Goofs and gaffes by newly deaf?

DeafDoc1

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am newly deafened, having gone from mild to severe hearing loss literally overnight. Over the ensuing months, my hearing has deteriorated and I am now profoundly deaf.

I have made some funny and some scary goofs since becoming deaf. Some examples are
*leaving the water running in the sink
*leaving the kettle on the stove until it boiled dry
*picking up the phone and saying hello, then remembering I can't hear the caller :Oops:

What goofs have you made?

I still leave the water running. Thinking I turned it off with a twist of the knob. Later my Hubby would tell me "you left the water running!"

Born deaf and I still leave the water running.

i've also left the water running because i couldn't hear it. i have also adjusted my computer speakers (pre-CI) only to realize that i can't hear what's being played through them. as far as the phone is concerned, there have been times where one of my ci batteries have died, the phone rings, i place the handset against the deaf ear and can't hear anything.

I am newly deafened, having gone from mild to severe hearing loss literally overnight. Over the ensuing months, my hearing has deteriorated and I am now profoundly deaf.

I have made some funny and some scary goofs since becoming deaf. Some examples are
*leaving the water running in the sink
*leaving the kettle on the stove until it boiled dry
*picking up the phone and saying hello, then remembering I can't hear the caller :Oops:

What goofs have you made?

I've flooded the kitchen in my old apt more times than I care to remember by letting the water run in the sink. It makes the rug in the living room smell too. :P

I've a bad habit of letting the water in pots boil till I boil it dry.

I was born deaf too.

I've boiled water until it all evaporated, too. I always forget about what I'm cooking.

After I lost most of my hearing, I went an entire weekend before I realized that no one had forgotten me, I had just left my phone ringer on Normal and had 17 text messages.

picking up the phone and saying hello, then remembering I can't hear the caller

If you can't hear the other person, how'd you hear the phone? :D

I was born deaf and had left sinks, showers and baths running. I haven't had water boil dry on me because I always focus on what I'm cooking or making. I don't have speakers plugged into my computer except for the internal one and keep the sound muted. The TV is also turned down to nothing. I bet I'd forget to turn it up if I got a hearing visitor. :lol:

Glad to know I'm not the only born deaf to still leave the water running :D

done all that, left tapping running flooded half the house.. luckly I had insurance....

I never leave the water running, but my hearing daughter did that, went to sleep and flooded her apartment and the apartment next door.

once i lost all of my residual hearing following my second ci surgery, i started getting into the habit of immediately turning off the tap when i was finished. now it has become automatically engrained in me to where i no longer think about turning the tap off after i use it.

I have boiled a pot of macaroni dry - the only reason I remembered it was when I smelled something burning. I also managed to burn my coffee more than once using the perculator pot. :blush:

I also had visitors knocking on my door and I never realized it. (God forbid if someone actually tried to break in!)

I don't recall ever leaving the water running and forgetting it, but my mom who is hearing left the water running and answered the phone and managed to overrun the sink into the floor! Fortunately she caught it as it was starting to run into the floor and turned it off before it actually flooded the kitchen.

Another Ive done was have a lady repeating excuse me to get around me in a narrow aisle at the store. I never realized she was behind me, until she said - CAN YOU MOVE?! YOUR BLOCKING THE WAY! Oops.

i had a girl push me last weekend cuz i never heard her say excuse me...some ppl are just so rude!

I would have reached around and slapped the shit out of her if she had pushed me the way you described in the other thread.

Shortly after I lost my hearing and before I got my HAs, my grandmother and I went to Panera's for lunch and we were both facing the menu board and she told me that she wanted Broccoli and Cheddar soup in a Sourdough bowl. She went to find us a seat. I told the lady her order, and when I brought it back to the table my grandmother was a little confused as to why the soup was leaking. Apparently she wanted the soup with a sourdough roll.

Haha! This one made me laugh. "Hello? Hello? Anyone there? It's those damn prank callers again! If you don't stop harrass- crap, I forgot again! Uh... sorry, I used to not be deaf, but now I am, and but I forgot I was, but now I remember, so, uh... bye"

I'm gonna start doing that when telemarketers call. :devil:

My wife on rare occasions forgets to turn off the water or the garbage disposal. I put up a little reminder sign by the garbage disposal switch- "Please turn me off when you are finished"

Haha! This one made me laugh. "Hello? Hello? Anyone there? It's those damn prank callers again! If you don't stop harrass- crap, I forgot again! Uh... sorry, I used to not be deaf, but now I am, and but I forgot I was, but now I remember, so, uh... bye"

I'm gonna start doing that when telemarketers call. :devil:

My wife on rare occasions forgets to turn off the water or the garbage disposal. I put up a little reminder sign by the garbage disposal switch- "Please turn me off when you are finished"

Haha, speaking in tongues has that same effect on telemarketers. :lol:

I have sat at a red light before with a fire truck blaring behind me to move out of the way. Heard the Horn, but he was right on my tail. I got out of the way in the turning lane. geez! I know I must have pissed them off that day. Got a dirty look from them as they were passing me when I got out of the way.

i had a girl push me last weekend cuz i never heard her say excuse me...some ppl are just so rude!

I would have reached around and slapped the shit out of her if she had pushed me the way you described in the other thread.

Me too! :) LOL I have had that happen to me quite often, actually. Most people do say "excuse me" politely and quietly, but with me being as deaf as I am, any form of polite or quiet doesn't get heard and I eventually get cart-pushing monsters growling at me :)

ya the girl was quite the bitch..i mean a tap on the shoulder would have sufficed..i would have slapped her or punched her lol but we could get disqualified for that lol ( we were at a competition)

Back