AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Deaf Products & Technologies > Relay Services
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
tuatara
pro-water

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't use skype for banking

I'm not sure where to post this. Mods, please move if you think it should be somewhere else.

Interpreter on youtube discusses how some people who don't have VP have tried to use skype (call an interpreter friend and ask for a favor, help them make a call) -

She warns: Don't try to use skype to call your bank. If you want to make any changes to your account, this will trigger a fraud alert and you can lose access to your account (atm, debit card, etc) until you go to the bank with ID to prove who you are and fix the problem.

tuatara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Liked 491 Times in 321 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoBlue2 Send a message via Skype™ to ChicagoBlue2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuatara View Post
I'm not sure where to post this. Mods, please move if you think it should be somewhere else.

ASL Don't use SKYPE for banking! - YouTube

Interpreter on youtube discusses how some people who don't have VP have tried to use skype (call an interpreter friend and ask for a favor, help them make a call) -

She warns: Don't try to use skype to call your bank. If you want to make any changes to your account, this will trigger a fraud alert and you can lose access to your account (atm, debit card, etc) until you go to the bank with ID to prove who you are and fix the problem.
I don't bother using Skype at all-- prefer to use a VP under my name, so they can actually verify who I am. Easier that way.

Happy Holidays, everybody!!
ChicagoBlue2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
authentic

Liked 41 Times in 23 Posts
Only stupid people use Skype for online banking. I refuse to use 2nd party apps for banking either....Mint.com for example.
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Send a message via AIM to ChicagoBlue2 Send a message via Skype™ to ChicagoBlue2
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
Only stupid people use Skype for online banking. I refuse to use 2nd party apps for banking either....Mint.com for example.
If no interpreter, travel to the bank or go online. Do NOT try and mess up your account by using someone else-- that's a good way to screw up real good. That's for relay, that is. Don't try using something that's not authorized for banking-- yet.

Unread 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
What about use Sorenson VRS for banking?

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrac View Post
Already do. They have two of my numbers-- ntouch PC and ntouch mobile, because never know if I am out of the house, and they need to reach me.

Unread 02-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 326 Times in 183 Posts
Nobody should even need to be told this if they are able to have a bank account.
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
diehardbiker

Liked 63 Times in 52 Posts
No problem, it is because all 5 VRS providers use third party agency called Neustar, Neustar is responsible for assigning 10 digit local number on ALL phones, yes land land, cellphone, Certified relay service providers and so on. Banking system depends on Neustar for authenticity of all incoming calls. Skype, and other type of calls do not use Neustar, so no Neustar connection, no banking service.

Neustar is a government contractor dealing with 10 digit numeric plans in North America only, Canada, Mexico, and other countries have their own agencies.

so when you call a bank from your SVRS VP, your Sorenson 10 digit number will show up at bank's caller ID and if it matches on your account profile, you will be fine.

Quote:

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Foxrac
FOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlue2 View Post
Already do. They have two of my numbers-- ntouch PC and ntouch mobile, because never know if I am out of the house, and they need to reach me.
I'm asking about is it safe to use Sorenson VRS for banking.

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Foxrac
FOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
No problem, it is because all 5 VRS providers use third party agency called Neustar, Neustar is responsible for assigning 10 digit local number on ALL phones, yes land land, cellphone, Certified relay service providers and so on. Banking system depends on Neustar for authenticity of all incoming calls. Skype, and other type of calls do not use Neustar, so no Neustar connection, no banking service.
You answered my question.

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Quote:
I'm asking about is it safe to use Sorenson VRS for banking.
Very. They're not allowed to repeat your information to anyone.

Unread 02-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Nobody should even need to be told this if they are able to have a bank account.
And yet, some people go to great lengths to mess it all up by using an unauthorized 3rd party.

Unread 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
Foxrac
FOX

Quote:
Very. They're not allowed to repeat your information to anyone.
Ok, I never use VP for banking.

I only meet in person at bank and communication in writing.

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Quote:

Do it all the time. If the interpreter revealed my info to anyone else, that person would be terminated and if my info was compromised, there could be some sort of legal problem, although I dunno how that part works.

Unread 02-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #15
diehardbiker

I have done VP calls with Wells Fargo and Bank of America without ANY issue. That was after 10 digit local number becomes mandatory. During the days of proxy number, meaning anyone can make up 10 digit fake number, I can't place calls with bank. Glad it was over.

Quote:

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 02-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #16
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Quote:
I have done VP calls with Wells Fargo and Bank of America without ANY issue. That was after 10 digit local number becomes mandatory. During the days of proxy number, meaning anyone can make up 10 digit fake number, I can't place calls with bank. Glad it was over.
Same here, and I make sure to use numbers that are under my own name, and not someone else's VP number, as that could cause problems.

Unread 02-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
Calvin

Liked 176 Times in 90 Posts
VRS service is a professional serviceand is not allowed to use any personal info to anyone else. That's why we don't know the interpreter's name only use the number and letter ID. I'm not sure why they choose to use Skype for interpreter as it is not professional and risky to compromise your personal information. I've used Sorenson and never had issues as they know the law and has always been professional since I use their service.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #18
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
VRS service is a professional serviceand is not allowed to use any personal info to anyone else. That's why we don't know the interpreter's name only use the number and letter ID. I'm not sure why they choose to use Skype for interpreter as it is not professional and risky to compromise your personal information. I've used Sorenson and never had issues as they know the law and has always been professional since I use their service.
Same here. I wouldn't trust certain VRS providers with that information. SVRS is the only one I trust.

Unread 02-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #19
MangaReader

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Do it all the time. If the interpreter revealed my info to anyone else, that person would be terminated and if my info was compromised, there could be some sort of legal problem, although I dunno how that part works.
uh..murder isn't an option. It's against the law.

On a serious note, I usually use Live Help online when I need to talk to the bank. I love live help.
MangaReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #20
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaReader View Post
uh..murder isn't an option. It's against the law.

On a serious note, I usually use Live Help online when I need to talk to the bank. I love live help.
No killing. I'll just sue the person for comproming my info, if I ever found out who it was, but I've never had that issue, so I think I'll be all right.

Unread 02-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #21
diehardbiker

This is for Sorenson VRS, I have no idea how other VRS works. Very important is jot down the operator ID number, date and time. If terp have misconduct or violated any of policy. This is very easy part, because all VRS operators have only one duty and that is very simple… relay the conversation between two parties. Nothing more, nothing less, as if the operator was not exist in conversation between two parties and that is the way it was supposed to be. Anything beyond that E mail VRSCOMMENTS@Sorenson.com, all of E mail though VRScomments@sorenson is treated with utmost confidential. Only very limited number of employees has access to it and their job is to pass to proper management and the management will take from there. It is very easy to fire anyone inside the company if they failed to comply the regulation.

But for other VRS provider, ask them whats E mail address for complaint. They should give you one. I tried one of VRS provider and they gave me customer care phone number which is NOT acceptable by me. This is one of reason why I am comfortable with Sorenson… The less people involved the easier to track down. Customer care phone? Too many people involved and there could be biased. I rather E mail to prevent from being biased.

Quote:

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 02-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #22
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Quote:
This is for Sorenson VRS, I have no idea how other VRS works. Very important is jot down the operator ID number, date and time. If terp have misconduct or violated any of policy. This is very easy part, because all VRS operators have only one duty and that is very simple… relay the conversation between two parties. Nothing more, nothing less, as if the operator was not exist in conversation between two parties and that is the way it was supposed to be. Anything beyond that E mail VRSCOMMENTS@Sorenson.com, all of E mail though VRScomments@sorenson is treated with utmost confidential. Only very limited number of employees has access to it and their job is to pass to proper management and the management will take from there. It is very easy to fire anyone inside the company if they failed to comply the regulation.

But for other VRS provider, ask them whats E mail address for complaint. They should give you one. I tried one of VRS provider and they gave me customer care phone number which is NOT acceptable by me. This is one of reason why I am comfortable with Sorenson… The less people involved the easier to track down. Customer care phone? Too many people involved and there could be biased. I rather E mail to prevent from being biased.
This'll come in handy some day if SOMEONE does something stupid. As for other VRS providers, here are the ones I know of:

ZVRS: help@zvrs.com

Convo: help@convorelay.com

As for Purple, I'm not too sure, but let me check my phone's contact list. Pretty sure it's in there somewhere.

Unread 02-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #23
diehardbiker

Your welcome, and you see "Help@Xvrs.com" That is too loosen contact method. This type of contact could mean anything and generally open to anyone inside the company. They should have dedicate contact for any complaints or compliments because these kinds of comment is very sensitive. What if you contact acmeVRS technical support and that agent was nasty to you, so you e mail to help@acmeVRS.com and its a seriously MAYBE that bad agent sees it, he/she can delete them and nobody knows about it andy nothing is being done about it.

I would be comfortable sending complaints or comments to comments@acmeVRS.com instead of help@acmeVRS.com

Quote:

ZVRS: help@zvrs.com

Convo: help@convorelay.com

As for Purple, I'm not too sure, but let me check my phone's contact list. Pretty sure it's in there somewhere.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #24
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Quote:
Your welcome, and you see "Help@Xvrs.com" That is too loosen contact method. This type of contact could mean anything and generally open to anyone inside the company. They should have dedicate contact for any complaints or compliments because these kinds of comment is very sensitive. What if you contact acmeVRS technical support and that agent was nasty to you, so you e mail to help@acmeVRS.com and its a seriously MAYBE that bad agent sees it, he/she can delete them and nobody knows about it andy nothing is being done about it.

I would be comfortable sending complaints or comments to comments@acmeVRS.com instead of help@acmeVRS.com
You're right. My Yahoo Address book has more detail, but my phone doesn't have access to it.

Unread 02-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #25
qwerty123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuatara View Post

ASL Don't use SKYPE for banking! - YouTube

Skype isnt certified nor approved VRS provider therefore not subject to confidentially laws

get a vp to stay safe
qwerty123 is offline   Reply With Quote