Small dogs and hawks - bad combination!

Beach girl

Reaction score
Someone on my poodle list posted this. The video is not captioned, but is a graphic example of what can happen to a small dog picked off by a hawk. This little one lived to bark about it, thankfully, but you can see by the wounds and stitches how serious the injuries were.

Just a warning to really beware of hawks or any predator birds in your vicinity, and never leave small dogs or puppies out in the back yard unattended.

Hawk Snatches Family Dogs - Fox News Video - FoxNews.com

Edited to add: Even crows are predators, and can pick off a small puppy. Crows are a lot more common than hawks and you might not think of them as being a danger. They are.

We have hawks and are always very conscious of watching our dogs in the yard. I am glad the little dog survived.

Oh yes! Several years ago, there was this Hawk that stayed basically in the same tree and often got onto the roof of a House across the street. He would soar overhead also. MY doggie was about 15 lbs. then (now deceased), and I went out with her all the time. Felt sorry for the cats out there!..The Hawk would "swoop" very low trying to catch a cat, but luckily, the cat got away....Finally, the Hawk moved on, tho'!

Guess what... that town are closer my town! :shock: I am not surprised!

Yesterday, I was on the way to college. I looked up the sky and about five crow birds tried attack the huge hawk. My nearby two large grocery stores have several posts of lost cats and two puppies! I did warning to my daughter to make sure the leash with new coming puppy this Sat!:eek3:

One time, My boyfriend and I were at my horse's run in shed. I saw the huge hawk flew lower on the pasture's ground and looked alike from 5 to 6 ft wide the wings!:shock:

Oh boy, we have to watch out for our dogs! I wish that I have a gun to shoot a hawk flying around my property. I have seen it everyday. There must be a nest somewhere near my property.

Oh boy, we have to watch out for our dogs! I wish that I have a gun to shoot a hawk flying around my property. I have seen it everyday. There must be a nest somewhere near my property.

You serious? :(

Hawks are protected species. My boyfriend and I rescue birds from idiots that shoots them.

If you have a small dog or animal it is best to keep a look out. I have seen an Owl take off with a chihuahua before and dropped it to the ground. Dog ended up surviving the ordeal. Indeed it is what hawks do. They are bird of prey.

Hawks are protected species. My boyfriend and I rescue birds from idiots that shoots them.

If you have a small dog or animal it is best to keep a look out. I have seen an Owl take off with a chihuahua before and dropped it to the ground. Dog ended up surviving the ordeal. Indeed it is what hawks do. They are bird of prey.

That's nice of you to rescue them. Do you have a wild animal recuse organization for your business as a non-profit organization?

That's nice of you to rescue them. Do you have a wild animal recuse organization for your business as a non-profit organization?

It is for B.E.A.K.S (Bird Emergency Aid & Kare Sanctuary) It is a non-profit organization that we VOLUNTEER our time to help. I do not own it nor run it.

I was just talking to one of my neighbor about this yesterday!! I was telling I have to be careful a hawk will not attack Marty as he only 13 lbs! My neighbor
said a hawk would not go after Marty! I heard of another small dog that was being walked on a leash and a hawk tried to fly of with the dog! The owner was able to pull the dog away from the hawk!! I been letting Marty play outside., I have a real long leash on him, and tried to watch out for hawks flying around us! I will live in Massachusetts too!

13 lbs is small enough that you should pay attention to hawks.

Poodle breeders that I know who live in an area where there are hawks built a covered play area for their puppies outside. Nothing fancy, just a canvas cover that attaches to the top of the exercise pen (very tall sides). That keeps them out of sight from the hawks until they grow big enough to not be tempting.

I am not worry about hawk but i do worry about owl. Hawks around here are too small but owl, found cat's leg in backyard one day then my husband found a small dog's leg. Grrr. Our neighbor told us that their cat was carried away by owl. We keep eye on our small dog because of owl. Ravens here never hurt our little dog. When we visited my brother's place few weeks ago, I was worried about those two kind of birds there, eagle and owl. Found many squirrels skulls on the drive way from owl's poops. For the first time I saw an eagle got a squirrel and flew it in the claw. I wish I could take picture. Yeah small dogs can be take away even by coyotes around here.

Wirelessly posted

You guys know that historically toy dogs were never allowed to leave the house? The idea of them being allowed outside, other than being go-to-ground terriers, is relatively recent.

Wirelessly posted

You guys know that historically toy dogs were never allowed to leave the house? The idea of them being allowed outside, other than being go-to-ground terriers, is relatively recent.

I didn't know that. We have a fenced yard, and try to be in the yard with them when they go outside.

The hawk actually live in a big group of pine trees in the front. I feel lucky we live in the city and have a never ending supply of pigeons . So bountiful that my husband is usually picking up a wing or two every week.

I didn't know that. We have a fenced yard, and try to be in the yard with them when they go outside.

The hawk actually live in a big group of pine trees in the front. I feel lucky we live in the city and have a never ending supply of pigeons . So bountiful that my husband is usually picking up a wing or two every week.

Yes, most of the toy dogs were kept by royalty, nobles and upperclasses. The Japanese Chin was bred to be so small, they were suppose to be tucked in kimono. Sorry, I just find it amusing when dogs leave the realm they were traditionally raise to be in, people cry bloody murder.

Especially up here, where some people let their retrievers free-roam the countryside, then they complain when a wolf ate them. Um...

Sure it is so lucky.

A few years ago, my brother in law told me that one bald eagle swooped and grabbed a puppy for his dinner near our hometown. :(

The nest on top of tree at top of forested mountain can be viewed directly from my bedroom in my family house. Seahawks, golden eagles and bald eagles have taken over it in turns for many years.

4 hawks wanted Marty for their dinner! :(

I had Marty outside on a 20ft leash in the backyard so he could play.
I happen to look up in the sky and saw 4 hawks flying around, they where rather low! I picked up Marty and hurried back to the house and the hawks followed us, one hawk started to swoop down toward us ! It was too close for comfort! I had no idea if the hawk would had tried to take Marty from my arms!! I did see on the news some time ago a hawk had attacked a small dog while is owner was walking it! The owner was able to pull the poor dog away!
I will have to real careful letting Marty play outside!!

Wow! He probably did have his eye on little Marty. I'm glad you saw the hawks in time and got yourself and Marty safely away.

Back