Vote? ID required....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing new, we have been doing this in Canada for a good while.

Nothing new, we have been doing this in Canada for a good while.

Yup. Yesterday our Immigration Minister officially announced the Muslim women must show their face when they were to swear on oath to become Canadians. It means they have to undo their niqab or burka.

I think the U.S. should do the same as we do.

Yup. Yesterday our Immigration Minister officially announced the Muslim women must show their face when they were to swear on oath to become Canadians. It means they have to undo their niqab or burka.

I think the U.S. should do the same as we do.

It doesn't make sense to take a photo ID If you can't see the face. No disrespect to the religious followers, but there's a lot of good reasons why we use photo IDs. So they'll have to do their part too.

I think so too, in this regard.

I do not see anything wrong with requiring picture ID, or with registering to vote at least 30 days before the election, either.

I'd like to see post offices perhaps be empowered to grant such IDs for non-drivers (the same way you can apply for a passport at the post-office), in order to expand accessibility beyond the driver's license that some people may not be qualified for.

That said, nothing wrong at all with making sure that voters really are legitimate voters, and that the person showing up at the polling station is indeed who he/she claims to be.

I think so too, in this regard.

I do not see anything wrong with requiring picture ID, or with registering to vote at least 30 days before the election, either.

I'd like to see post offices perhaps be empowered to grant such IDs for non-drivers (the same way you can apply for a passport at the post-office), in order to expand accessibility beyond the driver's license that some people may not be qualified for.

That said, nothing wrong at all with making sure that voters really are legitimate voters, and that the person showing up at the polling station is indeed who he/she claims to be.

Yes, we do have photo identification card for non-drivers in Ontario. The purpose of the card is to make access to Ontario services much easier for individuals and families.

Welcome to America. You are going to show your face. Don't like it? GTFO.

It doesn't make sense to take a photo ID If you can't see the face. No disrespect to the religious followers, but there's a lot of good reasons why we use photo IDs. So they'll have to do their part too.

What about fingerprints?

That should eliminate a few votes for the Dems. Good job. Now to figure out some other ways... :hmm:

Yes, we do have photo identification card for non-drivers in Ontario. The purpose of the card is to make access to Ontario services much easier for individuals and families.

We do too. Sometimes poor people complain that it is difficult to get those state-issued identification cards, and I'm arguing that accessibility should be made easier. Post offices are usually fairly easy to get to, as compared to DMVs (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) which sometimes are not that easy to reach by public transportation.

So while I think there is no problem with requiring a photo ID, it should also be, in an ideal world, reasonably easy to get to a place that can issue those IDs, to make them more accessible to the population they need to serve.

We do too. Sometimes poor people complain that it is difficult to get those state-issued identification cards, and I'm arguing that accessibility should be made easier. Post offices are usually fairly easy to get to, as compared to DMVs (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) which sometimes are not that easy to reach by public transportation.

So while I think there is no problem with requiring a photo ID, it should also be, in an ideal world, reasonably easy to get to a place that can issue those IDs, to make them more accessible to the population they need to serve.

I'm not sure how your post office is operated in the USA, it seems different from what we do here. We can apply or renew our passports through Canada Post, but we have to obtain our photo identification cards through a government office. They are somewhat easy to deal with provided that you have the required documents. The post office here is able to do a number of services, but there are a lot they cannot perform since it is out of their range.

I remember how different it was a few years ago compared to now. We are now able to obtain government services through the internet. Although we still do have to renew our photo IDs at the government office since they need to take new pictures of us.

I'm not sure how your post office is operated in the USA, it seems different from what we do here. We can apply or renew our passports through Canada Post, but we have to obtain our photo identification cards through a government office. They are somewhat easy to deal with provided that you have the required documents. The post office here is able to do a number of services, but there are a lot they cannot perform since it is out of their range.

I remember how different it was a few years ago compared to now. We are now able to obtain government services through the internet. Although we still do have to renew our photo IDs at the government office since they need to take new pictures of us.
that's for passport but for state-issued ID... only DMV can issue that. Beach Girl would like to see that Post Office can do that too.

Yes, those "poor people" have to find a way to get to the local licensing department, pay the fee, wait in line; all to be allowed to vote. Some of those folks need to skip medications or eat; their choice. Imagine tossing this into their budget. Perhaps they can collect fees at the voting booths as well. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back