Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Travel & Leisure
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:17 PM   #1
Solo Cup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Europe

Who live in Europe or ever you went there for your tour?!?

Solo Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:18 PM   #2
kuifje75

Have lived in Germany for 5 months in 1996 and have been to Europe 4 times after that, 1997, 1997-98, 1999 and 1999-2000.
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
Solo Cup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kuifje75
Have lived in Germany for 5 months in 1996 and have been to Europe 4 times after that, 1997, 1997-98, 1999 and 1999-2000.
really? gain your experience when you lived in Germany and used to around in Europe? you love it?? tell me some of your experience.

today, i went to bookstore and bought a book about London. EVERYTHING in the book.. even a real map for tourist..its on sale..1.75..supposed to be 13 dollars..
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
prostock19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to prostock19 Send a message via Yahoo to prostock19
I went to West Germany (before the wall came down) and France back around....1983 to 1984. Can't remember exactly. All I know was I liked Germany better than France. LOL. I would like to go back again in the future.
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
Solo Cup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by prostock19
I went to West Germany (before the wall came down) and France back around....1983 to 1984. Can't remember exactly. All I know was I liked Germany better than France. LOL. I would like to go back again in the future.
really?? Wall Berlin is very emontail to watch on the tv!

why you like Germany intead France??
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #6
Beauty2Girls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here I have used lived in Europe, Ukraine (former USSR) all my childhood been in Warsaw, Poland, 3 times, now I am in USA for 4 years, would like to travel back in Europe someday.
Beauty2Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:36 PM   #7
Solo Cup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TommyGirl
Here I have used lived in Europe, Ukraine (former USSR) all my childhood been in Warsaw, Poland, 3 times, now I am in USA for 4 years, would like to travel back in Europe someday.
really? my friend take a risk to fly to europe from california..by herself..she say..some of area in europe is almost same from american..but mostly, not..

she met a guy over there and now, they lived in autrilaia..(sp?)
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:37 PM   #8
Solo Cup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gambit
yeah been to around New England... oh thats right im here in ny lol
ha..are you a new member of alldeaf?
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:38 PM   #9
prostock19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Wow, you have very good written English. How long have you studied English??
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:39 PM   #10
Beauty2Girls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jughead
really? my friend take a risk to fly to europe from california..by herself..she say..some of area in europe is almost same from american..but mostly, not..

she met a guy over there and now, they lived in autrilaia..(sp?)
Australia

Yeah, I landed here from Moscow, Russia, by myself I don't mind to fly back again alone
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:39 PM   #11
prostock19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
really?? Wall Berlin is very emontail to watch on the tv!

why you like Germany intead France??
Mostly, the attitude of the people. In Paris, people seemed very stuck up and stuff. Germany, people were alot nicer and more respectful.
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:40 PM   #12
kuifje75

Quote:
really? gain your experience when you lived in Germany and used to around in Europe? you love it?? tell me some of your experience.

today, i went to bookstore and bought a book about London. EVERYTHING in the book.. even a real map for tourist..its on sale..1.75..supposed to be 13 dollars..
Oh yes, definitely, it changed my life so much. I think it helped me to broaden my "Weltanschauung." I don't know how to explain this word, but it means view on the world, how you perceive it and so on. I have been to England, France, Holland, Belgium, Italy, Austria and Czech Republic. Each country has their own unique characters and really was cool to learn about!

As for the deaf ppl, I prefered France best of all. They were much more expressive in sign language and very friendly. In Germany, the deaf were more orally-geared. It was sometimes difficult to communicate with them.

I love and miss Europe very much, wish I could just drop everything here and move to there! People tend to do more sports, have their lives geared outside the home in the public (instead of staying home all day in front of the telly) and so on. I miss Germany, because the ppl there were just too crazy! I laughed so much when I was in Germany.
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:42 PM   #13
Solo Cup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Australia

Yeah, I landed here from Moscow, Russia, by myself I don't mind to fly back again alone
when you went by yourself...how it lead you at first?
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:42 PM   #14
kuifje75

Quote:
Mostly, the attitude of the people. In Paris, people seemed very stuck up and stuff. Germany, people were alot nicer and more respectful.
I don't agree with you. I love the French and thought that the Germans were very reserved and "cool" until when you got to know the Germans better.

I remember seeing East Germany after the Berlin Wall fell down. It was a huge construction zone, cranes everywhere and I remember the Berlin Wall... here's a pix of me with my good friend Doris next to the wall...
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:43 PM   #15
Beauty2Girls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Wow, you have very good written English. How long have you studied English??
thanks!
I know, at my work my boss said they are amazed and impressed with my English. I have studied it before came here but yet sign language when I am here met some deaf ppl I talked with them by writting they told me there is some books of ASL in Library I did, and met my husband who taught me signs also watched him and his older brother (is deaf too) talking by sign
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:44 PM   #16
kuifje75

oops clicked submit before attaching this photo...
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:44 PM   #17
prostock19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I don't agree with you. I love the French and thought that the Germans were very reserved and "cool" until when you got to know the Germans better.

I remember seeing East Germany after the Berlin Wall fell down. It was a huge construction zone, cranes everywhere and I remember the Berlin Wall... here's a pix of me with my good friend Doris next to the wall...
Look at the time difference. I was there like 10 years before you. Also, I was only in Paris...so maybe if I saw more of france, I would have liked it.
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:46 PM   #18
kuifje75

Quote:
Look at the time difference. I was there like 10 years before you. Also, I was only in Paris...so maybe if I saw more of france, I would have liked it.
No offense to you, of course, I was just disagreeing with you. A lot of Americans today still think French ppl are snooty and all, but I don't agree at all, I just don't see that way.
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:48 PM   #19
Beauty2Girls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
when you went by yourself...how it lead you at first?
not remmy but would say I wasn't worrying at all I know English well can read and write to talk with. When I landed in Seattle customer knew sign I didn't I told her by writting Sorry ofc, I'm deaf but not know any sign only write, pls, she was pleased to write and helpful.
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:50 PM   #20
Solo Cup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Oh yes, definitely, it changed my life so much. I think it helped me to broaden my "Weltanschauung." I don't know how to explain this word, but it means view on the world, how you perceive it and so on. I have been to England, France, Holland, Belgium, Italy, Austria and Czech Republic. Each country has their own unique characters and really was cool to learn about!

As for the deaf ppl, I prefered France best of all. They were much more expressive in sign language and very friendly. In Germany, the deaf were more orally-geared. It was sometimes difficult to communicate with them.

I love and miss Europe very much, wish I could just drop everything here and move to there! People tend to do more sports, have their lives geared outside the home in the public (instead of staying home all day in front of the telly) and so on. I miss Germany, because the ppl there were just too crazy! I laughed so much when I was in Germany.
wow...you can PM me and tell me SOME MORE! this summer, im planning to packbacking with my friend but one problem is, if her roommate's hubby coming back from LV..FORGET IT...im taking a risk to go to europe this summer..by myself..do you think its worth it even i dont know ANYONE in europe or other countires near to europe..

ahh, i noticed american always staying home a lot or whatever..in long time ago, i always see too many people around at the park..now, i see only few people is around at the park..more birds is around...ohh yeahh, i need "Weltanschauung"..!! so, how do you feel RIGHT AFTER you leave the country to usa?
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:52 PM   #21
Beauty2Girls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Europe

Quote:
Who live in Europe or ever you went there for your tour?!?
Are u thinking a visit in Europe one day?
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:56 PM   #22
Solo Cup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Europe

Quote:
Are u thinking a visit in Europe one day?
yep. this summer. hopefully.
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:56 PM   #23
kuifje75

If you want, I can put you in connection with some folks in Europe. Maybe you can meet with some folks and they can guide you around. If not, that's ok. Going solo, if you are a girl, is a bit risky, but Europe is generally very safe. If you have street smarts and all, then you should be fine. London is pretty safe. Maybe you can PM Waz, 'cos he's in England. Maybe he can give you some information on deaf events in London that you could go to. English ppl tend to love to go pub crawling and party hard, so beware! ha ha ha
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:58 PM   #24
Solo Cup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how much money to carry with myself to europe?

my friend have a risk to go to europe with about 1,000

i find a good price flight...256 dollars one trip LA to europe
Unread 05-10-2003, 06:01 PM   #25
kuifje75

I don't recommend to bring a lot of money on you. Better to bring traveller's cheques (if you lose it, it can be replaced) or ATM card that you use on machines. ATM will help you to get better exchange rate on money than changing money at a currency exchange bureau. In the past, I have always used my ATM card.
Unread 05-10-2003, 06:01 PM   #26
Beauty2Girls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
how much money to carry with myself to europe?

my friend have a risk to go to europe with about 1,000

i find a good price flight...256 dollars one trip LA to europe
Cheap trip! Good!

1,000 dollars for UKRaine and Russia, pretty much but Germany, France and UK
Unread 05-10-2003, 06:02 PM   #27
Solo Cup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
If you want, I can put you in connection with some folks in Europe. Maybe you can meet with some folks and they can guide you around. If not, that's ok. Going solo, if you are a girl, is a bit risky, but Europe is generally very safe. If you have street smarts and all, then you should be fine. London is pretty safe. Maybe you can PM Waz, 'cos he's in England. Maybe he can give you some information on deaf events in London that you could go to. English ppl tend to love to go pub crawling and party hard, so beware! ha ha ha
ohh! i would love to do anything fun. yes, im girl. im too idependent. im still reseach about europe.. ohh yes yes, i would love if you can introduce me to some of deaf people who live over there...
Unread 05-10-2003, 06:10 PM   #28
Solo Cup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I don't recommend to bring a lot of money on you. Better to bring traveller's cheques (if you lose it, it can be replaced) or ATM card that you use on machines. ATM will help you to get better exchange rate on money than changing money at a currency exchange bureau. In the past, I have always used my ATM card.
yeah, i dont like to have cash with myself...i heard they have a high taxes?
Unread 05-10-2003, 06:18 PM   #29
kuifje75

Quote:
ohh! i would love to do anything fun. yes, im girl. im too idependent. im still reseach about europe.. ohh yes yes, i would love if you can introduce me to some of deaf people who live over there...
Talked about that in the PM

You asked me... how do you feel RIGHT AFTER you leave the country to usa?

I really felt that I was a changed person, and view USA very differently now. I hate to say this, but I always cry when I return to the USA My friends feel the same, we have this little parties like we're all together knowing that one of us is sad to be back. Anyway... I probably just made 95% of members :madfawk: at me now
Unread 05-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #30
kuifje75

Quote:
yeah, i dont like to have cash with myself...i heard they have a high taxes?
Yes, they do have high taxes, called VAT (Value Added Taxes). If you save all receipts of things you bought in Europe, and take it to customs, you can claim your VAT back. It does depend though, like you cannot ask for refund of VAT you paid on restaurant or hotel, etc...

One good thing about Europe is that you don't have to figure out the tax at all. Prices already have taxes included in them. So, if you see a book for 4,99 euros, that is how much you pay for it, no taxes added, since taxes are already in there. On the receipt, it will tell you how much VAT you paid.