Flying the friendly skies

LoveBlue

Reaction score
I recently flew on Delta and was curious how other airlines are when it comes to deaf/HoH awareness.

When I booked my flight, there was a way to indicate that I was deaf/HoH on the "form", which I checked off.

I was ok in the airport since there were plenty of screens with info on them. And I had my daughter w/me. Had I been alone, I might have "checked in" with the gate attendant to let them know of my hearing difficulties.

When I was on the plane, the flight attendant indicated he knew I was deaf/HoH and was checking on me. Since I hear ok with my HAs, had my daughter with me (though she was sitting in front of me) and the fact the flight instructions were on the tv screen w/closed captioning, I felt I was ok. Actually, I don't recall what he said, but that was more of a hard-of-listening issue (mental, not physical) than hard-of-hearing. :D

Do other airlines "ask" if you're deaf/HoH when you book your flights? If they do, or you have told them anyway, do the flight attendants acknowledge it so that you know they're aware of it in case there's an emergency?

I checked that I am deaf and when I got out of flight in New Orleans, there was a crew member waiting next to wheelchair with my name on it. I was puzzled and so was he. We had a good laugh :lol:

I checked that I am deaf and when I got out of flight in New Orleans, there was a crew member waiting next to wheelchair with my name on it. I was puzzled and so was he. We had a good laugh :lol:

did you accept? i mean, why walk when you can ride? :giggle:

I fly often on different airlines (depending on which is cheaper to the city I am traveling to). I've had a few minor issues. Only once did someone come up to me on the plane because I check 'deaf'. Most of the time my challenge is the announcement at the gate telling us what is going on and when to board the plane. I usually shut my CI off on the plane because, what is there to hear??? What do you want to drink? water! Do you want a snack? Yes. I did have one time a steward spent time on the flight to chat with me. That was nice. I asked her to join me for lunch in the terminal (I had a wait to the connecting flight) but she had another flight. :(

*sitting on the Psychologist chair*
*Sob* And I never got over the rejection! I just don't know anymore.
- Ahh, I see, and how did that make you feel? Hummm???
*blow nose* Oh Doc, I feel like CRAP can you cure me???
- Ahh, I think its too soon to talk about a cure, tell me about your childhood.
*sniff* Ok, doc, if you think that best... You see, I was born at a very early age...

I fly often on different airlines (depending on which is cheaper to the city I am traveling to). I've had a few minor issues. Only once did someone come up to me on the plane because I check 'deaf'. Most of the time my challenge is the announcement at the gate telling us what is going on and when to board the plane. I usually shut my CI off on the plane because, what is there to hear??? What do you want to drink? water! Do you want a snack? Yes. I did have one time a steward spent time on the flight to chat with me. That was nice. I asked her to join me for lunch in the terminal (I had a wait to the connecting flight) but she had another flight. :(

*sniff* Ok, doc, if you think that best... You see, I was born at a very early age...

A good psychologist would never ask, "How did that make you feel?":P

Does the air pressure changes in the plane bother your ears. I have problems just driving up a slight altitude change. My ears get pressure and hurt. Actually, they have been that way since the time i became deaf. I'm afraid to even try flying. We really need to fly to Chicago to visit husbands family but I'm scared to death. I'll probably have him go alone until I figure this all out.

The wheelchair story was pretty funny. Thanks for all the information. It would have taken me years ro figure most of this out. You are all awsome!!!!!

Does the air pressure changes in the plane bother your ears. I have problems just driving up a slight altitude change. My ears get pressure and hurt. Actually, they have been that way since the time i became deaf. I'm afraid to even try flying. We really need to fly to Chicago to visit husbands family but I'm scared to death. I'll probably have him go alone until I figure this all out.

The wheelchair story was pretty funny. Thanks for all the information. It would have taken me years ro figure most of this out. You are all awsome!!!!!

Pressure changes bother everyone's ears. I chew gum and that seems to help. :dunno:

I always go to the gate and let them know I can't here the announcements and let them know which bar they can find me in if there is a gate change. Never really had a problem.

I realize that our ears hurt when flying. My question is does it get worse when you lose your hearing, because I have loud noises all day long with pressure since the day i lost my hearing. Can only imagine how much it would hurt now to fly.

I realize that our ears hurt when flying. My question is does it get worse when you lose your hearing, because I have loud noises all day long with pressure since the day i lost my hearing. Can only imagine how much it would hurt now to fly.

Everybody is different. I haven't noticed any pain.

Angle1989, have you considered taking a train to Chicago? I'd guess the Southwest Cheif would be better than the California Zephyr as far as ear pressure is concerned.

Wirelessly posted (Backberry)

jillio said:

A good psychologist would never ask, "How did that make you feel?":P

Ah, well, ny experience with therapy consists of two sessions with a couples counsler in which I attended alone.

I don't think flying is deaf-friendly at all, regardless of the airline. When on extended flights, I always inquire if captioning is available for the in-flight movies. Of course, the attendants say "no", so I always fill out the proffered comment card.

On a very long and expensive flight to Italy, the movie headset for coach class were ear buds, which obviously do not work with BTE HAs. I noticed first class had the big doughnut-cushioned headphones, and nicely asked the flight attendant for one of those while flashing my HAs. I was told "no, those are only for first class." Oh really? A swift lecture on ADA sent them scurrying back with a set of first class headphones and, of course, a comment card.

I never asked for any special treatments because I was deaf. Last time I flew I went to the gate and then asked attendant if I was in right gate. I just wanted to make sure. Please let me know when people are getting on? We all have our own eyes and we can see when we have to get in line to get on plane.

Because of my daughter living in AZ, I am becoming a seasoned airport visitor so I have learned all the strategies to keep myself updated of flights. Also, flying everywhere when I was a Gallaudet student also helped me. I got to know their routines and regulations pretty well so I feel I dont need to be updated with everything.

How's that?

We ask, "How do you feel about that?" "How does that make you feel" implies that you are a victim to outside circumstances being able to "make" you feel one way or another. The whole idea behind empowerment is to teach that you have control over your feelings and your reactions. How does that "make" you feel gives the excuse to lay blame on everyone and everything else.

We ask, "How do you feel about that?" "How does that make you feel" implies that you are a victim to outside circumstances being able to "make" you feel one way or another. The whole idea behind empowerment is to teach that you have control over your feelings and your reactions. How does that "make" you feel gives the excuse to lay blame on everyone and everything else.

That makes sense. Why didn't I think of that before!?!

Awww....now I'm sad for you.

Thanks, but I am past all that crap. On to better things now.

Back