LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unread 11-28-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
Phillips
Lets ride horses!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSDI and Move another state Question

My friend who has SSDI and she live in Conn. And plan move to Colorado or New Mexico next year.

She asked me if her SSDI will change amount or same a monthly. I told her I do not know but though this post and maybe useful information??

My journal!
http://poochie21.blogspot.com/

***Enjoy life today, Yesterday has past and Tomorrow may never come.***
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Sunshine1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No SSD (Social Security Disability) will not change because it's federal. For SSI (Social Supplementary Income)yes it would be because of cost of living by state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips View Post
My friend who has SSDI and she live in Conn. And plan move to Colorado or New Mexico next year.

She asked me if her SSDI will change amount or same a monthly. I told her I do not know but though this post and maybe useful information??
Sunshine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
Nesmuth
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Nesmuth
I know a lot deafs on SSDI living in Tijuana with San Diego addresses and Juarez with El Paso addresses.

Costs of living in Mexico is about 1/8 of what it costs to live in US.

Richard
Nesmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
TweetyBird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i moved other state and my ssd was off alike 20 or 30.00 off, yea they will change low or high it depend on states..
TweetyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
TweetyBird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1 View Post
No SSD (Social Security Disability) will not change because it's federal. For SSI (Social Supplementary Income)yes it would be because of cost of living by state.
well, i moved other state, and my SSD change it true...
TweetyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Sunshine1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweetyBird View Post
well, i moved other state, and my SSD change it true...
Really? That's strange cuz SSD is paid by federal taxes and SSI is paid by state taxes.
Unread 11-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
DreamDeaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) is based on your earnings and you would not get it unless you had five years productive employment - and it will increase in accordance to how long you work and how much you earn during that time. This is fixed according to federal guidelines - it will not change if you move from state to state.

SSI (Social Security Income) is based on the cost-of-living rate in the state you currently resides - and it will flucate according to the COF rate in each state. So, if you were to move to Missouri from California, it would go down at least $25.00, because the COF rate is lower in Missouri than it is in California.
DreamDeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #8
moonflower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the information cuz i am about to plan to move out of my state anyway

still need to check with SS office in your areas to let them know about the change of the move for the address and etc... cuz i move around 3 times in my state need to let SS office know what going on IT IS A MUST!!!!
smile
moonflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
Sunshine1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There you go. Good posting. I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDeaf View Post
SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) is based on your earnings and you would not get it unless you had five years productive employment - and it will increase in accordance to how long you work and how much you earn during that time. This is fixed according to federal guidelines - it will not change if you move from state to state.

SSI (Social Security Income) is based on the cost-of-living rate in the state you currently resides - and it will flucate according to the COF rate in each state. So, if you were to move to Missouri from California, it would go down at least $25.00, because the COF rate is lower in Missouri than it is in California.
Unread 11-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
DreamDeaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's also a bit easier to have your SSI/SSDI direct deposited into a nationwide bank such as Bank of America or USBank at least a month before you move out of state - if you know way ahead of time, I would suggest doing it immediately.

Even if you do plan to stay in the state you currently reside in, it's always a good idea to have your check direct deposited into a bank - that way you do not have to worry about late mail, destroyed/missing/stolen checks, or people peeking into the envelope to see how much you're getting.
DreamDeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #11
jazzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweetyBird View Post
i moved other state and my ssd was off alike 20 or 30.00 off, yea they will change low or high it depend on states..
Do u work before? SSDI is for people who worked for many years while SSI is for people who does not work. SSI will increase or decrease but not SSDI, same as everywhere depend on how much they earn while they worked. My friends have SSDI moved to Fla and back, still same.
Unread 11-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #12
Oddball
Premium Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:

I disagree with your post. You will get SSDI when you have over 10 years of productive employment. I had SSDI for four years, starting with California. The amount was high, but eventually I moved back to Las Vegas after I graduated from SFSU, my SSDI amount was decreased a little bit (I don't remember how much). Then, I moved to PA for a job and asked SS Office to put me on Work on Trial for 9-12 months. The amount was the same as far as I remember.

But, I guess the rules of SSDI and SSI vary in different state.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #13
Oddball
Premium Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesmuth View Post
I know a lot deafs on SSDI living in Tijuana with San Diego addresses and Juarez with El Paso addresses.

Richard
Yes, it happens because they can afford living in Mexico at cheap costs. I don't mind buying a huge house in Mexico while working in US. The costs of houses in US are merely bullshit.
Unread 11-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #14
gnarlydorkette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Living in MExico and entering US for work-- even if you are an American-- will be a PAIN IN THE BUTT with the new regulation requiring you to have a passport!
gnarlydorkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 06:54 PM   #15
Phillips
Lets ride horses!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for info

Also I didn't mean in MEXICO .. I Mean that NEW MEXICO State is in between Arizona and um Nevada?

My journal!

Unread 11-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #16
Phillips
Lets ride horses!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because She wants aware about amount ssdi so look for Apartment for her and her two sons ok Seem she choice lives in Colorado because there good program Colorado school for the deaf and blind near in Colorado spring so if you knew about that and is good? If any negative and pls private e.Mail me Thanks

My journal!

Unread 11-28-2006, 10:58 PM   #17
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I prefer to get job over SSI and SSDI, I would like to take networking class.

**** to SSDI and SSI.

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 02:44 AM   #18
LuciaDisturbed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Richard
I ought to do just that, LOL...unfortunately I live about 2 1/2 hours from the border so it is not a possiblity.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - Philosopher George Santayana.

Implanted left ear 10/11/06, activated 10/16/06 - Nucleus Freedom

My own CI experience, my views on CI and ASL and Deaf Culture and Society

DeviantArt
LuciaDisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 02:44 AM   #19
LuciaDisturbed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlydorkette View Post
Living in MExico and entering US for work-- even if you are an American-- will be a PAIN IN THE BUTT with the new regulation requiring you to have a passport!
Well, just get a passport.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - Philosopher George Santayana.

DeviantArt
Unread 11-29-2006, 02:46 AM   #20
LuciaDisturbed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
It's also a bit easier to have your SSI/SSDI direct deposited into a nationwide bank such as Bank of America or USBank at least a month before you move out of state - if you know way ahead of time, I would suggest doing it immediately.

Even if you do plan to stay in the state you currently reside in, it's always a good idea to have your check direct deposited into a bank - that way you do not have to worry about late mail, destroyed/missing/stolen checks, or people peeking into the envelope to see how much you're getting.
That is very true. My bank is a nationwide one, so it made it very easy for me when I moved from Minnesota to Texas last april, and I didn't have to change banks!

DeviantArt
Unread 11-30-2006, 05:20 AM   #21
Autowiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Sunshine1;680012]No SSD (Social Security Disability) will not change because it's federal. For SSI (Social Supplementary Income)yes it would be because of cost of living by state.[/QUO

YES YOU ARE 100% RIGHT, IT DEPEND ON ANY STATE YOU MOVED IN AND THEY WILL FIGURE HOW MUCH YOU EARN MAYBE LESS OR MORE BECAUSE OF LIVING COST IT FOLLOW ON "STATE TAXES" I THINK
Autowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 04:32 PM   #22
gnarlydorkette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaDisturbed View Post
Well, just get a passport.
Some people cannot afford a passport. If they are on SSI, then obviously they don't have enough funds to pay for a passport after paying for the bills, food, et cetera. So it is a catch-22--
you want to save money by living in a cheap country over the border BUT you gotta save up a bit to BUY a passport and it is against SSI's policy to save up without informing them...
and if you tell them "hey I need a passport" then they are all OVER YOU.
Catch-22.
gnarlydorkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #23
LuciaDisturbed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlydorkette View Post
Some people cannot afford a passport. If they are on SSI, then obviously they don't have enough funds to pay for a passport after paying for the bills, food, et cetera. So it is a catch-22--
you want to save money by living in a cheap country over the border BUT you gotta save up a bit to BUY a passport and it is against SSI's policy to save up without informing them...
and if you tell them "hey I need a passport" then they are all OVER YOU.
Catch-22.
Actually, you can have up to $2000 total in the bank. That's what SSA has told me. I think passports are a little over $100, not sure of the exact amount.

DeviantArt
Unread 12-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #24
Oddball
Premium Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaDisturbed View Post
Actually, you can have up to $2000 total in the bank. That's what SSA has told me. I think passports are a little over $100, not sure of the exact amount.

Yes, up to $2000 for SSI people. With SSDI or SSA, you save unlimited amount of money.
Unread 12-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #25
Sugar Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sugar Addict
Quote:

Richard
i'm paying my taxes for that? **** if the government had a reward system of some type that will give me a thousand bucks for each SSI violation that I've seen I'll be a millioniare

yet i'm wondering with the new tracking system of passports- will the government use that as a tool to cut those deafies off SSI for being out of the country for mroe than 30 days?
Sugar Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #26
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
Yes, it happens because they can afford living in Mexico at cheap costs. I don't mind buying a huge house in Mexico while working in US. The costs of houses in US are merely bullshit.
Yea... I feel like that too.

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #27
oakbluffs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can suggest your friend to get a job. It can pay much more than SSDI/SSI.
oakbluffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #28
TenderSpiritual

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

I am on SSDI I moved to michigan from minneosta. the amount is same. SSDI and SSI are big different.
TenderSpiritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #29
TenderSpiritual

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
I disagree with your post. You will get SSDI when you have over 10 years of productive employment. I had SSDI for four years, starting with California. The amount was high, but eventually I moved back to Las Vegas after I graduated from SFSU, my SSDI amount was decreased a little bit (I don't remember how much). Then, I moved to PA for a job and asked SS Office to put me on Work on Trial for 9-12 months. The amount was the same as far as I remember.

But, I guess the rules of SSDI and SSI vary in different state.
HUH, I worked three years. I started on SSDI. but really, In 5 years of your productive employment.
TenderSpiritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #30
starrygaze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Because She wants aware about amount ssdi so look for Apartment for her and her two sons ok Seem she choice lives in Colorado because there good program Colorado school for the deaf and blind near in Colorado spring so if you knew about that and is good? If any negative and pls private e.Mail me Thanks
I was little boy in deaf and blind school in Colorado Spring. Nice and huge place out I bet she will love there. Pike Peak Mountain is awesome scenery there too. Possibly SSDI will change in increase or decrease I am not sure. You can contact SS for information.