This should be required reading for everyone...

DreamDeaf

Reaction score
Got this email just a few hours ago - I thought it was very well written, and worthy of a thread of its own...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Malicious Lies: Slander and Gossip in the Deaf Community

By Frank James John Lala, Jr., Ph.D.

The Deaf community is so closely-knit that it's relatively easy for it to become both an open public and tabloid platform for malicious slanderers and gossipers. Deaf persons with grudges who are envious and full of anger or resentment can perform vicious character assassination through slander or gossip. Such a hotbed of gossip and destructive rumor-mongering only hurts the Deaf community as a whole.

Many resentful, babbling busybodies don't even know the person at whom the gossip is directed. Slanderers and gossipers perform their vicious acts for their own ulterior motives; usually the motivation is resentment, anger or pure envy of another person. But others will recognize the slanderer or gossiper for what he or she is: an irresponsible person with attitude problems and severe character deficiencies, inhabiting a shallow world of back-stabbing and stating negative thoughts about others.

Unfortunately, it is human nature to repeat gossip. It is only enhanced by the storyteller through his or her biased imagination, and always contributes to our self-destruction. Gossip, or slander, is always a personal confession of the contributor's own malice and imbecility; it is a low, frivolous, and most often a highly dirty business. No one is safe from it. Each and every one of us comes with quirks, idiosyncrasies, flaws and personal peccadilloes which others can easily attack and use for ludicrous acts of character assassination.

To define terms: slander is any words spoken with malice that are not provably true and which prejudice the reputation or professional practice of another person. Gossip is the act of engaging in the spreading of slander, and is usually riddled with lies and insinuations.

Imagine the following scenario: a couple breaks up, due to compatibility, as one doesn't want to marry the other. The one who feels rejected deeply resents the other, and attacks his or her character. Slanderers often use rank generalizations, which are simply exaggerations of small truths. Ignorant friends become unwitting pawns in this game, and through gossip spread the slanderer's untrue or inaccurate version of reality. It takes your enemy (the slanderer) and your friends (the gossipers) working together to hurt or destroy your reputation; the one to concoct the stories, and the others to spread them. The slander in this scenario is merely plain old-fashioned anger at the breakup.

The National Enquirer could learn the arts of slander and gossip from talking to the Deaf community! Recently, a guy with an attitude problem was gossiping about Yours Truly in Arizona. He was so easily duped that he fell for a slanderer's story hook, line, and sinker. However, it only backfired on him, as he had unwittingly become a victim of vicious gossip himself. The Deaf community in Arizona had a field day gossiping about his pronouncedly dubious background. The moral: it doesn't pay to slander or gossip about someone else!

Another example: In 2000, I was attending a National Association of the Deaf conference in Norfolk, Virginia. I was interested in a mental health workshop. A Deaf lady, whom I will call "Vicki," was at the workshop. She repeatedly attacked me as a person, disliking my work and proposals, and insisted I was not doing enough for the Deaf community. She seemed to resent me because I was not able to attend a substance abuse workshop in New Jersey. She was very disrespectful and made several unflattering remarks about me. My female companion was furious at "Vicki." What boggles the mind is that "Vicki" works as a mental health counselor! Her behavior certainly left a lot to be desired. She needs to read Dale Carnegie's and Norman Vicent Peale's books. "Vicki" will never win friends or influence people with her shallow attitude.

Sadly, even deaf Christians know better but are guilty of being gossipers. And the Bible clearly frowns on slander and gossip.

"He who conceals his hatred has lying lips, and whoever spreads slander is a fool." - Proverbs 10:18

"Do not go about spreading (gossip) slander among your people." -- Leviticus 19:16

"Whom are you mocking? At whom do you smear and stick out your tongue? Are you not a brood of rebels, the offspring of liars?" - Isaiah 57:4

Gossipers, BEWARE!

Whoever you gossip with will eventually gossip about you. Read and respect the following short pieces, and see the light!

MY NAME IS GOSSIP

I have no respect for justice. I maim without killing, I break hearts, and ruin lives. I am cunning, malicious, and gather strength with age. The more I am quoted, the more I am believed. I flourish at every level of society, and my victims are helpless. They cannot protect themselves against me, because I have no name and no face. To track me down is impossible. The harder you try, the more elusive I become. I am nobody's friend. Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same.
I topple governments and wreck marriages. I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights, create heartaches, and foster indigestion. I spawn suspicion, and generate grief. I make innocent people cry into their pillows at night. Even my name hisses with evil. I am called Gossip. I make headlines and headaches. Remember, before you repeat a story, ask yourself: is it true? Is it fair? Is it necessary? If not, do not repeat it, KEEP QUIET. --Author Unknown < /DIV>

And remember this: Great minds...discuss ideas. Average minds...discuss events: Shallow minds...discuss people. Which are you? --Ann Landers

When people gossip about successful Deaf people, our whole community suffers. "Crab Theory," by Deaf Life editor Matthew S. Moore, refers to the destructive practice of Deaf people pulling and putting down successful Deaf persons. This is done through vicious gossip (back-stabbing), spreading false rumors (slander), sending hateful e-mails, etc. It's based on a real-life phenomenon: when crabs are captured and tossed into a bucket, if one crab tries to escape by crawling up the inside of the bucket, the other crabs pull it back down. It's probably instinctive, a panic response on their part.

So no crabs ever escape. This behavior in crabs is widely held to be a myth, but has been observed. The problem of "Crab Theory" is not unique to the Deaf community. And when successful Deaf leaders complain about the lack of support and downright hostility they encounter from members of their own Deaf communities, that's crab theory.

Here is just a partial list of known victims of slander and gossip in the Deaf community: actress Marlee Matlin, Miss America Heather Whitestone, Dr. Ben Soukup of CSD, Dr. David McKee, Gallaudet University President Dr. I. King Jordan, and countless other prominent Deaf individuals, including Yours Truly.

Remember, before you repeat a story about someone, ask yourself: would I want this sort of thing said about me? If not, do not use the story as a tool to hurt someone else. You never know when something truly damaging can be said about you, too.

Very good and well written, right down to the minute detail(s)....it's something I abhor and vehemously loathe doing...sure, I'm guilty of doing so long ago when I was younger...but have since gotten on the right path...in dire hopes that others will get the respect I give them as much as I can get back...although, I must add, there sure have been times that I've been knocked about badly with slanderous comments in the past, yet, instead of retaliating against them, I just *dust it off* and pull myself back up and move forward the best I can! :) Eventually in most cases, it'll wind down and fade away, forgotten....

Thus, all in all, Life's surely very indeed precious! Handle with CARE!!

Thanks for sharing this excerpt here in AD DreamDeaf.... :thumb:

Tis always a good idea to keep problems between two persons, and not get involved. I think too many people make that mistake. Making assumptions and jumping into conclusion based on circumstanial evidence or hearsay can also be a terrible problem. Circular arguments suck, too. But don't let that stop us from sharing our ideas with each other. :) Let cards fall where they may.

Rest of case are same....

Human beings for ?

Hearing people are same thing gossip includes Deaf community.. Not only the ones..

Fact.. Yes true!

Thanks DD to share this.....

I was trying to tell some of deafies.. that we need to slow down or chill out on the gossip.. but it already became out of hand.. like RR said "dust it off" so I backed out and moved on to my precious important family to focus on..

Sadly to see my friends fell apart or went through that..

I hope some deafies who are involve like this.. read this.. :D

Thanks again DD

I do love to social with deaf community but I rather limit myself to social with some of them cuz deafies tend to either jump conclusion or cause more gossip/rumors among the deaf community...

That's wholehearted true. That's exactly why strong deaf community members slandered behind my back since I was from the mainstreamed schools. I do not need to join any deaf clubs anymore. Wow, the deaf clubs declines. That's correct. Thanks to the innovation technology...

Bullym0m said:
Rest of case are same....

Human beings for ?

Hearing people are same thing gossip includes Deaf community.. Not only the ones..

Fact.. Yes true!
:( I myself am hearing, I am a CODA, I am married to a man who is deaf. I have had a male deaf friend for 38 years who has always been my best friend. His feelings apparently changed for me, from friendship to something more than friendship. In short, he tried to break up my marriage and I wouldn't let him.
Well, instead of backing off, and respecting the true vows of marriage, he instead, gossiped about me to all of the deaf community (this is the shallow minded theory), if I was at the same deaf function he was at, he would show off in front of me, act silly, and when I tried to talk to him, he would pull an attitude on me.
Then the threats started on my pager, he would email me at least 60 threats a day, to hurt me, tell everyone what a bad person I was (thank God the deaf community knows me), that I ended up having to call the pager company to report him. He came to my house last June 7, 2004 and in front of my father,while we were outside, pulled up in front of my house, tried to say that he heard from 2 other deaf females that I gossiped about him (I have better things to do than gossip), he came out of his truck, and walked right up to me with his index finger in my face, luckily my cell phone was in my pocket and I called the police. The police came, they made out a restraining order to protect me from him, and all because of this petty envy, jealousy and not being able to accept the fact that I would not leave my husband for him, 38 years of friendship is now gone, dead and buried, and I feel so hurt now, because he was really a great person who turned sour because of his shallow mind.
Gossip, slander and backstabbing is a very hurtful thing, and it ruins a relationship whether it be friendship or more. This is something that will never go away, but, the feeling of losing a close friendship of more than 35 years will live inside me forever.
I just thank God that because of his slanderous actions, it did not turned the deaf community against me, but worse, the deaf community trusts this man less and less now and he is considered a liar, big mouth and an unworthy character, all because of his actions.
I just pray that one day he will see the light and realize what he did wrong to hurt a longtime friendship, because friendships like these are so few.

wow, that's a good article about deaf community, sounds a little scary because I hate the word gossip. Hmmm, that's why deaf clubs die out because they self destruct themselves and things don't last.

tell ya truth I dont believe that because Deaf community is not ONLY community that is doing slandering and gossip...but other than that it is true and best to avoid from people who keep get in trouble or have too much problems (I mean gossip problems).

nozobo said:
I do love to social with deaf community but I rather limit myself to social with some of them cuz deafies tend to either jump conclusion or cause more gossip/rumors among the deaf community...
exactly what i do too...

Shiva said:
tell ya truth I dont believe that because Deaf community is not ONLY community that is doing slandering and gossip...but other than that it is true and best to avoid from people who keep get in trouble or have too much problems (I mean gossip problems).

You're correct about the fact that the Deaf community isn't the only community that participates in the slandering/gossiping however you forget that the Deaf exposes much more than they need to when it comes to the problem at hand. The Deaf goes off topic when they argue and they add fuel to the fire & get involved when they should back off and they spread rumours about someone they do not even know at all which makes it even look so bad for them, period. Picture this, the Deaf community is so tiny compared to the hearing community. You don't see the "Latinos" community gossiping/backstabbing themselves and making themselves look bad whereas the Deaf community does that so well. H*ll, some Deaf people are masters at making themselves look so bad because they think first with their hearts not with their minds.

i agree with this article.. Shiva, yah u right deaf communitiy is not only community to do that, but deaf community is the worse for that than other community.. Also in the hearing community, gossips slows down as one gets older.. in deaf community, gossip increases as one gets older.. There is a differences..

That is why i often don;t like the deaf community for that. SOmetime i am fine with the deaf community, other time "f*ck them" to the deaf community.

Exactly I agree with what you post DreamDeaf, there are times I tried to clear my name but Roadunner had taught me to ignore and kept quiet no matter how big the lies were or no matter if my name is being brought up in other forums and I surely agree on the part about being Christian, yet it does saddness me to know one who has been doing this for so long but it does feel good to keep silence instead of trying to get the truth out... I let God take care of that for me because He makes all my hurt and anger go away and make me a better person for who I want to be....

I agree with CookieMOnster also, people do makes mistakes and they learn by their mistakes by letting the past go and start over but sadly some don't....

Ohhh boy! I know from my own experience.....*SIIIIGGGHHH*....
thats why i dont get involved deaf activities anymore, in fact i quit about
20 years ago!!..too much jealousy, lies, etc...but a lot of hearing people do
the same but i hate to say this, deaf people are much worse!! (im ashamed cuz im deaf!)...I still have a few deaf best friends that i still trust.
Im deaf woman married to a hearing man...a lot of his friends (not all of them) have changed their attitude toward him, some even ceased to be friends with him! Some people are not very friendly to me, in fact, they ignore me..thats fine with me cuz its their problem, not mine. Some people are very nice to us. I think they dont understand that deaf and hearing can get along very well, commuicative wise if they work at it..geez. These people are just so damn ignorant, its pitiful but thats their own problem, period!

*Doubling, no, make that tripling Defee's period!* Hiya, girl! :kiss:

Back