LOOK in this link and see what she ......

Castleman

Reaction score
said about deaf people
:shock:

http://crazeelime.livejournal.com/203366.html

Some of you might hate me after reading this.
Why do deaf people constantly hide behind the ADA law, yet bitch and whine about how they're treated as inferior beings?

It's because they don't take I. King Jordan's cheesy quote, "Deaf people can do anything but hear" seriously, as the majority of the deaf population has made no progress in the past ten years to improve their careers, if there were any to begin with, but instead sit on their couches like goddamn cripples, waiting for their SSI checks and food stamps to arrive in the mail every month; and after they spend long, hard days sitting on their fat asses in front of the computer meeting 15-year-olds in chatrooms, they finally recieve the government-issued money and spend it all on drugs and booze, which leads them to a visit at the hospital in order to get their stomachs pumped from excessive drinking, which they paid for with Medicare.

Oh, did I mention that they miss their college classes, which Vocational Rehabiliation (in other words, a government organization hardworking Americans' tax money goes to) paid for, to go to fun places like Six Flags, where they get 20% off from putting on a sad face and helplessly pointing to their ears to signify that they have a horrible life-threatening disability, guilting the clerk into giving them a discount. On their way home, they get pulled over for speeding, and the sad face once comes on (but with glazed-over eyes caused by a certain drug, courtesy of our fellow Americans' tax money) and their IQ suddenly drops down to a level of a vegetable's in a tremendous effort to frustrate the cop to an extent where he/she leaves them alone, which doesn't work as the stubborn cop issues them a ticket and a court date.

What happens next? Of course, they wail about how they're disregarded by society and how the world is out to get helpless disabled people such as themselves, but only until they realize that it's their own responsibility to get a sign language interpreter and they can use it to their own advantage.

So they purposefully wait until the night before the court date to phone the local interpreting agency to request an interpreter, then act all surprised when they're informed that they were supposed to hire an interpreter at least a week before the assigned date. So they go to court and once again put on a self-pitying face and cry about how the big meanie at the interpreting agency wouldn't let them get an interpreter and how the world hates them so much to an extent where they see a holocaust targeted at deaf people coming in the soon future. They'd continue to stand before the judge, sobbing their pathetic little eyes out and whining in incoherent speech until the court decides to dismiss their case out of sympathy or not wanting to go through all the trouble to issue another court date.

And deaf people walk away with a squeaky-clean driving record.

I will never understand how most deaf people seem to have no shame in acting helpless in order to get free money and discounts yet scream about how they're worthy of being treated like regular people when it comes to job opportunities.

I completely understand why most people, including myself (regardless the fact that I'm hard-of-hearing), don't take the majority of the deaf population seriously.

If you're deaf, and if you want a bit of respect from your own country then shut the fuck up and work for a living or start attaining your goals like a normal American then people will start taking you seriously. Oh, and don't get hit by a train like this idiot.

In a nutshell, that article is about an 18-year-old deaf girl from Texas who was walking less than foot away from the train tracks when a train hit and killed her.

There are so many things wrong with this scenario.

First of all, the train operator repeatedly sounded the horn as the train, which she had her back to, was approaching her and she didn't hear it, which is very understandable, but come on, what decent human being didn't feel three million tons of metal coming their way?!

Was she really that arrogant to think that the train, which probably held millions of stock/passengers which was likely to sum up to three hundred thousand pounds, if not even, would swerve to avoid hitting her, a mere one hundred and thirty pound female? Did she really expect nothing but a gust of wind if she walked less than a foot away from a moving train?

When Nate e-mailed me that article last night, I couldn't help but laugh for a good two minutes. Though I tried very hard, I couldn't bring myself to feel an ounce of solace for that girl because, frankly, I don't sympathize with people who lack common sense.

I might seem like a bitch, but honestly, I've always given many kudos to Darwin's "survival of the fittest" theory, and guess what? That girl didn't make the cut.

It's because of people like her and your usual whiny lobbyist-wannabe-but-is-too-lazy-to-actually-become-one deaf person that most people don't take the hearing-impaired population seriously.

This is what usually happens when I tell a person that I'm a filmmaker/film student:

Me: I'm a film student at Columbia College, and I make films too --
Person: OH MY GOD!!! You're going to, like, be a famous deaf filmmaker!!
Me: Um, yeah...
Person: And, ohmigosh, you can raise deaf awareness by having deaf actors and, oh, I KNOW, use Gallaudet as a setting!! Oh, and...
Me: (tunes out to that person's insignificant babble)

I get that a lot. A lot. You'd think that hearing it many times would probably convince me to have deaf people in my films.

Guess again.

First of all, I am not and will never take advantage of my disability to succeed, and I will especially not allow anyone to use me to raise awareness for their own "cause". If deaf people are truly passionate about spreading deaf awareness, then why don't they get off their fat asses and go outside for the first time in weeks and get the task done themselves instead of relying on their few successful peers, who already have their own lives and goals?

If I were percieved as talented and successful, I want it to be because of my ability to become an original filmmaker who is out to inspire the world, not because I keep myself in a little bubble called the deaf community.

No freaking way that'll happen.

I am disabled, but I will not let it define me. If you allow yourself to be represented by who you are rather than your inabilities, then you'd be a much better person.

Sweet mother of God, I love myself, but do I really have to be linked to these imbeciles through my disability?

Now it's time for me to visit the local 24-hour grocery store to pick up a few items, and the $.48 tax in my total will go to some "helpless" deaf person's cocaine stash.

Such is life.

What she said was pretty harsh, but she does make a few good points. That's all I'm going to say.

She does not know who she is herself, for one she judges herself. I feel pity on her.

I was laughing really hard as I read the article because I understood exactly what she was saying .... but then I became serious and angry. I did not like what she had to say especially when she mentioned Miss Deaf Texas.... I mean come on, man .... that wasn't right to say.

I thought when I first read that I thought of the post on another article on AllDeaf about The Onion... a funny satricial comedy but turns out that wasn't very funny at all.

She does have some good points there but to throw Tara in there wasn't right, man !!!! Not cool.

She has not walked a mile in the Deaf community's shoes !!!!

Heath said:
I was laughing really hard as I read the article because I understood exactly what she was saying .... but then I became serious and angry. I did not like what she had to say especially when she mentioned Miss Deaf Texas.... I mean come on, man .... that wasn't right to say.

I thought when I first read that I thought of the post on another article on AllDeaf about The Onion... a funny satricial comedy but turns out that wasn't very funny at all.

She does have some good points there but to throw Tara in there wasn't right, man !!!! Not cool.

She has not walked a mile in the Deaf community's shoes !!!!

We all know what is going on in our own community, but I had to remind myself that they are God's not ours. We had no right to judge others unless we are in their shoes. I feel pity for her.

VamPyroX said:
What she said was pretty harsh, but she does make a few good points. That's all I'm going to say.

:werd: To be quite honestly, I sometimes think that some deaf people are embarrassment to the community, how they go on with "pity me" I don't have a job, flying those sign language cards in my face. It rubs me the wrong way because I'm deaf and I don't want hearing people to think that deaf people can sure so negative about their hearing loss, making excuses that no job would hire them because of their hearing loss. They give up too easy instead of really looking at the right places. ;)

Cheri said:
:werd: To be quite honestly, I sometimes think that some deaf people are embarrassment to the community, how they go on with "pity me" I don't have a job, flying those sign language cards in my face. It rubs me the wrong way because I'm deaf and I don't want hearing people to think that deaf people can sure so negative about their hearing loss, making excuses that no job would hire them because of their hearing loss. They give up too easy instead of really looking at the right places. ;)

Yes it is true, many of us are still trying to fit in hearing world which it is not easy task.

In many other countries, they tend to hide their deaf child because they were shame to have deaf child. Here in USA we are truly lucky but we are still long away from reach the level of equal of everyone.

obvouisly that person doesn't UNDERSTAND what Deaf Community puropse for..

Give cut that crap..

Deaf People are try their best effort and find a job hard worker.. what more.. Hearing people doesn't want hire you because you're DEAF.. cut that crap!

That person is.. scumucks!

Weren't we just privy to a conversation about taking comments in one forum and using them in another? How is this any different?

While I may not agree with what she said, the person who wrote it is someone I've been friends with (in real life, not on the internet) for years. Posting what she said is one thing, but linking to her journal is kind of crossing the line, don't ya think?

Castleman said:
Actually, she is Hard of hearing, she could be mistaken for a hearing person . . So, i stand by on my opinion.

With hearing aids on, you're right, she could be considered hard of hearing. However, without them she is deaf. And, while I love her dearly, her speech is not clear enough that she would ever be mistaken for a hearing person.

:eek2: that's was pretty harsh, but I agree with Vampy and Cheri here, she does have a few good point...

:eek: Gee, I would like to know one thing. If this person who has spoke so harshly and so specific I may add. Where does she find the time to notice all these things, when she is supposed to be studying? Wanting to become a deaf filmmaker, doing all the thing a "good hard of hearing" person does. She has listed so many negative things about the deaf community, but, if she is so busy? How does she know exactly what deaf people are actually doing? Or not doing? This girl really needs an adjustment in life. What she has said, were pretty cruel things. But, I still can't understand where she finds the time to notice these things when she is supposed to be so busy making her life so perfect. Give me a break!!!! :zzz: I think I will take a nap now, she wore me out!!!!

Not all deaf people are on welfare. Not all priests are pediphiles. Not all preachers are in it for the money. She is simply lumping the deaf community in one basket. I have 5 deaf friends. Each is wonderfully unique. None of them are on SSI, and 3 of them have college degrees. My first instinct was to start a lynch mob, but I believe in free speech. She may be misguided, but this is her opinion. Maybe, we can change it if we post enough positive examples. :rifle:

Back