WARNING: Hartz and Other Similar Products

KarissaMann05

Premium Member
Reaction score
Currently, I just learned something that is so important to watch a message video and to read some information about Hartz and another similar products. Wow, it's so horrible!! I added a few stories whose are from Hartz Victims dot Org.

You probably don't have any problem with those toxic products, but still-- I thought you should know about the company...

Hartz flea and tick medication is poison - YouTube

My babygirl Peanut <3 I miss you
by R.I.P. PEANUT

I have been debating for a while to post my story. But I feel like I need to out of respect. Exuse me for any language that may have swears. I hope that all employees of Hartz rot in hell. Last July, I lost my bestfriend. She was a chihuahua and I had her since I was a young chilld. She was 7 years old when she passed away.I'm 13 years old. It was back in July, a ordinary day. When my mom bought Hartz Flea and tick medicen for chihuahuas. The next day after my mom has applied it to her, she was limping. I thought nothing of it, because she had had problems previously with her legs. But just to make sure, I told my mom. The next day, my mom went online, and did some reasearch. She found out that dogs and cats were dying because of This stupid shit. My mom imediatly called the vets, they told her to wash Peanut in dawn dish liquid. We did as we were told.

After we brought her to the vets. They checked her out and said she would pass it. We went home, and kept a close watch on her. That night, she was laying in her bed in my moms room. And my mom woke up because Peanut was having a siezure. My mom yelled for me. I jumped out of bed and ran out to my moms room. My mom in tears. Peanut just sitting there, lost. Confused. We then panniced and brought her to the vets. When we got there, they took her away to examine her. They then had us come into the back room where she was, and my mom asked if she was going to beat it If she wasn't then my mom was going to have her put down, so she wouldn't have to deal with the pain.. The vet assured us she would. A long night. I went home. Cried myself to sleep. Thinking something might happen, and I would wake up to her gone. I woke up. She was okay. My mom and my family took her outside and she was walking and playing and being her old self again. We thought that she was going to be fine. So we thought. The next day she was back to siezures and she was very sick. I was holding her, then she had a big siezure. That was by far the most terrifying thing I had ever seen in my life.

My mom wanted a second opinion. So we got into the car. My bestfriend next to me in her bed.. suffering. We brought her into the vets and to an examine room. My mom set her down to walk..Peanut then had diahrea all over the floor. There was blood. Losts of blood. Then she immedietly went into another iezure. They took her away quickyly into the backroom. We waited for hours in the waiting room. They then called us back into the room and I walked in, and saw her in a big cage with a cone around her neck. They told us they had done an IV. Also that she was doing better. I had hope. But they told us she needed to stay over night. So we went home. That was the last time I saw her. The last time I saw my bestfriend. The following morning we got a call.. The vets. During the night when they weren't there. She passed away. Alone. In a dark room with no one there. Is this what Hartz wants? To kill innocent animals. Kill little girls bestfriends? It so bad, That I sleep with her bed. The last things she layed in before I left. I cry myself to sleep almost ever single night. I HOPE YOUR FUCKING HAPPY HARTZ. THANK YOU FOR TAKING AWAY MY BESTFRIEND.
Charlie
by sclemen3

My boyfriend and I took in two little kittens on October 19th, 2012 that had been abandoned behind his workplace. Being only 3 weeks old, judging by their size, they were completely helpless, so, ever since then, they have been with us and we love them more than anything in the world. They had been getting a lot of fleas and, since they were finally old enough, we decided to go and purchase some flea collars. We got the Hartz Ultra Guard Reflecting Flea and Tick Collar for Cats and Kittens 12 weeks and older. These collars are advertised as 'break-away' collars, so we thought that they would be perfect, especially since they are a few weeks older than the age that Hartz said was safe. Charlie, our little 15 week old kitten was the first to try one of these collars this morning. About fifteen minutes after putting a flea collar on him, we heard the noise of the cat struggling to breathe. When we ran into the room, were horrified to see that his lower jaw was stuck on the flea collar and that he was bleeding from the mouth. After struggling to rip off the so-called 'break away' collar, I was finally forced to cut it off, freeing his air passageways. He is on my lap right now, covered in blood and if my boyfriend and I had not been here to save him, I have no doubt that we would have come home to find him dead, suffocated by this 'break away' flea collar. Thank God that he is okay now and we can work to move past this event. But, there are countless animals that have died at the hands of Hartz. For people who have animals, they are like our children; we love them and they love us unconditionally in return. They do not deserve to suffer at the hands of companies like this. Through our research this morning, we also learned about the Sergeant's Gold Flea bath (which we have been using on them since they started getting fleas) and about how it has harmed countless animals. Thank God that our Charlie is safe. I am so sorry to the people who have lost their animals because of this company. The Hartz Company needs to be stopped. I have created a Facebook group, supporting the boycott of all Hartz products. I urge you to please join. There is power in numbers; we can take this company down.
Here is the link to the Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hartzkills/

If this link doesn't work, the name of the group is 'Do Not Support the Hartz Company.'
Kills fleas (& DOGS & CATS) in as little as 1 hour!
by queenb

No human being and no innocent animal should have to go through this horror. I am so thankful I found this site! (It was actually the first thing that popped up in a Google search for Sergeant's Gold Flea & Tick). It encouraged us to act and to act fast – hopefully saving my dog's life. I am donating what I can in gratitude/hope. THIS COMPANY SHOULD BE BANNED FROM SELLING PET PRODUCTS. FDA are you listening?!?!?

I applied a 6ml packet of Sergeant's Gold to my 1 year old Siberian Husky. I did not use the entire tube as it seemed like there was way too much, more than when I use Frontline or Advantix. I also made a point not to get ANY on myself as I remember having a weird 'oral' reaction to it the one other time I applied it. I washed my hands, I put blankets on all the furniture and warned my husband "Do not touch the dog!". Approximately 30 minutes later I got a glass of water for myself – it tasted extremely metallic. I got a different glass and filled it with Coca-Cola.. same thing. I thought "Here I go again, this can't be healthy". About this time my husband yells "ASPEN IS HAVING A SEIZURE!". I ran in and saw my dog staring blankly at the wall and trembling severely, legs splayed. "Call poison control, call the vet, call the ER vet, Google this flea & tick stuff now!". I began calling the vet and he read to me what he was finding online. Our hearts sank! The ER vet agreed that we should bathe her and asked me the brand name. I said "Sergeant's Gold Flea & Tick" and she responded "Yes. Give her a bath then bring her in immediately. THAT STUFF CAUSES A LOT OF PROBLEMS". We lifted my struggling dog into the bath- she had no control of her legs and was shaking uncontrollably.

She is now staying overnight per the recommendation of Poison Control. She was given another bath, muscle relaxers, and is on IV fluids. If she is not better tomorrow she will stay and be seen by a neurologist next week. The cost is estimated to be $775 – $2,600. I'm just hoping she lives.

My dog was the picture of health. A beautiful, fit, and fun-loving creature. We spent the week enjoying her first snow in a national park. We spent this afternoon at a dog park. Tonight I feel like the worst 'mom' on Earth. But mainly I am livid with the lack of attention our government gives this. I only thought I was keeping her free of fleas and ticks.

The ER vet said my family vet would be sending a report to the company. I will be sending them a plea to stop senseless heartache of pet owners. I will also be writing to this address:
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
10903 New Hampshire Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20993
Crazy Pissed Off Cat
by odessa

Yesterday we gave our cat Hartz flea and tick collar… (Having no idea this site existed). She was acting weird after we put it on her, running around the house scared then went to one of her hiding spots. Didn't think anything of it until this morning when she peed in my bed. She has NEVER done that before, so I started looking up side effects and found this site. I immediately cut her collar off. Haven't seen a change yet, going to give her time to calm down. I am in shock after reading all these posts…how are they still in the stores.
Oreo is a tough cookie
by iloveoreo

On Dec. 6th, 2012 I found a round worm in my shitzus fesces. I went to work and when I got home I decided to give her some Hartz Ultra Guard plus ridworm liquid. That evening she was fine. The next afternoon when we were watching tv, she tried to jump up to sit with us and she could not. she tried several times and still not able to. I tried to pick her up and she yelped at me and bit me cause it hurt her. I thought someone had come into my yard and hurt her. She layed down and went to sleep for a bit then she just stumbled around and stared at walls and things like she was seeing ghost. I thought she had nausea or had ate something bad. She is not able to leave yard, so that didnt make sense. We went to bed and she whined all night. She could not walk the next morning. We could not touch her. If we tried she backed up. She would not get up. Not eating or drinking much. Her eyes were goopy and small, she had fever, and pain. got on web and found this sight. I finally coaxed her into going outside to try to potty and pass this awful medicine. We was in the yard for 1 and 1/2 hours. She wanted to crawl off and lay down. I cried. Got a blanket and got her on it and we both picked her up with it and took her in. The vet was not open but someone told me if she got worse that they had the home number. We pushed food and water on her as much as we could and let her sleep like a baby. She would only eat very soft food. She couldn,t go to potty without going down a ramp. The stairs she used was impossible for her to do. Today she finally went to potty real big and is eating better. she is still tender and not jumping yet but she is better. I will never give an pet of mine another hartz product or even shampoo her in their products. Only natural products from now on. I am so glad that she is going to make it. She isn't 100% but she is better and still with us.
From Hartz Victims

[...] The purpose of this site is to raise awareness and provide a one-stop website where consumers and victims can find information on the lethal Hartz Advanced Care and other over-the-counter flea and tick drops. It is up to us to get these products off the shelves! There are thousands of us who have paid unnecessary vet bills. I urge you to read the stories that have been submitted to HartzVictims.org since 2002. You can submit your own news or story by registering at HartzVictims.org. We will review and post your story as quickly as possible. Please come back to read updates and find new user-submitted stories, comments, helpful links and alternative pet products to keep your four-legged family members healthy and happy! [...]

From Hartz Kills

[...] You have to pick your battles, and I choose to wage mine against companies like Hartz, Sergeant's, Wellmark, and Farnam, who make billions of dollars each year manufacturing highly toxic flea and tick "treatments." These products sit on the shelves of every grocery store, drug store, major pet supply store, and big-box store in the United States, and they have poisoned and killed more cats and dogs than you can possibly imagine.

I am also here to blow the whistle on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), which has given these deadly products the all-important stamp of approval in spite of the massive numbers of poisonings and deaths associated with their use. I can't help but wonder how many lobbyists Hartz et al have in Washington, D.C. [...]

- Hartz Victims
- Hartz Kills

I hear so much bad stuff about Hartz. I'm not touching their products.

All my pets get FrontLine when it comes to tick control.

When and if our dog gets fleas, we treat the yard instead of putting poison (Hartz or any other kind) on him. We have a rash of fleas once a year, I believe in the summer. So I started pre-treating our yard for the past two years and she hasn't had any since. It seems to be working great!

10200925.jpg

Not everyone wants to spray pesticides though.

Vets have always told me....Hartz products are crap....anything but Hartz!.....My kitty and doggie have used Frontline, Advantage, then Comfortis...now I've switched to Trifexis. This pill protects from fleas and parasities and heart worms, all in one...cost a litle more, but well worth it.....

My Vet said that a dog/cat who had been on Advantage for a while, sometimes becomes resistant to it....as I found a flea on my doggie, even tho' she had Advantage...

Here in Florida, it's a constant battle with Fleas...just recently, a friend brought her doggie over and was not protected from fleas....I had to call my exterminator to spray...and he also told me that I was to vacuum every other day, for 2 weeks.....the house and the furniture, pet bedding, etc....and to be sure to change the vacuum bag each time.....It worked!....

Outside animals really suffer from flea bites....squirrels, geese, ducks are carriers of fleas also....

Ah, I'm so relief that you guys are aware. :D

I seriously had no idea until someone shared the important message from one FB anti-declawing page. So, I warned my family because I don't think they know something, so it's better to be informed than it gets too late.

Thankfully, we never buy anything from Hartz or similar products. We just prefer to buy natural products from local vets or certain stores that they recommend us.

Ah, I'm so relief that you guys are aware. :D

I seriously had no idea until someone shared the important message from one FB anti-declawing page. So, I warned my family because I don't think they know something, so it's better to be informed than it gets too late.

Thankfully, we never buy anything from Hartz or similar products. We just prefer to buy natural products from local vets or certain stores that they recommend us.

I wasn't aware. Thank you for sharing. We may not use Hartz products but we have pets. They are very much a part of our family.

We use Frontline on recommenation of our vet.

My daughter used that Hartz on her cats, and one was temporarily paralyzed but he recovered.

:wave: :ty: Karissa for the reminder about Hartz.

I do not use any chemical flea or tick preventative at all. No fleas collars, nothing - in Spring and Summer we use high levels of garlic as recommended by our holistic vet; also use a herbal essential oil parasite repellant and feed raw food.

Brewer's Yeast and Garlic Tablets for Dogs and Cats will also help keep fleas off of pets. Natural flea control products are not always save , just because something is natural mean it can't make dog sick. I brought Marty a natural flea collar from a natural grocery store and after putting the collar on my dog I started getting a headache within half a hour. I checks out the contents and saw Pennyroyal oil was used in the collar and looked it up on line and found it can cause headaches and is not safe for pets. I return the collar and got my money back.

yes, you're right about that, whatdidyousay! -

Like, raisins are quiet natural and fine for people but there's some kind of toxicity issue with raisins and dogs.

Or, Garlic in high too high amounts for your dog's weight and/or without vet supervision - can be an issue

It's good you thought about that and checked into the collar you bought-

I have been aware of their dangerous products for a long time. That is why I never buy them for my cat.

If you think this thread is important message, please share it with your family, friends, co-workers, or anybody you personally know. It would be great! :)

yes, you're right about that, whatdidyousay! -

Like, raisins are quiet natural and fine for people but there's some kind of toxicity issue with raisins and dogs.

Or, Garlic in high too high amounts for your dog's weight and/or without vet supervision - can be an issue

It's good you thought about that and checked into the collar you bought-

Marty did not like the collar too, he just when and laid down and would not move , and that really got me concerned.

Back