Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > American with Disabilities Act
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Closed Thread
Unread 03-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
atabr5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone deaf receive SS/SSI

I am deaf and it just happened in 2006. I signed up for social security disability about 5 months ago. I had to quit my job because I was having a hard time performing it...I was a preschool teacher. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't wasting my time and getting my hopes up if someone who is deaf can't get it. This is a serious question and please don't bash it! I was told a deaf person could get it but, I haven't heard anything from them in 5 months. Is this normal?
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
LuciaDisturbed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am deaf and I waited about 6 months before they approved it. I got my first check within a few weeks after that.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - Philosopher George Santayana.

Implanted left ear 10/11/06, activated 10/16/06 - Nucleus Freedom

My own CI experience, my views on CI and ASL and Deaf Culture and Society

DeviantArt
Unread 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Animal_Lover

i'm deaf and yes i have SSI

Unread 03-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I am deaf and I recieved SSDI checks

--- Anonymous
Unread 03-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
Meg871

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Meg871 Send a message via MSN to Meg871 Send a message via Yahoo to Meg871
Talking

I received SSI when I was 16 years old, until I came to Detroit at age of 19 and filed for SSI benefits but found out I still have the SSI and changed my address, and later, My Parents gave me their SSDI accts since until now, I get no more SSI, bec it sucks! LOL

Right now, I am looking for pt. time job and keep my SSDI until I retire...I guess...:-\

If you have part time job, SS will leave the SSDI to You unless you have any future changes....like over time, quit, or earnings over 40 hours or over it'll stop....??

I can't wait to get back on my feet and work again....sheesh....boring @ home and sitting around , I didn't like it and sitting around isn't good for me bec of my dang weight! Dang! *sobs* lolz
Unread 03-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
Did you try contacting them again?
Unread 03-13-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
PowerON

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
I'm deaf and I don't use SSI.

EVER.
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #8
mecooncat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm severely HOH (born that way) and have chronic pain since 2003. I've worked in the past up 'til 4 yrs ago. It takes about 6 months to get a first check.
Take time to laugh, it is the music of the soul. Take time to think, it is the source of power. Take time to read, it is the fountain of wisdom. Take time to love and be loved, it is a God-given privilege. Take time to work, it is the price of success.
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
Kalista
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to work instead of sitting with ass ****ing lazy on the couch. Deaf people who are good healthy physical and mental, they should go to WORK !!

Waste of government money on the Deaf people who do not want to work.
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #10
atabr5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
opinionated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalista View Post
I prefer to work instead of sitting with ass ****ing lazy on the couch. Deaf people who are good healthy physical and mental, they should go to WORK !!

Waste of government money on the Deaf people who do not want to work.
I am not lazy! I have worked ever since I was able to legally have a paying job. I am a teacher and I could no longer understand what my kids were saying and they couldn't understand me because my speech also messed up when I lost my hearing. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting disability until someone can better themselves. I would like to learn sign language, maybe have a cochlear implant, go back to college and be an interpreter. To my understanding that is what it is there for. I've read your quotes on other threads putting people down who get it...you shouldn't be so judgemental. Be glad you can work! Let God handle the rest!
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
atabr5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VamPyroX View Post
Did you try contacting them again?
No, but maybe I should? My application for social security was a month ago. I figured that if I was approved I would heard by now. Is no news good news right now?
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
atabr5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg871 View Post
I received SSI when I was 16 years old, until I came to Detroit at age of 19 and filed for SSI benefits but found out I still have the SSI and changed my address, and later, My Parents gave me their SSDI accts since until now, I get no more SSI, bec it sucks! LOL

Right now, I am looking for pt. time job and keep my SSDI until I retire...I guess...:-\

If you have part time job, SS will leave the SSDI to You unless you have any future changes....like over time, quit, or earnings over 40 hours or over it'll stop....??

I can't wait to get back on my feet and work again....sheesh....boring @ home and sitting around , I didn't like it and sitting around isn't good for me bec of my dang weight! Dang! *sobs* lolz
Thanks for the reply. Sorry things haven't been going to well for you. Hope it gets straightened out soon! I would say that most people are on this for the medical? I know that would help me a great deal! Good luck!
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
Kalista
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabr5 View Post
I am not lazy! I have worked ever since I was able to legally have a paying job. I am a teacher and I could no longer understand what my kids were saying and they couldn't understand me because my speech also messed up when I lost my hearing. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting disability until someone can better themselves. I would like to learn sign language, maybe have a cochlear implant, go back to college and be an interpreter. To my understanding that is what it is there for. I've read your quotes on other threads putting people down who get it...you shouldn't be so judgemental. Be glad you can work! Let God handle the rest!
I am profoundly Deaf. I do not feel sorry for myself. I went to college to get my degree. I had been single mom of two sons for years. I work 80 to 120 hours week with two jobs and sub Residental Advisor at The Learning Center for the Deaf. I almost never at home. I have to support two sons's college tuition. I am so sick of seeing more and more Deaf people rather stay home and stay up late to collect our government money. They did not try very hard to look for the job. They are very brilliant and good healthy.

I know several of couple who live with their boyfriends make over 80K. Mother with several children collect SSDI over 1,400 dollars a month. It makes me extremley furious. The government never recongize those mothers with children live with their boyfriend who make good salary.

You do not need to get cochlear implant. Just learn sign language, if you social more Deaf people. You will pick up really fast in ASL. Be alert, social security office would not support cochlear implant or hard of hearing on ssi or ssdi. I heard, there is new law for the Deaf people who apply social security. One disability Deaf will not acceptable. If there is more than one disability (cant hear or speak) will not get ssi or ssdi.

I am very disappointed in thousand Deaf people who are not trying very hard to fight themselves with Federal Government and Private Instrities to promotion their positions. They just sit back and feel sorry for themselves.

Our speak up have not fight since 1950's to now. Why can't we fight ourselves to prove ourselves that we can do!!! Hearing people look down at us because we can't do anything. That is bull-shit. It is time to STOP to feeling sorry for ourselves because we can't hear.

FIGHT OURSELVES PROVE WE CAN DO !!!
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #14
atabr5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaDisturbed View Post
I am deaf and I waited about 6 months before they approved it. I got my first check within a few weeks after that.
Maybe I just need to wait a little longer. It's just really tough on my husband. We are barely making it financially. I keep telling myself God will provide . April 7th will be 6 months. Hopefully I will hear something soon.
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #15
atabr5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalista View Post
I am profoundly Deaf. I do not feel sorry for myself. I went to college to get my degree. I had been single mom of two sons for years. I work 80 to 120 hours week with two jobs and sub Residental Advisor at The Learning Center for the Deaf. I almost never at home. I have to support two sons's college tuition. I am so sick of seeing more and more Deaf people rather stay home and stay up late to collect our government money. They did not try very hard to look for the job. They are very brilliant and good healthy.

I know several of couple who live with their boyfriends make over 80K. Mother with several children collect SSDI over 1,400 dollars a month. It makes me extremley furious. The government never recongize those mothers with children live with their boyfriend who make good salary.

You do not need to get cochlear implant. Just learn sign language, if you social more Deaf people. You will pick up really fast in ASL. Be alert, social security office would not support cochlear implant or hard of hearing on ssi or ssdi. I heard, there is new law for the Deaf people who apply social security. One disability Deaf will not acceptable. If there is more than one disability (cant hear or speak) will not get ssi or ssdi.

I am very disappointed in thousand Deaf people who are not trying very hard to fight themselves with Federal Government and Private Instrities to promotion their positions. They just sit back and feel sorry for themselves.

Our speak up have not fight since 1950's to now. Why can't we fight ourselves to prove ourselves that we can do!!! Hearing people look down at us because we can't do anything. That is bull-shit. It is time to STOP to feeling sorry for ourselves because we can't hear.

FIGHT OURSELVES PROVE WE CAN DO !!!
You have some really good points. I am sorry you have to work so hard to make it in this world. At the time of my hardship, I saw no other way. I feel like my family is falling apart. We can't communicate. I felt that staying at home, my children would benefit from it...maybe having the time off we could learn ASL together. I am looking for deaf people in my area. There is a group that meet at the mall here and I'm going to try to go. I will be lost as I still don't know how to communicate.

I'm sorry, I did not understand about what you were saying about CI. My brothers all want me to have it. I realy miss my 4 year olds voice!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off so rude!
Unread 03-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #16
BearBeauty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
atabr5..

6 months is normal waiting period for SS or SSI.. some people get lucky to get it early, but for the most part it takes 6 months. And I'd suggest doing research on CI's.. but learning ASL would probubly benefit you as well. Remember that CI's are not a magic solution. They can work.. but like some people have posted in other threads, they can stop working due to other problems in the ear that were unexpected.

If you learn ASL, maybe you could get a job at the local deaf school. that way you're putting your teaching degree to good use, just an idea to consider I saw that you said you were teaching preschool, so i thought I'd offer that suggestion. Hope it works out for you.
Unread 03-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #17
PowerON

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
If you are familiar with vocal thry experience, then you may choice hearing aids as limited vocal to recognition or CI for more beyond than aids.
Unread 03-13-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
Aleser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to post earlier, but I felt nervous in doing so before others had posted.

As has been stated, you shouldn't try and get ssi. Why? Because you're fully capable of working. If you must insist being Deaf is a disability, you're only setting yourself up to be treated as "broken" or "incapable" for the rest of your life. Learn asl. Look into teaching positions at a local Deaf school, or see if you can't get an interpreter at your usual school? Losing your hearing doesn't mean you suddenly have to go ahead and change all the life choices you made. You were a teacher, you are a teacher, and deafness should not be the factor that changes that.

Everyone brought up some good points about a CI- you can browse the forums that more relate to that topic.
Unread 03-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #19
atabr5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I'm trying to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleser View Post
I wanted to post earlier, but I felt nervous in doing so before others had posted.

As has been stated, you shouldn't try and get ssi. Why? Because you're fully capable of working. If you must insist being Deaf is a disability, you're only setting yourself up to be treated as "broken" or "incapable" for the rest of your life. Learn asl. Look into teaching positions at a local Deaf school, or see if you can't get an interpreter at your usual school? Losing your hearing doesn't mean you suddenly have to go ahead and change all the life choices you made. You were a teacher, you are a teacher, and deafness should not be the factor that changes that.

Everyone brought up some good points about a CI- you can browse the forums that more relate to that topic.
I know that I need to learn ASL and I intend to. My family depended on the income that I had. I could no longer do my job in a hearing atmosphere. I need ssi or ss or whatever it is to keep my family going until I learn the language. I'm sure that it takes time and time is what I don't have without some sort of income. Most of the people I find on here has been deaf all their life. I am 37 and it just happened. I need time to adjust as does my family. We aren't on the same page anymore...example: "Mom can't hear so I can say and do what I want." My 9 year old told me that my 12 year old says things like this. I have been "injured". If you were injured on a job, don't you collect workman's comp? or if the job closed and you couldn't find work for a while; wouldn't you need help? That's all I am considering this, a set back in my life and I need some help while I grieve and go on with my new life. Does any of this make sense?
Unread 03-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #20
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
No, but maybe I should? My application for social security was a month ago. I figured that if I was approved I would heard by now. Is no news good news right now?
Social Security is famous for dragging things out longer than should be necessary. Call them back. If they give you a time when you should have a decision, and you still haven't heard anything, call them again. Keep calling until they get tired of hearing from you, and find the paperwork that is just sitting on someone's desk, and process it. Since you have worked in the past, and paid into social security with each paycheck you received, this is your money that you are entitled to. They will try to put you off until you get so frustrated that you just give up. Don't allow them to do that to you. If you have to, be rude about it.
Unread 03-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #21
LuciaDisturbed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off so rude!
You're not the one who is rude, so please don't worry about it!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - Philosopher George Santayana.

DeviantArt
Unread 03-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #22
atabr5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you so much!

{Mod's Note - Previous post were removed.}

I really felt like I was about an inch tall with her comments. maybe a little embarrassed. You have made me feel a little better. I really don't know why I felt the need to explain to her...but, se did make me mad at first. I am not lazy.

So, you really like your CI? Does SSI/SS medicaid/ medicare pay for it? I really think I should go for it if approved. Like I said-I miss my kids voices. I also miss the sound of water; creek, waterfalls, etc.

And you guys are smart to catch that...120hrs? I would like to know how.

Well, thanks again!

Last edited by Jolie77; 03-13-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Unread 03-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #23
atabr5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Social Security is famous for dragging things out longer than should be necessary. Call them back. If they give you a time when you should have a decision, and you still haven't heard anything, call them again. Keep calling until they get tired of hearing from you, and find the paperwork that is just sitting on someone's desk, and process it. Since you have worked in the past, and paid into social security with each paycheck you received, this is your money that you are entitled to. They will try to put you off until you get so frustrated that you just give up. Don't allow them to do that to you. If you have to, be rude about it.
Thanks for the info. They, (SS) are definitely taking their good ole time making a decision!
Unread 03-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #24
LuciaDisturbed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I really felt like I was about an inch tall with her comments. maybe a little embarrassed. You have made me feel a little better. I really don't know why I felt the need to explain to her...but, se did make me mad at first. I am not lazy.

So, you really like your CI? Does SSI/SS medicaid/ medicare pay for it? I really think I should go for it if approved. Like I said-I miss my kids voices. I also miss the sound of water; creek, waterfalls, etc.

And you guys are smart to catch that...120hrs? I would like to know how.

Well, thanks again!
Don't be embarrassed. You don't have to explain to her at all!

Yeah, I am liking my CI so far, Medicaid and Medicare paid for the CI, the surgery and all CI related expenses. I haven't had to shell out a single cent so far. If you really want one, go for it!

DeviantArt
Unread 03-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #25
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Wow...some angry people here, heh?

I will be neutral here. I understand your need for SSI to keep your family together so u can figure out what path is right for u. I would rather choose ssi than have my family's finances fall apart. It was emergency situation that caused me to apply for ssi benefits. I was in my 1st semester of grad school when my ex hubby left me for another woman. I had to choose between dropping out of school to get a job to pay my bills and debts or get ssi and live with roommates until I finished college and get a job that. I chose the latter and I do not regret it. Yes, iam paying ssdi back because I continued to get checks during my 1st year at my teaching job. The reason for it cuz my first year, I was contractual meaning my position at the time didn't have paid sick days nor vacation meaning over the summers while school was closed I wouldn't get paid at all so ssdi saved my ass in those 3 years as a student and contractual teacher. I know I was going to have to pay ssdi back for that first year on my job and I am doing that.

Like people who get laid off or injured, they collect benefits until they get their lives back on track. I saw ssdi as the same concept.

If people r taking advantage of it like Kalista said about those people she mentioned then that's not right. If those people have been looking for jobs or going to school, I see nothing wrong with getting ssi/ssdi benefits.

About the CIs, I am neutral. Like Lucia said, it is nobody else's business.

Since my situation was so dire, I filled out an "emergency" amendment to make the process of applying for my ssdi income faster. I had to show justification for it and I believe the whole process took 3 months b4 I finally got my 1st check.

Try contacting the office about that emergency amendment. Hope they still allow it. My situation was 7 years ago so I don't know if the rules have changed or not.

I can understand about quitting your job. During my undergrad studies, I was required to a praticum teaching in a hearing class. There were about 15 students in that class and boy, it was hell for me cuz I just simply cudnt follow what the students were saying and many of the students had trouble understanding my "deaf" voice. Mind u, that time I didn't know any ASL so an terp wud have been out of the question for me. It left a bad taste that is still there for me. I do not want to teach hearing kids thru spoken language ever again. That experience was highly stressful for me.

I couldn't do a practicum at a deaf school due to not being proficent in ASL. Go figure...now I am proficent in ASL and teach at a deaf school and loving it. Thanks to SSDI for maing that possible.

--- Anonymous
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #26
atabr5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Wow...some angry people here, heh?

I will be neutral here. I understand your need for SSI to keep your family together so u can figure out what path is right for u. I would rather choose ssi than have my family's finances fall apart. It was emergency situation that caused me to apply for ssi benefits. I was in my 1st semester of grad school when my ex hubby left me for another woman. I had to choose between dropping out of school to get a job to pay my bills and debts or get ssi and live with roommates until I finished college and get a job that. I chose the latter and I do not regret it. Yes, iam paying ssdi back because I continued to get checks during my 1st year at my teaching job. The reason for it cuz my first year, I was contractual meaning my position at the time didn't have paid sick days nor vacation meaning over the summers while school was closed I wouldn't get paid at all so ssdi saved my ass in those 3 years as a student and contractual teacher. I know I was going to have to pay ssdi back for that first year on my job and I am doing that.

Like people who get laid off or injured, they collect benefits until they get their lives back on track. I saw ssdi as the same concept.

If people r taking advantage of it like Kalista said about those people she mentioned then that's not right. If those people have been looking for jobs or going to school, I see nothing wrong with getting ssi/ssdi benefits.

About the CIs, I am neutral. Like Lucia said, it is nobody else's business.

Since my situation was so dire, I filled out an "emergency" amendment to make the process of applying for my ssdi income faster. I had to show justification for it and I believe the whole process took 3 months b4 I finally got my 1st check.

Try contacting the office about that emergency amendment. Hope they still allow it. My situation was 7 years ago so I don't know if the rules have changed or not.

I can understand about quitting your job. During my undergrad studies, I was required to a praticum teaching in a hearing class. There were about 15 students in that class and boy, it was hell for me cuz I just simply cudnt follow what the students were saying and many of the students had trouble understanding my "deaf" voice. Mind u, that time I didn't know any ASL so an terp wud have been out of the question for me. It left a bad taste that is still there for me. I do not want to teach hearing kids thru spoken language ever again. That experience was highly stressful for me.

I couldn't do a practicum at a deaf school due to not being proficent in ASL. Go figure...now I am proficent in ASL and teach at a deaf school and loving it. Thanks to SSDI for maing that possible.
I think I picked a touchy topic. Wow, you sure have had it going on , huh? I try to realize in my life that for all the bad times I'm going through, someone else is going through worse.

I have not heard of that emergency amend. but, it is worth looking into. If I had known about it before I might have already been approved. I think that is the worst part fo me...not knowing if I got it. We are sooo in the hole in the bank. We have used up all our savings trying to keep our heads above water since Nov 2006. I really didn't know it would take this long and we only planned for about 3 months. My husbands check is electronically put in the bank and because we stay in the hole we never have any cash money!
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #27
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Quote:
I think I picked a touchy topic. Wow, you sure have had it going on , huh? I try to realize in my life that for all the bad times I'm going through, someone else is going through worse.

I have not heard of that emergency amend. but, it is worth looking into. If I had known about it before I might have already been approved. I think that is the worst part fo me...not knowing if I got it. We are sooo in the hole in the bank. We have used up all our savings trying to keep our heads above water since Nov 2006. I really didn't know it would take this long and we only planned for about 3 months. My husbands check is electronically put in the bank and because we stay in the hole we never have any cash money!
Ah...what happened while I was a grad student was nothing compared to what I went thru growing up. LOL!

Yes, there are people worse off than we are but u know what? We have to do what we have to survive. If I had let my pride or follow the "Be proud to be Deaf and able to work" way and not applied for SSDI benefits, I probably would have never finished school and be working 2 jobs to make ends needs. Those people who are all about being proud rather than getting some help wont be paying for my bills or keep me from filing for bankrupty, wouldnt they? No, this was about me and my life...just like u are doing what u need to do to ensure that you and your family dont fall apart. Ignore those who say getting SSI or SSDI being lazy or whatever. I posted my experiences with paying SSDI back in another thread and some hearing ADers bashed me and deaf people in general saying that it wasnt right for us to get SSDI or SSI benefits. How it was unfair..I told them that life is not fair and we have to do what we can do to survive or make the opportunities happen for us.

--- Anonymous
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #28
jazzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was on SSA for many years till I got job two years ago. I remember I applied in July and got approved in Oct and started collect SSA Dec for Jan.
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #29
LuciaDisturbed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Ah...what happened while I was a grad student was nothing compared to what I went thru growing up. LOL!

Yes, there are people worse off than we are but u know what? We have to do what we have to survive. If I had let my pride or follow the "Be proud to be Deaf and able to work" way and not applied for SSDI benefits, I probably would have never finished school and be working 2 jobs to make ends needs. Those people who are all about being proud rather than getting some help wont be paying for my bills or keep me from filing for bankrupty, wouldnt they? No, this was about me and my life...just like u are doing what u need to do to ensure that you and your family dont fall apart. Ignore those who say getting SSI or SSDI being lazy or whatever. I posted my experiences with paying SSDI back in another thread and some hearing ADers bashed me and deaf people in general saying that it wasnt right for us to get SSDI or SSI benefits. How it was unfair..I told them that life is not fair and we have to do what we can do to survive or make the opportunities happen for us.
That's right, we have to swallow our pride sometimes to get what we need.

DeviantArt
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #30
Eve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Eve
{Mod's Note - Previous post were removed.}

While I certainly don’t agree with everything that Kalista says, I can honestly say that you have no right to judge her own experiences. I have been a single mother of two children and I can assure you that I worked that many hours at multiple jobs before. When I first lost my hearing, I was in college. I had my first child soon after and had to work a 30 hour week at a gas station, while doing my student teaching, finishing up my college classes, and nursing an infant. I got very little sleep during that time of my life. Later, after my second child, I worked 3 jobs just to make ends meet. How dare you say that Kalista is a liar when you don’t even know her or her circumstances????

{Mod's Note - Previous post also were removed.}

You seem to have a habit of talking out your backside! My husband received a CI in September. He has suffered from extreme vertigo ever since. While he is able to hear now, he regrets being implanted because he feels more impaired by the vertigo (dizziness/nausea) than he ever felt from his lack of hearing. Although this side effect of CI is rare, it DOES HAPPEN. Just because it isn’t YOUR experience, doesn’t mean it isn’t someone elses!

That being said….I have had several friends who did not suffer from vertigo and have had a very favorable reaction to their CI. It all depends on the individual, and it is my understanding that latent deaf have a greater chance of a good outcome with CI than others.

Like Kalista, I am against us using our deafness to collect SSDI if we are capable of working. And, since I too am latent AND was a teacher for many years (I am currently taking time off to raise my children, but am not doing so at the taxpayers expense), I feel I have a better understanding of this situation than anyone else responding here.

Unfortunately, I am not a candidate for CI, but if I were, I would certainly look into getting one. My first step would be to contact VR and find the best way to finance a CI.

Even without a CI it is possible to continue working as a teacher, I did. It wasn’t easy. I had to have some accommodations and my coworkers help me out a bit, but nothing too extensive. Don’t let deafness become a DISABILITY for you. You need to take charge of your life.

Last edited by Jolie77; 03-13-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Closed Thread