So my baby didn't pass her hearing screening

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
For her right ear, that is. The audiologist said she failed the test twice already and she'll have to take another one in a month from now.

Not that it's a "problem" to us or anything like that, but we were wondering if anyone here had their baby fail her/his hearing screening then passed later on?

By the way, my partner and I were not born like this, and there is no one in our family who is hearing impaired.

Discuss! :mrgreen:

Please do not use that "hearing impaired". We don't like that. Hello, your baby is deaf lol. Better learn ASL now. If doctor suggest you to get your child a CI. Don't get it. Let your child grow and understand how CI works then ask her to see if she want or not. it her choice. Also be sure your child learn ASL, not oral.

My two year old granddaughter passed her newborn screening and then didn't meet any milestones and learn speech.
Just in the past few months she was reassessed .
So I am not convinced of the reliability of those tests.

For her right ear, that is. The audiologist said she failed the test twice already and she'll have to take another one in a month from now.

Not that it's a "problem" to us or anything like that, but we were wondering if anyone here had their baby fail her/his hearing screening then passed later on?

By the way, my partner and I were not born like this, and there is no one in our family who is hearing impaired.

Oh, sure filf

My son was born and did not pass the hearing screening 3 times for 4 days later and then he passed. They believe that caused by the fluid.

my hub and I were born profoundly deaf with unknown causes. We both dont have any deaf relatives. Just that our babies are hearing.

I know one of my close friends who have the same situation as us except they have deaf kids unexpectedly. cool.

Please do not use that "hearing impaired". We don't like that. Hello, your baby is deaf lol. Better learn ASL now. If doctor suggest you to get your child a CI. Don't get it. Let your child grow and understand how CI works then ask her to see if she want or not. it her choice. Also be sure your child learn ASL, not oral.

If I were you, I could just ask him what he will do with her kid, instead of tell him what to do and what not to do. But don't worry, I'm sure he's great father. :)

It is not unusual at all for a child to fail the newborn screening, and then to show no problems later on. I would recommend not putting too much faith in the newborn screening. Basically it is just used to red flag infants that need to be checked later on.

Btw, congrats, Daddy!

My two year old granddaughter passed her newborn screening and then didn't meet any milestones and learn speech.
Just in the past few months she was reassessed .
So I am not convinced of the reliability of those tests.

You are absolutely correct. They are not as reliable as some would have you believe. They miss the mark in both directions way too much.

in case you didn't know - Alex is "The Boss" of this site :cool2:

Deaf Gene! and now the deaf generation begins with your baby :)

whatever happens - we've got your back! I agree with Frisky's post. It happens especially for newborns with fluid in their ears. I mean what do you expect since she was inside that big bag of water for 9 months? :lol:

Deaf Gene! and now the deaf generation begins with your baby :)

whatever happens - we've got your back! I agree with Frisky's post. It happens especially for newborns with fluid in their ears. I mean what do you expect since she was inside that big bag of water for 9 months? :lol:

yeah called "womb!"

Perhaps the doctor are looking too much into this as a precaution since both of you guys are deaf or HOH.

I would wait and see as she gets older. Babies tubes in their ears tend to not develope well enough to drain til they are older and she may still have fluids in her ears.

Which is one of the reason why babies need to drink or nurse upright. So the fluids do not build up in their ears.

LOL i was going to say it but let alex handle it. of course you are his wingman :giggle: just kidding kidding kidding

wingman? ppffftttt. Let's just say... I handle Alex's laundry, things like Barney. I make unpleasant decisions for him, which he can't and never will know. And he sleeps very well.

lol j/k but you'll have to guess where I get that line from :)

:hmm:
wingman? ppffftttt. Let's just say... I handle Alex's laundry, things like Barney. I make unpleasant decisions for him, which he can't and never will know. And he sleeps very well.

lol j/k but you'll have to guess where I get that line from :)

LOL I still think you, alex and other guys are cool when you all get together so DEAF NYC GUYS, or should I say, DEAF NYC BOYS? :hmm:

i know some of you guys are from NJ. i still call you all NYC. :o

Just had maternity rotation and labs..it's qui

Many babies have fluid left in their eat from te birth canal not expelling them properly..I wouldn't worry too much get her retested in a month and see:)

Enjoy getting to know your daughter. She's a cutie! :aw:

ik it can be overwhleming for new parents, but hey, my hearing loss was idenfited at 10 months old and got amplitcation at 18 months old.

Back