Prince Harry Says Sorry For Wearing Nazi Uniform

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
Should Prince Harry apologize to wear costume as uniform Nazi??

Queen's Grandson Was At Costume Party

UPDATED: 10:26 AM EST January 13, 2005

LONDON -- Criticism is mounting in Britain over Prince Harry wearing a Nazi uniform to a costume party.

The youngest son of Prince Charles has issued an apology.

Early editions of The Sun showed Queen Elizabeth's grandson holding a cigarette and a drink -- and wearing a swastika Nazi armband. Harry was attending a costume party.

The paper said the 20-year-old prince attended the event in the uniform of a fascist soldier.

A statement issued by Clarence House, the office of Prince Charles, read, "I am very sorry if I have caused any offence or embarrassment to anyone. It was a poor choice of costume and I apologize.''

A spokesman for the Reform Synagogues of Great Britain said the incident was in bad taste, but the apology should be accepted. But a former armed forces minister said the prince's application to join the elite Sandhurst military college should be withdrawn.

In the words of Labor Party member Doug Henderson, "If it was anyone else the application wouldn't be considered. It should be withdrawn immediately."

The Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles has expressed outrage. It's urging the 20-year-old prince to visit the Auschwitz death camp in Poland later this month to commemorate the 60th anniversary of its liberation. The Jewish group said that will show him the meaning of the symbol he wore "so foolishly and brazenly."

Jewish groups in Britain have been more moderate in their criticism.

Prime Minister Tony Blair's office was reluctant to get involved. An official statement said the matter should be handled by Buckingham Palace.

Meantime, Queen Elizabeth is set to commemorate Holocaust Memorial Day on Jan. 27. Survivors of the Nazi death camps and British veterans who liberated them are invited to a reception at St. James' Palace.

Britain fought against Nazi Germany from 1939 through 1945.

Attachments

• harry.jpg
    harry.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 14
Back