800-pound man kicked out of hospital for ordering pizza

rockin'robin

Reaction score
(CNN) - A man who tips the scale at close to 800 pounds says he has nowhere to go after being kicked out of a hospital weight loss program for ordering pizza.

Now he rides in the back of an SUV while his father drives the roads of Rhode Island, looking for someone who can help.

Steven Assanti, 33, said his eating addiction has led him to this place, living in the back of his dad's SUV with nowhere else to go.

For the past 80 days, Assanti was getting the help he needed in a Rhode Island hospital where he lost 20 pounds. But ordering pizza violated the care plan, and the hospital told him he had to leave.

“I was supposed to stay and lose all my weight, and get down to 550, to get the gastric bypass,” he said. “That was their plan.”

A spokesperson for Rhode Island Hospital said they can’t speak about Assanti or any of their patients’ treatment.

Assanti's father says taking his son home will be a death sentence, because he'll just fall back into the habits of lying in bed and eating. So the two men say they will continue to drive around until they can find a place to help.

Read more: http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/30...-of-hospital-for-ordering-pizza#ixzz3o2BZgiZA

Saw that on the news last night. What a pathetic situation, it just made me feel sad! I don't know what driving around that tiny state of Rhode Island is going to do, mostly he's got to be able to follow rules. Hope another hospital program will pick him up, or he will die soon.

Other people need those beds who waited long time..If he really wanted the band then follow the rules..I don't know the story but I not got lot of symphery with what I read in posts

Viewed a video of this guy (and he's good looking)...laying in back of the SUV with a Pizza....:roll:

I don't think obese people believe they are overweight...??...

As far as not following the "Rules"...he didn't...if it was his 1st time...I'd give him another chance...if not...the out he goes.

800-pound man kicked out of hospital after ordering pizza

CRANSTON, R.I. (WJAR) — A man from Cranston who weighs 778 pounds is desperate for help after he said Rhode Island Hospital kicked him out.

The man's father said he has nowhere to take his son.

Steven Assanti, 33, said his eating addiction lead him to the trunk of his father's SUV with no place to go.

"It's an addiction, and I realize that," said Assanti.

"And it's a disease."

For the past 80 days, Assanti said, he was getting the help he needed at Rhode Island Hospital. There, he lost 20 pounds.

But after Assanti violated his care plan by ordering pizza, he said the hospital told him he could no longer stay.

"I was supposed to stay there and lose all my weight and get down to 550 to get the gastric bypass," said Assanti. "That was their plan."

A spokesperson for Rhode Island Hospital said they can't speak about Assanti's case, or the treatment of any other patients.

His father, Steven Veillette, said taking his son home will be a death sentence.

"If he comes home and I do get him up the stairs somehow, someway he's going to go right back to his eating habits," Veillette said.

So, the two men say they'll continue to drive until they find a place that will help.

"I just don't know who to turn to," Veillette said. "I called everybody - everybody you can think of in the state of Rhode Island and nobody seems to be (able to) help me."

Veillette said Assanti was able to be admitted to another local hospital, though they do not know if he will be able to stay at the new location beyond the weekend.

His social worker is looking into another permanent location for treatment.

http://www.weartv.com/news/features...after-ordering-pizza-61212.shtml#.VhfhVMvluid

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/study-explains-why-your-brain-makes-you-snack-n349081

It's the brain that made people want to eat , if the doctors didn't try to work with guy to help him try to retrain his thinking of food the doctors are at fault too. I know some that had a bypass surgery and they had to see a therapist for food addiction before having the surgery . This didn't help the person ,they overate after the bypass surgery and had to go back to the hospital . I think the hospital were wrong to kick him out .

He and his family didn't realize he had an eating problem until one day he hit 800 lbs.? :hmm:

I'm surprised that the hospital accepted the pizza delivery to a private room. Whenever I worked in hospitals I noticed that fast food deliveries were made only to the lobby of the hospital. Someone had to pick up the food from the lobby and take it to the room, and guests had to check in at the desk. So how did he get the pizza?

Some obese people do wire their jaws....:hmm:....and in order for this man to lose weight and have the bypass operation...he has to have a mind-set that he wants to lose weight. Apparently, he doesn't...right now....I don't feel he can or should blame the hospital. They have other Patients too....they can't watch him 24/7....

How he ordered the Pizza...it wasn't said in the article...if he did it via phone, should the Hospital restrict his phone usage?...They can't....if someone brought the Pizza in?...then they are responsible for it.

Many times, family members will bring obese patients food (sneak it in)...that the patient isn't allowed to eat.

A hospital is not a jail....People can walk out whenever they choose...even eat what they want by asking family to bring them fast food....

So I feel until this man gets his mind-set that he really wants to lose weight and save his Life...there isn't much anyone can do for him.

If he's not self-motivated enough then he needs a treatment program that is almost like a jail. That means, long-term confinement to a specialized center and NO access to food other than what's prescribed to him. That includes restricted communications (no internet, no phone) and restricted visitors (sign in, have bags inspected), and consequences for infractions (short of being kicked out, which may be what he wants). It should incorporate enforced exercising at an appropriate level, and counseling.

Even then, should he reach a healthy goal number, he would require life-long continuing counseling and periodic re-confinement periods to keep from gaining back the weight.

He's never going to be free without a life-long commitment.

However, at this stage, "life-long" may not be many years for him. :(

like rr I staple my lips together before I put weight on....I get bit fed up OH boohoo I not fat I got mental illness I need symphy,neah just fat diet

He and his family didn't realize he had an eating problem until one day he hit 800 lbs.? :hmm:

I'm surprised that the hospital accepted the pizza delivery to a private room. Whenever I worked in hospitals I noticed that fast food deliveries were made only to the lobby of the hospital. Someone had to pick up the food from the lobby and take it to the room, and guests had to check in at the desk. So how did he get the pizza?

Most likely a family member sneaked it . I was thinking the same as RR about getting his jaw wired shut.

I think I've seen some documentaries or other shows where the obese person has done some rather careful planning in ordering food including having the delivery person come to their room window instead of into the hospital (provided it's on the first floor) though I remember one guy would have a pulley system- delivery put the food on the platform/bucket... haul up, person sticks money in there haul it down to pay.

I think I've seen some documentaries or other shows where the obese person has done some rather careful planning in ordering food including having the delivery person come to their room window instead of into the hospital (provided it's on the first floor) though I remember one guy would have a pulley system- delivery put the food on the platform/bucket... haul up, person sticks money in there haul it down to pay.
Must have been an older building. All the hospitals around here are multilevel with no ground floor rooms, and their windows don't open.

At 800lbs he's not feeding himself. Shame on people who are feeding him.

Im certain any rock dealer will accept rhe suv for a trade in to easily help this guy loose 600 lbs....
And fast....
All.the dad has to do is ask....."-)

At 800lbs he's not feeding himself. Shame on people who are feeding him.

Yeah people are enabling the guy, this seem to happen in families a lot when someone has some kind of addiction . The whole family needs to go to meetings . I don't see how his heart can hold up with all that weight .

Yeah people are enabling the guy, this seem to happen in families a lot when someone has some kind of addiction . The whole family needs to go to meetings . I don't see how his heart can hold up with all that weight .

Or even the SUV...the father is gonna need new shocks soon!

Back