Daughter's N6 Activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor1970

Reaction score
Ok, after months of petitioning the insurance company to change their policy to include minors suffering from SSHL, the change was made (to my amazement), and my daughter received full coverage for her implant.

She did well, and recovered quickly. She had a few days of normal dizziness, and after 5 weeks, she was activated yesterday.

Now, on her first activation in the office, she did hear all the test beeps the computer did during its initial configuration, and she said it sounded really strange. This is a great sign, which means the nerve is working, and not severely damaged or dead. So, everything is working as expected.

When the Audi finally turned it on, she jumped like crazy with a typical jolt and teenage OMG!!! response.

It was a sensation she has never had in that ear. It almost gave her a headache, which she started getting used to quickly. He turned it up 6 steps during the appointment, and gave a her a few more programmed increases to do on her own at home with her remote.

Now, as far as sound goes.

By that evening (last night) she said she could her rumbling when we speak, but not clearly. She still can't make out any words yet. She also could not make out any pitch when playing the individual keys on her piano. Granted this is only the first day. My hope as the days go on, her speech perception will get better, and eventually will hear the piano better as well.

For today, she did not take it to school. The Audi recommended to leave it home for a few days, because the noise at school may be too much for her. Other than that, nothing else to report.

I think the problem was she watched all those YouTube videos of people hearing really well right away, and went home a bit disappointed. I keep telling her, since she has been deaf in that ear since she was an infant, it will be a long term process, and not happen overnight. Keeping fingers crossed.

Nope, weeks and months before being able to understand speech are normal.

the rumble, ask the audi to check the power connection to the coil/implant. Mine made people sound like they were gargling water while talking. They bosted the power for the connection and it stopped. Being its the first activation/mapping it may be set too low.

My battery did last 18+ hours before, after the power boost it now lasts about 10 hours

I'm almost certain it is too low. She initially was very feint and dizzy, because those nerves have not been stimulated since infancy. He had it turned up just a few steps during the first session, and kept it very low, because her initial setting was giving her a head ache, so he even turned it down a notch from there. I'm quite certain once she gets used to the sensations, she will turn it up a few notches on her own, and want even more. It will just take time with her since she's been deaf so long.

Basically it's like waking up after 15 years and being expected to jump out of bed and run a marathon. It will take a lot of time for her to get fully used to it. I have no doubt the power is low, and maybe even her hair might be a slight factor as well, but I'm not too worried. I am just glad we know the nerve is active and everything is working as it should.

even now, some sounds rattle my head, makes me feel funny/dizzy type of deal... like it vibrates my brain or something.... its an odd feeling but I get used to it and eventually stops til next mapping. I actually have it now since the recent mapping but has subsided to an extent already.

even now, some sounds rattle my head, makes me feel funny/dizzy type of deal... like it vibrates my brain or something.... its an odd feeling but I get used to it and eventually stops til next mapping. I actually have it now since the recent mapping but has subsided to an extent already.
wow.. hopefully you can get that adjusted.

That happens to me- started in the last 5-6 years (two different pairs of hearing aids)- certain pitches/sounds just makes my head spin and makes me dizzy... not a good feeling. Mrs. Olsen's voice when she hits a certain tone lol (of little house on the prairie) did that.. so did the flute when niece played it.

That happens to me- started in the last 5-6 years (two different pairs of hearing aids)- certain pitches/sounds just makes my head spin and makes me dizzy... not a good feeling.

ha ha ha I've had that since a kid, there are certain wailing sounds that make me dizzy. An example is when I was playing a video game driving a ferrari f355 and there's a certain RPM range that makes me woozy so I ended up having to turn down the volume. There goes my dream of driving a ferrari :laugh2:

Quick Update:

Today my daughter started finally hearing my voice a bit. It has taken a few weeks, and two mapping appts so far, but it's coming around slowly. The rumbling and beeping of sounds are now slowly turning into robotic sounding words. And to top it off, she is gaining some pitch recognition. She started playing her piano again, and says she is just starting to recognize the pitch of the keys on the lower half of the keyboard. The higher notes are all still just vibrations.

This was darn near enough to bring me to tears, because she has been complaining quite a bit about getting some headaches from the implant, and hasn't been wearing it as much as she should. But now, she is excited to finally hear some things, and seems to "want" to try and wear it more often. She is still keeping the volume down, because she wants to wear it without getting headaches, but is slowly working her way up the ladder.

The outlook is very bright.

Sound effects while playing video games are f good too. Turn off background music as it makes the sound too complicated. Also don't push her to wear it anymore than she wants to or is comfortable to.

Quick Update:

Today my daughter started finally hearing my voice a bit. It has taken a few weeks, and two mapping appts so far, but it's coming around slowly. The rumbling and beeping of sounds are now slowly turning into robotic sounding words. And to top it off, she is gaining some pitch recognition. She started playing her piano again, and says she is just starting to recognize the pitch of the keys on the lower half of the keyboard. The higher notes are all still just vibrations.

This was darn near enough to bring me to tears, because she has been complaining quite a bit about getting some headaches from the implant, and hasn't been wearing it as much as she should. But now, she is excited to finally hear some things, and seems to "want" to try and wear it more often. She is still keeping the volume down, because she wants to wear it without getting headaches, but is slowly working her way up the ladder.

Thats great news. Progress may be slow but steady !

Quick Update:

Great to hear that!
Seems like our cases look so similar, I don't hear voices yet, but it is only 6 days since activation.

Been having a few little issues with mine, called yesterday and changed my appointment from 7/17 to 6/3 as its irritating.
Apparently my processor changed settings on its own? the warbling came back and I noticed the other day that the battery didnt die out about 430 as usual and lasted all night, so I know its the power for connecting to the implant issue again. They are wondering how it changed on its own as it is a program they have to map into the processor.... so, we shall see. Otherwise everything is great. On the weekends I dont have my son as this past weekend I like to go full deaf ( noticed today I left the bathroom fan on all night after cleaning to get the fumes out ) opps lol

Been having a few little issues with mine, called yesterday and changed my appointment from 7/17 to 6/3 as its irritating.
Apparently my processor changed settings on its own? the warbling came back and I noticed the other day that the battery didnt die out about 430 as usual and lasted all night, so I know its the power for connecting to the implant issue again. They are wondering how it changed on its own as it is a program they have to map into the processor.... so, we shall see. Otherwise everything is great. On the weekends I dont have my son as this past weekend I like to go full deaf ( noticed today I left the bathroom fan on all night after cleaning to get the fumes out ) opps lol

Using the mini mic with MP3 player and tv streamer is really nice, the phone clip is cool as well, but being a guy, I hate lugging all this crap around since women can throw it in the portable house they carry around called a purse...lol

Wish they could merge it all into just one portable device.

Condor1970.....that is great she is doing so well. Everyone progresses differently. At the beginning I definitely had to take breaks. That is exciting that she is starting to hear the piano again. I would love to hear my daughters playing the piano again. I go bilateral
July 15.

I'll send you a PM since this is Condor's thread.

Nah, don't worry about hijacking the thread. It's all good. In fact, any input I get on others experiences, including questions that may seem a bit off the wall, are still more than welcome, since it's basically a learning experience for all of us.

On another note. It seems my daughters advance in hearing is slowing. Primarily because she doesn't like wearing it to school, because it is not clear, and she can't concentrate in class with all the scratchy rumbling, and weird sounds it is making. She's only been wearing it a couple hours a night after school. Thus, her short usage is making it harder and taking longer for her to advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back