My Name is Earl

Cousin Vinny

Reaction score
I guess no one here watches the show? I just watched tonight's episode, and my profession was capably represented yet again by Marlee. (I wonder if she's been forever typecast as an attorney? Is that even a good thing? ;) ) The episode was funny, as usual, but I can see it skate close to sensitive areas involving the Deaf spectrum. (i.e., peddling pencils, handing out Braille stuff...)

My take? Nothing in comedy is sacred, and Deaf people and culture is of no exception. It's refreshing to see shows like this, where we can poke a little bit of fun on ourselves. (I also suspect Marlee had some input in tonight's episode's creative processes.)

Also, doesn't Marlee look a little bit... different? But that's another topic for another day, I guess! ;)

What? Marlee Matlin was on Earl? I'll have to catch that episode on DVD. And espeically if MM had a hand in spoofing herself.. :D

yes Marleen Matlin appear twice follow by last week Thursday and yesterday. Unfortunately, I was there to watch. I'm looking forward on DVD later.

yeah my mom said it was funny.. I missed the show! dang! I will have to wait till it come out on rerun or on dvd ha. :)

I am sure it will continue this show for joy's new lawyer, Marlee. It will be there until Joy get her problem sort out. Maybe two more shows with marlee. Yes, you did miss last tuesday. It was funny. I always watch Earl.

Like all the jokes in the show, they were making fun of the main characters (Joy and Crabman in this case), not the deaf. It was pretty plain that Marlee's character was an intelligent woman who deserved respect and Joy was the idiot redneck who didn't know how to handle it.

I thought it was funny, but even more so because I swear there isn't much Joy said that I haven't actually heard in real life at one point or another! The Braille thing particularly hit home. When someone told me long ago "interpreters always get asked if they know Braille" I thought "yeah, right." Well that joke was on me!

Like all the jokes in the show, they were making fun of the main characters (Joy and Crabman in this case), not the deaf. It was pretty plain that Marlee's character was an intelligent woman who deserved respect and Joy was the idiot redneck who didn't know how to handle it.

I agree. There was one point during a supposedly "tender moment" when Joy really was pleading to Marlee's character to help her. Her character, feeling sorry for Joy (what-ever!!) used her voice and siad something along the lines (i forget the exact response) "I'll be happy to help you". Don't you know that that trailer-park heffer Joy actually made fun of Marlee's speaking voice?? She apoligized of course, but then said: "If you only know how ridiculous you sound right now!" I was like, ouch! Just toss her in prison, already.

Via 8700g~
This show is totally comedy tv! I like to tell you, I knew him who he is. He and I were used to hang out to ride skateboard around L.A. and S.F.for long times ago before he became actor of this big show. He is total cool and friendly person that I personaly know very well.

Back