Winfield McChord Jr. died last friday

Casperman

Reaction score
MCCHORD Winfield Jr., 66, died Fri. Arrangements are pending at W.R. Milward Mortuary-Southland he was supt for Ky school for the Deaf 1971-1981, America School for the deaf Headmaster, St. Marys School for Deaf Headmaster , and Supt at Georiga School for the Deaf...some of yall who went to KSD 71-81 or ASD 1981-00, ST Marys and GSD may know him.. He is hearing but came from one of largest deaf family in ky.. i was sadden to hear he was gone...

also was Princpal at Virginia SD-Stauton before 70s

Milward Funeral Directors - Welcome

Life Story about Winfield and his family

Winfield McChord, a son of deaf parents, graduated from Transylvania College in Lexington, Kentucky. He earned his Master’s Degree at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C. He also pursued graduate studies at the University of Cincinnati and the University of Virginia. His mother was a VSDB student and a classmate of several parents whose children were members of the VSDB classes of 1963, 64, and 65.

In his career, he has served as a classroom teacher (1963-66), and later as Principal (1967-69), at the Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind in Staunton. He was this nation’s youngest Principal of a center school for the deaf upon his appointment in 1966-67 at the West Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind in Romney. His daughter Shannon was born in Staunton April 8, 1968.

He returned to his home state in 1969 as Principal of the Kentucky School for the Deaf, where his parents graduated in 1935. In 1971, he became KSD’s Superintendent, the youngest Superintendent in the U.S. of a center school for the deaf. In 1978, his wife Charlotte earned a law degree and began a legal practice, serving the deaf.

After ten years in the front office of KSD, the McChords moved to Connecticut, where he served twenty years as Headmaster of the American School for the Deaf, the first school in his career where his parents had never been students, and he had no relatives on the staff or in the student body. One of the ASD teachers was VSDB’s Betty Roop Young. Mrs. McChord passed away January 3, 1999. He also served as Interim President of the St. Mary’s School for the Deaf (2001-2003) in Buffalo, New York.

He was the first licensed interpreter for the deaf in America (1973); he was the President of the Conference of Educational Administrators Serving the Deaf (1988-90); visiting professor at Huajhong Normal University in Wuhan, Mainland China (1990); President of the National Association of Private Special Education Centers (2000-2003); a member of the Bicentennial Celebration Committee of the school for the deaf in Paris, France; the host of the 1997 Convention of American Instructors of the Deaf in Hartford, Connecticut; and he has interpreted for one U.S. Vice President (Gore) and two U.S. Presidents (Kennedy, Clinton).

He resigned as Director of the Georgia School for the Deaf a few years ago. He has since lived in Lexington, KY.

How did he died?

Sean

From what I know, It's the "hottest" news in the deaf community here in Kentucky. He is, of course, a well known person in this deaf community. I felt I was very fortunate to meet him on several different occasions. I will always remember him as a strong willed, humbled and a determined gentleman.

I was told that He died of a massive stroke. It happened on this past Friday and he was about to leave his home getting on the road to attend the Rotary Club meeting in this town. He must have not been far from home when he was on a road starting to feel some massive headache coming up like as if brain was feeling so clamped up. So, He knew something was wrong and decided to turn back on the road to return to his house which happens to have his daughter at home. His daughter knew something was wrong also and called to get the ambulance. The ambulance arrived and took him straight at the hospital. I also was told that he did survive for 5 hours after he was whisked away by the ambulance and passed away at the hospital.

Prior to his death, He did have a prostate cancer and was eventually cured by that. He also had blood clot and a surgery with his leg or something like that. His health was improving slowly and gradually and out of the blue, that massive stroke came up, unfortunately.

How did he died?

Sean

he have strokes that why he died comes from mostly people have strokes same my grandma have but my grandma not yet died but she still alives and weak poor.

Milward Funeral Directors - Welcome read on Winfield McChord Jr

I am saddened by the death of Dr. Winfield McChord. I have had the pleasure to get know Dr. McChord personally, when he first came to Georgia where he was appointed director of the Georgia School for the Deaf, located near Rome. I was so impressed with what he has done at and for GSD (not my alma-mater though).

Having talked to him probably convinced me to be a bit open-minded about keeping GSD and other residence schools open. I was disappointed when I learnt that he was forced out by Dr. Cynthia Asbury, Director of State Schools in Georgia, about two years ago.

Rest in peace, Win.

I used to be work with Winfield McChord at ASD America School for the Deaf.

Why did McChord was fired from St. Mary School for Deaf?

Fired? I don't think he was fired. Perhaps you heard it differently? I was told that he was resigning from St. Mary's because his term per contract was about to expire. I'm curious, Where did you get this news from?

MCCHORD Winfield Jr., 66, died Fri. Arrangements are pending at W.R. Milward Mortuary-Southland he was supt for Ky school for the Deaf 1971-1981, America School for the deaf Headmaster, St. Marys School for Deaf Headmaster , and Supt at Georiga School for the Deaf...some of yall who went to KSD 71-81 or ASD 1981-00, ST Marys and GSD may know him.. He is hearing but came from one of largest deaf family in ky.. i was sadden to hear he was gone...

also was Princpal at Virginia SD-Stauton before 70s

Milward Funeral Directors - Welcome

Wow...I know McChord ...i graduated from Virginia School for the Deaf and Bline.. then later on i moved to Indiana.. went to basketball games in KY.. i was surprised he was supt in Ky deaf school and talked to him.. he remembered me and he brought out old school yearbooks that has pic of me in there... then I met his deaf parents.. went to their house in Daniville.. I had great time with them.. then i went back to Indiana.. never saw them again...

Fired? I don't think he was fired. Perhaps you heard it differently? I was told that he was resigning from St. Mary's because his term per contract was about to expire. I'm curious, Where did you get this news from?

Probably from a few sour grapes on the vine.

Richard

Why did McChord was fired from St. Mary School for Deaf?
I don't believe Dr. McChord was ever fired from the school in Buffalo, but I believe that school was the last school he retired from until he came out of retirement to become director of the Georgia School for the Deaf (GSD). He was forced out (fired) by his boss, Dr. Asbury, director of Georgia State Schools about two years ago.

I don't believe Dr. McChord was ever fired from the school in Buffalo, but I believe that school was the last school he retired from until he came out of retirement to become director of the Georgia School for the Deaf (GSD). He was forced out (fired) by his boss, Dr. Asbury, director of Georgia State Schools about two years ago.

Then, Why was he fired (forced out) by Dr. Asbury ?

From what I know, It's the "hottest" news in the deaf community here in Kentucky. He is, of course, a well known person in this deaf community. I felt I was very fortunate to meet him on several different occasions. I will always remember him as a strong willed, humbled and a determined gentleman.

I was told that He died of a massive stroke. It happened on this past Friday and he was about to leave his home getting on the road to attend the Rotary Club meeting in this town. He must have not been far from home when he was on a road starting to feel some massive headache coming up like as if brain was feeling so clamped up. So, He knew something was wrong and decided to turn back on the road to return to his house which happens to have his daughter at home. His daughter knew something was wrong also and called to get the ambulance. The ambulance arrived and took him straight at the hospital. I also was told that he did survive for 5 hours after he was whisked away by the ambulance and passed away at the hospital.

Prior to his death, He did have a prostate cancer and was eventually cured by that. He also had blood clot and a surgery with his leg or something like that. His health was improving slowly and gradually and out of the blue, that massive stroke came up, unfortunately.

thestory is correct .. thatis from what i heard thur my parents old friends...

I hate to hear any bad rumors against McChord... I was in Junior year at VSDB.. He was interning us... he was real cool.... I had huge crush on him.. he was so fucking good looking... NIce guy..
Then I graduated from there... He graduated from Gallaudet and started teaching at VSDB... I never saw him until I went to Ky deaf school and met him ..he was supt there... He was a great man... so Peeple should not say any negatives against him....

I got this news from my friend who graduated from SMSD.

Back