AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Deaf Products & Technologies
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 02-25-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
ravensteve1961
Banned

Does insurance cover TTY?

Will insurance pay for a TTY? It is a health equpiment. Just like scooters are.
ravensteve1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
Steel X

Send a message via AIM to Steel X
what?!?! ><
Steel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Oceanbreeze

Send a message via AIM to Oceanbreeze Send a message via MSN to Oceanbreeze
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensteve1961
Erm, I'm probably talking out of my rear-end here, because, I don't use the TTY. However, I'm inclined to think insurance wouldn't cover it. TTY is a communication device, and therefore, not what is considered "durable medical equipment". Some durable medical equipment is covered under insurances. Things like crutches, wheelchairs, and orthopedic braces. Howeve, since TTY is considered a communication assitive device, you could try the phone company, and see if you couldn't get a break on your phone bill. That might be doable.
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
Oceanbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
In South Carolina, deaf and hard-of-hearing residents can each get one free TTY from the TEDP program. Check to see if your state has a similar program.
http://www.scsdb.k12.sc.us/TEDP/TEDP%20Instructions.htm
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
ravensteve1961
Banned

Well Look at electric scooters. Elderly uses them and medicare pays for it. Scooters are not health equipment so why dont they tell the elderly go buy a wheelchair. You know why medicare pays for scooters? Cause AARP PRESSURES MEDICARE To Be nice to them or theyre start running some politicans out of office just like AARP is starting siding with the democrats now because of bushs new social security bill to make the elderly take their retirement into gambling.
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #6
ravensteve1961
Banned

Reba Florida doesnt have that program.
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:05 PM   #7
Oceanbreeze

Send a message via AIM to Oceanbreeze Send a message via MSN to Oceanbreeze
Quote:
Well Look at electric scooters. Elderly uses them and medicare pays for it. Scooters are not health equipment so why dont they tell the elderly go buy a wheelchair. You know why medicare pays for scooters? Cause AARP PRESSURES MEDICARE To Be nice to them or theyre start running some politicans out of office just like AARP is starting siding with the democrats now because of bushs new social security bill to make the elderly take their retirement into gambling.
Steve, that's not true. Scooters aren't just used by the elderly. Physically disabled people also use scooters. You're confusing something here. Scooters and wheelchairs are considered DURABLE MEDICAL EQUIPMENT, and that is why medicaid/medicare covers them. I don't know what category TTY falls under, but I'm reasonably sure the TTY is not considered durable medical equipment, and that's why it's not covered. I would do what Reba suggested since she's more knowledgable about this than I am.

Good luck
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
Oceanbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #8
Reba
Retired Terp

RS,

Try these contacts:

Maryland:
Maryland Technology Assistance Program (TAP) (1989)
Governor's Office for Individuals with Disabilities
2301 Argonne Drive, Room T17
Baltimore, MD 21218
Executive Director: Michael Dalto
Phone/TTY: 800.832.4827
Phone/TTY: 410.554.9230
Fax: 410.554.9237
Email: mdtap@mdtap.org
Web: http://www.mdtap.org

Florida:
Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technology (FAAST Inc.) (1992)
325 John Knox Road, Bldg. B
Tallahassee, FL 32303-4151
Executive Director: Jane Johnson
Phone: 850.487.3278
Fax: 850.487.2805
TTY: 850.921.5951
Email: faast@faast.org
Web: http://faast.org
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:09 PM   #9
Reba
Retired Terp

For all other states, check this site:

http://www.ataporg.org/stateatprojects.asp
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:27 PM   #10
ravensteve1961
Banned

Doesnt say anything about deaf services reba,,,Its a golf recovery program..Im not playing golf.
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:41 PM   #11
horselover61

Steve, try VR and they may help you with the TTY and flasher and dont forget the job too.

http://furbyland.myminicity.com/
horselover61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #12
Y

Ravensteve, I just double-checked
Florida website. You are right about
this Florida organization have nothing to do
with Deafies at all...
just with another kind of disabilities...

I even consider that all TTYs should be covered
by insurance as part of medical issues
for communications.
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:48 PM   #13
Reba
Retired Terp

RS,

Try this one:

http://www.ftri.org/Equipment/index.cfm
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:52 PM   #14
ravensteve1961
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeranian
Steve, try VR and they may help you with the TTY and flasher and dont forget the job too.
Flasher?
Unread 02-25-2005, 09:04 PM   #15
TongueOnFire
Rest In Peace Amanda, You Will Be Missed

oh well most ppl buying tty as ultrasound from jcpenney or sears *thru the order* ... and also VR pays that tty for ya but you dont takin any insurance on it.. so Let VR takes care of it if your tty broke or not working so VR will replace it for ya! depends it limited ... I talked to medicaid company to see if it able to cover my tty for insurance.. they said NO .. samething as my medicare! .. nothing news , i guess!

oh pls.. she means that phone flasher , fire flasher , other devices which got flasher.. duh!

Geez!!! what a sicko you are!

TOF
TongueOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 09:04 PM   #16
Steel X

Send a message via AIM to Steel X
at least I use the relay service...
Steel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #17
horselover61

Quote:

I mean light flasher when the phone ring.

Unread 02-25-2005, 09:16 PM   #18
horselover61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueOnFire
oh well most ppl buying tty as ultrasound from jcpenney or sears *thru the order* ... and also VR pays that tty for ya but you dont takin any insurance on it.. so Let VR takes care of it if your tty broke or not working so VR will replace it for ya! depends it limited ... I talked to medicaid company to see if it able to cover my tty for insurance.. they said NO .. samething as my medicare! .. nothing news , i guess!

oh pls.. she means that phone flasher , fire flasher , other devices which got flasher.. duh!

Geez!!! what a sicko you are!

TOF
Thanks

Unread 02-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #19
Angel
♥"Concrete Angel"♥

I add everything that I own in this house inculding the tty in case my house burnt down or if someone breaks in and rob things, and yes the insurance do cover for tty since I did told the man that it worth 3 hundred dollars,

So I'm pretty sure most insurance will cover tty since it not cheap as a regular phone....
Unread 02-26-2005, 03:04 AM   #20
SpiceHD

hmm thats good question u got there ravensteve... makes me wonder if insurance will cover everything else as well.. like hearing aids? cochlear implant? doorbell alert? phone alert? even baby alert? hmm what about fire alert? what about everything else that deaf people uses? i think they should cover tty but i have no idea if they actually do or not...

Thats good idea angel.. but doesnt that only works for home owners? what about apartment renters? does anything cover for apartment renters? hmm..

sorry im full of questions.. im pretty young and never have any insurance on anything not even on a car before (yea i know i should and obviously ohio's law is to required for car insurance) but it does make me curious and wondering about those stuff

by the way sorry if it seem to be offtopic (?)
SpiceHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2005, 03:13 AM   #21
TongueOnFire
Rest In Peace Amanda, You Will Be Missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeranian
Thanks

your welcome... smile

---------------------

angel- ... ofc if you have house insurance .. then it will cover everything up! .. but for some other ppl can't afford cause of expensive insurance to cover anything ... i need to do mine soon!!

TOF
TongueOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2005, 05:51 AM   #22
Cheri
Prayers for my dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceHD
hmm thats good question u got there ravensteve... makes me wonder if insurance will cover everything else as well.. like hearing aids? cochlear implant? doorbell alert? phone alert? even baby alert? hmm what about fire alert? what about everything else that deaf people uses? i think they should cover tty but i have no idea if they actually do or not...

Thats good idea angel.. but doesnt that only works for home owners? what about apartment renters? does anything cover for apartment renters? hmm..

sorry im full of questions.. im pretty young and never have any insurance on anything not even on a car before (yea i know i should and obviously ohio's law is to required for car insurance) but it does make me curious and wondering about those stuff

by the way sorry if it seem to be offtopic (?)
Try All-State Insurance they have insurance coverage for renters like us....

http://home-insurance.allstate.com/r...insurance.aspx
Avoid being a victim of a stroke, a stroke can happen to anyone at anytime. You will never know how devastating this could be until you had live through it. It affects everybody. So Support Stroke Awareness to find a cure and hope.
Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2005, 06:41 AM   #23
C.C.Sinned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri
Try All-State Insurance they have insurance coverage for renters like us....

http://home-insurance.allstate.com/r...insurance.aspx

What about insurance coverage buying those type of items? Does Medicare cover it? I have had the wife call. We never get a straight answer. Are those people snobs or just to lazy to check? Then I get referred to go to the TTY number. I can't even afford one of them either.
I can't even have hearing aids because I can't afford them. I have over 90% loss in both ears.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated... thx
Unread 02-26-2005, 07:19 AM   #24
Cheri
Prayers for my dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C.Sinned
What about insurance coverage buying those type of items? Does Medicare cover it? I have had the wife call. We never get a straight answer. Are those people snobs or just to lazy to check? Then I get referred to go to the TTY number. I can't even afford one of them either.
I can't even have hearing aids because I can't afford them. I have over 90% loss in both ears.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated... thx

If you don't have a TTY just tell them that. You can go on line and use a Ip Relay service, http://www.relaycall.com/national/relay.html Make sure you have Java downloaded it would only work if you have Java. Unfortunately, hearing aids are not typically covered, But U.S. program of the Hearing Foundation, provides hearing aids to adults and children who are legal residents of the US... The number is 1-800-648-4327, by fax at 952-828-6946 or by mail at 6700 Washington Avenue S, Eden Prairie, MN 55344. But that phone number is voice not TTY. Or State Vocational Rehabilitation Programs. Here's the link to find one in your hometown....http://www.parac.org/svrp.html
All-State covered personal items in your home such as furitures, jeweries, TTY and other stuff call them and ask them what coverage that would cost for you.
Avoid being a victim of a stroke, a stroke can happen to anyone at anytime. You will never know how devastating this could be until you had live through it. It affects everybody. So Support Stroke Awareness to find a cure and hope.
Unread 02-26-2005, 07:38 AM   #25
Reba
Retired Terp

I think we have two separate topics here that are being confused.

1. Will health insurance pay for the initial purchase of a TTY and other assistive equipment (pagers, flasher alarms, etc.) and hearing aids?

2. Will homeowner/renter insurance pay to reimburse the loss or destruction of such devices?

Two totally separate issues.
Unread 02-26-2005, 07:45 AM   #26
C.C.Sinned

Talking Thank You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri
If you don't have a TTY just tell them that. You can go on line and use a Ip Relay service, http://www.relaycall.com/national/relay.html Make sure you have Java downloaded it would only work if you have Java. Unfortunately, hearing aids are not typically covered, But U.S. program of the Hearing Foundation, provides hearing aids to adults and children who are legal residents of the US... The number is 1-800-648-4327, by fax at 952-828-6946 or by mail at 6700 Washington Avenue S, Eden Prairie, MN 55344. But that phone number is voice not TTY. Or State Vocational Rehabilitation Programs. Here's the link to find one in your hometown....http://www.parac.org/svrp.html
All-State covered personal items in your home such as furitures, jeweries, TTY and other stuff call them and ask them what coverage that would cost for you.
Thank You!!! That was a huge help... Dennis
Unread 02-26-2005, 07:51 AM   #27
Cheri
Prayers for my dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C.Sinned
Thank You!!! That was a huge help... Dennis

awww you are more than welcome.
Unread 02-26-2005, 04:39 PM   #28
PeteEMT

To qualify for a Medicare covered Scooter or Powered Wheelchair, you have to meet a number of criteria. Including that your not able to use a manual wheelchair by yourself. So it's not quite that they just give one to anyone who asks (though those Scooter Store Commercials make you think so).

The key difference between a Scooter/Wheel Chair and a TTY. Is the TTY is considered optional. One of the prerequesites for Medicare Coverage of a Powered Wheelchair/Scooter is that you need to use a Wheelchair to get around your home. While one could argue the TTY is a crucial device, you could actually still make do without the phone, even have your neighbors call for you.

The AARP argument doesn't work because many of those same people who qualify for Wheelchairs or Scooters are hard of hearing.
PeteEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2005, 08:03 AM   #29
Dennis

Send a message via ICQ to Dennis
Issue 1: If I am deaf or hard of hearing, will the MEDICAL insurance company pay for me to get a TTY?

Answer: NO.

Then how the hell do I get a TTY for free or cheap?

Answer: Contact your state's Assistive Technology Program. All 50 U.S. states have some sort of program that finds out what you're eligible to get from the state for free or for cheap. Reba listed links above, if you don't want to go to the effort to get them from the state, then you don't deserve their help.

Issue 2: Will renter/homeowner/fire/theft/natural disaster insurance cover my broken/stolen/destroyed TTY (or other assistive device like CapTel, doorbell light flasher, wheelchair, etc.).

Answer: YES -- if you're paying to have it covered. Make sure it's covered under your policy and that you're paying the right fees to have it covered.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #30
Kevinin

It depends on the nature of the insurance companies. According to my information there are number of the companies that are indulged in the TTY insurance, You must contact to the sale Representative of the Insurance companies.
Kevinin is offline   Reply With Quote