AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 03-29-2006, 03:28 AM   #1
Cloggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When expecting a child, would you want it to be deaf?

The topic "Do we actually want our deaf child to hear?" is diluting. The question is often read as "Would you do anything to make your child hear?" and that is not what I meant.
Perhaps the question should be:

Keep in mind, the child will be loved just as much; hearing or deaf.

I am interested in the mindset of people without geting into a discussion.
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-29-2006, 03:31 AM   #2
Cloggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No...

For me, when we were expecting it never occured to me that our child could be deaf. There's no history in the family.
But for any new pregnancies, I would like the child to be able to hear.
Unread 03-29-2006, 05:09 AM   #3
Boult

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
me.. no.. I hope my future kids are hearing
Quote:
I find that when I'm channel surfing, Fox News is like that carton of milk way past its expiration date, taunting you from the back of the refrigerator. You KNOW it's gonna smell, but still you open it up and take a whiff. by: bc68251 on February 21, 2006
Boult is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Opal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No!!

Before I start a family, I knew they will be all born hearing.
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
Cloggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
No!!

Before I start a family, I knew they will be all born hearing.
Well, you cannot check before the child is born.
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
Opal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I am expecting a baby tomorrow, I will accept a deaf baby since we will share same id, and knows where to go as I am more expert than hearing mother of a deaf baby.
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
Deehamilton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile When expecting a child, would you want it to be deaf?

Myself and my husband are Deaf. We have three beautiful daughters. They are all Deaf. When i was pregnant, we didn't say we wanted Deaf or Hearing baby. All we want a healthy baby. We got the DNA genetic testing after the second one and found out that we have 50 percent of our children Deaf. The reason is for us to have Genetic testing, it was for medical reason. Deaf children didn't bother us. We love them to bits. Same goes if our baby born hearing we treat them with lot of love.
Deehamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:55 AM   #8
sr171soars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Under normal circumstances, one would ask "What kind of question is that?". I guess the situation isn't normal and I would have thought one would have said "When expecting a child, would you want it to be able hear?".

Oh well, I would think most people would like their child to be able to hear. I most certainly would. No matter what degree of deafness one has (except in the mildest manifestations), it is not an easy life.

As one pointed out, it goes without saying that I would accept the child as is...regardless of abilities or lack thereof. I have been blessed with two children who are hearing.
sr171soars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #9
Cloggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr171soars
Under normal circumstances, one would ask "What kind of question is that?". I guess the situation isn't normal and I would have thought one would have said "When expecting a child, would you want it to be able hear?".
Absolutely, but the question in in this form makes one think longer - like you did.
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
Cheri
Prayers for my dad.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I don't understand why it is a big deal about deaf children. To be honest this thread reminds me so much of my mother who called the hospital the day my son was born asking if my son was deaf or hearing, if he was deaf she was not gotta come to the hospital. You know some hearing parents starting to rub me the wrong way now.

If I was expecting a child, I would ONLY care about having a healthy baby, I don't care either way if my child would be deaf or hearing. Big deal likely some parents here. Good Grief so judgemental!
Avoid being a victim of a stroke, a stroke can happen to anyone at anytime. You will never know how devastating this could be until you had live through it. It affects everybody. So Support Stroke Awareness to find a cure and hope.
Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #11
Cloggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri

I don't understand why it is a big deal about deaf children. To be honest this thread reminds me so much of my mother who called the hospital the day my son was born asking if my son was deaf or hearing, if he was deaf she was not gotta come to the hospital. You know some hearing parents starting to rub me the wrong way now.

If I was expecting a child, I would ONLY care about having a healthy baby, I don't care either way if my child would be deaf or hearing. Big deal likely some parents here. Good Grief so judgemental!
Totally not my intention. I'm sorry to hear that your mother reacted the way she did. I cannot image behaving like that. Like you said, we all want a healthy baby, and I was blessed with 3, one of them was deaf.

But please do not assume that your mother is an example for all mothers of deaf children. She's the exception.
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #12
Cheri
Prayers for my dad.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Don't assume? What do you call this thread? This thread is one example of being judgemental. I wondered how your child would feel about that when they see you all talking about "wishing". Isn't that the same thing what my mother had done? Oh yeah It is. My mother was just like some of you here who would want a hearing child.
Avoid being a victim of a stroke, a stroke can happen to anyone at anytime. You will never know how devastating this could be until you had live through it. It affects everybody. So Support Stroke Awareness to find a cure and hope.
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #13
GalaxyAngel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cloggy,

Are you afraid of your child become to....

will you dare dump your child if she/he mental handicappid or Deaf or others?

Why do you care this thread about..
cause some of members felt about this really quite turned it off fast..

Ohhh I should have fix my 3 children become DEAF? Heck no.. I do love my precouisly children who they are hearing.. I ain't complain.

Do you expecting PERFECT A CHILD? *phhhfffttt* Give a break!

I've seen this thread long time ago.. oldest thread version 1 or 2 (actually I cannot remmy which verision by AD)

Are you afraid your child is DEAF.. you want fix your child become hearing person and who really your child's identify? What if your child's future and angrily at you why you implant me like a BORG? How can you deal w/your child's decision? Are you dare made your own decision and have your child implanted? Pro vs con ? Can you care discuss ?
*hmmmmm*

I've heard the historial stories who parent were dump a child who has mental handicap or Deaf or blind or else.. wha..ever name it.. and send a child to Oprhane home.. Made me sick!
They feel guility being thier child looks? Why can't you become "LOVING a CHILD"?

speak out w/me .. bring throw your feelings, why you bring this thread about.. ? Give this damn good reason!?

Parent's proud our children.
GalaxyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:34 AM   #14
Cloggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Don't assume? What do you call this thread? This thread is one example of being judgemental. I wondered how your child would feel about that when they see you all talking about "wishing". Isn't that the same thing what my mother had done? Oh yeah It is. My mother was just like some of you here who would want a hearing child.
When we were expecting it never occured to us that our child could be deaf. We never wished for anything except a healthy child. And it was. (I allready stated this in the beginning.)

But isn't wishing for a "healthy" child just as bad as wishing for a "hearing" child. Would you love the child any less if it was disabled?
Please, do not use your mother to compare people in the forum. It's too offensive.
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #15
GalaxyAngel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggy
No...

For me, when we were expecting it never occured to me that our child could be deaf. There's no history in the family.
But for any new pregnancies, I would like the child to be able to hear.

CUT THAT CRAP! your imagation.. I felt good that my history background whoever nobody have Deaf Child.. I felt better..

That r u sick!

No matter what, if came it up 1 out of 1 million.. For example alikely Down Sydrome.. wow unique a child.. can be smart and bright child..
Aren't you love your child who has Down Sydrome or not.? Do you prefer dump your child to ophrane home.. I think you're expecting PERFECT CHILD, what r u seek for!

I think you're...

Unread 03-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #16
Cheri
Prayers for my dad.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Please, do not use your mother to compare people in the forum. It's too offensive.

Then please don't compare deaf children and hearing children. It's offended me.
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:45 AM   #17
Cloggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyAngel
CUT THAT CRAP! your imagation.. I felt good that my history background whoever nobody have Deaf Child.. I felt better..

That r u sick!

No matter what, if came it up 1 out of 1 million.. For example alikely Down Sydrome.. wow unique a child.. can be smart and bright child..
Aren't you love your child who has Down Sydrome or not.? Do you prefer dump your child to ophrane home.. I think you're expecting PERFECT CHILD, what r u seek for!

I think you're...http://x2.putfile.com/1/3013064040.gif
Care to explain your obsession with orphanage? (Wrong spelling?)
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #18
Cloggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Then please don't compare deaf children and hearing children. It's offended me.
That's impossible. This whole forum is about that.

I'm really sorry I offended you, especially since this was absolutely not the intension. Far from it.
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #19
LakeTahoe

Location: Lost somewhere in the outer space!! Help me to find my way back home to earth!!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AMEN!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deehamilton
Myself and my husband are Deaf. We have three beautiful daughters. They are all Deaf. When i was pregnant, we didn't say we wanted Deaf or Hearing baby. All we want a healthy baby. We got the DNA genetic testing after the second one and found out that we have 50 percent of our children Deaf. The reason is for us to have Genetic testing, it was for medical reason. Deaf children didn't bother us. We love them to bits. Same goes if our baby born hearing we treat them with lot of love.
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #20
LakeTahoe

Location: Lost somewhere in the outer space!! Help me to find my way back home to earth!!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again, AMEN, Cheri!! I agreed with you!!

Quote:

Unread 03-29-2006, 10:00 AM   #21
PurrMeow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, myself as being pregnant, expect my child to be deaf, how could u say that? If my child born hearing or deaf, I accept. I ony expect my child to be healthy.
PurrMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #22
jshumko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
This is a trick question. I do not know how to answer it. I am past child bearing years now anyway, so I can't answer it, really.

I was born and raised hearing and in a hearing world. There are many wonderful sounds in this world, but I also was raised hearing things I wish I had never heard, things that messed me up for most of my life. There have been occasions I wished I were deaf.

There is not a soul on this planet who is perfect and who has or will have an easy life. It may appear easy for some, but some people are good at hiding their pain.

Based on my own experiences, I would not ask myself what I want my child to be. I would ask myself how will I be a good parent to that child.

Sorry for not answering your question. I don't think it should be answered.
jshumko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #23
GalaxyAngel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Care to explain your obsession with orphanage? (Wrong spelling?)
EXCUSE ME...
likely wow, you're perfect spelling..
So What..
Thank you for re-correctal sp.. btw why you care talking like that to me.. "
Your obession with orphanage" Hell no.. I've reading and heard about the orphange who parent doesn't want a child who have mental handicap or else... that where send a child to orphange..

I think, you're not reading carefully what am I saying..

{edited}

Last edited by Roadrunner; 03-29-2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Removal of 'direct' comment that's inappropriate--
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:20 AM   #24
PurrMeow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cloggy, its not nice to say such thing to Galaxy. I myself have adopt son who is hoh. Before I adopted him, my lawyer and others asked me alot of questions such as asked me if I accept child whom is handicapped, blind or deaf, or whatever. I told them I accept no matter because I really want to give a child alot of love that this child needs more love.
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:20 AM   #25
LakeTahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amen, GA! I do agreed with you 100%!!!!
*giving ya a high five*

Quote:
Cloggy,

Are you afraid of your child become to....

will you dare dump your child if she/he mental handicappid or Deaf or others?

Why do you care this thread about..
cause some of members felt about this really quite turned it off fast..

Ohhh I should have fix my 3 children become DEAF? Heck no.. I do love my precouisly children who they are hearing.. I ain't complain.

Do you expecting PERFECT A CHILD? *phhhfffttt* Give a break!

I've seen this thread long time ago.. oldest thread version 1 or 2 (actually I cannot remmy which verision by AD)

Are you afraid your child is DEAF.. you want fix your child become hearing person and who really your child's identify? What if your child's future and angrily at you why you implant me like a BORG? How can you deal w/your child's decision? Are you dare made your own decision and have your child implanted? Pro vs con ? Can you care discuss ?
*hmmmmm*

I've heard the historial stories who parent were dump a child who has mental handicap or Deaf or blind or else.. wha..ever name it.. and send a child to Oprhane home.. Made me sick!
They feel guility being thier child looks? Why can't you become "LOVING a CHILD"?

speak out w/me .. bring throw your feelings, why you bring this thread about.. ? Give this damn good reason!?
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:22 AM   #26
Cloggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
EXCUSE ME...
likely wow, you're perfect spelling..
So What..
Thank you for re-correctal sp.. btw why you care talking like that to me.. "
Your obession with orphanage" Hell no.. I've reading and heard about the orphange who parent doesn't want a child who have mental handicap or else... that where send a child to orphange..

I think, you're not reading carefully what am I saying..

{edited}
Jumping to conclusions!!!

I'm Dutch, I'm writing in a foreign language so I thought that I spelled it wrong. So I apologized for the confusion but I never commented on your spelling. Sorry you got that impression.

Last edited by Roadrunner; 03-29-2006 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Removal of previous 'comment' edited--
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #27
Cloggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurrMeow
Cloggy, its not nice to say such thing to Galaxy. I myself have adopt son who is hoh. Before I adopted him, my lawyer and others asked me alot of questions such as asked me if I accept child whom is handicapped, blind or deaf, or whatever. I told them I accept no matter because I really want to give a child alot of love that this child needs more love.
Confused... read my post to Galaxy
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #28
LakeTahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I got pregnant, we aren't sure if our child will be hearing or deaf. But deep in my heart I know our baby will be hearing. I accept who my child is. Deaf or hearing, anything, period! Why do God created us for???? Accept your child if she/he is deaf, hearing, blind, retard, etc etc!

I cannot believe you bought that up!!! *RME*
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #29
PurrMeow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cloggy?
Let me ask u a quick question, even if your child is deaf, or handicap or blind, are u scary of handling this child?
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:28 AM   #30
Teresh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Teresh Send a message via MSN to Teresh Send a message via Yahoo to Teresh
I'm not married, and at the moment I'm really not thinking about having kids that much. Still, if I were, I wouldn't care if my children were hearing or deaf. Regardless of which they were, they would need to accept that it's a bilingual household, so it doesn't really matter to me.
Teresh is offline   Reply With Quote