Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > General Chat
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unread 07-10-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
MilitaryGirl83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Are there any deaf real estate agents?

Because I am thinking abouto majoring into real estate and I am also very good with computer skills. What classes do I have to take and how long is this? I hope that I am not the only one! :TY:

Unread 07-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
Fo'Shizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why don't you ask jeeves? He will give you the answer you want.. I hope you find what you need...
Unread 07-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
SxyPorkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixKat930
Because I am thinking abouto majoring into real estate and I am also very good with computer skills. What classes do I have to take and how long is this? I hope that I am not the only one! :TY:
Go for it...as long as you can speak.....
SxyPorkie
Unread 07-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
gnulinuxman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMajesty
Why don't you ask jeeves? He will give you the answer you want.. I hope you find what you need...
Not helping.
gnulinuxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Fo'Shizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the courses you will need to take!!!!!

Principles of Real Estate I

Principles of Real Estate II

Law of Agency

Law of Contracts

Real Estate Appraisal

Principles of Real Estate I

Law of Agency

Law of Contracts

Brokerage

Law of Agency

Law of Contracts

All this came out from Ask jeeves, and it does help if you ask the right thing.. She is asking what courses she would need to take to be able to do this
Unread 07-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
MilitaryGirl83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I do speak and read lips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyPorkie
Go for it...as long as you can speak.....
SxyPorkie
Unread 07-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
Fo'Shizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are you ingoring me for some reason
Unread 07-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #8
Tousi

Liked 141 Times in 89 Posts
On top of all of the above skills needed, you need to be really outgoing and know what clients want, etc.
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
Maria
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go ask Pek1....
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:36 PM   #10
Endymion

Location: Somewhere within the geographical proximity of sanity.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you mean you want to become a realtor who helps people buy and sell houses? You won't need to major in RE or go to college for it. In most states a few bucks and a test will be enough to get you a license.

If you do become a realtor, you probably also want to get legal to sell mortgages. That way you earn profits from both the house you helped someone buy and the mortgage they get!

But before you think about giant amounts of money, you might want to check this:

Why most real-estate agents aren't getting rich: http://www.slate.com/id/2124506/

But don't let that stop you. There's something far more effective you can do. If you become certified to work as a real estate agent, you can really work the system in your favor and use your license to get and sell properties for dirt cheap!

I'd recommend you study RE in college. If I went to school for a degree in real estate, it'd be to learn how to buy and sell properties for myself. You don't really need a degree, but you can learn some awesome tricks that will really help you make money on your own properties.

On top of that, if you become legal to sell mortgages, you'll get access to rate sheets. Rate sheets are "industry secrets" *cough* *cough* that pretty much tell you what kind of mortgages lenders will be willing to give you.

You would not believe the mortgages you'd qualify for -- they're way cheaper what mortgage brokers sell you! If you can get access to rate sheets as a mortgage salesperson, you can really push the mortgage agent around and get a good deal on money for property.
Endymion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:48 PM   #11
ClearSky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My cousin took a class and a license in Real Estate. She did not go to college for it, but she worked in a real estate office aswering the phone. She did sell one house though. Maybe a real estate office might help you know where are these classes are? You may have to go to another city to take the license test and renew it when it expires. Don't get discouraged by anything. If you feel in your hear that this is what you want, then go for it. Don't view anything you try that doesn't work as a failure. Nothing is really a failure .
ClearSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #12
pek1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to pek1 Send a message via Yahoo to pek1
Arrow

Quote:
The state of Minnesota requires 30-hours before the exam is to be taken and you must score at least 75 percent correct. After that, it's an additional 60 hours for a total of 90 hours required for licensing. And yes, in Minnesota, you must be under a broker for at least two years. After that, you can go for your broker's license.

Additionally, continuing education of 30 hours in your first year is required and each year after that, 15 hours minimum is required.

Check out my broker's website; my name is not on it yet, but check back.

http://www.re-masters.com/

Also, check this website out, as this is where I went to get training for my license: http://www.prosource.com/
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #13
Cousin Vinny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion
But before you think about giant amounts of money, you might want to check this:

Why most real-estate agents aren't getting rich: http://www.slate.com/id/2124506/
That's a good link. I always knew that the RE market was highly entreprenurial, almost akin to the saturated attorney market, but I really had no idea.

I can be a RE agent if I wanted to be. I don't even have to apply for one. I'm already 'automagically' qualified to do that kind of work if I'm so inclined. I wouldn't mind doing so, if the barriers to entry weren't so high already. (The South Florida market is so saturated with RE offerings and RE agents!)
Cousin Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 12:30 AM   #14
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Pek1 is deaf real estate agent.

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #15
LisaMarie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek1
The state of Minnesota requires 30-hours before the exam is to be taken and you must score at least 75 percent correct. After that, it's an additional 60 hours for a total of 90 hours required for licensing. And yes, in Minnesota, you must be under a broker for at least two years. After that, you can go for your broker's license.

Additionally, continuing education of 30 hours in your first year is required and each year after that, 15 hours minimum is required.

Check out my broker's website; my name is not on it yet, but check back.

http://www.re-masters.com/

Also, check this website out, as this is where I went to get training for my license: http://www.prosource.com/
Far out! Because this is where im currently taking classes at prosource in the cities! I'm pursing in insurance license also. I didnt realize what i have done is so much similar to yours.

and yes Pek1 has already answer most of question what im planning on telling you. Thanks pek1, saving my time and typing! lol!
Unread 07-11-2006, 01:07 AM   #16
Endymion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeth
That's a good link. I always knew that the RE market was highly entreprenurial, almost akin to the saturated attorney market, but I really had no idea.

I can be a RE agent if I wanted to be. I don't even have to apply for one. I'm already 'automagically' qualified to do that kind of work if I'm so inclined. I wouldn't mind doing so, if the barriers to entry weren't so high already. (The South Florida market is so saturated with RE offerings and RE agents!)
Interesting! And a good post!

I'm not surprised about Florida. Where I usually am, we're overloaded with RE agents. The one big thing is that when you have an oversaturated market, it means that a lot of people are likely not doing things efficiently (economically, the average value of human capital is less than in an exclusive market with a high certification/education barrier to entry).

What this means is that if you study your marketing, you should be fine! Segment, segment, segment. Always. So many realtors I know could benefit from more marketing training!

So anyway, how are you 'automagically' qualified? Endymion is curious!
Unread 07-11-2006, 01:10 AM   #17
Endymion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie
Far out! Because this is where im currently taking classes at prosource in the cities! I'm pursing in insurance license also. I didnt realize what i have done is so much similar to yours.

and yes Pek1 has already answer most of question what im planning on telling you. Thanks pek1, saving my time and typing! lol!
Awesome concidence!
Unread 07-11-2006, 01:38 AM   #18
Cousin Vinny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
So anyway, how are you 'automagically' qualified? Endymion is curious!
I did a little bit more digging in Florida's RE licensing statutes. It does appear that my profession is 'excluded' from RE licensing requirements, but only when it comes to execution of contracts and conveyances.

On another part of the Florida's RE licensing website, it does state that attorneys do not have to undertake the pre-licensure requirements such as schooling, etc. and simply can apply for a broker's license. I assume that they will still have to take the test.

Taken as a whole, I would be safe in asserting that I can be involved in RE transactions, represent a buyer or seller, but not be able to act as a 'broker', listing RE properties for sale and meeting up with random people in hawking property, or recruiting sellers.

According to a Daily Business Review (A South Florida RE publication), attorneys are used extensively, when conveyances reaches certain targets, such as the final purchase price exceeding $1 million, large acreage parcels being sold, shopping complexes, large-scale condonimums, etc. Otherwise, RE brokers dominate the market.
Unread 07-11-2006, 07:10 AM   #19
diehardbiker

Liked 66 Times in 55 Posts
I know couple real estate agent that is deaf! It is in Rochester, NY and one of them works for Nothnagle. I dunno if she stilll works there or not.
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 07:24 AM   #20
Alex
Administrator

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Alex Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I'm thinking about taking some RE courses in college one of these days. It's for my own knowledge and I think it'll be fun.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #21
Y

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about this, too (except with
only one drawback)

Last edited by Y; 07-11-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #22
pek1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to pek1 Send a message via Yahoo to pek1
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie
Thanks pek1, saving my time and typing! lol!
You are certainly welcome! Doing so gains me a discount when you do a close for me, right?
Unread 07-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #23
kayla123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I don't know what state you live in, but in Illinois the Real estate classes are 45 classroom hours, then you take a test to pass the class. You have 2 chances to pass the test. After that you take the state exam ( 3 chances to pass that one). I just took my state exam and passed it (on the second try ). All i can tell you is study, study, study!!. I am a hearie but it makes no difference whether you can hear or are ddh, as long as you study away! Good luck,
kayla123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 12:47 AM   #24
LisaMarie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek1
You are certainly welcome! Doing so gains me a discount when you do a close for me, right?
hahah.. will see!!! lol
Unread 07-14-2006, 02:18 AM   #25
WhisperHorse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomskatz
Pek1 is deaf real estate agent.
I thought Pek1 is hearing?
She's the love of my life.

Weight; lose 13 lbs since June 23, 2009

Haven't drink any kind of soda(like pepsi, coke, dr pepper, anyyyy) since July 12, 2009!
WhisperHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #26
Cousin Vinny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Take a look at this link:

Half a Million Strong RE Agents Swarm California

Yeah, and I'll bet 50% of them are now selling Girl Scout cookies. Even in boom times, the RE business just wasn't enough to support all of this dead weight, even at 6% commissions. (Oh, don't get me started on the California Bar and its numbers!)
Unread 07-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #27
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetheart
I thought Pek1 is hearing?
I checked his profile and he's HoH.

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #28
Freaky Cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do know one who work in real estate and yes he is deaf. he live in portland, Oregon.
Unread 07-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #29
Levonian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Very troo. At one point back in the early 80ís, 10% of all adults in California had a valid real estate license!

Quote:
You would not believe the mortgages you'd qualify for -- they're way cheaper what mortgage brokers sell you! If you can get access to rate sheets as a mortgage salesperson, you can really push the mortgage agent around and get a good deal on money for property.
What kind of rates are we talking about here?
Levonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 03:15 AM   #30
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W000t old thread.

But yes, in the USA its easy to be a realtor here. Only need two classes of Real estate, then a test.

I know of several deaf realtors.
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote