Native American Holocaust

I think his nickname is "Moses" Littlemoon. He had suffered abused very badly in the boarding school. Yes, I did watched the program yesterday. He was very emotional about it. He was trying to recalled many bits about what happened in the boarding school. He does not want to give up his Lakota language. His partner, Jane, had written his biography or dairy about his life with his parents and then being taken away to go to the boarding school. He did not want to go but were forced to go. His mother cried. He had lot of problems both as a child while in boarding school and as a adult. He had done a lot to help his people in Pine Ridge reservation. He knows that he was not the only one who suffered in boarding school.

He had passed away in 2008. He will always be remembered his survival throughout his life.

I was like him in the same way when I was a very young girl like him being free and express himself and myself (I love being deaf), not knowing that I was needed to learned how to speak and talk like hearing person later on. I was 8 and 1/2 years old when I attended mainstream school. I was so sad to learned that he passed away in 2008.

May Walter "Moses" Littlemoon rest in peace. :(

:wave:Bebonang, :ty: for your talk on "Moses" Littlemoon, now I know more about him. I know I will remember about him. May he walk Road....

do you know this phrase....mitakuye oyasin....

blessings, Beonang:hug:

:wave:Bebonang, :ty: for your talk on "Moses" Littlemoon, now I know more about him. I know I will remember about him. May he walk Road....

do you know this phrase....mitakuye oyasin....

blessings, Beonang:hug:

You can say "Rest In Peace" or "May he walk a long journey into the Spirit World".

You are talking about the Red Road. The Red Road means that we need to feel our spiritual ways about ourselves on coping on the bad and good days. It is about struggle through life. Also we need Medicine Wheel to make connections with nature. Everything we connected are all related (nature and people). You and I are related. The animals and trees including rocks, water, grass are all related. We are allllllll related on Mother Earth. Understand what I am saying?

I forgot to mention about the title of the thread that you made.

Maybe you could have put the title as Native American Holocaust instead of First Nations Holocaust. First Nations are from Canada, not in USA. First Nation reserves are all across from coast to coast in Canada. They have their Holocaust, too.

But Moses Littlemoon went to the BIA Boarding school which is in USA. Over in Canada, it is residential schools, not boarding school. Different compare between Canada and USA. He suffered so much at the boarding school that he could not tolerate having to change everything in his life from his own culture and tradition. He was free before he was taken away from his parents to attend the boarding school. There are lots of children like him being taken away from their parents to attend both residential and boarding schools in North America. The Churches tried to make them changed their way instead of the Native ways. Most important in their life is their own language. They are more comfortable to speak their own languages. No BIA schools and residential schools should not have taken away their languages and cultures.

That is what happened to many Deaf people like yourself and I had to go through learning how to speak and to lipread, no signing ASL or any sign language. ASL was taken away from us by the hearing authorities like Alexander Graham Bell Foundation.
We went through frustration trying to make head and tail on the communication in Oral-only method.

Beside, Moses Littlemoon was from Pine Ridge Reservation which is in South Dakota in USA, not in Canada.

I hope I make it clear. :D

:D :ty: for enlightening me! I think you're a good teacher, I appreciate this.
I'll see about changing this title too

I agree how horrible it was what the Churches did!

:D :ty: for enlightening me! I think you're a good teacher, I appreciate this.
I'll see about changing this title too

I agree how horrible it was what the Churches did!

I was just talking to my daughter about this today , how the churches
took away Native American culture , this is a crime to me ! And this is still happening today in other countries, people are being robbed of their culture they followed for generations . We should be respecting one another way of life not trying to wipe it off the face of earth.

Back