Post
Alex - thank you for stickying this topic!

I hope more people will share their CI moments!!!
My daughter has always worn a hearing aide on one side and then gor implant on the other side when she was 10. One day about 2 months after being turn on she was standing at the door. She said mom what is that noise. I look and saw the birds in tree. I pointed to her and told her it is birds. She WOW mom I never heard them with me hearing aids.
Another time we are at the beach. We live California we are sun worshippers. After getting her implant, we are at beach, she said was is tha noise. I told her it was the waves. She said Oh My God that sounds so cool mom
jackiesolorzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
deafmama78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere in the US.
Posts: 419
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome idea, Neecy! This is exactly what I wanted.
__________________
-DeafMama78
Implanted [right ear]: May 17, 2007 w/ Freedom!
Activated: June 21, 2007 & lovin' it!

Implanted [left ear]: May 8th, 2008 w/ Freedom!
Activation: May 28th, 2008

Offically a bilateral CI'er!
deafmama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
deafmama78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere in the US.
Posts: 419
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus, another good reason to have this thread - is for those of us that keeps a blog about our CI journey. Maybe one day we're so busy that we just didn't blog about it and could easily come here and post those CI moments we want to share. We could look back later and see what we wrote eariler and add that to our own blogs. So this is exactly why I'm all for this thread!!!
__________________
-DeafMama78
Implanted [right ear]: May 17, 2007 w/ Freedom!
Activated: June 21, 2007 & lovin' it!

Implanted [left ear]: May 8th, 2008 w/ Freedom!
Activation: May 28th, 2008

Offically a bilateral CI'er!
deafmama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 03:09 AM   #10
LakeTahoe
Registered User
 
LakeTahoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lost somewhere in the outer space!! Help me to find my way back home to earth!!
Posts: 14,234
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I had the implant and I've been listening to some sounds. One is very annoying is HEATER! OMG! It drive me nut! LOL! Now I got used to it.

I love the sound of birds singing! So cute! And the crow or sea gulls are so mean and so loud! When I was babysitting, I can hear the birds from inside the house! I was like WHOA! I am not sure what kind of birds...or it could be a squirrels. I am not sure which one that made so much noises!

Last night we went to see the fireworks...I took CI with me. It was AWESOME sound! I loved it! I smiled most of the time! The loud noise from the fireworks didn't bother me at all! I loved the sound of it!

And I love to hear the puppies whine or so soft bark! Too cute! I'll miss them when they go to a new home in few weeks!

I am not sure what else. There are too many but I didn't write it down which I should have ha!

I noticed something...when I get sick, I refused wear CI till I feel better, then go back on CI. Does it happen to you?
__________________
LakeTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
DevBaby
Registered User
 
DevBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTahoe View Post
Since I had the implant and I've been listening to some sounds. One is very annoying is HEATER! OMG! It drive me nut! LOL! Now I got used to it.

I love the sound of birds singing! So cute! And the crow or sea gulls are so mean and so loud! When I was babysitting, I can hear the birds from inside the house! I was like WHOA! I am not sure what kind of birds...or it could be a squirrels. I am not sure which one that made so much noises!

Last night we went to see the fireworks...I took CI with me. It was AWESOME sound! I loved it! I smiled most of the time! The loud noise from the fireworks didn't bother me at all! I loved the sound of it!

And I love to hear the puppies whine or so soft bark! Too cute! I'll miss them when they go to a new home in few weeks!

I am not sure what else. There are too many but I didn't write it down which I should have ha!

I noticed something...when I get sick, I refused wear CI till I feel better, then go back on CI. Does it happen to you?
I do that all the time... when I am sick I don't wear my CI. I wasn't in mood to hear anything.. So you are not the only one who does that.

Anyway...

Last Saturday I went to the park to see a friend that I haven't seen for 3 years since he was in a navy in Japan.. Well.. I could understand him when we had a lot of converstation...I didn't once say 'what?' He even told me my voice is getting a lot better. B4 when I didnt had CI, I couldn't understand him that much.. Just a little bit..
So that's one of my Ci moment.
I go back for more mapping on July 17th... I need some more louder sounds hehe.
__________________


Nucleus Freedom - Left Ear
Implanted 01/25/07
Activated 02/26/07
DevBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #12
deafmama78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere in the US.
Posts: 419
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jackiesolorzano: That's so freakin' cute when your son told you that.
__________________
-DeafMama78
Implanted [right ear]: May 17, 2007 w/ Freedom!
Activated: June 21, 2007 & lovin' it!

Implanted [left ear]: May 8th, 2008 w/ Freedom!
Activation: May 28th, 2008

Offically a bilateral CI'er!
deafmama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:48 PM   #13
deafmama78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere in the US.
Posts: 419
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jackiesolorzano: That's so cool that your daughter was able to hear the birds & waves!!! Awesome!
__________________
-DeafMama78
Implanted [right ear]: May 17, 2007 w/ Freedom!
Activated: June 21, 2007 & lovin' it!

Implanted [left ear]: May 8th, 2008 w/ Freedom!
Activation: May 28th, 2008

Offically a bilateral CI'er!
deafmama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
neecy
Registered User
 
neecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 1,411
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tear-jerking type CI moment happened today - my 1 1/2 year old niece came up behind me, wrapped her arms around my neck, and said "Auntie Neece I love you." Its amazing how hearing something like that can totally make your day!!!!
__________________
Friends are angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
Cloggy
Registered User
 
Cloggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,711
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a moment to frame....

I updated Lotte's blog today, and finally put some video on it.
Some "CI-moments" of Lotte... A bit old, but they are great.

There's video of her singing the same song (actually, 2 different songs), one after 13, and after 15 months with CI

Go here


Enjoy!
__________________
.
The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.
. . . Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 - 1951)

Information about . . . . . . . . .
Lotte Sofie . . . . . . . . . How the ear works . . . . . . . . . Parents info . . . . . . . . . Nonsense/ Myths about CI here or here.
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #16
deafskeptic
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a CI moment today. I was able to make out a few words in a song on the radio that I was listening today. I'm also starting to be able to know which company is adveristing which products on the radio.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #17
Cloggy
Registered User
 
Cloggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,711
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
I had a CI moment today. I was able to make out a few words in a song on the radio that I was listening today. I'm also starting to be able to know which company is adveristing which products on the radio.
WOW

I guess commercials can be really valuable to you. Message is repeated frequently so there's lots of opportunity to learn....
__________________
.
The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.
. . . Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 - 1951)

Information about . . . . . . . . .
Lotte Sofie . . . . . . . . . How the ear works . . . . . . . . . Parents info . . . . . . . . . Nonsense/ Myths about CI here or here.
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #18
deafskeptic
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha ha, I'm prolly the only person in the USA who actually listens to commericals just so I can make out words.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #19
ashleysmommy
Registered User
 
ashleysmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ashleysmommy Send a message via Yahoo to ashleysmommy
Ashley had a moment last week. She has started to repeat a few sounds. When she hears the duck go quack quack she will say back ah ah ah. She will growl too sometimes. It is so cute. We are getting there. We go tomorrow to talk about going bilateral. Congrats to everyone on their moments.
__________________
Smile ! It adds to your face value



Right Side MED-EL Pulsar March 05, 2007
Activated April 05, 2007 with Tempo +
Left Side MED-EL Sonata February 13, 2008
Activated March 12, 2008 with Opus 1
Upgraded to Opus 2 both sides December 29, 2008
ashleysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #20
Tousi
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17,144
Likes: 42
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Ha ha, I'm prolly the only person in the USA who actually listens to commericals just so I can make out words.
That's cool; tell me something.....if you know...when the radio show switches over to a commercial, is the volume increased without you doing anything?
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #21
R2D2
Registered User
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,605
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Ha ha, I'm prolly the only person in the USA who actually listens to commericals just so I can make out words.
You are an advertiser's dream!
__________________


Left ear implanted 9th June 2006 Activated 29th June 2006
Right ear implanted 31st August 2007 Activated 18th September Both Nucleus Freedom


Cochlear implant myths
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #22
LuciaDisturbed
Registered User
 
LuciaDisturbed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 7,733
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleysmommy View Post
Ashley had a moment last week. She has started to repeat a few sounds. When she hears the duck go quack quack she will say back ah ah ah. She will growl too sometimes. It is so cute. We are getting there. We go tomorrow to talk about going bilateral. Congrats to everyone on their moments.
Awesome!!! And the new pics of Ashley in your avatar and signature are so cute!!!
__________________


"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - Philosopher George Santayana.



Implanted left ear 10/11/06, activated 10/16/06 - Nucleus Freedom


My own CI experience, my views on CI and ASL and Deaf Culture and Society


DeviantArt
LuciaDisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #23
deafmama78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere in the US.
Posts: 419
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CI moment today! I was using the nail clipper to cut my nails & I could hear it with the CI. I took off the CI and couldn't hear me clipping nails again so I put the CI back on and could hear it again. Amazing! I am also noticing that I can hear music better, I mean I heard it before all my life with HA"s but it's so much better! And I notice that at night, if there's a TV on in another room, I can hear the TV being on and it annoys me. LOL! Before with just HA's I could barely hear that it's on so I wouldn't have given a crap if it was on or off. lol. All this and my CI volume is at a 0!!! And there's more but too many to list. lol.

I don't know if I told yall but I emailed my Dr. thanking him for doing such a wonderful job & letting him know that I am loving my CI. :] He emailed me back, thanking me & telling me that it made him feel so good, doing the work he does makes it so worth his time. He loves his job! :]

I go back to the hospital on 8/2 for the next map. Oh crap. That reminds me, I gotta call the hospital and see if I can get in a day or a week sooner cause I'm supposed to be going up north with my girls, sis in law, niece, friend, and her kids. Yup, 3 adults, 5 kids, and 2 babies all in one cottage. lol.

Hope yall are doing well!
__________________
-DeafMama78
Implanted [right ear]: May 17, 2007 w/ Freedom!
Activated: June 21, 2007 & lovin' it!

Implanted [left ear]: May 8th, 2008 w/ Freedom!
Activation: May 28th, 2008

Offically a bilateral CI'er!
deafmama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 12:36 AM   #24
deafskeptic
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a recent CI moment. I heard beeps when I parked my car and it didn't sound like the parking brake and I realized that I was hearing the warning sound of me leaving the lights on. I have a really bad habit of leaving lights on. I turned off the light. Glad I don't have to jump start my car in the morning. *Phew!*
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #25
deafmama78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere in the US.
Posts: 419
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deafskeptic: lol. I have done that myself a few times. Whoopsie!
Glad you can hear it!
__________________
-DeafMama78
Implanted [right ear]: May 17, 2007 w/ Freedom!
Activated: June 21, 2007 & lovin' it!

Implanted [left ear]: May 8th, 2008 w/ Freedom!
Activation: May 28th, 2008

Offically a bilateral CI'er!
deafmama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #26
Hear Again
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
deafmama,

I can relate to your CI moment about being able to hear the TV in another room. I can still remember my utter surprise and amazement at being able to hear my stereo playing from another room. I was in my bedroom listening to a favorite CD when I walked to the kitchen to get something to drink. As I walked through my apartment, I began to notice that the music sounded softer the closer I got to the kitchen and louder the closer I got to the bedroom. Being able to hear that completely surprised me because I can't remember the last time I was able to hear that with or without HAs.

I know exactly what you mean about being able to hear music better. Even at 2 1/2 years post activation of my first CI, music continues to improve for me. When I wore HAs, I could hear music (drum beats and loud male vocals), but now thanks to my CIs, I'm able to appreciate all of the different layers of music -- harmony, melody, lead vocals, background vocals, instrumentals, intonation, pitch, etc. It's wonderful and not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for my ability to hear and appreciate music again.
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 08:18 AM   #27
Rollover
Registered User
 
Rollover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 353
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Rollover
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Ha ha, I'm prolly the only person in the USA who actually listens to commericals just so I can make out words.

I have been paying close attention since I got the two digital aids. Im so surprised that I can understand parts of the commercials.
Rollover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #28
Raykat
Registered User
 
Raykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 277
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Raykat
This thread is absolutely wonderful........after all the doom and gloom regarding CI on other threads, I havent been implanted, yet, still on waiting list. But this really gives me something to look forward to, especially with the music as the audie told me that they are not programmed for music so it wont make any difference.
__________________
I'd rather be deaf than brain dead

www.pindrop.org.nz
Raykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #29
neecy
Registered User
 
neecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 1,411
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raykat View Post
This thread is absolutely wonderful........after all the doom and gloom regarding CI on other threads, I havent been implanted, yet, still on waiting list. But this really gives me something to look forward to, especially with the music as the audie told me that they are not programmed for music so it wont make any difference.
They might not be "programmed" for music, but I tell you - I LOVE having music back in my life!!!!!!!!!!! I am always playing music on my computer, or listening to it on my mp3 player. YouTube is my friend - I love searching out songs I remember people talking about and then finding the lyrics and listening to them to learn something new. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do when you get your CI! And that you share your experiences here with us!!!
__________________
Friends are angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #30
neecy
Registered User
 
neecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 1,411
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being able to hear things from the next room and UNDERSTAND what people are saying still amazes me!! I remember the first time that happened, about 8 months post-activation and my mom and Dad were in the kitchen talking about their grandchildren (my brother's kids) and I was sitting in the living room and I was understanding everything they said!!! At one point Dad said he wanted to take the kids down to the beach the next day and asked Mom if he thought I'd want to go with- Mom said she'd go ask me, and from the living room I yelled out "I'd LOVE to go!!!" *grin* it was SO cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post
deafmama,

I can relate to your CI moment about being able to hear the TV in another room. I can still remember my utter surprise and amazement at being able to hear my stereo playing from another room. I was in my bedroom listening to a favorite CD when I walked to the kitchen to get something to drink. As I walked through my apartment, I began to notice that the music sounded softer the closer I got to the kitchen and louder the closer I got to the bedroom. Being able to hear that completely surprised me because I can't remember the last time I was able to hear that with or without HAs.

I know exactly what you mean about being able to hear music better. Even at 2 1/2 years post activation of my first CI, music continues to improve for me. When I wore HAs, I could hear music (drum beats and loud male vocals), but now thanks to my CIs, I'm able to appreciate all of the different layers of music -- harmony, melody, lead vocals, background vocals, instrumentals, intonation, pitch, etc. It's wonderful and not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for my ability to hear and appreciate music again.
__________________
Friends are angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.