AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > American with Disabilities Act
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 06-19-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
msbrooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ada Law Donot Protect Hard Of Hearing People!

I Went To Eeoc Yesterday To Talk About The Discrimination, Harrassment, And Retaliation I Am Going Through On My Job With Managment And My Coworkers! The Lady Told Me That I Wouldnt Be Approved To Have Eeoc Work With Me Because I Am Just Hoh And I Am Not Deaf And That I Can Communicate And That Ada Law Donot Protect Hoh People In The State Of Ga!

I Cant Believe This Sh!t Ada Think Hoh Of Hearing People Are Not Disable Because We Can Wear Hearing Aids, Hell I Told Her If I Take Off My Hearing Aide I Can Heart Jack! Sh!t Without Them And With Them On I Can Barely Hear With Them. But She Stated You Are Not Deaf, You Donot Sign And U Can Communicate With Your Hearing Aid On. I Cant Believe This!

Us Hoh And Deaf People Have No Kinda Of Support Or Nothing. I Mean I See Why My Job Do What They Want To Me Because They Probably Know About This And Know I Have No Kinda Of Protection! This Is Crazy!!
msbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-19-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
Then talk to NAD or a lawyer.
Unread 06-19-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 114 Times in 70 Posts
I am really sorry to read about what u are going thru. I had no idea that they had views like that. That's another concern I have with CIs...the children or adults who wear them wont get support nor protection due to the misconception out there that CIs makes people hearing or hoh.

Vampy has a good suggestion so why not take his advice?

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
dkf747

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Talk to the Lady's supervisor. If that don't get you anywhere, then do as Vampy has suggested.
dkf747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
msbrooks, if you are the one that lives in Georgia, I suggest that you get in touch with disABILITY LINK in Decatur. Maybe they'll be able to help you.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
Nesmuth
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Nesmuth
There Is Probably Other Issues This Great Fella Msbrooks Had Regarding Her Situation And I Can Clearly See That In Her Writing.

Richard
Nesmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
PowerON

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
I find is odd for someone to place the big cap on first letter on each word. Are you on mental or something? Sorry, if I said in rude.
Unread 06-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbrooks View Post
I Went To Eeoc Yesterday To Talk About The Discrimination, Harrassment, And Retaliation I Am Going Through On My Job With Managment And My Coworkers! The Lady Told Me That I Wouldnt Be Approved To Have Eeoc Work With Me Because I Am Just Hoh And I Am Not Deaf And That I Can Communicate And That Ada Law Donot Protect Hoh People In The State Of Ga!

I Cant Believe This Sh!t Ada Think Hoh Of Hearing People Are Not Disable Because We Can Wear Hearing Aids, Hell I Told Her If I Take Off My Hearing Aide I Can Heart Jack! Sh!t Without Them And With Them On I Can Barely Hear With Them. But She Stated You Are Not Deaf, You Donot Sign And U Can Communicate With Your Hearing Aid On. I Cant Believe This!

Us Hoh And Deaf People Have No Kinda Of Support Or Nothing. I Mean I See Why My Job Do What They Want To Me Because They Probably Know About This And Know I Have No Kinda Of Protection! This Is Crazy!!
That's absurd. The ADA does protect people in the state of GA. It is a federal law that supercedes all state law. Also, degree of deafness is not specified in the law. HoH are protected the same as someone who is severely deaf.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerON View Post
I find is odd for someone to place the big cap on first letter on each word. Are you on mental or something? Sorry, if I said in rude.
Perhaps, it was a copy-n-paste from someone else?
Unread 06-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Tousi

Liked 84 Times in 57 Posts
This is a crock....same as I think half the stories I hear about incidents at McDonald's, Wendy's, etc that ended in a lowly employee getting fired.
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #11
msbrooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesmuth View Post
There Is Probably Other Issues This Great Fella Msbrooks Had Regarding Her Situation And I Can Clearly See That In Her Writing.

Richard

Sorry if me cursing offended you and make you think differently about me. That just my way of venting lol
Unread 06-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
msbrooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
msbrooks, if you are the one that lives in Georgia, I suggest that you get in touch with disABILITY LINK in Decatur. Maybe they'll be able to help you.

Thankyou you are so helpful i think you are the one that gave me the eeoc information or the gachi number something but it was helpful and i appreciate it.
Unread 06-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
msbrooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerON View Post

It not even that serious, I was just venting and trying to get my point across! is this better???
Unread 06-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
rick48
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The following is just a brief excerpt from an EEOC document entitled:

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions and Answers about Deafness and Hearing Impairments in the Workplace and the Americans with Disabilities Act

1. When is a hearing impairment a disability under the ADA?

A hearing impairment is a disability under the ADA if: (1) it substantially limits a major life activity; (2) it substantially limited a major life activity in the past; or (3) the employer regarded (or treated) the individual as if his or her hearing impairment was substantially limiting.
The determination of whether a hearing impairment is substantially limiting must be made on an individualized, case-by-case basis.

Please go to the EEOC's website and read the entire document. If you think that you have been discriminated against then it is best that you consult with an attorney who practices in the field of disability law and rights. The bar association in your county or state should be able to refer you to such an attorney.

Sorry that this has happened but best of luck going forward,
Rick
rick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 01:46 AM   #15
besemiasno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Richard
As an advocate for the Deaf, you're not doing a great job!

Stop being such an asshole!
besemiasno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 02:59 AM   #16
spainmale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was you born deaf ? Then you need a copy of audio record. The EEOC doesnt believe. You claim that you are deaf.. If not you go ahead and talk deaf lawyer but not hearing.. If they say the same thing you would gain ground..
spainmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 05:21 AM   #17
msbrooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spainmale View Post
was you born deaf ? Then you need a copy of audio record. The EEOC doesnt believe. You claim that you are deaf.. If not you go ahead and talk deaf lawyer but not hearing.. If they say the same thing you would gain ground..

no no i am not deaf i am hard of hearing and i wear 2 hearing aids. Now what do u think i should do?
Unread 06-20-2007, 05:22 AM   #18
msbrooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by besemiasno View Post

I know right! thank you! people are a trip even deaf people are a trip. that ashame too.
Unread 06-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #19
christlovedeaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to christlovedeaf Send a message via Yahoo to christlovedeaf
Been discussing about the issue in the meeting and learned alot and it is overwhelming. ADA law has been put in more more and more and there are adding, I couldn't get it all the message. Can't remember what it is. I think it is in my file in my room, not sure. Like back in Bush signing in the early 90s, everything is weak in that. So there are group who is very carefully discussing where to put in the bill of ADA and has been succeeded. I couldn't explain it clearer here. But I do know that, inspite of your level of hearing loss, still under ADA law. Need to discuss with one of the like GAD (if your area call that), if there are any who are very familiar with it. I have here in OAD has it and got all the info about it. It has been adding and it is protecting our rights. Got every details in it.
Unread 06-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #20
spainmale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
no no i am not deaf i am hard of hearing and i wear 2 hearing aids. Now what do u think i should do?
I guess the EEOC is right because you are HH and there is nothing can do with it. That's why you and co workers get along good. But i think you should go see deaf lawyer instead of EEOC.. GIVE IT TRY.. let me know how it goes
spainmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #21
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spainmale View Post
I guess the EEOC is right because you are HH and there is nothing can do with it. That's why you and co workers get along good. But i think you should go see deaf lawyer instead of EEOC.. GIVE IT TRY.. let me know how it goes
Hehe, there's one deaf lawyer in WI.

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #22
Aleser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard of Hearing people are protected.

Under the ADA, an individual with a disability is a person who:
1. has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities;
2. has a record of such an impairment; or
3. is regarded as having such an impairment.

To be a disability covered by the ADA, an impairment must substantially limit one or more major life activities. These are activities that an average person can perform with little or no difficulty. Examples include walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing , learning, performing manual tasks, caring for oneself, working. These are examples only. Other activities such as sitting, standing, lifting, or reading are also major life activities.

def substantially:

An individual must be unable to perform, or be significantly limited in the ability to perform, an activity compared to an average person in the general population.
"She thinks... she can make people do what she wants or needs, what is right, by the sheer force of her own talent, not by forcing them... she can teach them and persuade them... that they'll catch it from her. This is still faith in their rationality, in the omnipotence of reason. The mistake? Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them."
Aleser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 03:37 AM   #23
pek1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to pek1 Send a message via Yahoo to pek1
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by besemiasno View Post

Hey newbie! Do you have any idea who he is? Try posting less and reading and learning more, and you'll find out instead of swearing at someone you don't even know.

Richard, my apologies for the newbie who doesn't know any better.
Unread 06-21-2007, 03:48 AM   #24
Nesmuth
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im Not Worried About This Newbie. When Someone Caps The First Letter Each Word, It Comes From Anger From Something Beyond The Frustration Of Dealing With EEOC. I Have Seen This Before. If Someone Wants To Misinterpret My Actions, Let Them, Let Them Shoot Their Own Feet.

Richard
Unread 06-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #25
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Im Not Worried About This Newbie. When Someone Caps The First Letter Each Word, It Comes From Anger From Something Beyond The Frustration Of Dealing With EEOC. I Have Seen This Before. If Someone Wants To Misinterpret My Actions, Let Them, Let Them Shoot Their Own Feet.

Richard
Ouch, besemiasno will going own you soon.

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #26
pek1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
Ouch, besemiasno will going own you soon.
Huh? What are you trying to say?
Unread 06-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #27
pek1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Quote:

Richard
I See You Adjusted Very Well To That Answer. I feel the same, as well as the poster above my previous: They can go blow it.
Unread 06-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #28
Nesmuth
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep thats right.

Richard
Unread 06-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #29
FadedRose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

MSBROOKS, I reside in georgia and I am deaf. I find it odd that you've recently registered in april. If you are someone at my place of employment who is trying to pretend to be me...you better fess up. I recently gave someone the address to this site for educational purposes. Call me paranoid but I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to start crap from where I work. For informational purposes as far as wanting to file a suit with whoever you work for... go for it. But you will cost ME and other Deaf people their jobs when they try to apply to the same company. If you want to get a head in life...deal with it.
I do.
I fight for what I want and I am also smart enough to know what discrimination is and what it isn't. I am also aware that due to being deaf I am limited in some areas of job functioning, but I chose an occupation to work part time that didn't put me in an area of communicating with other people and I like it that way. I work at an animal hospital and even though some people there treat me as if I am dumb do you see me hollaring about it? NO.
I just go on and do my job. I've been there for eight years and if I wanted to I could do something about it but I chose not to.
It isn't because I am weak.
There is nothing wrong with educating your co-workers about being deaf and I've found that once they know what being deaf is and isn't. I am treated MUCH better.

You haven't detailed the alleged discriminatory act against you...as far as I've read.
If you want help, state what has happened.

if not, tough up and realize that hearing people will always be this way, just don't let it get to you.

I am quite content with where I work and why?
Because I've made it that way by perservering.

that is all I have to say, and good luck to you, whoever you are.
FadedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 01:20 AM   #30
pek1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspheth View Post
MSBROOKS, I reside in georgia and I am deaf. I find it odd that you've recently registered in april. If you are someone at my place of employment who is trying to pretend to be me...you better fess up. I recently gave someone the address to this site for educational purposes. Call me paranoid but I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to start crap from where I work. For informational purposes as far as wanting to file a suit with whoever you work for... go for it. But you will cost ME and other Deaf people their jobs when they try to apply to the same company. If you want to get a head in life...deal with it.
I do.
I fight for what I want and I am also smart enough to know what discrimination is and what it isn't. I am also aware that due to being deaf I am limited in some areas of job functioning, but I chose an occupation to work part time that didn't put me in an area of communicating with other people and I like it that way. I work at an animal hospital and even though some people there treat me as if I am dumb do you see me hollaring about it? NO.
I just go on and do my job. I've been there for eight years and if I wanted to I could do something about it but I chose not to.
It isn't because I am weak.
There is nothing wrong with educating your co-workers about being deaf and I've found that once they know what being deaf is and isn't. I am treated MUCH better.

You haven't detailed the alleged discriminatory act against you...as far as I've read.
If you want help, state what has happened.

if not, tough up and realize that hearing people will always be this way, just don't let it get to you.

I am quite content with where I work and why?
Because I've made it that way by perservering.

that is all I have to say, and good luck to you, whoever you are.
Take this to pm's only, girls. Don't hijack this thread for personal messages that have nothing to do with the topic.