Forum infuses environmental science into deaf education

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
WASHINGTON – Science and math teachers around the country will converge on Gallaudet University for the 10th annual GLOBE Teacher Training on June 20-24.

GLOBE (Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment) is a hands-on environmental science and education program that unites students, educators and scientists from around the world in studying the environment. Introduced in April 1994 by U.S. Vice President Al Gore, GLOBE is a worldwide network of K-12 students working under the guidance of teachers trained to conduct the program.

Gallaudet has trained teachers from more than 60 schools on how to use the GLOBE measurements with their deaf and hard of hearing students, incorporate GLOBE images in the classroom, integrate science activities from the GLOBE online curriculum, and create partnerships among students at GLOBE schools around the world.

The leaders of the workshop are Dr. David Snyder, chemistry and physics professor at Gallaudet, and Mary Ellsworth, science teacher/researcher at the Model Secondary School for the Deaf. This year, the leaders will be joined by Dr. Elissa Levine, a soil scientist and GLOBE primary investigator from NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. The team will share its expertise in making classroom science teaching come alive and show how to engage students in recognizing the significance of using international environmental standards for research.

Through GLOBE, students are taught how to take accurate environmental measurements and enter them into the GLOBE data base using the Internet. Measurements include water and air temperatures, cloud type and percentage of cloud cover, rainfall quantity and acidity, water conductivity and transparency, land cover type, and detailed soil analysis.

For more information, contact:

Darrick Nicholas
Media Relations Coordinator, Gallaudet University
PH: 202.448.7136
E-mail: darrick.nicholas@gallaudet.edu

That's awesome! I wish I can go there... I have the money but I don't have the time for it. We soon will be gone to Sweden (this Sat). So I couldn't.

However, I wonder will they incorporate the enviornmental science into Galladuet's Academic programs? Not just during summertime? I seem unable to find the Galladuet's 2005-2006 catalog...

I guess I can contact Darrick via email to find out.

Back