Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Current Events > Strange & Stupid News
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unread 03-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
rockin'robin

Liked 139 Times in 80 Posts
Man saws off own foot to continue receiving unemployment benefits

It sounds like the plot of a boring "Saw" film, but it's apparently all too real.

An unemployed Austrian man cut off his own foot with a mitre saw so he could continue receiving jobless benefits.

Hans Url, a 56-year-old from Mitterlabill, then took the foot and cooked it in the oven so doctors could not reattach it.

"The planning was meticulous," Franz Fasching, a police spokesman, told the Daily Mail. "[Url] waited until his wife and his adult son had left the house and he was alone. He then switched it on and sliced off his left foot above the ankle—throwing it in the fire so it would not be possible to reattach it before he called emergency services."

He "then made his way to the garage where he called emergency services and waited for them to arrive."

Url was airlifted to a hospital in Graz, where he was put in an artificial coma so doctors could stabilize him.

"The foot was too badly burned to reattach," a hospital spokesman said. "All we could do was seal the wound. He had lost a lot of blood—he almost died on the way to hospital."

According to the Austrian Times, Url had complained before the incident that he was too sick to work and "didn't like the work he was offered."

The kicker: According to the paper, being footless does not necessarily qualify Url for unemployment compensation.

"He will be assessed once he is out of hospital, and we will see what work we can find for him," Hermann Gössinger, a spokesman for the employment benefits office, said.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/man-saws-off-own-foot-continue-receiving-unemployment-211222700.html

rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
CSign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goodness gracious. This man needs a mental health assessment ASAP. Something is clearly wrong with him.
CSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
CSign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't it be ironic for him to get benefits because he was found to be mentally unstable?!?!
CSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 505 Times in 289 Posts
That's disgusting. There are plenty of amputees who want to work, not collect unemployment.
Unread 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
rockin'robin

I feel that if anybody is crazy enuf to saw off his foot because he doesn't want to work...IS actually crazy!
Unread 03-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Tousi

Liked 141 Times in 89 Posts
I noticed this is in Austria....anyway, is this the height of desperation or what?

I know the guy said he was too sick to work and now it appears that having a foot missing might not be enough to qualify for unemployment compensation.
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish he had sawed off his head.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
rockin'robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I wish he had sawed off his head.
...well, then he would collect unemployment!...oh no, wait!

Can't imagine the pain of what he did to himself....
Unread 03-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Cowpuppy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if unemployment doesn't work he'll likely get mental disability now
Cowpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
kokonut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Geez, what a sick puppy. All that just to avoid it?

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.

Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
That's ****in disgusting.

It does happen in USA so I doubtfully they could try to disable themselves to get welfare or we will be in serious trouble.

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #12
DeafTim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What? That's so ****ed up! Good lord, he must of really hate working.

Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
diehardbiker

Liked 66 Times in 55 Posts
I wouldn't jump into judgement before hearing other side of story.

After reading and he claimed due to his illness. What illness? We need to first ask what kind of job? What kind of illness?

Supposedly, this is just an example if the job offer is mowing the lawn and the illness is Asthma/allergens then that is valid reason for refusing take the job.

There are few jobs out there that I can not handle and will not take if offered. Thank god I had my current job which is just an office work.

I have heard cases where these agencies who provide safety net declined benefit because they aren't sick enough where they are seriously too sick to work.

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
kokonut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post

After reading and he claimed due to his illness. What illness? We need to first ask what kind of job? What kind of illness?

Supposedly, this is just an example if the job offer is mowing the lawn and the illness is Asthma/allergens then that is valid reason for refusing take the job.

There are few jobs out there that I can not handle and will not take if offered. Thank god I had my current job which is just an office work.

I have heard cases where these agencies who provide safety net declined benefit because they aren't sick enough where they are seriously too sick to work.
Dude, the guy sawed off his foot and put it in his oven and cooked it so it couldn't be re-attached, and then called emergency services. The dude is obviously sick in his mind the effort to continue to avoid any kind of work and receive jobless benefits instead.

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.

Unread 04-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
Tousi

Again, this is Austria but it just seems to me that the reason for cutting off his foot would be reason enough for denial of benefits, no?
Unread 04-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
rockin'robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
Again, this is Austria but it just seems to me that the reason for cutting off his foot would be reason enough for denial of benefits, no?
I would think so...since it was self-inflicted. But something this drastic to one's self, seems to show that the man was not playing with a full deck....

Many people who work at a job for 10-20 years, get really aggravated and bored and want a change of career (as I did) at one time....But, no way would I cut off my foot or my hand because I didn't like my job. Feel it's pretty evident this man has mental issues, and hoping he will get some help dealing with them...and if he gets well....he's gonna think...."What the hell did I do to my foot"?
Unread 04-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Cowpuppy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol... ironically I think it's a lot of work to go thru the rest of his life hopping and whatever.... down to collect his check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafTim View Post
What? That's so ****ed up! Good lord, he must of really hate working.
Cowpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
rockin'robin

Guess he'll be hopping on down to IHOP....and it's close to Easter.
Unread 04-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
Tousi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'robin View Post
I would think so...since it was self-inflicted. But something this drastic to one's self, seems to show that the man was not playing with a full deck....

Many people who work at a job for 10-20 years, get really aggravated and bored and want a change of career (as I did) at one time....But, no way would I cut off my foot or my hand because I didn't like my job. Feel it's pretty evident this man has mental issues, and hoping he will get some help dealing with them...and if he gets well....he's gonna think...."What the hell did I do to my foot"?
I guess ya just tell him his foot's cooked!
Unread 04-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
kokonut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Puts a new meaning to the phrase "put one's foot in one's mouth." Maybe a dash of salt would be needed in this instance.

bleh...

Unread 04-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
diehardbiker

Dude, do you understand my point? Where is his side of story? This is only side that we hear "Authorities" said so, should I believe them right off bat? I don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonut View Post
Dude, the guy sawed off his foot and put it in his oven and cooked it so it couldn't be re-attached, and then called emergency services. The dude is obviously sick in his mind the effort to continue to avoid any kind of work and receive jobless benefits instead.

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 04-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
kokonut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Dude, do you understand my point? Where is his side of story? This is only side that we hear "Authorities" said so, should I believe them right off bat? I don't!
He sawed off his own foot. No indication of a crime committed against him by sawing off his foot. He did it on his own. Nobody is with a full deck when a person amputates one of his own appendages on purpose.

World News - Man cuts off foot, throws it in furnace to avoid job assignment

Unread 04-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #23
diehardbiker

I know, need not to repeat what happened. My point here is, where is his story? It is way too extreme to do this without good reason. Perhaps he is actually too sick and couldn't do anything but the agent may not believe him and denied. He may have to reach the point of despair enough. There is something fishy between agency and this poor guy.

Sometimes medias do stretch the story, add something that is not true and omitted something that may be important part of story, you know. I don't trust these medias.

Do you really believe that media are 100% truthful? I don't.

Quote:
He sawed off his own foot. No indication of a crime committed against him by sawing off his foot. He did it on his own. Nobody is with a full deck when a person amputates one of his own appendages on purpose.

World News - Man cuts off foot, throws it in furnace to avoid job assignment

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 04-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suspect there is probably mental illness or possible drug abuse in this situation. We just don't have all the facts.
Unread 04-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #25
kokonut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He sawed off his own foot. Or are you suggesting that he didn't do that to himself? And that the media is twisting or conflating the story?

Unread 04-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
diehardbiker

There is no answer to this question, if he did then there has to be reason behind. I am not suggesting that he didn't, what I am asking is where is his story? You know. Media said he won't take job and has illness. This is telling me that there is more to this story that has been left off. The question I have been ponder, what kind of job was offered to him? PLUS what kind of illness he has? These two questions I am asking can reveal more to the story, know what I mean?

Not every jobs is for everyone. For example; Can every one of you take this job that requires one cleaning a crime scene that involves multiple bloody murders? I mean, cleaning up sounded easy but when it comes to detail on job description (Like I just described), some people would throw up on this one.

Quote:
He sawed off his own foot. Or are you suggesting that he didn't do that to himself? And that the media is twisting or conflating the story?

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #27
kokonut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
I know, need not to repeat what happened. My point here is, where is his story? It is way too extreme to do this without good reason. Perhaps he is actually too sick and couldn't do anything but the agent may not believe him and denied. He may have to reach the point of despair enough. There is something fishy between agency and this poor guy.

Sometimes medias do stretch the story, add something that is not true and omitted something that may be important part of story, you know. I don't trust these medias.

Do you really believe that media are 100% truthful? I don't.
Regardless, his own reasoning caused him to think that sawing off his foot was the answer. That alone doesn't resonate as a person with a full deck.

Unread 04-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #28
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Regardless, his own reasoning caused him to think that sawing off his foot was the answer. That alone doesn't resonate as a person with a full deck.
Ya think?
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #29
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:

In bold, yup, same goes with me, addition to safety issue due to usher syndrome and balance problem. I only can work in office with computer and other some tasks that related to computers.

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #30
TinCanSailor
Premium Member

Liked 62 Times in 14 Posts
I don't think he has a leg to stand on concerning benefits. I see where he nearly died on the way to the hospital....he already has one foot in the grave.

Oh wait, he can't do that on one foot.