How to say no to a biting cat

Better knowing when it's so not in the mood to clap... :-o

109447445.png

One of my 4 cats had a hard life. She lived all alone in philly pa. My friend saw her but never picked her up. Kitty never let her pick her up. She fed her outside everyday until she had to move. She told the next door about the kitty. They lived in a city. So she moved out then the kitty is helpless and came to the next door lady and begged for food. Kitty let the next door lady to pick her up and texted my friend. She took kitty with her to the cat homeless shelter. I found kitty through the website because I wanted the deaf white kitty. So my friend brought her to my house in Syracuse ny from philly pa. She was not a friendly ones but we kept her. 4 yrs later she gets better and love all of us. She has mood issues lol. She's a toughie queen.

Thank you for positing this, we have issues with our newest addition and biting. She recently bit my father and I had to take him to urgent care. They make the "why" part sound easy and it's not so easy to know why. She was lying on his chest for rubs and really taking it in. He was gently petting her for several minutes, she seemed to really enjoy it and then suddenly the eyes went wide and for whatever reason, she bit his hand. Never had a cat like this...she's different...but clearly she's had a background and temperament that none of our other cats had...wish we knew what it is so we could nip this activity of hers in the bud....both my parents are on blood thinners too.

Laura

Thank you for positing this, we have issues with our newest addition and biting. She recently bit my father and I had to take him to urgent care. They make the "why" part sound easy and it's not so easy to know why. She was lying on his chest for rubs and really taking it in. He was gently petting her for several minutes, she seemed to really enjoy it and then suddenly the eyes went wide and for whatever reason, she bit his hand. Never had a cat like this...she's different...but clearly she's had a background and temperament that none of our other cats had...wish we knew what it is so we could nip this activity of hers in the bud....both my parents are on blood thinners too.

Laura

I'm curious if this kitty is a tortie (tortoise shell).

Some cats dislike being rubbed on tummy. If they become weird then stop petting when they have enough petting.

It isn't, it's an orange and white female and my father was just rubbing along the side of her face which she quite enjoys. I'm not sure what's sparked it but she's prone to biting like no cat we've ever owned.

It isn't, it's an orange and white female and my father was just rubbing along the side of her face which she quite enjoys. I'm not sure what's sparked it but she's prone to biting like no cat we've ever owned.

I asked because I think, from my experience, that Torties are known to change their mood & bite in a flash while being lovey.

My white kitty does have mood issue. She's not the same as my other three cats. I know her dislikes of petting in her area body. But it depends on her mood. It's tough lol

I asked because I think, from my experience, that Torties are known to change their mood & bite in a flash while being lovey.

I was warned about Torties by my Vet so I specifically avoided that type when I went to the shelter, however personalities really can't be predicted. I don't think she does this to be mean or necessarily out of anger. I think it's her way of play but she doesn't realize the harm she's causing.

Our Cat, born on my patio in a big Planter w/old dirt...(3 of them)...is now 1 year old...(the Mother was a stray)....at times, she will sleep with me and want her ears scratched, along with her back...and just "purrrrs"...Once or twice she bit me...I smacked her on the nose....just don't know why she did it???...She's never been mistreated or anything...She's very jealous of my Doggie too...smacks and bites her...so I have a bottle of water I squirt her when she does this....One day she's in a bad mood...the next...all Loving...guessing it's a Cat's nature!

Our Cat, born on my patio in a big Planter w/old dirt...(3 of them)...is now 1 year old...(the Mother was a stray)....at times, she will sleep with me and want her ears scratched, along with her back...and just "purrrrs"...Once or twice she bit me...I smacked her on the nose....just don't know why she did it???...She's never been mistreated or anything...She's very jealous of my Doggie too...smacks and bites her...so I have a bottle of water I squirt her when she does this....One day she's in a bad mood...the next...all Loving...guessing it's a Cat's nature!

And humans aren't like that?? :giggle:

I have 2 cats and 3 dogs but I will NOT abide any pet that bites maliciously to family and guests.
There is a remedy for such behavior.
Sorry that's just how I feel. BTDT. There's too many good animals that need a home.

f498a023d10ed60fec8bd2cd248077ac.jpg

I think it has nothing to do with their coloring. I have had 7 cats (not all at once) and some are/were biters, some not. It's their temperment. It is a good idea to go to the doctor if the cat bite breaks skin because cat bites are known to be the highest infectious and you need to get antibiotics.

Alleycat said it all purrfect. True about cats. Just like us with all different personality.

I didn't mean to imply only torties bite. Just that they seem to have personalities that can turn from hot to cold (or vice versa) in an instant.

Back