Is There Such a Thing as an ASL Drawl?

Levonian

Reaction score
Somebody on another message board that I’m a member of posted an interesting question yesterday. He’s doing some sort of research on the subject of signed languages and the judicial system. What he asked was this: do people in the South sign more slowly than in other parts of the country? In other words, is there an ASL equivalent of a Texas drawl? He assured everybody that it’s a serious question—he made it clear that he wasn’t trying to poke fun at Southerners. Does anybody have an opinion on this?

I have noticed that in the West, like Utah, people do sign slower than back in my home state of New Jersey. And drawl? The only thing that comes to my mind is regional signs that you don't see elsewhere. I keep signing hospital in my New Jersey sign (not by intention) and it always makes Utahns wonder what I just said LOL.

Yes, I have noticed that deafies from the North do sign faster than the deafies here in the South. I have friends who have moved from the North, and we have talked about it after getting to know each other, and we have discovered that they think we sign too slow and we think they sign too fast.

I haven't really thought about a drawl, except like the previous post said, some signs are slightly different.

Back