Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Current Events > Deaf News
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 03-26-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
Miss-Delectable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trial for killing of a deaf gay man

Trial dates set in killing of Waverly deaf gay man

Waverly, Ohio--Trial dates have been set for two of the three men accused of killing a deaf gay man last October.

The trial of Martin E. Baxter, 28, will begin on October 11, nine days after the anniversary of Daniel Fetty’s beating death.

Fetty was living out of his car at the time of his death, saving money for a new apartment after a fire destroyed his previous one.

Police in Waverly, about 60 miles south of Columbus, received a call shortly before 1 am on October 2, 2004. When they got to the scene, they found Fetty lying unconscious and naked in a trash container. He had been beaten with bricks, bottles and boards.

Patrolman Tim South saw Baxter, Matthew Wayne Ferman and James Veachel Trent run behind a nearby building, and the trio were arrested within a couple of hours.

Fetty, 39, was flown to Grant Hospital in Columbus from Pike Community Hospital. He died about twelve hours after the attack.

Pike County Prosecutor Robert Junk is treating the murder as a hate crime. However, Ohio law does not include sexual orientation in its ethnic intimidation statutes, which only cover crimes as severe as telephone harassment.

Baxter faces two charges of aggravated murder, although he can only be convicted of one of them. He also is charged with aggravated robbery, tampering with evidence and abduction.

Facing the death penalty, he has been assigned two attorneys certified to handle such cases, Diane Menashe and Kort Gatterdam of Columbus.

Ferman, 22, will go to trial on January 9, 2006, facing the same charges. Junk is also seeking the death penalty for Ferman.

Trent, 19, pleaded no contest on December 6 to reduced charges and is facing a seven-year prison term. Part of his plea agreement was consenting to testify against Baxter and Ferman.

Baxter’s trial date was set on February 22, Ferman’s three days later. The hearings were, in large part, to see if either the prosecution or the defense wanted Pike County Common Pleas Judge Randy Deering to recuse himself.

Deering arraigned the trio when he was a county judge. He has since been elected to the Court of Common Pleas. Both sides accepted Deering for the cases.
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-26-2005, 06:44 AM   #2
drl-lion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to drl-lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss-Delectable
Trial dates set in killing of Waverly deaf gay man

Waverly, Ohio--Trial dates have been set for two of the three men accused of killing a deaf gay man last October.

The trial of Martin E. Baxter, 28, will begin on October 11, nine days after the anniversary of Daniel Fetty’s beating death.

Fetty was living out of his car at the time of his death, saving money for a new apartment after a fire destroyed his previous one.

Police in Waverly, about 60 miles south of Columbus, received a call shortly before 1 am on October 2, 2004. When they got to the scene, they found Fetty lying unconscious and naked in a trash container. He had been beaten with bricks, bottles and boards.

Patrolman Tim South saw Baxter, Matthew Wayne Ferman and James Veachel Trent run behind a nearby building, and the trio were arrested within a couple of hours.

Fetty, 39, was flown to Grant Hospital in Columbus from Pike Community Hospital. He died about twelve hours after the attack.

Pike County Prosecutor Robert Junk is treating the murder as a hate crime. However, Ohio law does not include sexual orientation in its ethnic intimidation statutes, which only cover crimes as severe as telephone harassment.

Baxter faces two charges of aggravated murder, although he can only be convicted of one of them. He also is charged with aggravated robbery, tampering with evidence and abduction.

Facing the death penalty, he has been assigned two attorneys certified to handle such cases, Diane Menashe and Kort Gatterdam of Columbus.

Ferman, 22, will go to trial on January 9, 2006, facing the same charges. Junk is also seeking the death penalty for Ferman.

Trent, 19, pleaded no contest on December 6 to reduced charges and is facing a seven-year prison term. Part of his plea agreement was consenting to testify against Baxter and Ferman.

Baxter’s trial date was set on February 22, Ferman’s three days later. The hearings were, in large part, to see if either the prosecution or the defense wanted Pike County Common Pleas Judge Randy Deering to recuse himself.

Deering arraigned the trio when he was a county judge. He has since been elected to the Court of Common Pleas. Both sides accepted Deering for the cases.
i know daniel fetty was my in high school he gay i know it but that sad and was he live in ft worth fetty,family dont like danielfetty make pick out house he look for job hard and went out state thank u
drl-lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 180 Times in 87 Posts
Such an awful thing to happen to Daniel Fetty.

I hope the trio of cruel killers gets their full punishment.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
Tousi

Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I remember Fetty well, having known him some years ago on deafchat; he was one funny dude!
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #5
TweetyBird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh yea i heard abt him.. sigh!! that sooo sad!
Unread 03-26-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Steel X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Steel X
I'm confused...did they just kill him because he's gay or he's deaf?

or perhas both...? eh anyway, sorry about that.
Steel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
rjr2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel
I'm confused...did they just kill him because he's gay or he's deaf?

or perhas both...? eh anyway, sorry about that.
maybe they just wanted to be against the deaf and they have no respect at all.
rjr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote