Looking for help on a project for learning ASL

Juniperarrow

Reaction score
Hi :)

My name is Becki. I am hard of hearing, though I only know a tiny amount of ASL. I am 23 years old and from Wisconsin. I am currently living in western Colorado.

Anyways, I have recently decided that I want to seriously learn ASL. I am currently participating in a gap year program and I have decided that for my independent studies project this month I would like to learn how to introduce myself in ASL and explain the basic story behind why I want to learn ASL. In two weeks or so, I want to make a video of myself signing my self-introduction and put it on my blog to share my progress.

I am looking for anyone who might be interested in helping me with this project. I typed out a script of what I want to say in English. I need someone (or several people) to show me how to say the same sentences in ASL over Skype (or similar platform). If possible, I would like to record our conversation so I can watch it over and over...watching carefully hand motions, facial expressions and movements, etc and practice copying them myself.

I would also be happy if there is anyone whom may not necessarily be interested helping me with this project but just wants to chat in ASL! (My level is very very basic at the moment but I believe I will get better pretty quickly if I spend a lot of time chatting and hanging out with those whom use ASL in their daily lives.)

Reply below if you are interested! :)

Skype ID: juniperarrow

Hi :) Thanks for the offer of help.

I uploaded a video of myself signing a really basic self introduction and a really really simplified explanation about why I am learning ASL.

Any feedback, comments, corrections, etc you might have would be great :)

Link:
https://youtu.be/SB286TtYTuc

The sign "live" I'd done against the body, "language" doesn't bounce apart. One smooth movement apart
Not sure what sign you are I using after "eat" Maybe you mean university or ??? Loosen up your wrists you don't need your whole arm to move for many signs. Like "we, people, sign" etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

The sign after eating is the sign for "artistic gymnastics" (a sport).

Thanks for the feedback.

The sign after eating is the sign for "artistic gymnastics" (a sport).
Interesting, You would need to fingerspell that and then show the sign for it unless you were also talking to people involved with the sport. It's like a regional sign. Only known to folks of a specific area.

Hi Becki,
You were much better in this video! Excellent progress. I understood everything you signed in the video, so that means you are communicating. As you gain experience, a lot of your signing will become more efficient. For now, keep building vocabulary and speed. Try not to translate in your head, but think in ASL. You'll get it!

Michael

Back