Communication ideas

dbbkay

Reaction score
I am a single mother with a daughter who hasn't seen her deaf father since she was three. She is now sixteen. She is desperate to meet her father so we are going to visit in March. He lives in the Dominican Republic and is very poor. We have not been able to communicate because he can't read or write so no letters. And since he is deaf talking on the phone is out. When we go I want to have a idea or plan so my daughter will be able to have a long distance relationship with him but don't know what is available technology wise to be able to do that. I don't have much money myself. I presently live in Canada on disability. My daughter is desperate to start to have a relationship with him we just don't know how. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I am a single mother with a daughter who hasn't seen her deaf father since she was three. She is now sixteen. She is desperate to meet her father so we are going to visit in March. He lives in the Dominican Republic and is very poor. We have not been able to communicate because he can't read or write so no letters. And since he is deaf talking on the phone is out. When we go I want to have a idea or plan so my daughter will be able to have a long distance relationship with him but don't know what is available technology wise to be able to do that. I don't have much money myself. I presently live in Canada on disability. My daughter is desperate to start to have a relationship with him we just don't know how. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Wow! That is tough. United States provide a free video phone for the Deaf. I don't know if Dominican Republic provide the same. The name of company is Sorenson VRS. You just have to pay for cable modem. Cable modem costs me about $9.00 every month. I don't think it will be expensive for you either.

Should have a video relay service if you don't know much sign language like ASL. Just want to ask what kind sign language you and your ex-husband were able to communicate with each other? Is it ASL or LSQ (Quebec) in Canada?

How come he can not read nor write? Does the Dominican Republic does not provide any Deaf school for him to learn how to read and write? I am sure there has been many discrimination in Mexico and South American, even Central America. It is sad that he was not allow to learn how to read and write? Very important for the Deaf. :(

Perhaps sending photos to each other would work. Or sketching/drawing. It is not very complete communication, but if the purpose is to show that you are thinking of him, and maybe explain what you are up to in the everyday life it would be better than not having any contact. Consider if there are any options to help him get an education. Sometimes there might be, but no one has bothered finding out how to.

how have you been communicating so far,if you not it may come big shock to him see daughter..

Communication

Thanks so much for the help. I will check in Canada to see what we offer for the deaf. As to the other issues the reason he never learned to read and write was there is no schools for the disabled of any kind. They are still very uneducated in regards to how to treat the disabled. I used to get so frustrated when I lived there because no one would address them by their name. They would just call them "the mute". I tried so hard to educate them but that only caused problems. Anyway I will look into what's available in Canada. My daughter also wants to learn sign language so she can talk to him a little when we go down there in March. Are there an websites that are free. Most of his sign language is ASL but there is a lot of slang thrown in. Spanish words instead of English etc. let's talk again. :wave:

That makes me saD AND angrey it still going on..I bet rich people there who get chance

Back