AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > On-topic Debates
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
yizuman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cuts on SSI/SSDI?

I'm told there may be cuts involved on our disability checks starting with the Fiscal Sequestration January 2nd, 2013.

Anyone know anything about it?

yizuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yizuman View Post
I'm told there may be cuts involved on our disability checks starting with the Fiscal Sequestration January 2nd, 2013.

No.

Quote:
The scope of the law excludes major mandatory programs such as Social Security and Medicare.
United States fiscal cliff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
deafdrummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to deafdrummer
However, even if SSDI is left alone per the mandatory status, the tax cut that would no longer be in place would serve as a "reduction" in overall income if you do work on an annual basis. Question is, which will be higher, the difference in this year's tax rate versus next year's tax rate, or the COLA increase we're supposed to get next year?

If your tax rate was, say 14% this year, and next year it goes up to 16%, and your COLA increase is only 1.2%, then yeah, you have a "reduction" in your total income for 2013. Never mind the fact that you also have a reduction in income via inflation that you see in rising prices (which is caused by an expanding money supply).
deafdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
CrazyPaul

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yizuman View Post

The law forbids any cuts on SSI/SSDI and SS retirement benefits.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
radioman
Premium Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
no cuts - but your medicare coverage may be impacted.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
diehardbiker

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Not accurate! Law CAN change and as what it stands, its still up in the air. There is no such laws that prevents government from cutting the benefits. I just checked.

They (Government) already discussing about entitlement reform. SSI/SSDI and SS are part of entitlements.

My point is don't assume they won't touch entitlements and be prepared. I am not saying that they will cut SSI/SSDI/SS and I hope it won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
diehardbiker

Its just a talk, they have not passed anything to prevent fiscal cliff. The medicare cuts were also discussed at capitol hill recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
no cuts - but your medicare coverage may be impacted.

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
whatdidyousay!

Liked 116 Times in 91 Posts
I don't know about any cuts happening but I sure would not count getting any
COLA for next year. Has anyone gotten any letters saying they're getting more $$$ in 2013??
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
diehardbiker

In history, it shows that laws CAN be changed. There was two laws that were made to make sure it never repeals. That law were written to prevent the repeal (Cancel the law), and it failed on first one, second one I predict anytime within 10 years from now. The first one was alcohol prohibition, the law was written that won't allow congress repeal that law. That was back in 1918, guess what happened? They were repealed ANYWAY and we are now allowed to drink booze. During early 70's President Nixon had congress create the law as we know "War on drugs", and it was written to prevent anyone from repeal them. We now know that "War on drugs" have been failed miserable, now two states just passed by votes. US government is now so broke, this creates even greater possible that we will repeal that 70's law. So, you think government will create law and leave as it is indefinitely? Don't bet on it.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Tousi

Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
Yeah? Evidence, please......
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
Not accurate! Law CAN change and as what it stands, its still up in the air. There is no such laws that prevents government from cutting the benefits. I just checked.

They (Government) already discussing about entitlement reform. SSI/SSDI and SS are part of entitlements.

My point is don't assume they won't touch entitlements and be prepared. I am not saying that they will cut SSI/SSDI/SS and I hope it won't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
http://www.alldeaf.com/2129404-post57.html

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 12-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdidyousay! View Post
I don't know about any cuts happening but I sure would not count getting any
COLA for next year. Has anyone gotten any letters saying they're getting more $$$ in 2013??
You should get a letter sometime this month, in December.

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 12-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
diehardbiker

Don't forget Fiscal cliff. The COLA information is just an announcement of average cost of living increase. It does not necessarily mean that SS checks will go up by guarantee.

The cuts COULD cancel the COLA increase for January if congress passed them, and could cut them even further.

My point is, there is NO guarantees that it will go up or down and either way will happen. As of right now, no one really knows where we are heading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrac View Post

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Don't forget Fiscal cliff. The COLA information is just an announcement of average cost of living increase. It does not necessarily mean that SS checks will go up by guarantee.

The cuts COULD cancel the COLA increase for January if congress passed them, and could cut them even further.

My point is, there is NO guarantees that it will go up or down and either way will happen. As of right now, no one really knows where we are heading.
That's not what CP was talking about.

He claims that law says that benefits cannot be cut to reduce the expenses, so he believes that existing benefits will be protected, however it will affect the new applicants.

If we goes over the cliff so the spending on some portion of entitlement will be reduced, so it is likely to affect the new applicants, but there are more spending cut with various programs, including defense.

The law require COLA for SS, SSDI, SSI, so it is based on inflation, if there is no inflation so it won't raise, if there is inflation, so it will raise. If you are talking about cancel the COLA so good luck with democrats because they won't cancel those.

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 12-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
diehardbiker

You know, the formula of COLA has been changed over years. Remember three years in row where there is obvious inflation but none of SS gets raise on checks. COLA can be adjusted, changed anytime and it is one of their dirty way of cutting the benefits without anyone realizes it.

Even with COLA since 1970's, do you realize people getting social security checks during 70's actually have more spending power than today. I believe that COLA was intended to find a loophole to cut the benefits without anyone start to voice their complaint.

Quote:
That's not what CP was talking about.

He claims that law says that benefits cannot be cut to reduce the expenses, so he believes that existing benefits will be protected, however it will affect the new applicants.

If we goes over the cliff so the spending on some portion of entitlement will be reduced, so it is likely to affect the new applicants, but there are more spending cut with various programs, including defense.

The law require COLA for SS, SSDI, SSI, so it is based on inflation, if there is no inflation so it won't raise, if there is inflation, so it will raise. If you are talking about cancel the COLA so good luck with democrats because they won't cancel those.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #16
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
You know, the formula of COLA has been changed over years. Remember three years in row where there is obvious inflation but none of SS gets raise on checks. COLA can be adjusted, changed anytime and it is one of their dirty way of cutting the benefits without anyone realizes it.

Even with COLA since 1970's, do you realize people getting social security checks during 70's actually have more spending power than today. I believe that COLA was intended to find a loophole to cut the benefits without anyone start to voice their complaint.
What was max monthly for SSI in 1970's for single person?

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
diehardbiker

Please study "Spending power" what does that mean?

For example, in 70's car you can buy brand new car for less than $5K, now how much for same nice car? Probably around $25K, so that is 5 times more than it was 40 years ago. Now, if one earns same wage as it was in 70's and now, do they have same spending power? You can answer that question yourself.

Quote:
What was max monthly for SSI in 1970's for single person?

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Please study "Spending power" what does that mean?

For example, in 70's car you can buy brand new car for less than $5K, now how much for same nice car? Probably around $25K, so that is 5 times more than it was 40 years ago. Now, if one earns same wage as it was in 70's and now, do they have same spending power? You can answer that question yourself.
I googled "spending power" but turned into nothing, except talk about government, etc.

There is problem in 1970's because inflation was high, so not went back to normal until early 1980's.
The Great Inflation Of The 1970s

I checked the inflation calculator, so it is normal for prices goes up based on inflation.
Quote:
What cost $5000 in 1974 would cost $22488.01 in 2011.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2011 and 1974,
they would cost you $5000 and $1030.58 respectively.
The Inflation Calculator

The minimum wage was $2 per hour in 1974.
Federal Minimum Wage Rates, 1955

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
spending power = ability to afford anything within your means based on your income. the higher your income is, the more spending power you have.
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #20
diehardbiker

Your getting warmer. Im speaking for PERSONAL spending power. SSI back then would be close to 300 dollars, and today is about ten times more expensive to live on, and if that is fact, we should be seeing $3000 SSI check, but it only either doubles or triples that is all.

More and more can't afford nice apartment with SSI checks nowadays than it was back in 1974 which is when SSI started.

And I'm starting to hear people who lives on SS and their primary heat source is Oil, more and more of them are left cold cause they can't afford expensive oil heating like they used to be. There are places that the only way to heat the house is Oil, Propane and wood. For example almost entire state of Maine don't have natural gas pipeline. COLA isn't even include this type of inflation because the cost of natural gas pulls the average way down to make it looks like it is cheap to live on but reality it is not.

I'm speaking for APPLE VS APPLE not Apple VS Orange.

Have you noticed some food packages at supermarket getting smaller but the price is the same, it is one way they inflate the true cost, and it can messed up with COLA calculation.

Quote:
I googled "spending power" but turned into nothing, except talk about government, etc.

There is problem in 1970's because inflation was high, so not went back to normal until early 1980's.
The Great Inflation Of The 1970s

I checked the inflation calculator, so it is normal for prices goes up based on inflation.

The Inflation Calculator

The minimum wage was $2 per hour in 1974.
Federal Minimum Wage Rates, 1955

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
diehardbiker

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
spending power = ability to afford anything within your means based on your income. the higher your income is, the more spending power you have.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
diehardbiker

Another example of meaning of Spending power, you got X amount of SSI check in Alabama where you live. And you decided to move up next to Jiro's residence and still get same SSI check amount, will you be able to buy everything exact same as when you were in Alabama? I'm sure Jiro knows the answer.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Your getting warmer. Im speaking for PERSONAL spending power. SSI back then would be close to 300 dollars, and today is about ten times more expensive to live on, and if that is fact, we should be seeing $3000 SSI check, but it only either doubles or triples that is all.

More and more can't afford nice apartment with SSI checks nowadays than it was back in 1974 which is when SSI started.

And I'm starting to hear people who lives on SS and their primary heat source is Oil, more and more of them are left cold cause they can't afford expensive oil heating like they used to be. There are places that the only way to heat the house is Oil, Propane and wood. For example almost entire state of Maine don't have natural gas pipeline. COLA isn't even include this type of inflation because the cost of natural gas pulls the average way down to make it looks like it is cheap to live on but reality it is not.

I'm speaking for APPLE VS APPLE not Apple VS Orange.

Have you noticed some food packages at supermarket getting smaller but the price is the same, it is one way they inflate the true cost, and it can messed up with COLA calculation.
$3,000 per month of SSI paycheck - Oh my god and I seriously doubt that our government could afford without extreme tax increase, so however, live on welfare is technically sucks. I have sympathy for some Americans who unable to work at all due to disabilities.

In here, the oil isn't common use for heating so most of them use electricity or natural gas for heating, also we don't have to use much heating as like in northern states.

Last question - yes, especially ice cream, but there are plenty of foods that I remember from 1990's don't have much change, so I only notice is ice cream, but I only see price goes up as package size is same.

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #24
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Another example of meaning of Spending power, you got X amount of SSI check in Alabama where you live. And you decided to move up next to Jiro's residence and still get same SSI check amount, will you be able to buy everything exact same as when you were in Alabama? I'm sure Jiro knows the answer.
I already done with those - Alabama vs. Washington DC

DC is more expensive to live, especially food prices are about twice or triple cost more than in here and the rent is expensive.

The max SSI is same in most US states, except for California and some states, you can earn more SSI.

Note: I don't have SSI anymore, so it has been for year now.

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #25
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
If you are SSI user in Alabama so you will live in ghetto area with shitty public transportation, or isolated rural with expensive driving, so the life is hard, no matter about how cheap is. The Medicaid in here is abysmal and we are probably number 1 worst Medicaid provider ever due to too fewer doctors accept that. The utility bill, especially water and sewer are very high if you live in Jefferson County because of sewer crisis.

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 12-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #27
diehardbiker

Right, but if your in 1974, you won't have any issue finding a nice apartment with SSI money back then. Now, not anymore. How did it happened? It is COLA that is miscalculated and effectively cuts SSI checks over time without anyone even notice.

Quote:
If you are SSI user in Alabama so you will live in ghetto area with shitty public transportation, or isolated rural with expensive driving, so the life is hard, no matter about how cheap is. The Medicaid in here is abysmal and we are probably number 1 worst Medicaid provider ever due to too fewer doctors accept that. The utility bill, especially water and sewer are very high if you live in Jefferson County because of sewer crisis.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #28
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Right, but if your in 1974, you won't have any issue finding a nice apartment with SSI money back then. Now, not anymore. How did it happened? It is COLA that is miscalculated and effectively cuts SSI checks over time without anyone even notice.
Oh really? wow... who is major fault for mess up the SSI?

The public transportation was great in Birmingham until around 1960's/1970's and the big reform went to massive cut on lines and schedules due to lack of riderships, even we had street cars and commuter trains in past, but not anymore.

Patriot Guard Riders
Unread 12-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #29
diehardbiker

Not just COLA itself, there are also other factors that cause messed up.

I don't trust our government but I love my country.

Quote:
Oh really? wow... who is major fault for mess up the SSI?

The public transportation was great in Birmingham until around 1960's/1970's and the big reform went to massive cut on lines and schedules due to lack of riderships, even we had street cars and commuter trains in past, but not anymore.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #30
CrazyPaul

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
Please read post #11 by Foxrac.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote