Black pastors bash NAACP for endorsing gay marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockin'robin

Reaction score
The Coalition of African American Pastors announced Tuesday that it does not agree with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People’s decision to endorse the legalization of same-sex marriage.

CAAP launched a petition last week to oppose broadening the legal definition of marriage.

The coalition includes leaders of black churches and veteran civil rights leaders who marched with Martin Luther King Jr.

The NAACP voted to endorse same-sex marriage Saturday, and NAACP President Benjamin Jealous publicly endorsed gay marriage Monday.

“The NAACP has abandoned its historic responsibility to speak for and safeguard the civil rights movement,” CAAP founder and President William Owens said Tuesday. “We who marched with Rev. King did not march one inch or one mile to promote same-sex marriage.”

Jealous called gay marriage a civil right, and said he believes “it is the responsibility, the history of the NAACP to speak up on the civil rights issues of our times.”

CAAP says it believes gay Americans should have equal civil rights, but that it does not believe there should be a right to legally marry someone of the same sex.

On behalf of the coalition, Owens said, “We call on all Americans to respect the legitimate civil rights of gay people to be free from violence, harassment, to vote, to hold jobs.”

Owens drew from King’s “Letter From Birmingham Jail” to explain what he believes is the difference between a just and unjust law.

According to Owens, a just law is a man-made code that squares with the law of God, and an unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with moral law.

Owens also drew from St. Thomas Aquinas and said, “An unjust law is a human law that is not rooted in eternal law and natural law.”

“Same-sex marriage is an attempt to do the opposite of what Rev. King did,” Owens said. “It’s an attempt by men to use political power to declare that an act contrary to God’s law and to the natural law is a civil right.”

CAAP held a press conference last week in Memphis, where King died, to call on President Barack Obama to reconsider his support for gay marriage.

“Our only weapons in this fight are the weapons of Rev. King: truth and love and courage,” Owens said.

Black pastors bash NAACP for endorsing gay marriage - Yahoo! News

Glad to see some folks united in the effort within the black race. Good for them.

Well, gay marriage is personal issue so it is none of their business to interfere our rights to marry.

Glad to see some folks united in the effort within the black race. Good for them.

If you don't approve gay marriage, that's fine with me but don't interfere with our government by adopt your bogus, religious belief. It is none of your business.

If you don't approve gay marriage, that's fine with me but don't interfere with our government by adopt your bogus, religious belief. It is none of your business.

Sorry buddy but it is my business and my beliefs are not bogus! Good day sir!

Sorry buddy but it is my business and my beliefs are not bogus! Good day sir!

It is none of your business to put your bogus belief in government's mouth and government represent everyone, not just only for anti-gay Christians as special treatment.

Legalize gay marriage isn't going affect your life so quit being whine about our government being gay friendly.

It is none of your business to put your bogus belief in government's mouth and government represent everyone, not just only for anti-gay Christians as special treatment.

Legalize gay marriage isn't going affect your life so quit being whine about our government being gay friendly.

Welcome to America my friend! How long have you ben here now?!

Welcome to America my friend! How long have you ben here now?!

I was born in America - North Carolina.

Integrate the religious into government is against American culture and very unpatriotic.

We as Americans are gladly to have diverse in our country with many cultures and different religions.

I support government to be free away from religions because not everyone have same religions as you do.

I was born in America - North Carolina.

Integrate the religious into government is against American culture and very unpatriotic.

We as Americans are gladly to have diverse in our country with many cultures and different religions.

I support government to be free away from religions because not everyone have same religions as you do.

You do realize a person can be against gay marriage without being religious, right?

You do realize a person can be against gay marriage without being religious, right?

Well, majority of same sex marriage opponents are religious reason.

The marriage is already in government's hand so we will fight so hard to have full equality.

Are you sure???? Do you have stats to back that up?

Are you living in the institution?

I already heard from numerous people who opposed gay marriage because of religious reason.

There is no stats because no one conduct the research.

Are you living in the institution?

I already heard from numerous people who opposed gay marriage because of religious reason.

There is no stats because no one conduct the research.

Ah, so you are guessing. :cool2:

Umm, I asked if you could support your claim....you said no. Nothing to quibble about

Of course because no one conduct the research.

I wish that they did.

What you want from me? Do you want to quibbling with me?

I think he just wanted statistics backing up your claim. That is not quibbling. He was asking you to verify what you said.

Also, I know this would interest you - more democrats are voting against Obama now in the primaries. It does not look like he will get re-elected.

I think he just wanted statistics backing up your claim. That is not quibbling. He was asking you to verify what you said.

Also, I know this would interest you - more democrats are voting against Obama now in the primaries. It does not look like he will get re-elected.

Not because of same sex marriage, it is because of Obama's economy policies and jobs.

There has never been a successful culture anywhere at any time that redefined marriage to mean something other than between opposite genders of human beings. Making such a sweeping redefinition of a basic human institution- and doing it by resorting to the full force of government- is everybody's business. It's my government, too, and government should not be in the business of redefining marriage.

There has never been a successful culture anywhere at any time that redefined marriage to mean something other than between opposite genders of human beings. Making such a sweeping redefinition of a basic human institution- and doing it by resorting to the full force of government- is everybody's business. It's my government, too, and government should not be in the business of redefining marriage.

The marriage is ALREADY in government's hand.

I'm going FIGHT as I can to have full equality in marriage.

If you do not like so please tell them to privatizing of marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back