Struggling with ASL

bchamberlin

Reaction score
I'm the father of a soon to be 4 year old who is completely deaf and goes to a school for the deaf. I've learned the basics but it comes so slowly to me. I have an ap on my phone etc. It's just coming so slowly to me and I feel I need to step it up before he gets any older.

Any suggestions? Are there DVD's? Books? I need help.

Thanks,
Brian

try lessons or day with deaf person not sure how much costs but some deaf do it help with money...one of the ways I used when went deaf..
you seem good dad and doing your best don't push yourself to hard or it become difficult....I BSL so limited but best luck and yes there are dvds

My dad is the same as you do. I suggest you to talk to your kid a LOT no matter what you dont know ASL but talk to your kid. Kid WILL teach you how to sign, and more. buy the ASL book with childrens story that will help. I do not know whats the name for it but google it.

Definitely find a Deaf meetup, class, anything that gets you in contact with other Deaf adults. Learning from your son (as Frisky said) will help too. But if your son is at a residential school for the deaf you may not see him that often (you didn't say one way or the other) for that to be enough.

Regardless, given the number of Deaf adults here on the forum who have stories about their parent(s) giving up because they found it "too hard" or were "too busy" and the huge negative impact it's had on their lives I'd say pull out all the stops and make it happen for your son's sake. Yes, it can take a while, but keep at it, the effort WILL pay off!

I agree with all the recommendations to meet up with Deaf adults.

If you think about it, how many adults become fluent in any language just communicating with pre-schoolers? How many little children become fluent just communicating with other children? We learn language best from those who are already fluent users of a language, and that's usually adults, with native adults being the best.

It's also been my experience that most Deaf adults who find out that you are learning to sign for your Deaf child will be more than glad to show support for your efforts.

As a hearing person who learned ASL as an adult, I can honestly tell you, it can be done. :)

I agree with all the recommendations to meet up with Deaf adults.

If you think about it, how many adults become fluent in any language just communicating with pre-schoolers? How many little children become fluent just communicating with other children? We learn language best from those who are already fluent users of a language, and that's usually adults, with native adults being the best.

It's also been my experience that most Deaf adults who find out that you are learning to sign for your Deaf child will be more than glad to show support for your efforts.

As a hearing person who learned ASL as an adult, I can honestly tell you, it can be done. :)

I hope there are d/Deaf adults in the town where the OP lives.

There are so few here that it has been literally years since I have seen anyone sign where I live. It is still offered by the local community college as a night class — not sure if all community service type thing or credit. Many years ago I took a beginning course two different times and made no contacts to get to use it in the real world. I frankly gave up.

I hope there are d/Deaf adults in the town where the OP lives.

There are so few here that it has been literally years since I have seen anyone sign where I live. It is still offered by the local community college as a night class — not sure if all community service type thing or credit. Many years ago I took a beginning course two different times and made no contacts to get to use it in the real world. I frankly gave up.
The instructors I had for ASL made it a point to introduce us to Deaf adults. They considered it part of their responsibility to the class. That included a community non-credit class at the YMCA, continuing ed classes at various locations, and for-credit college classes.

I also took the initiative to attend Deaf events throughout the state, and total immersion weekends at the state residential school. Those events were run by Deaf adults.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did take a short class with adults of other deaf children but I was really behind. I can't seem to get my hands to move as fast. LOL. I'll keep at it. I'm taking an online class now.

Back