Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unread 08-14-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
Nancy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Hearing Loss Buttons

I don't know if this is the right forum to post under but I was wondering if you all, if possible, would wear a button on your shirt that says "I am deaf" or "I am hard of hearing...please speak up"??
Did you know that ADCO Hearing Products sells these?? Go to this link, scroll ALL THE WAY DOWN, and view the buttons they offer.
Would you buy these? Why or why not?

P.S. I am not buying these but I am buying one of their low cost hearing aid dehumifiers (you can check them out here too). I don't want my aids to tear up!

Anyway, here it is again: ADCO Hearing Products -- just scroll down to see the buttons

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
deafdyke

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Nah, they are UGLY!!!!! Maybe if they were cool looking like "hard of hearing pride" or whatever
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
tegumi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen an couple old people wearing buttons that say "I have vision problems" , etc, but I couldnt ever see anyone wearing one for a hearing loss....
tegumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 12:02 AM   #4
gnarlydorkette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:Rolleyes:

I remembered back in highschool, some kids do work off-campus for work incentive, especially for "special needs" kids (that includes us, the Deaf, another stupid discrimination to break down) and one of the deaf students worked at In-N-OUt... and he had this stupid hat that said: "I AM DEAF" in block letters. It was embarassing. It is like standing wtiha billboard sign on your chest: "I AM AN IDIOT!!". We asked him if he worked at the cashier, he said, no; then why does he need the frigging hat to clean the frigging clean? NOBODY is going to bother him while he mops the floor!!! The fact he had this stupid hat, people avoided him and generalized all Deaf to be floor-moppers who need people to be warned about them....

You don't see a worker saying: "I AM GAY" so people can avoid him/her, so what's up???? Interaction is not enough for hearies even we signed, even we wrote to them, even gestured t them that we cannot understand them, they still want us to wear a drigging button--

THAT IS IT-- It is just like the Jews during Holocaust wearing the Star of David on their clothes.
THAT IS HOW LOW I feel the "I AM DEAF" button is.
gnarlydorkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
Deaf_Jen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn right i would... im not scared of what people think... i would rather someone see the badge instead of looking at me after i tell them

i wouldnt wear perhaps these on the websise... but if i found one i liked... i would wear it

ive said it in other threads, im not scared of what people think, and i dont make a point to hide my hearing aids,they are a part of me take it or leave it
Deaf_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 01:36 PM   #6
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 514 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlydorkette
...THAT IS IT-- It is just like the Jews during Holocaust wearing the Star of David on their clothes.
THAT IS HOW LOW I feel the "I AM DEAF" button is.
I think the difference is, the Jews were forced by the government to wear the yellow stars. The "Deaf" buttons are totally voluntary.

What happened to the "Deaf Pride" movement?
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
deafdyke

Quote:
There's a difference in wearing a Deaf Pride/Power button, and wearing THOSE ugly buttons....I might wear a button if they looked cool or something....hmmmm.....maybe that's an idear to get extra money or something!
Unread 08-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
gnarlydorkette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdyke
There's a difference in wearing a Deaf Pride/Power button, and wearing THOSE ugly buttons....I might wear a button if they looked cool or something....hmmmm.....maybe that's an idear to get extra money or something!
Thank you deafdyke.

But maybe you(Reba) didn't notice that I did include an example of my friend-- he was required to wear the "I AM DEAF" hat at In-N-Out. REQUIRED. He was displeased with it because he felt it was embarassing and unecessary. (And the irony thing: at another In-n-OUt, there was a deaf worker who DIDN'T wear a "I AM DEAF" hat...!)

I wouldn't wear a button that says "I am hearing-imparied, please look at me when speaking."

I would put a button that got the sign of "ILY" or "DPN '88" or just manual letters "D-E-A-F P-R-I-D-E" on my tote bag or something, but I think by communicating with ASL is sufficient for people to recongize me as a Deaf person.
(Have you notice that the Hearies have fused the "ASL" into a verb? A patron of a bookstore told the employee who was trying to talk to my husband behind his back that he only "sign-language" and the employee understood and walked up front and told both of us what she wanted to tell my husband.)

Nancy was asking Deaf people's opinions, and I stated mine as an opinion of a Deaf generation after the DPN.

I was only 2 years old when DPN occurs-- I grew up as a child that EXPECTS equality regardless my Deafness. I am normal (well I certainly hope so!). I didn't expect to fight for my rights today because of my "disability" known as Deafness. I may be spoiled for wanting the just world with Deaf rights and everything-- but am I wrong to expect that people have grown up in last two or three decades in regards to Deaf Awareness? Com'on, what, was everybody living out as hermits?!
gnarlydorkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 05:11 PM   #9
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 514 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlydorkette
But maybe you(Reba) didn't notice that I did include an example of my friend-- he was required to wear the "I AM DEAF" hat at In-N-Out. REQUIRED...
I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was comparing just the yellow stars and the Deaf pins, not the hat.

My question about "Deaf Pride" was a separate topic question. I should have made a separate post for it. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Nancy was asking Deaf people's opinions, and I stated mine as an opinion of a Deaf generation after the DPN.
You are right, I should butt out. Again, I am sorry. I am bowing out now.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 05:45 PM   #10
HiBluE01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to HiBluE01
Thank you for informed me about website, Nancy.
Unread 08-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #11
deafdyke

Quote:
I was only 2 years old when DPN occurs-
I was only eight when DPN happened....
Unread 08-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #12
Nancy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DPN = Gallaudet's Deaf President Now?

I was 18 and already graduated from high school in 1988 when that happened! I remember seeing that on TV.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
peachestheclown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
I don't know if this is the right forum to post under but I was wondering if you all, if possible, would wear a button on your shirt that says "I am deaf" or "I am hard of hearing...please speak up"??
Did you know that ADCO Hearing Products sells these?? Go to this link, scroll ALL THE WAY DOWN, and view the buttons they offer.
Would you buy these? Why or why not?

P.S. I am not buying these but I am buying one of their low cost hearing aid dehumifiers (you can check them out here too). I don't want my aids to tear up!

Anyway, here it is again: ADCO Hearing Products -- just scroll down to see the buttons
Yes, as a matter of fact I am checking out the site now. I work in retail, people never read my "please face me button" and I need something new that states it outright I guess. One woman I could not understand her responses, I asked her to shake her head yes or know she looked at me as if I was ignorant. When I told her I am extremely HOH and the hearing aids just amplify the noise around me, she apologized profusely...
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
peachestheclown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cant find the buttons...
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #15
tigersharkdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is very, very old
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #16
LDNanna
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to LDNanna
Yep, it is old. But here are some fun deaf buttons.

Deaf Button | Deaf Buttons, Pins, & Badges | Funny & Cool - CafePress
LDNanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #17
Smithtr
Web development/Graphic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
old thread long time! I know few !
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
drphil

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Has the interaction of deaf/Deaf/DEAF persons changed that much since 2005?

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
drphil

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Has the interaction of deaf/Deaf/DEAF persons changed that much since 2005?

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
moggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Hearing loss buttons

Hi all

Well i did not know about these buttons. I am in Australia.

I have my own badges that say "Hard of Hearing " all they are is name badges with those words on them. I just told the badge people what i wanted on them. I ask my friends if i should put Deaf on them but they said HOH.

The magnetic back one is great as it does not ruin your good clothes. I have several badges as if i miss place one i can find another.

I wear them mainly in group settings, on airflights, tours, and recently on a cruise.

If you want a pic of them i can supply. Just send me a reply.
moggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #21
rachelreader3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a shirt or a big sign that says that I'm deaf. I'm planning on riding my bike to work and I was thinking that that would be helpful in the biking trails where they all ASSUME I ignored their [B]"On the left, ON THE LEFT!"[/B
The thing is that I like to dress up and also like artsy stuff. I think that idea with DEAF in sign language is cool. But other than that, still looking for that cool pin or shirt
rachelreader3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #22
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think that a button would help me in my interactions with the general public. When I tell a retail employee, the employee just stares at me like I'm crazy. _
Unread 10-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #23
mbrek
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylou View Post
I don't think that a button would help me in my interactions with the general public. When I tell a retail employee, the employee just stares at me like I'm crazy. _
Why not get a button that says that?

Then when they ask "really"?, you can tell them no, but you are deaf.

Last edited by mbrek; 10-30-2011 at 05:07 PM.
mbrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #24
whatdidyousay!

Liked 295 Times in 228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
I think the difference is, the Jews were forced by the government to wear the yellow stars. The "Deaf" buttons are totally voluntary.

I am Jewish and I really do not like people saying " Jews" , as it is used as an insult , the only time a person call me a 'Jew' is to insult me. I never heard this used any other way than an insult.
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #25
Sunshine
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never know word "Jew" offensive. Just mean Jewish person, no?
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #26
DeafCaroline

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdidyousay! View Post
I am Jewish and I really do not like people saying " Jews" , as it is used as an insult , the only time a person call me a 'Jew' is to insult me. I never heard this used any other way than an insult.
Jews is used to described a person who is Jewish. there's nothing offensive about it. However, if one were to say "He tried to Jew me out of the deal" - then yeah, it is.

It's the context in which the word was used that be offensive, not the word itself.
DeafCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #27
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think that we should let minority groups determine their own identity and preferred name. Whatdidyousay is Jewish and she says that it's offensive, so that's good enough for me. I believe her when she says that she has suffered discrimination associated with this name. I won't use this term.
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #28
DeafCaroline

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylou View Post
I think that we should let minority groups determine their own identity and preferred name. Whatdidyousay is Jewish and she says that it's offensive, so that's good enough for me. I believe her when she says that she has suffered discrimination associated with this name. I won't use this term.
I wouldn't use it with her if she finds it offensive. Of course not.

For sake of argument:

There was a time once when I was offended to be called "deaf" because it was often said to me with the intent to hurt. Does that mean it's an offensive slur? Yes, it does mean that because it's all based on the context in which the word was used. But the word "deaf" itself is used to describe a person with a hearing loss just like "Jew' is used to describe a person of either Jewish descent or one who practices the Jewish faith.
DeafCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #29
Jazzberry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, I'm a Jew and I use the word Jew. I also use the word Jewish.

If I remembered, I would try to remember to call Whatdidyousay! Jewish and not a Jew simply because I try to avoid calling people whatever they don't want to be called.

But I don't agree with you, Whatdidyousay. Also, I kind of resent it when people give credence in any way shape or form that "Jew" is a bad word. It's not.

I participated in a discussion about this at another forum and some interesting observations came up:

* Most other names for other religions are multisyllable
* Most bad words are one syllable
* There have been serious problems between Jewish people and other religions and governments, mostly because it hasn't been healthy to be a minority in most places in the past -- and Jewish people have been minorities in many places yet chosen not to assimilate. The propaganda has left lingering effects for some people.

* Many names for other religions are both nouns and adjectives, e.g.:
** Christian
** Muslim
** Hindu

* Jewish/Jew is unique in that there is a distinctive adjective and distinctive noun form of the word. In the English language I think people usually use an adjective to go along with a pronoun as in:
I'm Jewish.
She's Jewish.

When they do that with other religions it's not as clear if they are using the noun or adjective. For example:

He's Christian.
He's a Christian.

My guess is that in the first sentence Christian is being used as an adjective and in the second sentence as a noun. I believe that most people would opt to say (if it came up), "He's Christian" and "She's Jewish" using the adjective form in both cases but its not as clear that this is what is being done with the words Christian, Muslim and Hindu.

So, that may partially explain why sometimes some people get confused -- but so what -- Jew is still a fine word and I'm proud to claim it.

Last edited by Jazzberry; 10-30-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: clarity
Jazzberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #30
mbrek
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree. My son is retarded. But if you were to refer to him a "retard", I'd likely pummel you. People use the word "retarded" in a derogatory fashion; but it doesn't get to me quite as much. You can mask his condition by saying "mentally impaired or disabled" - but in the end it all comes down to the same thing. It doesn't change who he is, and I have no problems with the term myself.