Deaf State?

deafbajagal

Reaction score
John J. Flournoy in the mid-1800's wanted to start a colony for Deaf people. His idea of a deaf state (now Utah) was mocked by most of his colleagues.

At one time there was a flourishing deaf community in Martha's Vineyard that lived there for several generations. Even hearing people knew sign language, according to the book Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard.

There are some deaf communities across America that were formed for this purpose.

What do you think? Would you live in a deaf city or state, where everyone uses sign language including the folks at Wal-Mart, postal carriers, mayor, and news anchors?

John J. Flournoy in the mid-1800's wanted to start a colony for Deaf people. His idea of a deaf state (now Utah) was mocked by most of his colleagues.

At one time there was a flourishing deaf community in Martha's Vineyard that lived there for several generations. Even hearing people knew sign language, according to the book Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard.

There are some deaf communities across America that were formed for this purpose.

What do you think? Would you live in a deaf city or state, where everyone uses sign language including the folks at Wal-Mart, postal carriers, mayor, and news anchors?

This is new to me. Interesting history! IF God wants me to move to that town then let it to be.

There's been talk for several years now of establishing a "deaf town" somewhere in South Dakota but that was recently dropped and another one is being looked at somewhere in the great State of Indiana. And, no, that wouldn't be a place for me.....to visit, sure but that's it.

Rochester, NY - one of the largest deaf populations per capita.
Should I live in Rochester? No thanks!

Maryland

I've been to Rochester, New York . . . it's a small city and, compared to many major cities, it's . . . small. I don't include college students. I include registered residents (out of 216,000 residents).

The largest (per capita in the world) Deaf community is the Baltimore-Washington corridor (that is, Batimore and, in between included, Washington, D.C.). (more than 2,511,000 registered residents)

The reasons are: The American Federal Government's willingness to hire Deaf employees (legal reasons cited) & Gallaudet University's (the world's only liberal arts college/university for the d/Deaf) location.

Agencies and researchers within or from Maryland have often included the Deaf community. More research, observation, and statistics come from Deaf Maryland than from Deaf Anywhere.

The Laurent Company (or institute . . . or whatever they call themselves) was seeking to build a "deaf town" in South Dakota. They have reconsidered and seek to build in Indianapolis (somewhere in Indiana, apparently). They say:

"Our goal is fairly simple: To build a town that is fully integrated and accessible for all residents on a bilingual basis — English and American Sign Language. Residents will not be required to know sign language before they move in. Anyone who wants to run for a city office or a political office would need to know ASL."

No matter what anyone says . . . the ultimate Deaf Town is the Baltimore-Washington Corridor.

Last edited:
I would if it is located in warm weather place. Not California nor Washington, DC. Let me know if there is such as a deaf city in warm spot.

I've been to Rochester, New York . . . it's a small city and, compared to many major cities, it's . . . small. I don't include college students. I include registered residents (out of 216,000 residents).

The largest (per capita in the world) Deaf community is the Baltimore-Washington corridor (that is, Batimore and, in between included, Washington, D.C.). (more than 2,511,000 registered residents)

The reasons are: The American Federal Government's willingness to hire Deaf employees (legal reasons cited) & Gallaudet University's (the world's only liberal arts college/university for the d/Deaf) location.

Agencies and researchers within or from Maryland have often included the Deaf community. More research, observation, and statistics come from Deaf Maryland than from Deaf Anywhere.

The Laurent Company (or institute . . . or whatever they call themselves) was seeking to build a "deaf town" in South Dakota. They have reconsidered and seek to build in Indianapolis (somewhere in Indiana, apparently). They say:

"Our goal is fairly simple: To build a town that is fully integrated and accessible for all residents on a bilingual basis — English and American Sign Language. Residents will not be required to know sign language before they move in. Anyone who wants to run for a city office or a political office would need to know ASL."

No matter what anyone says . . . the ultimate Deaf Town is the Baltimore-Washington Corridor.

I should move back there, I was born in Baltimore. I have lived in WV 22 years. And WV. does not have anything for the deaf and hoh.The crime in Baltimore is so bad I will have to think on this. Thank you for the info.:cool:

I would but I am hearing so I would hope people there were hearing friendly.

I would but I am hearing so I would hope people there were hearing friendly.

I would welcome you. I understand what you are getting at and that is why I don't think I can speak for every deaf person. Those who don't want any hearing people should realized that the more people (deaf/hoh/hearing) the better for us to change the laws to improve the deaf people's life. They also should realized that most of us can't have deaf babies (darn!) and our kids would be most likely hearing. That is why I think 'dearies' should be part of the deaf community.

While it will be so nice not to fight for access rights (such as getting an interpreter at a doctor's office or with a lawyer, etc), I wouldnt want to live in a fish bowl or deal with the most negative aspect of Deaf Community on a daily basis which is idle gossip - unfortunately it is a huge part of the Deaf Community and I would rather sacrifice, in order to lead a private and drama-free life.

While it will be so nice not to fight for access rights (such as getting an interpreter at a doctor's office or with a lawyer, etc), I wouldnt want to live in a fish bowl or deal with the most negative aspect of Deaf Community on a daily basis which is idle gossip - unfortunately it is a huge part of the Deaf Community and I would rather sacrifice, in order to lead a private and drama-free life.

Ahhhh......unfortunately, Gemma, idle gossip is an unpleasant part of the hearing community as well. The type of person who survives on gossip and drama exists everywhere.:cool:

I have never heard of something called "Deaf town" which I find it very interesting. But the post topic says "Deaf State" can't put two things on the topic either post "deaf state or deaf town" I doubt you can call it "deaf state" USA have already named 50 states so I think it would been better to called it "deaf town". Someone must have come up with insteresting way to set up a deaf town for deaf people. I wish u good luck.

Deaf Towns

Information on U.S.A.'s Deaf Town:

"Laurent Town"

YouTube - Marvin Miller
in ASL, not captioned

Welcome to Laurent
three "concept drawings" on display here

There is currently a Deaf Town in Israel. This was covered by the Wall Street Journal's Leisure & Arts column.
Signs and Wonders
An Israeli town where people talk with their hands--literally.
OpinionJournal - Leisure & Arts
BY MICHAEL PHILIPS
Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:01 a.m. EDT

In the southern Israeli desert of Negev lies a community called Al-Sayyid. Inhabited by approximately 3,500 Bedouin, an Arab nomadic tribe that settled the area about 200 years ago, the village may seem rather humdrum at first glance. That is, until you see the villagers interacting--by making signs with their hands.

In Al-Sayyid, at least 150 residents are deaf, a rate 50 times greater than that of Israel's general population. As it happens, a recessive gene for profound deafness--traced back to sons of the "founding" couple--has made its way, through large families and genetic probabilities, into an ever-widening gene pool. Thus over three generations an extraordinarily high number of deaf children have been born to Al-Sayyid's villagers.

I do wonder about the "Deaf Town" concepts since a lot of Deaf retirement places (and some deaf section 8 facilities) end up having more hearing than deaf.

Ahhhh......unfortunately, Gemma, idle gossip is an unpleasant part of the hearing community as well. The type of person who survives on gossip and drama exists everywhere.:cool:

That is so true. I live in a state that is considered to have a large Deaf community but with some lines drawn (that took some practice on my part), I dont deal with much gossip and drama about my personal life. I just go to work, do my work, teach the kids, plan lessons for the next day and go home. Just keep my nose clean due to hard lessons learned. LOL!

My hubby said that people in his office gossip about the people in the other depts constantly.

It would be nice to live someplace where everyone can sign.

Ok, then I live in a Deaf State or Town! :giggle:

I should move back there, I was born in Baltimore. I have lived in WV 22 years. And WV. does not have anything for the deaf and hoh.The crime in Baltimore is so bad I will have to think on this. Thank you for the info.:cool:

I live in Baltimore and I have had no problems with crime. Important just use safety precautions. I lived in Rockville, which is considered a high class town in MD, for two years and a few women in my neighborhood got raped from jogging. Crime can happen anywhere.

:eek3::eek3:
I live in Baltimore and I have had no problems with crime. Important just use safety precautions. I lived in Rockville, which is considered a high class town in MD, for two years and a few women in my neighborhood got raped from jogging. Crime can happen anywhere.

Same here in Virginia and I totally agree with the statments about women protecting themselves against crimes. Crimes "do" happens anywhere in the states, countires or towns. :)

Back