AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Deaf Products & Technologies > Relay Services
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 10-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
lonetundrawolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to lonetundrawolf Send a message via Yahoo to lonetundrawolf
Has anyone used the CapTel Relay Service

I have only been using this service for a little over a week, I must say it takes some getting use too.

Does anyone else use this service.....have a comment about them?
lonetundrawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-23-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Tousi

Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I have one; I've been a beta tester for this appliance for over 2 years and I like it.....
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
Dennis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Dennis
Have it, love it. Yeah, I think I remember that it took a bit getting used to, but now it's second nature.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 01:59 AM   #4
cabaca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cabaca
I use it for work and home and I like it alot. I got good speech and it saves me alot of time than TTY with relay svc. No more saying "GA" lol
cabaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
daloweman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Captel compatible with Vonage

Does anyone know if CapTel is compatible with VOIP such as Vonage?
daloweman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
Dennis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daloweman
Does anyone know if CapTel is compatible with VOIP such as Vonage?
You're supposed to call CapTel customer service with those kinds of questions. (888) 269-7477
Unread 11-27-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
horselover61

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do they have a website for it?? I would like to look it up. Thanks

http://furbyland.myminicity.com/
horselover61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
HiBluE01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to HiBluE01
No, I don't have it.
Unread 11-27-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
diehardbiker

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Is this what ya'all mean? http://www.captionedtelephone.com/index.phtml

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2005, 02:17 PM   #10
lonetundrawolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to lonetundrawolf Send a message via Yahoo to lonetundrawolf
What is the deal with 2 line state relay....no body seems to know how to make that work... Can you use the captel phone with two line state relay....

Thanks for any info
lonetundrawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2005, 06:52 PM   #11
Dennis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your state offers it, 2-Line CapTel means that you can use two telephone lines in your home to enhance CapTel so that:

1) You can turn captions on/off at any time during the call, and
2) No one needs to know the CapTel 800 number to call me, when they call me I just pick up the phone and the captions are connected on the second line.

There are a lot more benefits that even I didn't know about until you asked that questions. There's a FAQ here:

http://www.captionedtelephone.com/2linefaq.phtml

Again, it's only available in some states, I don't know how many but it looks like Virginia is one of them.
Unread 01-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #12
navyman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
If your state offers it, 2-Line CapTel means that you can use two telephone lines in your home to enhance CapTel so that:

1) You can turn captions on/off at any time during the call, and
2) No one needs to know the CapTel 800 number to call me, when they call me I just pick up the phone and the captions are connected on the second line.

There are a lot more benefits that even I didn't know about until you asked that questions. There's a FAQ here:

CapTel - The Captioned Telephone

Again, it's only available in some states, I don't know how many but it looks like Virginia is one of them.
I recently looked at the captel website and was intrigued by the 2-line captel feature. Although I'm pretty happy with using VRS for telecom purposes because of the ability to understand the emotional nuances through an interpreter, I am thinking about trialing a captel at work to see how well it works. My wife and I did participate in a captel trial in our home in Maryland a few years ago, but we were not impressed with the quality of translation by the captioning process. When we switched over to Vonage, it rendered the captel device totally useless, so the $595 captel was sent back to Ultratec with a "thanks, but no thanks" note. I hope that the quality of captel has improved since then. Can anyone vouch for captel quality and effectiveness, especially in comparison to using VRS?

Thanks,

navyman
navyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 02:31 AM   #13
Taric25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Taric25 Send a message via MSN to Taric25 Send a message via Yahoo to Taric25
Post Captel with Vonage and vs VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyman View Post
When we switched over to Vonage, it rendered the captel device totally useless, so the $595 captel was sent back to Ultratec with a "thanks, but no thanks" note.
That was a probelm with your Vonage service. You should have contacted Ultratech about that. Here's what you can do, to get your CapTel to work with Vonage.

Remove any routers, existing house wiring, splitters, etc. and ensure the Vonage adapter is connected directly to the Cable/DSL modem and directly to the CapTel. Connect all your other equipment, such as a router, to the redundant "Ethernet" jack, on the Vonage adapter.

1) Log into your Vonage account at http://www.vonage.com
2) Click on "Feature"
3) Click "Configure" at Bandwidth Saver options
4) Move slider towards "Highest Sound Quality"

If you still have problems, Vonage on how to disable the "Bandwidth Saver" feature for your VoIP line or setup for "Highest Sound Quality". If you're still having problems, contact Ultratech.

Quote:
I hope that the quality of captel has improved since then.
CapTel call quality improves on a daily basis. I remember it was not as good as when I recently used it. I also noticed that Spanish captions are not as good as the English ones. (I also speak Spanish.) This is because the Spanish captioners are not as experianced, with FastTran voice recognition software, as the English captioners, because they don't get as many calls. Except for Federal VRS, Spanish CapTel is the only relay service that is not 24 hours. I've also noticed that the captions differ highly, depending on the individual captioner. I've called CapTel Customer Service many times to praise wonderful captioners and complain about bad captioners. If you don't let them know, they won't know how to improve the service.
Quote:
Can anyone vouch for captel quality and effectiveness, especially in comparison to using VRS?
CapTel and VRS are very different, but in order to compare "Apples-to-Apples" ("the same things"), I'll compate VRS with VCO to CapTel.

CapTel gives you exactly every word the Hearing person says. This can be good, because it gives you the exact message, however, if English is not your first language, you may have a difficult time understanding idioms. CapTel does not subject you to the mercy of a specific interpreter's interpretation of what the Hearing person says. For example, I remember I was speaking with one of my friends in Spanish with VRS with VCO, and my friend said something I didn't understand. I had to tell my friend to hold on, while the interpreter gave me a different interpretation. I still did not understand, so the interpreter fingerspelled it, and I understood it. You do not have this problem with CapTel, because every captioner will caption almost exactly the same... almost. CapTel usually has a 2-3 second delay, where VRS has almost no delay, but addresses and proper names can be a nightmare in VRS (unless you're using Hands On VRS with AIM or Videosign, CSD VRS with a webcam or VP call, or i711 VRS, where the interpreter can type it). In addition, VRS interpreters are more dependant on asking Hearing people to repeat themselves, whereas CapTel captioners cannot, so you may notice that captions are correct the first time around, but in a VRS call, the interpreter may ask the Hearing person to repeat. Also, CapTel allows you to save the entire conversation. If you have CapTel with USB, you can even save it on your computer or print it. It's editable text. The major downfall to CapTel is, unless you have good residual hearing, you cannot destinguish the caller's tone as easily as you can from Sign Language. CapTel also allows you to call absolutely anyone, including relay. You cannot call relay with VRS. For example, if you call one of your Deaf friends on the videophone, but your Deaf friend doesn't answer, the videophone does not have an answering machine. If your friend has a i2eye videophone or webcam, then your Deaf friend will not know you called. If your Deaf friend has a Sorenson videophone, the only thing the your Deaf friend will see is "missed call". If you have CapTel, you can call VRS, with your CapTel, to leave your Deaf friend a video e-mail, and your Deaf friend can be notified via both e-mail and pager, such as the Sidekick. Also, if your state allows for translation, you can either use STS (Speech-to-Speech) or switch your CapTel to VCO mode, to speak with someone in another language, such as Spanish or French, and the relay operator will translate. Although it is possible to use VRS for Spanish, there is not French VRS. Also, you cannot call relay with VRS, so if you want to make a relay call, such as calling a TTY user, that is not possible with VRS. It is possible with CapTel. CapTel also allows you to get captions for an external answering machine, whereas VRS does not.

My solution is simple. Why not use both? I already have a videophone, but I'm going to apply for a CapTel with USB soon. One of my Hard-of-Hearing friends uses VRS with CapTel. He uses VRS with VCO, and his VCO is a CapTel. That way, he can read the captions during the call for added clarity as well as save the conversation.

Mr. Taric Sam Alani
Taric25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 06:55 AM   #14
navyman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taric25 View Post
That was a probelm with your Vonage service. You should have contacted Ultratech about that. Here's what you can do, to get your CapTel to work with Vonage.

Remove any routers, existing house wiring, splitters, etc. and ensure the Vonage adapter is connected directly to the Cable/DSL modem and directly to the CapTel. Connect all your other equipment, such as a router, to the redundant "Ethernet" jack, on the Vonage adapter.

1) Log into your Vonage account at Vonage - Leading the Internet Phone Revolution
2) Click on "Feature"
3) Click "Configure" at Bandwidth Saver options
4) Move slider towards "Highest Sound Quality"
I was an early adopter of the Vonage service which means I got the Cisco ATA186 adapter. This adapter does not have a redundant RJ-45 jack, so it has to be tied into either the router or the hub. Are you aware of an alternative Vonage adapter that does have redundant RJ-45 jacks?

I've never used the bandwidth saver feature thanks to a nice internet pipe courtesy of Comcast.

Quote:
I'll compare VRS with VCO to CapTel.

CapTel gives you exactly every word the Hearing person says. This can be good, because it gives you the exact message, however, if English is not your first language, you may have a difficult time understanding idioms. CapTel does not subject you to the mercy of a specific interpreter's interpretation of what the Hearing person says. For example, I remember I was speaking with one of my friends in Spanish with VRS with VCO, and my friend said something I didn't understand. I had to tell my friend to hold on, while the interpreter gave me a different interpretation. I still did not understand, so the interpreter fingerspelled it, and I understood it. You do not have this problem with CapTel, because every captioner will caption almost exactly the same... almost. CapTel usually has a 2-3 second delay, where VRS has almost no delay, but addresses and proper names can be a nightmare in VRS (unless you're using Hands On VRS with AIM or Videosign, CSD VRS with a webcam or VP call, or i711 VRS, where the interpreter can type it). In addition, VRS interpreters are more dependant on asking Hearing people to repeat themselves, whereas CapTel captioners cannot, so you may notice that captions are correct the first time around, but in a VRS call, the interpreter may ask the Hearing person to repeat. Also, CapTel allows you to save the entire conversation. If you have CapTel with USB, you can even save it on your computer or print it. It's editable text. The major downfall to CapTel is, unless you have good residual hearing, you cannot destinguish the caller's tone as easily as you can from Sign Language. CapTel also allows you to call absolutely anyone, including relay. You cannot call relay with VRS. For example, if you call one of your Deaf friends on the videophone, but your Deaf friend doesn't answer, the videophone does not have an answering machine. If your friend has a i2eye videophone or webcam, then your Deaf friend will not know you called. If your Deaf friend has a Sorenson videophone, the only thing the your Deaf friend will see is "missed call". If you have CapTel, you can call VRS, with your CapTel, to leave your Deaf friend a video e-mail, and your Deaf friend can be notified via both e-mail and pager, such as the Sidekick. Also, if your state allows for translation, you can either use STS (Speech-to-Speech) or switch your CapTel to VCO mode, to speak with someone in another language, such as Spanish or French, and the relay operator will translate. Although it is possible to use VRS for Spanish, there is not French VRS. Also, you cannot call relay with VRS, so if you want to make a relay call, such as calling a TTY user, that is not possible with VRS. It is possible with CapTel. CapTel also allows you to get captions for an external answering machine, whereas VRS does not.
I very much appreciate you taking the time to provide a detailed comparison. I used to use FM to use the phone in the past, but with my residual hearing degrading every time I blasted it with the superamplification that FM facilitates, it rendered me profoundly deaf for a couple of days until the inner ear could recover to some extent. This has led me to make the decision to no longer use FM-enabled amplification in order to preserve whatever residual hearing I have for as long as possible. As such, I would not be able to take advantage of relying on voice intonation to capture nuances of of the spoken word rendered in text by the CapTel.

Quote:
My solution is simple. Why not use both? I already have a videophone, but I'm going to apply for a CapTel with USB soon. One of my Hard-of-Hearing friends uses VRS with CapTel. He uses VRS with VCO, and his VCO is a CapTel. That way, he can read the captions during the call for added clarity as well as save the conversation.
That's a pretty cool setup to use both VRS and the CapTel at the same time, and concurrently take advantage of the benefits each type of service offers. Since Federal Deafies can obtain a Captel for free, I may just give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion!
Unread 01-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #15
Taric25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Taric25 Send a message via MSN to Taric25 Send a message via Yahoo to Taric25
Post Federal CapTel swap

Quote:
Are you aware of an alternative Vonage adapter that does have redundant RJ-45 jacks?
Yes, I myself use Vonage, and I have Motorola VT2142, which supports 2 phone lines and has a redundant ethernet jack.
Quote:
I've never used the bandwidth saver feature thanks to a nice internet pipe courtesy of Comcast.
I love Comcast. I have BrightHouse, which runs through RoadRunner now, and it's even faster.

Anyway, you should still double check that the slider bar is moved all the way towards "Highest Sound Quality", just to be sure.
Quote:
That's a pretty cool setup to use both VRS and the CapTel at the same time, and concurrently take advantage of the benefits each type of service offers. Since Federal Deafies can obtain a Captel for free, I may just give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion!
You're welcome. The setup works best with 2-Line Captel, as most interpreters are uncomfortable about calling the toll-free number for CapTel, to establish VCO, but I have convinced many of them to do it. With 2-Line CapTel, it's a lot easier. Also, your state's Telecommunications Access Program may also allow you to get a free CapTel.

If I were you, here's what I'd do. I'd apply for both, and then I'd use the state-provided CapTel at work and the Federal CapTel at home. That way, with 1-line CapTel, you don't have to pay for long distance! I know you have Vonage, but I think it also applies for international calls.

Mr. Taric Sam Alani
Unread 01-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #16
GraysonPeddie
Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hoping to have a CapTel for cell phones, but I don't think they will have it available for cell phones pretty soon.
GraysonPeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #17
Taric25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post CapTel Cell Phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
I'm hoping to have a CapTel for cell phones, but I don't think they will have it available for cell phones pretty soon.
Actually, I was just talking to Illinois Relay Account Manager, Mrs. Emma Danielson today, about that, on the videophone. She said that Ultratech is developing a wireless CapTel. How people will get it through their state relay programs, I have no idea.

Mr. Taric Sam Alani
Unread 01-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #18
GraysonPeddie
Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wireless CapTel... Do I have to connect it to a cell phone, just like an Ameriphone Q90-D TTY (it's a portable TTY but I had to set my cell phone to analog in order to get Q90-D TTY to work)?
Unread 01-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
Taric25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation No Idea About Wireless CapTel

Quote:
Wireless CapTel... Do I have to connect it to a cell phone, just like an Ameriphone Q90-D TTY (it's a portable TTY but I had to set my cell phone to analog in order to get Q90-D TTY to work)?
I have no idea. It's still in development.

Mr. Taric Sam Alani
Unread 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #20
GraysonPeddie
Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay,
Unread 01-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #21
Taric25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrow CapTel Customer Service

For more information, contact CapTel.

Ultratec, Inc.
Attn: CapTel Customer Service
450 Science Drive Ste 4
Madison, WI 53711-1166
1-888-269-7477 Voice/CapTel (English)
1-866-670-9134 Voice/Voz/CapTel (Spanish/Espaņol)
1-800-482-2424 TTY
1-608-238-3008 Fax (Madison, WI)
CapTel@CapTelMail.com
CapTel - The Captioned Telephone

Mr. Taric Sam Alani
Unread 01-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #22
javapride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i do use the captel when i have NO time to get on vp or is making a short message OR leaving message and sometimes if i get a call i'd let them know i would call them back the only issue i have is, wheni get the call the captions doesn't come on UGH but when i do call it comes on, umm did i miss something here? suse me for being blond LOL!
javapride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #23
GraysonPeddie
Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went into CapTel website, watched the video about CapTel, and I really like it a lot! I saw a child who said that he went to Walt Disney World and he enjoyed Space Mountain! Sorry for going a bit off-topic but it made me feel excited to try out CapTel. I hope UltraTec are still developing wireless CapTel, so I don't have to worry about using my Blackberry and get rid of Vonage service.
Unread 01-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #24
Taric25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Captioning Service Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by javapride View Post
wheni get the call the captions doesn't come on UGH but when i do call it comes on, umm did i miss something here?
You're using CapTel with only 1 phone line, right? Didn't you watch the instructional video or read the manual that came with your CapTel? When a Hearing person calls you, they have to dial the toll-free number for the captioning service, then enter your 10-digit phone number. If you use 2-Line CapTel, then Hearing people do not need to dial the toll-free number. They can just call you directly. If Hearing people call the Spanish number, you will receive captions in Spanish. (Captioners will not translate Spanish to English.) If you live in California or Texas, Hearing people call the number for your state, except Federal. If Hearing people call the Federal number, they do not have to list an agency, and they do not have to pay long distance. If Spanish-speaking Hearing people are calling from another country, they dial their international access code, then the international Spanish number.

Captioning Service
1-877-243-2823 (USA)
1-888-801-7210 (USA) (Federal)
1-866-217-3362 (USA) (Spanish/Español)
1-866-399-9050 (California)
1-866-399-9090 (California) (Spanish/Español)
1-800-933-5129 (Texas)
1-800-933-5417 (Texas) (Spanish/Español)
+1-608-204-2795 (International) (Spanish/Español)

Mr. Taric Sam Alani
Unread 01-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #25
navyman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taric25 View Post
Yes, I myself use Vonage, and I have Motorola VT2142, which supports 2 phone lines and has a redundant ethernet jack.I love Comcast. I have BrightHouse, which runs through RoadRunner now, and it's even faster.

Anyway, you should still double check that the slider bar is moved all the way towards "Highest Sound Quality", just to be sure.You're welcome. The setup works best with 2-Line Captel, as most interpreters are uncomfortable about calling the toll-free number for CapTel, to establish VCO, but I have convinced many of them to do it. With 2-Line CapTel, it's a lot easier. Also, your state's Telecommunications Access Program may also allow you to get a free CapTel.

If I were you, here's what I'd do. I'd apply for both, and then I'd use the state-provided CapTel at work and the Federal CapTel at home. That way, with 1-line CapTel, you don't have to pay for long distance! I know you have Vonage, but I think it also applies for international calls.
Again thanks for all the helpful info. I have a few more questions:

* Do you currently use the CapTel at home? If so, is it used solely on your Vonage service and is it 1- or 2-way CapTel?

* If it's 2-way CapTel, did you have to get a 2nd Vonage account to make it 2-line? I suppose Vonage's "fax" line for $10/mo. would work as a 2nd line?

* How does swapping the Fed and State CapTel devices go around the long-distance calls issue (in my case, no international calls are required)? I would only go for the 2-line CapTel at both my work and home locations to avoid the dual number dialing scheme.

TIA,

navyman
Unread 01-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #26
GraysonPeddie
Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't have to have additional accounts for additional lines. You can have as many phone lines as you like for your account. For example -- a2-Line 2-Way CapTel for Motorola VT2442 with a fax which connects to http://www.vonage.com/device.php?type=DLINKVTA]D-Link VTA but if you have a Motorola VT2142, then you will have to have a router to connect the VTA so you can have up to 4 lines.
Unread 01-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #27
Taric25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Do you currently use the CapTel at home? If so, is it used solely on your Vonage service and is it 1- or 2-way CapTel?
No, I don't. I'm actually going to apply for it under my father's name, since has more hearing loss than I do. He's on vacation, so I'm waiting for him to get back.
Quote:
If it's 2-way CapTel, did you have to get a 2nd Vonage account to make it 2-line? I suppose Vonage's "fax" line for $10/mo. would work as a 2nd line?
I think you mean 2-Line CapTel, not "2-way CapTel". I wasn't sure, so I checked the website. Vonage's fax line, for $10/month has 250 outgoing minutes and unlimited incoming, however, from the CapTel troubleshooting FAQ on 2-Line CapTel, the number that the CapTel dials for the captioning service, in 2-Line mode, is toll free. I called Vonage and I asked the refresentative, "If I get the fax line, and I send a fax a toll-free number, does it still take from the 250 minutes, or is it free?" "May I please place you on hold while I check?" she asked. "Sure," I responded, and a minute later, she answered, "Yes, sir, it would be free and not take from your 250 minutes." That's great news, because CapTel users can use it for 2-Line CapTel. Also, since you can turn the captions on and off anytime with 2-Line CapTel, even during a call, if you really do have a fax machine hooked up to the second line, and you want to send someone a fax, while you're on the phone you can just put that person on hold and turn off the captions while you send the fax, and then you can turn the captions back on take the person off hold, to continue your conversation.
Quote:
How does swapping the Fed and State CapTel devices go around the long-distance calls issue (in my case, no international calls are required)? I would only go for the 2-line CapTel at both my work and home locations to avoid the dual number dialing scheme.
If you use your Federal Captel at home, and you need to make an international call, you can use it in 1-Line mode, to make free long distance calls. The GSA (General Services Administration), not NECA (National Exchange Carrier Association), pays for Federal CapTel calls, including long distance charges, unlike state relay that does not pay for long distance charges. I think international calls are also free, but don't quote me on it.

Either way, whether you use a State or Federal CapTel at home, even if its in two line mode, if a Hearing person calls 1-888-801-7210, for Federal CapTel, when you answer, even if your CapTel is in 2-Line mode, you will still connect, and your CapTel will switch to 1-Line mode. This is useful if someone needs to call you toll free, such as from a pay phone. It's much better than calling collect!
Quote:
You don't have to have additional accounts for additional lines. You can have as many phone lines as you like for your account. For example -- a2-Line 2-Way CapTel for Motorola VT2442 with a fax which connects to D-Link VTA [sic] but if you have a Motorola VT2142, then you will have to have a router to connect the VTA so you can have up to 4 lines.
Yes, that's what were talking about, adding a fax line, for 2-Line CapTel, however, you suggest connecting a using a router, to connect to the Vonage adapter. That's a bad idea, because the call quality will too low to support the captions. If you need to use a router, to share a connection with a computer and/or videophone, it's best you use the redundant ethernet jack, in order to connect the router.

Mr. Taric Sam Alani
Unread 01-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #28
GraysonPeddie
Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
QThat's what QoS (Quality of Service) comes to play for D-Link VTA because it doesn't have a redundant ethernet port to connect to your router's WAN port or to your PC. If you have a D-Link VTA, you have to have a router and enable QoS. Otherwise, Motorola VT2142 or Motorola VT2442. QoS gives prority to online games, VoIP, etc.
Unread 01-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #29
Taric25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post QoS and CapTel with VoIP

Quote:
QThat's what QoS (Quality of Service) comes to play for D-Link VTA because it doesn't have a redundant ethernet port to connect to your router's WAN port or to your PC. If you have a D-Link VTA, you have to have a router and enable QoS. Otherwise, Motorola VT2142 or Motorola VT2442. QoS gives prority to online games, VoIP, etc.
Thank you for that information. The Vonage website does not recommend using QoS. In fact, they do not recommend using anything between the cable/DSL modem and the Vonage adapter. Instead, they recommend one of their products, with a redundant Ethernet port. I would, however, be interested to see how QoS works with CapTel.

Mr. Taric Sam Alani
Unread 01-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #30
GraysonPeddie
Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it seems like Vonage doesn't recommend D-Link VTA, which requires a router since it doesn't have a rendundant port...never throught about that...