CVAA: Web Captions REQUIRED starting TODAY

ncmacasl

Reaction score
Today is the start day!

All NEW programming (but not live or near-live like, SNL, Leno, Conan, news) that was shown on TV (broadcast, cable, satellite, Pay-per-view) on or after April 30, 2012 MUST (as of September 30, 2012) be shown WITH captions when shown on the internet (through web browser, mobile device or other internet appliance -- Roku, Wii, Xbox, PS3 -- regardless of website or app Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, Crackle, CBS.com).

So all new episodes since April 30th should now be captioned on line. If not, you can complain on line here:

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000C

Find any violations? or something you THINK might be a violation? post them here.

Focus on website violations, since hardware (roku, wii, etc.) is not required to be updated until 2014, even though most *DO* have captions.

This includes new TV Show episodes, Made-for-TV movies & mini-series, Special shows (comedy specials, etc. *if* they are not live or near-live) and Theater movies.

Old TV shows (called archive content) like The Cosby Show, Seinfeld, are still exempt (for now).

Thanks for the announcement. BTW, the new law is not that good for us yet. In other words, FCC is too fucking slow.

It should be mandatory for all DVDs as well.

Laura

Closed captioning on 6abc.com | 6abc.com

In order to better serve our hearing impaired viewers, and to comply with newly established Internet protocol (IP) regulations and guidelines from the Federal Communications Commission WPVI-TV is now presenting captions on all full-length pre-recorded video programming that has been broadcast on television and has not been edited for the Internet.

It's the first phase in a set of new rules from the Federal Communications Commission, requiring distributors of television programming to provide closed captioning to assist viewers who are deaf or hard-of-hearing as part of the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010 (CVAA).

6abc/WPVI-TV is committed to full compliance with the FCC regulations on the CVAA, and we will continue to advise viewers of our plans on this website in the coming months.

For more information visit, the FCC's page on Captioning of Internet Programming.

They might as well leave out the bolded part since they're only doing it because it's required now.

When I sent a complaint a year or so ago about news stories that had been on the TV and were available online not having the captioning online, I got a letter back that pretty much said "we're not required to so we don't". So much for caring about their deaf/HoH viewers.

Closed captioning on 6abc.com | 6abc.com

They might as well leave out the bolded part since they're only doing it because it's required now.

When I sent a complaint a year or so ago about news stories that had been on the TV and were available online not having the captioning online, I got a letter back that pretty much said "we're not required to so we don't". So much for caring about their deaf/HoH viewers.

I looked but I couldn't see any qualifying videos that require CCs. Perhaps they were all removed since CCs arent set up yet.

Thanks! I've gotten cwtv.com's ass in trouble for failing to provide captioning for The Vampire Diaries' Memorial episode this past week. I'm tired of this bullshit.

Correct!! The Vampire Diaries Season 4, Episode 2 "Memorial" @ CWTV.COM Which orignally aired on CW-TV on October 18, 2012 does NOT have captions for Internet Viewing.

Episode Link: http://cwtv.com/cw-video/the-vampire-diaries/memorial/?play=93330b62-6806-4ceb-b306-17c758e7e6fe

This is a clear violation of the FCC's CVAA law!!

EVERYONE pls feel free to complain on this!!

How to Complain to FCC??: read my blog post here:

ncmacasl's blog: Netflix InstantWatch Subtitles: Instructions on filling out the CVAA FCC Complaint form

I had to google subtitles for that episode, open it into a text file, and hover the text file over the browser with the episode playing, and I would have to scroll down and keep the audio matched up with the subtitles myself.

The question is do the video businesses involved know about the new law now? Maybe some of them are still not aware. FCC, do your job if you haven't done so. (I know FCC will never read this message!)

Deafdrummer, yes, this bullshit needs to stop. :mad:

ncmacasl, :ty: very much for the complaint link which is important for many of us. I really appreciate it. I suggest that this thread should be made sticky so that will make it easier for us to find your link to file a complaint anytime or make a new thread to be sticky for that purpose.

The question is do the video businesses involved know about the new law now? Maybe some of them are still not aware. FCC, do your job if you haven't done so. (I know FCC will never read this message!)

ncmacasl, :ty: very much for the complaint link which is important for many of us. I really appreciate it. I suggest that this thread should be made sticky so that will make it easier for us to find your link to file a complaint anytime or make a new thread to be sticky for that purpose.

Yes they knew since April and most have legal departments who are supposed to know about these things to prevent law suits or fines.

Also Captioning companies have been using the new law to help sell their services.

huzzzah...

yet, still plenty of new shows, commercial are broadcast w/o CC or subtitles. yawn.

Fuzzy

Netflix 2013 or 2014 I believe it Caption Captions will host!

serious! well, waste of times on sticky reason..
because longest

Already problem on issues on Caption Caption , should be CC requires on reason!

http://deafreview.com/deafreview-news/fcc-deadlines/

http://www.nad.org/news/2012/4/fcc-announces-internet-captioning-deadlines

Looks like cwtv.com CLEARLY got the message, as the new episode of The Vampire Diaries was captioned.

Hello all of you! I do not post much here but I had to post here to show that I am thankful that I am not alone in this one! I am glad that the issue has addressed. Additionally, I want to share some of my feelings and see if I understand this.

As you know, this is the era when less people watch TV and more watch streaming videos, videos posted on the internet, netflix on other consoles, and vlogging [slang use of video blogging] etc. These has been enormous increase of wireless and mobile usage to send information all over the world. And I thought we were finding ourselves falling behind again.

As for me, I want to be involved with politics but it turns out to be more difficult to access any news with captions. Most articles, which I thought would be a written article or journal ends up with videos! These videos are never closed captioned even if it was uploaded the same day. To be honest, I have never seen news videos that had closed caption at all. It might be the sites that I am visiting.

But news and politics- I can't think of anything more important to have for deaf people to be involved with and have their voices heard. Movies and TV shows can be compromised easily. But what about documentary videos? I don't know what to say about old news. Old news are old news but they provide important information and insight about our nation's history. I wish there is some sort of a request form- like if you want a certain episode to be captioned, then they are required to provide the captions by law. But of course, the uploaders must have the copyrights. That is just an idea for older news. Top floor, the link seems not to be working. Where is the working complaint form?

Unfortunately, a lot of these informative, educational videos, made by completely independent people or people that are not affiliated with what they promote- and they do get fame and credit for their own videos. For goodness sake, they're making bloggers an actual OCCUPATION and are paid. Since they are private, they're not required to use closed caption. Also this counts stolen materials from any stations. It's depressing at times because it seems like so many hearing people can go on and connect with the world without us.

It is understandable that we're evolving into this type of era but if we don't keep our eyes open, they will forget us and move on with their up-to-date minds. Good job, guys. Glad to know we're on the move.

PS. I would be grateful if you guys could suggest me some reliable news/politics websites that are 'deaf-friendly' :giggle:

Instructions on the complaint form is here:

ncmacasl's blog: Netflix InstantWatch Subtitles: Instructions on filling out the CVAA FCC Complaint form

or copy and paste this URL:
Code:
http://ncmacasl.blogspot.com/2012/10/instructions-on-filling-out-cvaa-fcc.html

~~~~~~~~~~

FCC's CVAA Summary website (includes good explanation of the dates, etc.):
Captioning of Internet Video Programming | FCC.gov

Code:
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/captioning-internet-video-programming

~~~~~~~~~~

Actual FCC Complaint form (PDF: print and fill out, or fill out in Acrobat then "Save As" and send): http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/Form2000C.pdf

Code:
http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/Form2000C.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~

as for the CVAA law, it only applies to full-length episodes and movies, not clips. and live/Near-live (24 hours or less) programming is not included YET.

also, older movies and shows are NOT included YET. right now, only brand new TV shows and movies FIRST shown on or after Sept 30 2012 are included. but all of it (including documentaries) *is* included unless it is live/near live (so "60 Minutes" & "20/20" would *not* be covered yet since they both have live or near-live content)

eventually all the older movies and shows has to be captioned in a few years but only after it has been re-shown on TV with captions.

FCC (who wrote the New CVAA law) only has authority on BROADCAST TV and can therefore also pass laws about stuff that is FIRST shown on TV and THEN shown on Internet. or stuff that may have first been shown on internet but later shown on TV. Once it has been shown on TV, then the FCC can pass laws about it.

Hope this helps

Back